Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I thought gojira starts with him destroying stuff wantonly? No one is safe from him. '14 fakes this to show it was the mutos while Godzilla is hunting them down to overtly save people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

We have a Godzilla thread

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

sponges posted:

Eh this is good discussion than superhero comics movie poo poo spilling into every other thread. I like it.

Godzilla saves people in ‘14 but not necessarily like a hero. He uses body like a shield, he brings the wave, but I think it’s more because in some way he is justice and balance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

I thought gojira starts with him destroying stuff wantonly? No one is safe from him. '14 fakes this to show it was the mutos while Godzilla is hunting them down to overtly save people.

I said calls back to 64-75, not 54

I should clarify further- Late 64-75. For the first 4 movies Godzilla was very much an antagonistic force, though sympathetic in the original movie. In 1964 we got two key Godzilla movies- VS Mothra and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.

With Ghidorah, Godzilla shifts from being the bad guy to the hero of the world, if not still unhappy with humanity at large.

sponges posted:

Godzilla has comic books thus it counts

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's how lame most comic book movies are, we've all moved on to talking about real superheroes like King Kong and Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
'14 even has a supposedly canon comic tie in showing how the military first came into contact with Godzilla and decided to try and nuke him to death. (and failed)

Namely the atomic bombings of Japan in WWII awoke a swarmlike MUTO (who really should have been given a name but whatever) that Godzilla arose to stop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Burkion posted:

More it's about the victims of the atomic bomb- up to and including Godzilla himself- and more broadly how science can be used for good and ill.
There's certainly a lot of overlap there; definitely some connection between "We did it for science, flew too close to the sun, poo poo poo poo my dick's on fire" and "We thought we were the master race, descended from the sun goddess, poo poo poo poo my dick's on fire"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Burkion posted:

I said calls back to 64-75, not 54

I should clarify further- Late 64-75. For the first 4 movies Godzilla was very much an antagonistic force, though sympathetic in the original movie. In 1964 we got two key Godzilla movies- VS Mothra and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.

Yeah, that's why I was specifically talking about godzilla's characterization being a hero so "early" in a franchise about giant monsters. It reminds me of the marvel films, where all this life changing stuff happens constantly and the movies take it in stride as no thing. They might as well have ended it like phantom menace with the president holding up a giant egg while Godzilla roars behind him. Would've appreciated that at least.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's not early in the franchise, it's just a movie.

There's been 31 of these things which either have extremely loose continuity or just retcon or start from scratch. Having one that just out of the gate says, "Godzilla is our savior" isn't undermining anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a fundamentalist film about putting the "God" back in Godzilla, similar to how the Apes series is about Chimp Moses.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

K. Waste posted:

It's not early in the franchise, it's just a movie.

There's been 31 of these things which either have extremely loose continuity or just retcon or start from scratch. Having one that just out of the gate says, "Godzilla is our savior" isn't undermining anything.
I need to watch it again without thinking about the originals and that frame of mind. Like I just watched fellowship, and remember hating arwens character when it first released, now with fresh eyes, she really does work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a fundamentalist film about putting the "God" back in Godzilla, similar to how the Apes series is about Chimp Moses.
God does pick and choose

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

'14 even has a supposedly canon comic tie in showing how the military first came into contact with Godzilla and decided to try and nuke him to death. (and failed)

Namely the atomic bombings of Japan in WWII awoke a swarmlike MUTO (who really should have been given a name but whatever) that Godzilla arose to stop.

It actually has a name: Shinomura :flashfact:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember the movie being well-received in Japan, with older people saying it brought back the Godzilla from their childhood.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
G14 did a fantastic job of making a well structured film with a very familiar (indeed iconic) character, by almost never showing him, but by having most of the movie revolve around anticipation of him. It's kind of the straight version of "Whenever Poochie is not on screen, other characters should be asking 'Where's Poochie?'" but handled with a lot of skill.

People had their problems with Edwards, but he does have a knack for depicting things of great size moving with great weight. Rogue One benefited from this as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First look at Brie Larson as Captain Marvel https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUaMX8dVAAAC3CB.jpg

More images here: https://pagesix.com/2018/01/25/first-look-at-brie-larson-as-captain-marvel/?utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=Native&utm_campaign=P6Twitter

Meh

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
These are getting worse than them all just being in x Men leather

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For gently caress's sake.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I don't like it. Bland. Boring. Has no character to it. Not sure why it's teal either. Too many other heroes in red/blue? Said this in the BSS movie thread, but it's generic homogenized MCU costume design.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zzzzzz

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that's a TV quality superhero costume, not movie quality.

Maybe it's just her first costume and she gets a better one by the end of the movie??

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So they're going to make it red and blue in post, right?

Marvel's Captain Marvel not off to a good start.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the loving Ant-Man costume with a different color! Awful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I can't believe they found a way to make tit-windows look more tasteful by comparison.

edit: Wait, I'm thinking of Power Girl, right?

Eh, gently caress it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The teal is being replaced with the final suit by the end of the film.

That's MarVels current comic look and presumably the first, deliberately rubbish, attempt at her own.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 25, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

teagone posted:

Yeah, I don't like it. Bland. Boring. Has no character to it. Not sure why it's teal either.

People were upset at Bale's mauve Batman costume. That said, it's still a bland design.

It's as if they really want it to look like Stark Industries just gives every Marvel superhero a factory-made bodysuit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

I can't believe they found a way to make tit-windows look more tasteful by comparison.

Eh, gently caress it.

You're not wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

K. Waste posted:

Eh, gently caress it.

Tit windows are Power Girl, the thigh-high boot look was old Ms. Marvel before she adopted "Captain". And before that, she had a one-piece swimsuit look going on from the waist down.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

That's MarVels current comic look and presumably the first, deliberately rubbish, attempt at her own.

I get that they are going for the whole "she gets her true costume colors at the end of the movie" but gently caress they can at least keep the simplicity and contrast of her comic costume in the initial version. The material quality is less important than the strength of the overall design, and in this version is muddled and bland. They might be able to punch up the color contrast in post I guess, but I still don't like the random clashing crap thrown in all over the thing.

I'm honestly more disappointed in the haircut. I'm sure Larson made sure she didn't have to cut her hair in her contract, but it's just another visually distinct aspect of the character they've left out.

You don't even have to stray from Marvel to see good costume design, look at images from Black Panther. There's just really nothing to get excited about visually here like there was with the initial look at the BP costume work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm honestly more disappointed in the haircut. I'm sure Larson made sure she didn't have to cut her hair in her contract, but it's just another visually distinct aspect of the character they've left out.

I'm guessing she'll rock a CG fauxhawk when she goes super saiyan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please retire "gets the true suit at the end" now.

It worked in DareDevil, which was a rare case of the show being more compelling before he got his real suit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I did a google image search for Captain Marvel, 99% of the images were a woman character, and it was a 60/40 split between shoulder length hair and shortish hair, with only one fauxhawk to be seen.

Maybe all the wrong comics have been digitised? I don't read them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, isn't teal the basic color scheme of early Mar-Vel and the Kree soldiers? It makes sense if the story starts there with her wearing more of the soldier uniform to start and for her to adopt the more personal red and blue as she develops and into the present. It all seems especially fluid with the unclear timeline of this being set in the 90s with her appearing in the present.

I'm not going to freak out over some paparazzi shot with no context, at least. It looks bland but I'll wait for SOMETHING official.

But how is this more trashy than boob windows or a bathing suit? That logic I don't follow.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 25, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I did a google image search for Captain Marvel, 99% of the images were a woman character, and it was a 60/40 split between shoulder length hair and shortish hair, with only one fauxhawk to be seen.

TBF it seems like a good portion of the results are photoshops of Brie Larson herself in the costume. There also seem to be a few images of Captain Marvel #1 where she did have the long hair, and I would expect that to get more hits proportionally.

I admittedly don't read her comic either and mostly know her from Ms. Marvel and some other crossover books, but I think at this point she has been rocking the short hair look for awhile.

In either case my point about it being more visually distinctive stands. Right now she looks like a boring white lady in a bad biker outfit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I tried reading Captain Marvel comics, but I couldn't get into them. If you do an image search for "Captain Marvel Comic" you'll come up with a lot more images that show the character with shorter hair, done up either in like a pomp or fauxhawk-esque. Reminds me of Ruby Rose's hair styles.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I actually like it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guy A. Person posted:

I admittedly don't read her comic either and mostly know her from Ms. Marvel and some other crossover books, but I think at this point she has been rocking the short hair look for awhile.

Well, it's an origin story set in the 90s, and she's a Captain in the USAF right? She's hardly going to be sporting anything other than a regulation do early in the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

NTRabbit posted:

Well, it's an origin story set in the 90s

Give her The Rachel.

Sam Jackson gets a hairpiece that's George Clooney's Caesar cut.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the costume looks fine, I would have preferred similar colors to her comics costume, but perhaps they feel that they are using too much red.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oasx posted:

I think the costume looks fine, I would have preferred similar colors to her comics costume, but perhaps they feel that they are using too much red.

Someone pointed this out on my Twitter timeline
https://twitter.com/SuperBroMovies/status/956636928077697027

Apparently Captain Marvel doesn't start filming until March, so maybe those set photos are from an Avengers Infinity War post credits scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

teagone posted:

Someone pointed this out on my Twitter timeline
https://twitter.com/SuperBroMovies/status/956636928077697027

Apparently Captain Marvel doesn't start filming until March, so maybe those set photos are from an Avengers Infinity War post credits scene.

BSS is claiming that the Russos said Carol Danvers - but not Captain Marvel - will make an appearance in Infinity War.