Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the story ever try to explain the time gap between the end of the main game and the start of the 1st DLC? Was William on that boat for 10 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RatHat posted:

Does the story ever try to explain the time gap between the end of the main game and the start of the 1st DLC? Was William on that boat for 10 years?

I thought he was in England?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It took a while to travel to England, then he stayed there a while, then it took a while to travel back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I think the intro said two years for a one-way trip.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
He took a sabbatical...for NIOH 2: THE SPAINENING

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I do wonder what a possible Nioh 2 would be like. A prequel about Yasuke or a distant sequel about the fall of the samurai ending at Shiroyama would be pretty cool.

Side note, I've started rereading Shogun and it's weird how much easier it is to follow now after having played this game, even though Clavell changed the historical names for no good reason.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sukunahikona's Grace increases stone damage by 5000%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDy8KuByBfs

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SkeletonHero posted:

I do wonder what a possible Nioh 2 would be like. A prequel about Yasuke or a distant sequel about the fall of the samurai ending at Shiroyama would be pretty cool.

Some Japanese dude goes to France, kills Demon Lord Louis the XVI.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SkeletonHero posted:

Side note, I've started rereading Shogun and it's weird how much easier it is to follow now after having played this game, even though Clavell changed the historical names for no good reason.

I read through Shogun in late 2016 (it was actually what led me to Nioh), and I believe they were changed because Shogun is largely a fictionalized take on the events.

For example, while Blackthorne and Mariko have a romance in the book, in real-life, I don't believe William Adams and Hosokawa Gracia knew each other.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ratoslov posted:

Some Japanese dude goes to France, kills Demon Lord Louis the XVI.

This game exists already it’s called Onimusha 3

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 24, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DatonKallandor posted:

It took a while to travel to England, then he stayed there a while, then it took a while to travel back.

My issue is how the cutscene is portrayed. So in England in 1603 William sees a vision of Hanzo in danger, then a transition to William on a boat heading there. Did William wait like 8 years during that transition? The weird thing is that unlike the other DLC DotN doesn’t seem to be based on any actual historical events so they could’ve made it whatever year they wanted.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is literally impossible to rush somewhere back then. It’s like a two week journey on horse between most major cities unless you are loving booking it and if you have to cross a body of water at all you might end up waiting at a port for weeks before someone is going where your going.

It’s likely he just had to wait until he had 2-3 years to spare so he could make the journey.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
They could always inverse the formula, have Nioh 2 be us playing Hasekura Tsunenaga on his adventures in Europe and Mexico. I'm pretty sure they even indirectly reference him since he's the guy Masamune sent out and I recall the cat saying something about them probably sending an envoy out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shima Honnou posted:

They could always inverse the formula, have Nioh 2 be us playing Hasekura Tsunenaga on his adventures in Europe and Mexico. I'm pretty sure they even indirectly reference him since he's the guy Masamune sent out and I recall the cat saying something about them probably sending an envoy out.

This would be cool. As I said above they could use similar mechanics to Nioh but set it in any pre modern historical period and have a similar game that has fun with history. William Marshall kicking Prince John's arse! Dienekes coming back as a revenant from Thermopylae to murder Pausanias! One of the sons of Bayezid I being the real thing that killed Tamerlane! (To make Tamerlane and his army demonic would require almost no creativity.)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Mothman on WotD is uh.....hard

any tips

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Neurosis posted:

sooo people use the room before the spirit stone huntress for trading items and maybe fast-leveling characters huh? because clearing the revenant markers gave me 85 million souls

What difficulty level?

RatHat posted:

Oh god I had forgotten about that loving credits song.

Also no divine Odachi or Tonfa from the last main story mission, what a ripoff.

I was also bummed out at the lack of Odachi, but it made it up for it on the next mission just by clearing revenants.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Neurosis posted:

This would be cool. As I said above they could use similar mechanics to Nioh but set it in any pre modern historical period and have a similar game that has fun with history. William Marshall kicking Prince John's arse! Dienekes coming back as a revenant from Thermopylae to murder Pausanias! One of the sons of Bayezid I being the real thing that killed Tamerlane! (To make Tamerlane and his army demonic would require almost no creativity.)

I guess worse-case scenario is if they set it in the Three Kingdoms era (which wouldn't be a bad thing, mind you, but Three Kingdoms era China and Sengoku Japan seem to be the main go-to time period for Koei-Tecmo). The 'Nioh' title also seems like it wouldn't really apply anymore if it was set outside of Japan.

Actually, that reminds me of something: I read that Nioh originally started out back in 2003 from an Kurosawa script called 'Oni.' Were there ever any details on it?

So long as I'm talking about films, are there any recommended samurai films that anyone recommends? I was looking through a list of samurai movies the other day, and the only one that stuck out to me was Kagemusha.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fargin Icehole posted:

What difficulty level?

way of the strong. i'm in wotd but haven't gotten access to that level yet to see if people are doing the same thing there

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Shima Honnou posted:

Ahmad ibn Fadlan as protagonist as he travels to the Vikings and helps them fight Norse amrita monsters.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

Ahmad ibn Fadlan as protagonist as he travels to the Vikings and helps them fight Norse amrita monsters.

yeessssss

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DatonKallandor posted:

I'd be very down for that.

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006
And the Manly Death of the viking leader you've been following and developing a meaningful relationship with after the final battle in the game will STILL make me get emotional and have to leave the room whilst clearing my throat and mumbling something about allergies.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Max Wilco posted:

So long as I'm talking about films, are there any recommended samurai films that anyone recommends? I was looking through a list of samurai movies the other day, and the only one that stuck out to me was Kagemusha.

The best: Yojimbo, and to a lesser extent, the sequel Sanjuro. Seven Samurai is aalso a classic, as is Ran (King Lear but in Japan). Hidden Fortress is pretty good too. Can't go wrong with Kurosawa, to be honest. Also, if you want to break out from Kurosawa, just look up the selections in the Criterion Collection. There are also a smattering of good modern samurai films, but they are more action focused than story focused.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yoji Yamada's trilogy (Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor) are good modern samurai movies that are more about looking at the late-stage shogunate world from the perspective of low-middle class samurai.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
takashi miikes 13 assassins is a pretty drat good modern samurai film as well.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

jeffLebowski posted:

takashi miikes 13 assassins is a pretty drat good modern samurai film as well.

Agreed.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I haven’t played Nioh since it’s original release but I played a lot of it then and had a huge amount of fun however I stopped and haven’t touched it since. I picked up the DLCs while they were on sale recently and I’m planning to play through them soon (as soon as I’m done with another game I’m playing).

I loaded the game up to have a quick look at things and was overwhelmed with the amount they have added so I have a couple of questions.

In games like this, despite the ease of respeccing my character, I always have separate characters/saves for ideas, I’m probably weird that way but it’s what I do. I have two main ones: a single katana weirding heavy armor William with some magic and other stuff to power through things. My other character is Light Armor mainly ninja skills with a kurisagama (I don’t think I ever got around to completely finishing way of the strong with either though).

I think I want to start up a new save to re-familiarise myself with the game and to get a feel for the new weapons they’ve added. Unless people advise I just pick up one of my existing saves to continue from?

I’m guessing having an Odachi for one weapon and a Tonfa for the other probably isn’t a good idea due to them using different stats/playstyles? If so which would people recommend I mostly use first while going through way of the samurai/strong?

Also are there any specific armor sets for the Odachi or Tonfa that was added? I imagine Odachi would be good with heavy or medium and tonfa best with light?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Thumbtacks posted:

Mothman on WotD is uh.....hard

any tips

not sure anyone knows what boss you mean by this, no offense. I can't think of any boss that's particularly moth-like

e: oh, do you mean Otani?

RoboJoe posted:

I think I want to start up a new save to re-familiarise myself with the game and to get a feel for the new weapons they’ve added. Unless people advise I just pick up one of my existing saves to continue from?

I’m guessing having an Odachi for one weapon and a Tonfa for the other probably isn’t a good idea due to them using different stats/playstyles? If so which would people recommend I mostly use first while going through way of the samurai/strong?

Also are there any specific armor sets for the Odachi or Tonfa that was added? I imagine Odachi would be good with heavy or medium and tonfa best with light?
I wouldn't bother starting fresh again if you already have a bunch of saves. You can always just spend a bit of time messing around in an early mission to get re-acquainted with the controls and stuff.

I didn't start a new save file until I was getting burned out by Way of the Nioh on my main save file, and mostly because I wanted to try the tonfa and spear movesets while unlocking new stuff for them gradually, instead of being overwhelmed by having all the skills at once. I went through the first two difficulties with kusarigama/katana/iga jounin set, but switched to odachi/dual swords/a mix of medium armor sets once I came back to the game after the last DLC came out. Which you try first is up to you, I'd say just pick one of each up and try their basic movesets to see which one clicks for you.

I think there's two sets each for Odachi and Tonfa. It's been awhile since I've played, but I think there's one heavy armor set for odachi, a medium armor one, and two light sets for tonfa.

Revins fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 26, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo Yukimura is ridiculous.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

not sure anyone knows what boss you mean by this, no offense. I can't think of any boss that's particularly moth-like

e: oh, do you mean Otani?

I wouldn't bother starting fresh again if you already have a bunch of saves. You can always just spend a bit of time messing around in an early mission to get re-acquainted with the controls and stuff.

I didn't start a new save file until I was getting burned out by Way of the Nioh on my main save file, and mostly because I wanted to try the tonfa and spear movesets while unlocking new stuff for them gradually, instead of being overwhelmed by having all the skills at once. I went through the first two difficulties with kusarigama/katana/iga jounin set, but switched to odachi/dual swords/a mix of medium armor sets once I came back to the game after the last DLC came out. Which you try first is up to you, I'd say just pick one of each up and try their basic movesets to see which one clicks for you.

I think there's two sets each for Odachi and Tonfa. It's been awhile since I've played, but I think there's one heavy armor set for odachi, a medium armor one, and two light sets for tonfa.

I didn't think you could make separate save files. I thought you could only do that by creating another profile on the PS4.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Just choose New instead of Continue.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
groan. think i just hit a bug. i hiromi branched out of a level (and i know i didn't accidentally use the one that loses you all your amrita because i accessed it via my item shortcuts which definitely does not have that) and lost two hours of amrita farming. casual couple of billion (yeah yeah i know later on that might not be anything much but right now that would've been a good 10 - 20 levels).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't understand why Onmoraki, a giant demon bird, makes elephant noises.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

drat, thar would be awesome. Even Antonio Banderas' film is great, that has enough potential por a good videogame. Mixing arabic elements with nord would be badass.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
thirteenth warrior is great. only thing that annoyed me was 'this is too heavy for me' or whatever he says when he gets given a viking sword. european swords (and pretty much all swords) were not heavy! except maybe the huge polearm-type greatswords, but even they're, you know, 7 odd pounds at most.

excuse my neckbearding out.

i've been playing around with sword of salvation the last hour. it doesn't really seem very noticeable. i've been trying to use it to farm marobashi since i rely mainly on parries for everyone there until the sword guy at the end, and don't think i'm hitting any more parries than i normally do.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The modern version of Zatoichi is good

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
way of the wise does not gently caress around. guess i'll be running isle of demons and death to bandits a dozen times to get levels and ethereals from revenants before being able to make much progress

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Unfinish3d posted:

Thanks for this advice, apologies for the delay in response though.

I ended up doing both things I mentioned: I started a new game to get a feel for the combat again and to try out the Odachi across first 5 or 6 main missions. After that I loaded up my heavy armor guy and respecced him to get the Odachi skills and tried the first mission in the first DLC which went surprisingly well (the boss took me a few attempts though), so I'll carry on with this save now I've got a feel for the game again even though I'm still pretty bad.

I'll have to look up those Odachi sets and see if I want to stay as Heavy armor or change to Medium depenging on what effects they have. I might load up my other save with my all ninja guy and see how I like the Tonfa in light armor with him at some point but for now I'm liking the Odachi to go through the DLCs with.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I needed help on almost every single DLC boss....Except Sanada. I got extremely lucky with Sanada and i finished him off with 5/6 sloth talismen that landed, and even then you barely have time to get anything in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You're gonna have a really rough time with NG+ if you rely on Sloth talismans too much.