Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jwang posted:

OBJECTION! I present cases of My Disciple Died Yet Again and Cultivation Chat Group as having just as good, if not better, protagonists.

Yeah, it's hard to beat MDDYA's protagonist. She is very funny and also a cool lady who knows what she wants and decides the solution to her uncertainty about her Master's romantic feelings towards her is to just grab and kiss him.

By the way, on the topic of Xianxia related stuff, Forge of Destiny continues to be really good and better than 95% of actual web novels I've read. All the characters are just so well thought out, and it's super refreshing to read something where everything doesn't revolve around or connect to the protagonist (this is honestly probably the biggest reason I like it). The author also comes up with a downright ridiculous variety of unique arts/techniques with their own cool effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Something that probably helps Forge of Destiny is that we aren't just mainlining through all the early training and stuff to get to the bit where you casually explode people the way a lot of xianxia seems to. And that the characters aren't one-dimensional assholes.

Except maybe Yan Renshu, but gently caress that guy. The playerbase is 110% done with his poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's sad that Su Ling is going to inevitably be pushed out of the plot, since there's no way she ends up an Inner Desciple. Ling Qi even realizes this and is trying to get her some other friends. Su Ling is the only truly decent character in this story aside from maybe Gan Guangli or Han Jian.

Regarding "power levels," it's nice that the stronger characters also keep training and Ling Qi still shows no sign of catching up with folks like Meizhen or Sun Liling (and the other high talent person, prisoner guy, is probably keeping up with her). I am curious how he'll manage to keep conflict going after Ling Qi becomes an Inner Desciple. I guess if conflict is allowed between lower and upper-classmen it could work.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

A Will Eternal is actually legitimately funny so far, mainly because Bai Xiaochun is a much better protagonist than literally any other xianxia protagonist. I've not read since chapter 300 or so though, so maybe that's changed.

If anything he's even better since he's about the first to realize that not being a huge rear end in a top hat is actually an advantage and it's neat to compare Renegade Immortal, ISSTH, and AWE. Gradually Er Gen makes each protagonist less of a murder hobo in favor of a more of a fun Kung Fu Hustle style character and it's nice to finally have characters being supportive and understanding because the entire genre otherwise completely lacks empathy. My Disciple Died Yet Again is similar but I keep getting bored with it partially because the protagonist while good and likable is pretty boring and sort of along for the ride.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in reverend insanity the protagonist is a sociopath who understands how society works and is willing to participate when he can get something out of it. however, unlike other amoral wuxia mc's everyone loving hates him for this and it is clear that being a murder hobo is not considered acceptable. it's edgy teenage philosophy: the webnovel.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They just announced a release date for volume 11 of Log Horizon (March 20th).
While the author continued writing the web novel (which is up to volume 14 now), this will be the first book release since the tax evasion stuff a few years ago.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's sad that Su Ling is going to inevitably be pushed out of the plot, since there's no way she ends up an Inner Desciple. Ling Qi even realizes this and is trying to get her some other friends. Su Ling is the only truly decent character in this story aside from maybe Gan Guangli or Han Jian.

Regarding "power levels," it's nice that the stronger characters also keep training and Ling Qi still shows no sign of catching up with folks like Meizhen or Sun Liling (and the other high talent person, prisoner guy, is probably keeping up with her). I am curious how he'll manage to keep conflict going after Ling Qi becomes an Inner Desciple. I guess if conflict is allowed between lower and upper-classmen it could work.

I'm pretty sure Su Ling is a production student and those use different criteria to advance to the inner sect. At the moment, Ling Qi seems totally unaware of what these are and the chances Su Ling has.

On "power level" talk, I'd fundamentally disagree with what you're saying here. We see the story from Ling Qi's perspective, but from an outside perspective what we are seeing is a complete novice cultivator preparing to outright surpass people that have good talent and have had immense resources and opportunity, who came to the sect already in Yellow. Also, this novice cultivator could have actually broken through to Green and Bronze a few weeks ago but chose not to... because her high Talent meant she had more Arts than most anyone else, and she wanted to master those first to make her breakthrough even stronger. Ling Qi has been peak Yellow/Silver for a few weeks at this point, it's good to keep in mind.

Basically, in a couple of years, Ling Qi will probably be stronger than any of her friends or enemies (that she has right now). She won't equal the strongest by the tournament though, because they hold such a resource and time spent cultivating advantage.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Something that probably helps Forge of Destiny is that we aren't just mainlining through all the early training and stuff to get to the bit where you casually explode people the way a lot of xianxia seems to. And that the characters aren't one-dimensional assholes.

Except maybe Yan Renshu, but gently caress that guy. The playerbase is 110% done with his poo poo.

Yan Renshu has done the one thing no one in the thread would ever forget.

Ytlaya posted:

I'd disagree on Su Ling being the only decent one beside maybe Han Jian. Li Suyin and arguably CRX are both decent people, they are just much more ambitious than Su Ling... but Su Ling's goal in life is also to kill her mom, so....

Also, Xuan Shi is shill.

Anyway, I'd say Su Ling has good chance to stay relevant if we go sect route, as we likely will end up her captain during the army. One of the part of CRX route than annoys me is, indeed, not being able to do that.

SerSpook posted:

I'm pretty sure Su Ling is a production student and those use different criteria to advance to the inner sect. At the moment, Ling Qi seems totally unaware of what these are and the chances Su Ling has.

On "power level" talk, I'd fundamentally disagree with what you're saying here. We see the story from Ling Qi's perspective, but from an outside perspective what we are seeing is a complete novice cultivator preparing to outright surpass people that have good talent and have had immense resources and opportunity, who came to the sect already in Yellow. Also, this novice cultivator could have actually broken through to Green and Bronze a few weeks ago but chose not to... because her high Talent meant she had more Arts than most anyone else, and she wanted to master those first to make her breakthrough even stronger. Ling Qi has been peak Yellow/Silver for a few weeks at this point, it's good to keep in mind.

Basically, in a couple of years, Ling Qi will probably be stronger than any of her friends or enemies (that she has right now). She won't equal the strongest by the tournament though, because they hold such a resource and time spent cultivating advantage.

I'll agree that it's hard to grasp how utterly bulshit Ling Qi's advancement has been... but we shouldn't under-estimate the resource advantages of the monsters. They have kept pace with us, week wise in pure cultivation (Meizhen got to late yellow week 5 and us week 24, she got to early green week 19 and us week 37) though we have managed to catch up art wise and skill wise (I expect them to have much higher than we were at similar levels).

The big thing, though, is that the higher you are the rarer resources you need, and we just won't quality easily for such resources, while they will. So, I'd say while we could arguably catch up by the tournament simply because each step takes longer and longer, that doesn't mean they won't distance us again by next year.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arkeus posted:

I'll agree that it's hard to grasp how utterly bulshit Ling Qi's advancement has been... but we shouldn't under-estimate the resource advantages of the monsters. They have kept pace with us, week wise in pure cultivation (Meizhen got to late yellow week 5 and us week 24, she got to early green week 19 and us week 37) though we have managed to catch up art wise and skill wise (I expect them to have much higher than we were at similar levels).

The big thing, though, is that the higher you are the rarer resources you need, and we just won't quality easily for such resources, while they will. So, I'd say while we could arguably catch up by the tournament simply because each step takes longer and longer, that doesn't mean they won't distance us again by next year.

Not to get into too much detail about it, but Ling Qi's status is going to pretty significantly change after the tournament I think it's fair to say. It's hard to gauge just what kind of resources will be available, and it depends pretty heavily on choices the players make.

I'd tend to suggest that accepting Elder Jiao's offer would be a more conservative thing. It would give Ling Qi better arts, and more arts oriented around the Moon, Darkness, and probably Music. Much more cohesion in her build. Fewer raw resources, but plenty of opportunities to acquire them as well as much rarer things through tests and missions. Proving herself in competitions, etc. At the same time, it also probably has the most consistency and ease to plan around?

Whereas Cai Renxiang's own offer seems to have a pretty high ceiling for what Ling Qi can get but likely requires significantly more effort put into actually earning that.

There is always stealing everything that is not nailed down--then everything that is--from the Yan Renshu's of the world as well.

Ultimately I think it's fair to state that Ling Qi will never have high noble family resources, but I think she'll have plenty going forward and maybe even make up the gap some.

e: will agree that a couple of years is probably an overestimation, but long term i think Ling Qi will surpass everyone not named Ji Rong in this year's Outer Sect, and Ji Rong seems just as likely to get himself killed as actually live up to his even more absurd Talent

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 25, 2018

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a way to read through Forge of Destiny without having to scroll through tons of forum posts and discussion between chapters?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

blastron posted:

Is there a way to read through Forge of Destiny without having to scroll through tons of forum posts and discussion between chapters?

Hit Reader Mode or click the arrows around "Index" to advance to the next or previous post. Should be in the rightmost corner of the post. Reader mode in the right corner of the page, just above the first post on the page.

e: here you go for just a link to the reader mode

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2018

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SerSpook posted:

Not to get into too much detail about it, but Ling Qi's status is going to pretty significantly change after the tournament I think it's fair to say. It's hard to gauge just what kind of resources will be available, and it depends pretty heavily on choices the players make.

I'd tend to suggest that accepting Elder Jiao's offer would be a more conservative thing. It would give Ling Qi better arts, and more arts oriented around the Moon, Darkness, and probably Music. Much more cohesion in her build. Fewer raw resources, but plenty of opportunities to acquire them as well as much rarer things through tests and missions. Proving herself in competitions, etc. At the same time, it also probably has the most consistency and ease to plan around?

Whereas Cai Renxiang's own offer seems to have a pretty high ceiling for what Ling Qi can get but likely requires significantly more effort put into actually earning that.

There is always stealing everything that is not nailed down--then everything that is--from the Yan Renshu's of the world as well.

Ultimately I think it's fair to state that Ling Qi will never have high noble family resources, but I think she'll have plenty going forward and maybe even make up the gap some.

e: will agree that a couple of years is probably an overestimation, but long term i think Ling Qi will surpass everyone not named Ji Rong in this year's Outer Sect, and Ji Rong seems just as likely to get himself killed as actually live up to his even more absurd Talent

Well, a few things:

Most of the more potent houses have ways to increase Talent. It's been hinted that the sect also does. High end characters (Prisms, White) likely have had 3/4 talent increase unless they are Shenhua. Our talent, once the monsters get the full resources of their house, will become only less and less useful (especially as it's not that high).

Elder Jiao is at the absolute top of what you usually expect non-hermit cultivators to be. Whites are basically 'constant closed door' except for Shenhua/Shao, and while going the CRX route means being a Cai vassal, it does not mean being directly under Shenhua unless we do something really insane (like be violet when CRX is Cyan). While Shenhua certainly has higher resources than Jiao, Jiao also certainly have much more higher resources than CRX, and is more capable to give them to his single apprentice. Beside that, there are arguments for Shenhua actually being worse for arts/etc than a great sect.

What CRX route gives is political influence and a direct way to influence the incoming poo poo storm (E.G, being much higher up in the chain of decisions).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Well, a few things:

Most of the more potent houses have ways to increase Talent. It's been hinted that the sect also does. High end characters (Prisms, White) likely have had 3/4 talent increase unless they are Shenhua. Our talent, once the monsters get the full resources of their house, will become only less and less useful (especially as it's not that high).

Elder Jiao is at the absolute top of what you usually expect non-hermit cultivators to be. Whites are basically 'constant closed door' except for Shenhua/Shao, and while going the CRX route means being a Cai vassal, it does not mean being directly under Shenhua unless we do something really insane (like be violet when CRX is Cyan). While Shenhua certainly has higher resources than Jiao, Jiao also certainly have much more higher resources than CRX, and is more capable to give them to his single apprentice. Beside that, there are arguments for Shenhua actually being worse for arts/etc than a great sect.

What CRX route gives is political influence and a direct way to influence the incoming poo poo storm (E.G, being much higher up in the chain of decisions).

Yeah I know that talent can be increased, but at this point it's pretty defeatist to just assume that Ling Qi will not have such opportunities in the future through other means. Even if it is rare, it'd make for a pretty poor story and game ultimately if Ling Qi were not to have means to generally keep up.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is on the Cai stuff though. It is basically what I said. Jiao and the Sect offer pretty accessible resources and a much better possibility for Arts (specifically what Ling Qi uses). Cai is a gamble on the resource front, but with enough luck, might yield more. But likely won't ever in terms of arts. The potential for more resources largely depends on the manner in which Ling Qi is used, and what comes of that. It's by far the less appealing route to me personally though, so I'd not thought of it much.

And I never said anything about being underneath Shenhua?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

blastron posted:

http://www.omnibuser.com/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

Oh, she's absolutely absurdly talented, but even her talent isn't really enough to allow her to catch up to the handful of people benefiting from both talent and lineage any time soon (and there's the super-important resources thing another poster mentioned, which will more strongly advantage the people from noble families the higher up you go). There's also Ji Rong who by all accounts has at least the same level of talent as Ling Qi (I think he would probably beat her in a straight-up 1v1 fight, even though Ling Qi is more versatile).

I think the story does a good job of giving us a protagonist who is strong enough to be highly engaged and relevant in the plot, but not so strong that it feels completely unfair and ridiculous. I get the impression that, while rare, there are other people in this setting who have progressed similarly to Ling Qi. It's also worth noting that Ling Qi doesn't really have any completely unheard of talents/advantages. Like, she doesn't have access to some one of a kind legendary uber-item (I mean, Zhengui is really rare/good, but not "the legendary strongest dragon ever" or whatever) or some super ability no one else has. If anything, stuff like her connection with the moon goddess just allows her to keep up with the nobles and their resources.

Honestly, I wish that players had gone the route of associating with Sun Liling and Ji Rong, since those characters seem more interesting than someone like Cai Renxiang. I also kinda feel like Gu Xiulan would fit in better with that group.

edit: By the way, have the dice rolls when trying to break-through been abnormally good for us? I've been wondering if our first time Yellow break-through and second time Green break-through are due mostly to high talent, or if they're because we just got really lucky with rolls.

blastron posted:

The forum has a "reader mode" option (in one of the drop-down things) that only shows story posts and ignores all the discussions posts from other users.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 25, 2018

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, she's absolutely absurdly talented, but even her talent isn't really enough to allow her to catch up to the handful of people benefiting from both talent and lineage any time soon (and there's the super-important resources thing another poster mentioned, which will more strongly advantage the people from noble families the higher up you go). There's also Ji Rong who by all accounts has at least the same level of talent as Ling Qi (I think he would probably beat her in a straight-up 1v1 fight, even though Ling Qi is more versatile).

I think the story does a good job of giving us a protagonist who is strong enough to be highly engaged and relevant in the plot, but not so strong that it feels completely unfair and ridiculous. I get the impression that, while rare, there are other people in this setting who have progressed similarly to Ling Qi. It's also worth noting that Ling Qi doesn't really have any completely unheard of talents/advantages. Like, she doesn't have access to some one of a kind legendary uber-item (I mean, Zhengui is really rare/good, but not "the legendary strongest dragon ever" or whatever) or some super ability no one else has. If anything, stuff like her connection with the moon goddess just allows her to keep up with the nobles and their resources.

Honestly, I wish that players had gone the route of associating with Sun Liling and Ji Rong, since those characters seem more interesting than someone like Cai Renxiang. I also kinda feel like Gu Xiulan would fit in better with that group.

The forum has a "reader mode" option (in one of the drop-down things) that only shows story posts and ignores all the discussions posts from other users.

Ji Rong is actually more talented. He is actually a bit behind in his cultivation though due to being kept prisoner. I'm pretty sure he would actually lose a straight fight at the moment, unless he has broken into green or bronze. Which, to be fair, was his plan right after being freed.

I don't believe Cai Renxiang, Bai Meizhen, or Sun Liling are actually more talented or they would actually be even further ahead than they are now, unless the resource advantage hasn't really helped that much. At the very least, they haven't actually widened the gap at all, despite their variety of advantages.

I'm not saying that Ling Qi is some uber talent or should be crushing everyone, or even that she will be.

Probably the best way to sum up my entire belief regarding this is that opportunities will come up in the narrative that will allow her to, at the very least, be on par with the strongest in the year. Not this year, but in the coming years, yeah. They won't be without risk. I'm speaking from the perspective of faith in the writer I suppose, that these opportunities will come up, because I have no real interest in reading the story of "very talented and dedicated cultivator that ultimately didn't have the resources to achieve full potential" because that's ultimately frustrating. The story of "very talented and dedicated cultivator takes smart risks and takes advantage when they can, ultimately achieving their full potential" is much more engaging.

Of course, due to it being a game, voters may choose to avoid such things. I mean, when you're on a mission for Cai Renxiang (as an example) and the choice is leaving scot-free with the mission complete or robbing a cache of rare medicines and risk being caught, people may just choose not to take the risk.

e: best way of putting it, the peer character is Ji Rong, Bai & Co are the measuring stick, and I believe the narrative will ultimately present the opportunities to equal or surpass that even if it is mechanically (and even in world) unlikely. and she also has an unknown father, a possible hidden ability, and apparently her background is "somewhat cliche" from way back in character creation, so who knows what any of that will ultimately mean, though i think the hidden ability in part has to do with the wind affinity she has, as well as talking with wind spirits when she was younger.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 25, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

Ji Rong is actually more talented. He is actually a bit behind in his cultivation though due to being kept prisoner. I'm pretty sure he would actually lose a straight fight at the moment, unless he has broken into green or bronze. Which, to be fair, was his plan right after being freed.

I don't believe Cai Renxiang, Bai Meizhen, or Sun Liling are actually more talented or they would actually be even further ahead than they are now, unless the resource advantage hasn't really helped that much. At the very least, they haven't actually widened the gap at all, despite their variety of advantages.

Keep in mind that it takes exponentially longer to break-through to progressive levels, so it isn't necessarily a sign that they're cultivating slower that Meizhen/Liling haven't broken through to the next stage. That being said, I do imagine that Li Qing's raw talent is higher than theirs (simply because they had training before entering the sect and weren't already Green/Bronze when they entered). I also get the impression that Cai Renxiang isn't really on the same level as Meizhen/Liling.

The dramatic increase in time between each break-through also means that there'll be a bigger group of characters who are more or less in the ball-park of Ling Qi's cultivation level. Like, while Ling Qi is working her way through Green/Bronze (which will take longer than working her way through Yellow/Silver), other characters will also reach that level of cultivation and become at least a non-negligible threat in a fight (the dice thing is pretty neat in this regard, since it gives weaker characters a non-zero chance of winning a fight or doing relevant damage).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Keep in mind that it takes exponentially longer to break-through to progressive levels, so it isn't necessarily a sign that they're cultivating slower that Meizhen/Liling haven't broken through to the next stage. That being said, I do imagine that Li Qing's raw talent is higher than theirs (simply because they had training before entering the sect and weren't already Green/Bronze when they entered). I also get the impression that Cai Renxiang isn't really on the same level as Meizhen/Liling.

The dramatic increase in time between each break-through also means that there'll be a bigger group of characters who are more or less in the ball-park of Ling Qi's cultivation level. Like, while Ling Qi is working her way through Green/Bronze (which will take longer than working her way through Yellow/Silver), other characters will also reach that level of cultivation and become at least a non-negligible threat in a fight (the dice thing is pretty neat in this regard, since it gives weaker characters a non-zero chance of winning a fight or doing relevant damage).

I'm not really sure I disagree with pretty much any of that, except I guess about how long it's taking them to work through the levels. We can reasonably extrapolate based on how long it took Meizhen to go from yellow to green, and compare that to Ling Qi's, to get an idea of any sort of widening gap for those ranks, and we can do that again for Green to Green Appraisal. It'll be a bit of a delay, but we will be able to tell if the gap is widening or narrowing based on resources or not once we reach Appraisal. Though the Perfect Breakthrough bonus does confuse things a bit.

The dice thing is pretty good for that because it let Ling Qi run the gently caress away from Sun Liling due to bullshit luck.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Webnovel.com is finally putting into action the use for the stones to try and get people to buy them by having premium chapters unlock with stones instead of a silly video.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait until they go all the way and paywall everything so I can be freed from my addiction.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Fallorn posted:

Webnovel.com is finally putting into action the use for the stones to try and get people to buy them by having premium chapters unlock with stones instead of a silly video.
Premium currency? What's next, a gatcha system? "You got a 0* Shun chapter from I'm a Spider, So What! Better luck next time!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like both the Shun chapters and the post-dungeon chapters a lot more than the "Kumoko leveling up" chapters.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Fallorn posted:

I kinda like the system, you get the stones for free by a check in once per day, and get enough to skip ads on two chapters per day. Recently i have re-read ELCL using the app on my android phone, and i banked up 500+ stones, since only the latest chapters require them to skip ads.

Anyway, still loving ELCL, it's my favorite webnovel after kumoko. Theres some great humour in that series.

I also read My MCV and Doomsday. The concept sounded intriguing, as instead of leveling up himself he levels up his minibus, but it turned to poo poo. He's leveling up himself now anyway and becoming a murderhobo that murders everyone that looks at him funny.

And recently i started Cultivation Chat Group which is indeed pretty interesting. I'm not all that far into it yet though. It's also my first story about cultivators so that helps i guess?

Anyway i guess webnovel.com 's approach is working because they got me in their claws and now if i want to read something new ill check their site since i got the big cache of stones there anyway.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain_duck posted:

I kinda like the system, you get the stones for free by a check in once per day, and get enough to skip ads on two chapters per day. Recently i have re-read ELCL using the app on my android phone, and i banked up 500+ stones, since only the latest chapters require them to skip ads.

Anyway, still loving ELCL, it's my favorite webnovel after kumoko. Theres some great humour in that series.

I also read My MCV and Doomsday. The concept sounded intriguing, as instead of leveling up himself he levels up his minibus, but it turned to poo poo. He's leveling up himself now anyway and becoming a murderhobo that murders everyone that looks at him funny.

And recently i started Cultivation Chat Group which is indeed pretty interesting. I'm not all that far into it yet though. It's also my first story about cultivators so that helps i guess?

Anyway i guess webnovel.com 's approach is working because they got me in their claws and now if i want to read something new ill check their site since i got the big cache of stones there anyway.

RTW is, unfortunately, twice the stones daily as they give out, so I'll run out of my stash in a month or so. Suppose I might have to just take a break and read something else, eventually.

The stone prices aren't too bad, I suppose. 500 stones for ten bucks, so if you round RTW's eight stones per chapter to ten, that's fifty chapters. If you say a chapter's about 2k words on average (I checked) it's ten bucks for 100k words, which is a standard length for a short-ish novel. But, of course, you'll also have read hundreds of chapters for free before that. And they're giving a 1000 bonus stones if you buy 500 right now. TBH if they weren't using Paypal I'd probably buy some, just to give Er Mu some money.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really mind. i'll just wait an extra week or two for chapters to go free. it's not like there aren't other terrible wn's i could read in the interim, so getting the latest chapters now now now seems kind of pointless.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Ytlaya posted:

I like both the Shun chapters and the post-dungeon chapters a lot more than the "Kumoko leveling up" chapters.

I agree on the post dungeon part but the Shun chapters can eat a dick

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I liked it when I could sign in daily 2x because of tablet and pc both signing in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

arisu posted:

I agree on the post dungeon part but the Shun chapters can eat a dick

People always talk about the Shun chapters being like ones from a stereotypical isekai with an overpowered protagonist, but I never got this impression. By the time Shun actually does anything, it's already been clearly established that there are a number of actors dramatically stronger than he is. As a result, I found his chapters interesting just because they gave a look into the rest of the world/setting (and the near-ish future) and involved a character who wasn't as absurdly overpowered as Kumoko. Shun is also a good guy and I find Kumoko really obnoxious, though I realize some people apparently find her funny and/or endearing.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah I'm one of those that finds Kumoko endearing, so for me it wasn't that Shun chapters were isekai template junk, it was just boring filler keeping me away from my spider shenanigans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his life was way too easy until kumoko started destroying everything good in it. she helped him build character!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tamba posted:

They just announced a release date for volume 11 of Log Horizon (March 20th).
While the author continued writing the web novel (which is up to volume 14 now), this will be the first book release since the tax evasion stuff a few years ago.

From what I know about Log Horizon the tax evasion in your quote could either be the author getting in trouble or a plot point in the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the log horizon author got caught for tax evasion, then a year later got caught for tax evasion again in the exact same way.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Was the tax evasion on purpose or is the author just a dumbass?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lurksion posted:

Was the tax evasion on purpose or is the author just a dumbass?

the first time might have meant he was just a dumbass, but the second meant he was a different kind of dumbass

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As I understand it, he basically has royalty checks or something deposited into an account he never uses, so he didn't report them as income because he literally forgot the money was there. That was the first time.

The second time, he apparently didn't change anything about his set up and just kept not reporting it.

This is a man who writes about fantasy economic systems.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

arisu posted:

Yeah I'm one of those that finds Kumoko endearing, so for me it wasn't that Shun chapters were isekai template junk, it was just boring filler keeping me away from my spider shenanigans.

See, I completely disagree with this, because Shun lacks a couple of the biggest things that identify typical isekai protagonists. Shun sorta resembles what a person who is only vaguely familiar with the concept of isekai protagonists but doesn't actually read isekai WNs might think of as one, but he really isn't.

The biggest thing that separates him from a typical isekai protagonist is that the most prominent negative defining aspect of them tends to be how powerful they are in the context of their setting and the characters they interact with. Shun doesn't really fit this. He's strong in the context of the setting as a whole, but not the narrative. By the time Shun actually does anything, Kumoko, the main protagonist, is vastly stronger (and so are the other relevant figures). Shun never really gets a chance to fulfill a power fantasy in the context of the plot, which is arguably the number one thing that characterizes isekai protagonists (at least in a negative way).

Shun's personality also does not resemble that of most isekai protagonists. Most isekai protagonists are either antisocial misanthropic types, or a nerdy sort of person who is nice in a way directly linked to their power or resulting from acts of bravery conveniently enabled by the plot (i.e. they might use their power to save/help other characters). Shun is generally a genuinely decent guy, which actually isn't very common at all for isekai MCs. His personality might match that of a shounen protagonist, but not an isekai one.

I'm also not really sure I fully agree with the "Kumoko has it so much harder" thing. It's true she had it much harder for a brief period at the very beginning of the story, but she quickly becomes absurdly powerful (and the reasons she becomes so powerful are generally just as much lucky cheats as anything Shun or others have access to; she relies on ingenuity briefly at the beginning, but pretty soon she starts reaping the benefits of her bizarre ability to leverage that one ability I forget the name of without suffering from its negative aspects).

Also I liked the whole "Shun's buddy reincarnated as a girl and is falling in love with him" subplot, lol.

(I don't actually care about this as much as the length of this post might seem to imply, but for whatever reason I find identifying the key characteristics of WNs to be pretty interesting.)

edit: Kumoko actually fits the mold of isekai protagonist much better than Shun. She undergoes a brief period of being considered weak at the beginning before becoming absurdly powerful and trivializing most encounters. This is actually a pretty common path for these stories to follow. The main atypical aspects are related to the protagonist being female and not having a harem, but she fits all the power fantasy stuff to a T.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 3, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hm! Are there any other fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't a. overpowered and b. a piece of poo poo?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Hm! Are there any other fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't a. overpowered and b. a piece of poo poo?

I think this has been asked enough now that the thread title could be Web Novel megathread: are there stories where the protagonist isn’t an overpowered piece of poo poo?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Jackard posted:

I believe the term you're looking for is 'misery porn'. Either that or maybe something more focused on romance, which is misery porn in its own way I guess.

That being said, maybe Possessing Nothing? I only read a bit of it before letting some chapters pile up but the defining feature of that was that he was an average joe who did the whole travel back thing and all he really has is persistence?

Also Cultivation Chat Group - he's not overpowered, it's all the rest of the people he associates with who are.

Or Ze Tian Ji?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Jackard posted:

Nighthunter is actually not awful about this, as is Doomsday wonderland. "There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns (Dungeon)" is also decent.
https://royalroadl.com/fiction/14850/nighthunter
https://www.webnovel.com/book/7141995206000505/Doomsday-Wonderland
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/there-is-no-epic-loot-here-only-puns-dungeon.590739/