Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Xander posted an imgur album of vintage propaganda cartoons about the Opium Wars and the Russo-Japanese War. When I saw this one, I knew it was for the map thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What the christ is that.

I'm... not any of that insanity.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Cat Mattress posted:

Xander posted an imgur album of vintage propaganda cartoons about the Opium Wars and the Russo-Japanese War. When I saw this one, I knew it was for the map thread:

dunno what i like better, cuba being larger than china or canada and india sharing a land border

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bagual posted:

dunno what i like better, cuba being larger than china or canada and india sharing a land border

I'm particular to China forming one of the pillars of hercules, myself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the Philippines

That or the ongoing 16-year hellwar the US has, much to my surprise, been fighting in the mountains of tribal Canada

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm Egypt just south of China in Morocco, which is also taking up what should be Spain

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
China fled to Portugal to escape the Canadian invasion. Little do they know that Australia is sailing into the Atlantic to cut them off.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Cat Mattress posted:

teacher told me I was crazy when I pointed out that Australia and Egypt fit almost perfectly together

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Looks like a perfectly normal Civilization game to me

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

System Metternich posted:

Well, not everything

Cornwall was actually correct on this one, leaving the EU will allow Cornwall to revitalize its most profitable industry: piracy.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Wait, how is the Lancashire accent a "potential imminent violence" accent?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Cornwall was actually correct on this one, leaving the EU will allow Cornwall to revitalize its most profitable industry: piracy.

Actually, without the EU to protect them, they'll be easy pickings for Barbary pirates.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paul.Power posted:

Wait, how is the Lancashire accent a "potential imminent violence" accent?
Proper nice chimney there, be a shame if owt happened wi' it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Actually, Canada contains three-fifths of the world’s lakes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Map showing how the game "rock-paper-scissors" is called among Flemish speakers. In brown it's "scissors-stone-paper" and in green it's "leaf-stone-scissors".

Incidentally you can see that brown follows the most important economic axis of Flanders (Flemish Brabant and Antwerp) which incidentally also corresponds to the medieval Duchy of Brabant (with some cities lost to the Dutch in what they call "Northern Brabant" and which has no border with contemporary Brabant as part of the old Brabant got renamed Antwerp instead)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's one that's definitely politically loaded:

For context: this map is from the United Arab Emirates.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Deltasquid posted:

Map showing how the game "rock-paper-scissors" is called among Flemish speakers. In brown it's "scissors-stone-paper" and in green it's "leaf-stone-scissors".

Incidentally you can see that brown follows the most important economic axis of Flanders (Flemish Brabant and Antwerp) which incidentally also corresponds to the medieval Duchy of Brabant (with some cities lost to the Dutch in what they call "Northern Brabant" and which has no border with contemporary Brabant as part of the old Brabant got renamed Antwerp instead)

That's interesting, in Germany (or at least the part of Bavaria where I grew up, dunno if there's any significant regional variation) it's "scissors-stone-paper" like in old Brabant.

In map news, German weekly Zeit Online has built a database with all streetnames in Germany, with some interesting results:

Streets named after regions/peoples in Eastern Europe that were formerly part of Germany/settled by German speakers, e.g. Eastern Prussia or the Sudeten Germans. As you can see, there are hardly none of them in those areas that used to be part of the GDR, because over there the people expulsed from those areas weren't officially seen as "refugees", but instead as people "liberated" by the Red Army

A similar divide becomes visible in those streets named after Karl Marx; with only a few exceptions in the west (like the areas Marx used to live in before he emigrated to England) most of them are to be found in the east.

Streets named after Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of West Germany. Hardly any in the east (unsurprisingly), but there are also markedly fewer Adenauer streets in the Protestant areas of West Germany (Adenauer was a staunch Catholic, and the religious divide still ran deep in Germany until the 60s) and in Bavaria, which was/is mostly Catholic, but also fiercely federalist/separatist, especially in the years immediately after the war.

Streets named by the Nazis after Erwin Rommel, famed general. What the gently caress? :stare: Most of them are in Württemberg, where he grew up.

Streets named after the Limes. I wonder where that is coming from? :v:

It's a pretty cool feature, you can search for yourself here (only in German, though).

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's one that's definitely politically loaded:

For context: this map is from the United Arab Emirates.

Reminds me of this (since fixed) map from the Pyeongchang Olympics website:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Whiz Palace posted:

Reminds me of this (since fixed) map from the Pyeongchang Olympics website:

Starts off strong with the absent Japan, but it's the absent New Zealand that finishes it.

EDIt: I guess it actually just falls off the map, you can see a tiny bit peeking next to the Ozzies. Still!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

System Metternich posted:

Streets named by the Nazis after Erwin Rommel, famed general. What the gently caress? :stare: Most of them are in Wrttemberg, where he grew up.

Rommel is popularly considered the "good Nazi" or simply not a Nazi at all, although he was Hitler's personal friend.

Hell, the current German Army still pays homage to him to this day.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Bundeswehr honours every Nazi unless explicitly ordered to not honour that specific person.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I once heard that Windhoek, the capital of Namibia, has a major street named Göring, but it was okay, it wasn't named after THAT Göring, but rather his father, who had history in German South West Africa.

I can't find it on a map, so I think they may have caved to pressure and changed it. But I did find a couple of other politically loaded street names:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah a lot of street names changed after 1990 when governance of Namibia changed from Pretoria to SWAPO.

Fidel Castro Street is almost certainly a Border War reference, MiGs in Angola and all that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

What's up with that stuff written on the top right and is it used anywhere?

Also, as far as I know, in the Netherlands we always call the game 'steen papier schaar'. Stone, paper, scissors, so like in English. And we call the province of 'Noord-Brabant' just Brabant except in official documents or when we're reminded that there's also some part of Belgium that's called Brabant - which I actually think lots of Dutch people aren't aware of. I always get the feeling lots of Dutch people have no clue what the provinces of Belgium are. Then again, certain hollanders can't even tell the difference between a Noord-Brabant accent and a Netherlands' Limburg accent, even though those are worlds apart and Brabant people will fight you to death if you dare call them Limburgers.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, as far as I know, in the Netherlands we always call the game 'steen papier schaar'. Stone, paper, scissors, so like in English. And we call the province of 'Noord-Brabant' just Brabant except in official documents or when we're reminded that there's also some part of Belgium that's called Brabant - which I actually think lots of Dutch people aren't aware of. I always get the feeling lots of Dutch people have no clue what the provinces of Belgium are. Then again, certain hollanders can't even tell the difference between a Noord-Brabant accent and a Netherlands' Limburg accent, even though those are worlds apart and Brabant people will fight you to death if you dare call them Limburgers.

No idea what's up with the top ones, I have never heard of them before and I have friends from every province at my university so it's not standard at all. Probably some sort of dialect they discovered in one or two towns? But they should have marked those with dots on the map if that's the case.

I don't know how many Flemish people could name provinces in the Netherlands. We are generally aware that "Holland" is just the province in the Netherlands that everyone knows, but call Dutchmen "Hollanders" mostly to troll them if they're not from Amsterdam. Otherwise I know Zeeland, Noord-Brabant, Limburg and Friesland off the top of my head.

fake edit: looking them up, I just learned there's a North and South Holland lol

Actual Edit: I looked up the source of the map and it turns out it's from scouts Vlaanderen, who had a poll for their members about how they call the game. I assume the three top ones, especially vis-vis-vis, were teenagers being teenagers and picking the troll option

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"Which country would you like to live in?"

E: Seems to be patched together from different surveys circa 2013.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 26, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jehde posted:

I'm shocked Canada wants to move to Australia so much

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

I think it's basically the same reasons that made Spain top out for the aussies. ("Well if I had to move somewhere... _____ sounds nice enough I guess...")

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jehde posted:

There are some curious countries with no data on this map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm from Leuven and I've never heard anyone call it anything other than 'blad steen schaar'...which I guess is what the map says.

What's interesting to me is that once again it shows the Aalst area as having a lot of Brabantian influence.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Don't worry, lots of people in Flanders apparently are unaware that Noord-Brabant exists, as evidenced by the embarrassing recent discussion about potentially renaming the province of Antwerp. To the man in the street, all Dutch people are 'ollanders.
I actually know all of the Dutch provinces, but that's because I'm a nerd, and even then I sometimes get the German-y eastern ones confused, like Drenthe.

What you say about the accent is interesting, I was in Breda recently and did not detect anything particularly Brabantian about it at all. I actually thought even random people spoke a nice Standard Dutch, better than actual Hollanders and certainly better than, say, someone from Antwerp right across the border. I was jealous.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah a lot of street names changed after 1990 when governance of Namibia changed from Pretoria to SWAPO.

Fidel Castro Street is almost certainly a Border War reference, MiGs in Angola and all that.

The Independence Museum in Windhoek had a big section devoted to Cuba's role in the fight against apartheid and Namibia's eventual independence. Cuba and Namibia have very warm relations as a result of that history.

The Independence Museum, btw, is on the former site of the big German memorial that honored the soldiers killed in the 'Hottentot Uprisings' - i.e. the Herero genocide. The memorial was the site of numerous protests against South African rule, and removing it after independence was a source of major controversy by the white minority. When I was there, I found the statue 'in storage', propped up against the wall of an old German fort - the government still hasn't worked out what to do with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Up against a wall in a fort sounds like a fine place for it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seriously, Argentina?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

fishmech posted:

When you live in a frozen tundra you probably just say the hottest country you can think of

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cebrail posted:

When you live in a frozen tundra you probably just say the hottest country you can think of
I kinda imagine the answer you're going to get is going to change depending on the season, for anyone who lives anywhere where seasons matter. Any place hot starts looking nice when you're freezing your rear end off in the cold - but maybe not in the sweltering heat of summer.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Powered Descent posted:

I once heard that Windhoek, the capital of Namibia, has a major street named Göring, but it was okay, it wasn't named after THAT Göring, but rather his father, who had history in German South West Africa.

I can't find it on a map, so I think they may have caved to pressure and changed it. But I did find a couple of other politically loaded street names:

Not the same ballpark

I found myself on a "rue des déportés" once in Grenoble, which is a pretty depressing street name

"where do you live?

"oh you know, Victims of the Holocaust Street"

not that it's wrong to pay hommage to people who lost their lives this way, it's just so blunt. Apparently there are many such streets named this way, and also some rue des victimes du nazisme (which is a mouthful).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 26, 2018

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in my hometown, middle schools are named on the theme of the westward trails that are pretty much the whole reason that town exists

they had two back in the 60s: Santa Fe Trail JHS and Oregon Trail JHS

then they built three more through the 70s/80s, and uncreatively called them Pioneer Trail, Indian Trail, and Frontier Trail

More got built while I was in junior high, so they did a naming contest where we'd vote on the best names- my friend submitted Trail of Tears Junior High but that got passed over for Chisholm Trail, a fine choice and a feather in the cap of whatever kid tricked the city into naming a school after jism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kurtofan posted:

Not the same ballpark

I found myself on a "rue des déportés" once in Grenoble, which is a pretty depressing street name

"where do you live?

"oh you know, Victims of the Holocaust Street"

not that it's wrong to pay hommage to people who lost their lives this way, it's just so blunt. Apparently there are many such streets named this way, and also some rue des victimes du nazisme (which is a mouthful).

The street in the town my family comes from in Poland has "Ulica Żydowska", or "Jewish Street". I'm also pretty sure I saw that same name in other cities and towns there, but I can't remember.