Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's kind of a joke that a t3 barracks give you 3 tomb guard but only 2 nehekharakaka warriors. Also, basic skellymans need to be expendable. Also, 3000 gold for one ushtabi is ridiculous. Also, there needs to be a faster way to recruit skellymans. Also, chariots are super awesome and underpriced. Also, why does the chariot line end in a crappy catapult. Also, there should be a t3 chariot.

What I am trying to say is that I am a whiny baby and skellymans are hard and I don't understand why when I win a battle i have fewer units than the loser. Am I dense or are tomb Kings a horde faction with severe replenishment issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The catapult should work as a chariot that whizzes around hurling yelling skulls at enemies then when it runs out of skulls it just whips the spine arm thing around with a big skull as a wrecking ball.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What I am trying to say is that I am a whiny baby and skellymans are hard and I don't understand why when I win a battle i have fewer units than the loser. Am I dense or are tomb Kings a horde faction with severe replenishment issues?

One of the Books of Nagash creates a sandstorm in any region you conquer that causes attrition to enemies and gives you a huge buff to replenishment. Get that book and never worry about replenishment again

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's the major weakness of Tomb Scorpions vs Necrosphinxes? The first being available at a lower tier, from a cheaper building, and twice as many per building would suggest there's some shortcoming I'm not seeing. Or are they just straight up way more cost effective like it appears?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eschatos posted:

What's the major weakness of Tomb Scorpions vs Necrosphinxes? The first being available at a lower tier, from a cheaper building, and twice as many per building would suggest there's some shortcoming I'm not seeing. Or are they just straight up way more cost effective like it appears?

Necrosphinxes are huge monsters designed to take on other big monsters. They can 1v1 beat Star Dragons, Shaggoths etc.

Tomb Scorpions are infantry disruption but are poo poo at fighting larger stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, basic skellymans need to be expendable.

This would actually do nothing for the TK because they cannot route.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, 3000 gold for one ushtabi is ridiculous.

You have zero upkeep and never need to pay for units, so you're buying an infinitely respawning Ushabti for 3000 gold.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, there needs to be a faster way to recruit skellymans.

Research it.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Get a Liche Priest for extra replenishment.

Eschatos posted:

Necrosphinxes have better stats across the board, are anti-large and have more mass.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What does binding actually do to a unit? Does it give them debuffs to their skills or something? The leadership forTK units still gets affected by the LD of units around them, right?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Zore posted:

Necrosphinxes are huge monsters designed to take on other big monsters. They can 1v1 beat Star Dragons, Shaggoths etc.

Tomb Scorpions are infantry disruption but are poo poo at fighting larger stuff.

Er, whichever sphinx is anti-infantry.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

What does binding actually do to a unit? Does it give them debuffs to their skills or something? The leadership forTK units still gets affected by the LD of units around them, right?

Binding is just the VC/TK word for leadership/morale. Instead of running away when they go into negative leadership they start to disintegrate and lose health. Most undead or all undead are immune to psychology so terror and fear won't do anything to them. If you hold the mouse over their leadership bar by the enemy banner/unit card you can see what exactly is impacting leadership:

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eschatos posted:

Warsphinxes are more killy than Scorpions. Scorpion attack animation leaves them invulnerable for long periods, but it also moves them around a ton and they're way better for disrupting a group of enemies than actually killing them.

Warsphinxes are also okayish against single model entities while scorpions are basically useless.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Trujillo posted:

Binding is just the VC/TK word for leadership/morale. Instead of running away when they go into negative leadership they start to disintegrate and lose health. Most undead or all undead are immune to psychology so terror and fear won't do anything to them. If you hold the mouse over their leadership bar by the enemy banner/unit card you can see what exactly is impacting leadership:

Ok, so all it does is damage them? Does it damage all units hp equally? Do they regain that hp when they get positive leadership?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eschatos posted:

The Warsphinx is the anti-infantry one, and it's still statistically better than a Tomb Scorpion in pretty much every way, on top of having a couple of dudes riding it with bows. So far in my campaigns, though, the major advantage of the Warsphinx is that it has more mass and it disrupts enemy formations more while fighting in them. They can take on something like an AP infantry unit pretty easily just because the infantry are going to have a much tougher time getting close enough to hit it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What does the necroarchtect do in battle? Do they buff the sphynx? Whats the best first hero to take? Wouldnt mind some tips for the egypt khemry, orks kinda kick my rear end 1 on 1.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok, so all it does is damage them? Does it damage all units hp equally? Do they regain that hp when they get positive leadership?

Units with more than one model take damage as a unit from stuff like crumbling, and no, they will not regain their HP or get their dead members back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sekenr posted:

What does the necroarchtect do in battle? Do they buff the sphynx? Whats the best first hero to take? Wouldnt mind some tips for the egypt khemry, orks kinda kick my rear end 1 on 1.

Necrotecht kills enemy heroes or lords on foot, due to their pretty impressive anti-infantry bonus and pretty decent yellow tree. They also improve your campaign speed and late game let you recruit additional constructs and reduce building costs.

Most importantly they can also repair your starting overpowered construct.

Recruit one that gives +ushabti/scorpions or has better combat stats. I think they are the best initial hero.

Early game I also use mine to make an endrun on enemy catapults. I deploy way back and just have him go around the enemy army and take them out on his own.

Edit: They also unlock a ritual that lets you turn ruins into an instant T3 settlement for cheaper than it would cost to build one up normally.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 25, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you're playing Settra, I'm pretty sure the overall best choice for that turn 6 hero pick is the Necrotect. Significantly because it gets you fast access to the second ritual, and thus lets you quickly finish out your starting region with a fully upgraded settlement.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

turn off the TV posted:

Pretty sure VC zombies are expendable and it does work for undead - army losses cause your units leadership penalties so if basic skeletons were expendable losing them by the truckload doesn't penalize the ld of your more useful units.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

turn off the TV posted:

e:f,b

They crumble instead right? Isn't that still a problem, assuming an adjacent unit falls it causes nearby units to crumble faster?

Lt. Broccoli fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cool. How does sphynx repair work, is it automatic?

Not sure I understand what you said about heroes, they give you a choice between necrotect, tomb prince, lich or some money. I assumed necrotect should be good because of the sphynx.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sekenr posted:

Cool. How does sphynx repair work, is it automatic?

Not sure I understand what you said about heroes, they give you a choice between necrotect, tomb prince, lich or some money. I assumed necrotect should be good because of the sphynx.

It is a skill you can select at level 2.

If you don't like the unique hero abilities for your free Necrotect just dismiss him and get another one. They are free and that event increases your hero cap.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Definitely get the free Necrotect first with Settra. Unlock the ritual Necrotect to cap the home province and then put skillpoints into campaign movement bonus for when you're ready to send out an expeditionary army. Aside from that I'd probably go for melee defence and canopic jars. I actually wouldn't bother unlocking their construct buffs until getting that other stuff first. And make sure the Orcs don't kill him!

I also unlocked a Tomb Prince from research and had him do his bodyguard thing with Settra and the Necrotect. They are a strong goon squad early on and Settra can get them out of trouble with his explosion.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 25, 2018

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Good lord Settra steamrolls. I got a short campaign victory on ME on the turn the very first chaos waves arrived.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I thought the dwarven tide was supposed to be fixed? Had a Settra campaign I started and all 3 major dwarven groups confederated with each other by turn 40.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I haven't played an ME campaign yet. Do they still need a 2x Dwarf upkeep mod?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

So I was sending a random tk lord as soon as i could get a second to roam the seas being a loot gobbo.

Turns out, arkhan has been chasing that solo tk for about 30 turns so far. leading him on a merry trip around Ulthwan

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure VC zombies are expendable and it does work for undead

No. Expendable is specifically a trait about routing in Warhammer 2. If a unit sees another unit routing that's expendable then they don't take a morale penalty. Undead cannot route, so they can't be expendable.

Geckoagua posted:

e:f,b

They crumble instead right? Isn't that still a problem, assuming an adjacent unit falls it causes nearby units to crumble faster?

Yes.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 25, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does the "Meatshield" trait do anything or is it just a description like "damage dealer"

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

turn off the TV posted:

No. Expendable is specifically a trait about routing in Warhammer 2. If a unit sees another unit routing that's expendable then they don't take a morale penalty. Undead cannot route, so they can't be expendable.

Does this apply in Warhammer 1 as well? I had no idea this was the case and I might have stuck with Bretonnia a bit longer if so

God drat what lovely infantry those factions have

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does the "Meatshield" trait do anything or is it just a description like "damage dealer"

All red/green text at the top of a unit card is 100% fluff and guidelines. All mechanical effects are included in the statblock and abilities line

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaza42 posted:

All red/green text at the top of a unit card is 100% fluff and guidelines. All mechanical effects are included in the statblock and abilities line
It's mildly annoying when a card says "anti-infantry" when the unit doesn't actually have that bonus.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Duggler posted:

Does this apply in Warhammer 1 as well? I had no idea this was the case and I might have stuck with Bretonnia a bit longer if so

They added it back to at least some TW1 factions. Goblin units are all now expendable, for example. I assume Bret peasants are as well, but not certain. There is also a caveat that other expendable units still take the moral hit from expendable units routing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Duggler posted:

It is only present in warhammer 2, but has been added to some of the older factions in Mortal Empires.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Mordja posted:

It's mildly annoying when a card says "anti-infantry" when the unit doesn't actually have that bonus.

I think the only units with this keyword but no bonus are cavalry (and maybe monsters or chariots) in which case it refers to their extra mass, charge impact and disruption

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

peer posted:

I think the only units with this keyword but no bonus are cavalry (and maybe monsters or chariots) in which case it refers to their extra mass, charge impact and disruption

It's also used for units with AoE attacks

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Its good to know I shouldn't be going based off the green text. I didn't even see the abilities at the bottom of the unit card

This thread is so helpful :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Duggler posted:

Its good to know I shouldn't be going based off the green text. I didn't even see the abilities at the bottom of the unit card

Half the time the abilities and text are still incredibly vague. It's wonderful. My Skeleton Archers and Ushabti have +75 ability range with Hawkish Precision. They don't seem to have any abilities, and they're the only units that can get the Hawkish Precision trait. :iiam:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

turn off the TV posted:

Half the time the abilities and text are still incredibly vague. It's wonderful. My Skeleton Archers and Ushabti have +75 ability range with Hawkish Precision. They don't seem to have any abilities, and they're the only units that can get the Hawkish Precision trait. :iiam:

I think that means if no enemies are within that distance then the ability will be active.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Khalida start turns this game into XCOM -- you start at your weakest, worst point, then once you hit a certain point you just snowball ridiculously forever. Taking out Kroq with T1 TK infantry borders on impossible. Here's how I managed to do it:

1) if you capture Doom Crater and build walls around it, two TK stacks can prevent Kroq from taking it. They'll take such massive casualties themselves that it's impossible to push forward, but they'll knock out Kroq for a while and you'll hold the town.
2) hold the Doom Crater while focusing on getting new dynasties out.
3) eventually, after wiping 4-5 times against the Doom Crater, Kroq might start to talk about peace. If he does this, take him up on it then raid the poo poo out of his border for cash.
4) Once you've got four dynasties out, put 'em in ambush mode around the Doom Crater. You should have some Tomb Guard/Ushabti etc at this point. When Kroq declares war (which he will 100% do), wait until you see his stack, then pop a sandstorm.

That's what it took: 4x TK stacks, with some higher tier units, all ambushing. I wiped Kroq's stack, with few enough casualties that I could push down into the jungle. It was one of the toughest things I've had to do in this game, but once it was done, Khalida became unstoppable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The Duggler posted:

Be sure to mouse over their weapon strength to get the exact numbers. A unit with armor piercing icon just means it does more ap damage than regular, but the exact amount varies across different units. Some units aren't described as armor piercing but get a respectable amount regardless, just not more than their regular damage.

Same thing with anti large or anti infantry. The bonus can vary a lot; there's a big difference between +5 dmg vs large and +50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think that means if no enemies are within that distance then the ability will be active.

Apparently this was incorrect, it's specifically when enemies are in that range it will be active, but nobody knew that it wasn't working correctly because nobody knew what it was supposed to actually do.