Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

But you don't like playing magic I thought. You just speccing for that amazing MTGfinance?

I play my unplayable legacy deck because it's the only time I get to hang out with my friends given my stupid work schedule. It's cool because everyone has multiple Dread of Nights so for the low cost of B I no longer get to play the game! If I was actually trying to make money I'd have bought 100 and also I would not be playing a children's card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

If I was actually trying to make money... I would not be playing a children's card game.

This is a good point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Anyone dealt with selling/trading to TCGplayer for credit? How bad am I gonna get rooked if I trade in some random standard rares to TCGplayer for credit to finish my stupid stompy gruulasaur deck? The buylist prices are a lot less insulting than my friendly local magic shop for sure. If they are bad, is there a better option?

Well the credit is great because there is rarely better deals than what can be found on tcgplayer. As far as the buylist stuff, I never really looked into it. Being a seller isn't any more painful as any other platform and probably worth the effort unless you are trying to buy list a ton of volume.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

I think just having the Immortal Sun on a plane prevents planeswalkers from planeswalking to another plane? But it doesn't stop, say, a planar bridge. One of the cards from the set indicates that Tezzeret shows up to swipe The Immortal Sun and move it elsewhere using the bridge. Bolas stole a planar bridge, created an army of Eternals, and now will have the anti-planeswalking power of the Immortal Sun, but we don't know what his endgame is yet.

Ugin's plans loving suck since they all depended on him not getting put into a coma by Nicol Bolas.

Technically, I think Gideon and Chandra blew up the Planar Bridge but the idea is that he figured out the plans or something.

Basically, the idea is, Bolas took the Planar Bridge's "plans" then returned to Amonkhet because the Bridge can only send non-living things through, so he's going to send the Eternals to...somewhere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically, the idea is, Bolas took the Planar Bridge's "plans" then returned to Amonkhet because the Bridge can only send non-living things through, so he's going to send the Eternals to...somewhere.

It's Dominaria, isn't it? They're going to meta-plot up our core set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's Dominaria, isn't it? They're going to meta-plot up our core set.

I don't think Dominaria is designated as a core set though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
why does the lead up to GDS3 seem like a clusterfuck
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/956590078523932672

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Anyone dealt with selling/trading to TCGplayer for credit? How bad am I gonna get rooked if I trade in some random standard rares to TCGplayer for credit to finish my stupid stompy gruulasaur deck? The buylist prices are a lot less insulting than my friendly local magic shop for sure. If they are bad, is there a better option?

I've done it a few times. It's pretty much fine, but theyre really strict about shipping times; when you submit you have like 3-4 business days to have it DELIVERED to them.

So long as youre good there; its been mostly reasonable. I did have some Mishra's Baubles sent back to me right when they announced the IMA reprint (I'd mailed them beforehand), which seemed a bit irritating, but all-in-all it's been good.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it's ravnica y'all we're going back (again). they were pretty open that their rotation is: 1-2 return blocks > 2-3 new places block > 1-2 return blocks. you're not randomly bring azor back for no reason other than jace bs

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The buylist prices are a lot less insulting than my friendly local magic shop for sure. If they are bad, is there a better option?

I was tempted to trade some old cards to my store as people were saying good things about trading into them. They offered 40% tcg price as cash or 50% as credit. Was a definite no after that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elmon posted:

I was tempted to trade some old cards to my store as people were saying good things about trading into them. They offered 40% tcg price as cash or 50% as credit. Was a definite no after that.

The best store I ever had for trade was 50% TCGmid in cash, 60% in trade. I've never really seen anything better than that at a LGS. Most stores will even try to buy at %s of low which is just insulting when they turn around and charge more than mid.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So stupid rules question that I think I know the answer to but want to make sure of. Can I take control of an opponent's Phage with Willbreaker in order to use fractured identity on it to make them lose? I know the fractured identity part works. I'm just not certain on if taking control of Phage won't just make me lose.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elmon posted:

Stores gotta make money dude. While you can get some higher margins elsewhere, you really are putting in a lot more effort for that extra 10-40% for everything but the best staples.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ChaosReaper posted:

So stupid rules question that I think I know the answer to but want to make sure of. Can I take control of an opponent's Phage with Willbreaker in order to use fractured identity on it to make them lose? I know the fractured identity part works. I'm just not certain on if taking control of Phage won't just make me lose.

It's only when Phage comes into play. So just don't Gather Specimens a Phage and you're good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Just run Phage and Fractured Identity as your Oloro wincon because you like to make everyone suffer slowly and painfully.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ShaneB posted:

The best store I ever had for trade was 50% TCGmid in cash, 60% in trade. I've never really seen anything better than that at a LGS. Most stores will even try to buy at %s of low which is just insulting when they turn around and charge more than mid.

The best LGS in town does about 50% of their face price and +40% (so their buy price * 1.4) if you take it in store credit. They curtail their buylist though, but it's a pretty good deal if you're just looking to shift from one collection to another.

Of course, they're a rock on the local scene and have a pretty high volume, so they can probably reliably do this and not have the cards hang around in stock forever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

suicidesteve posted:

I play my unplayable legacy deck because it's the only time I get to hang out with my friends given my stupid work schedule. It's cool because everyone has multiple Dread of Nights so for the low cost of B I no longer get to play the game! If I was actually trying to make money I'd have bought 100 and also I would not be playing a children's card game.

Hahahaha even your so-called "friends" don't want you playing magic with them. Take a hint, dude!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

it's ravnica y'all we're going back (again). they were pretty open that their rotation is: 1-2 return blocks > 2-3 new places block > 1-2 return blocks. you're not randomly bring azor back for no reason other than jace bs

well they basically wrote azor out of the story with jace bs so

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

dragon enthusiast posted:

well they basically wrote azor out of the story with jace bs so

they literally made Azor go to a place called 'useless island" and be banished there forever

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mezzanon posted:

they literally made Azor go to a place called 'useless island" and be banished there forever

Bye Azor.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I laughed so loving hard when I got to this part.

Is Useless Island mentioned in any of the previous story articles? Or did they just make it up right there?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Is Useless Island mentioned in any of the previous story articles? Or did they just make it up right there?

jace tried the thing from Castaway but ended up there instead

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mezzanon posted:

nah its been around for a few years now, its what you use to cast blue spells in standard

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Jace called either the island he landed on in Ixalan or the one he rafted over to in the first part of the Ixalan story Useless Island, I forget which

E: also if you think the Wizard of Oz Azor won't be back then lol

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

wtf is "Law Magic"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AceClown posted:

wtf is "Law Magic"

Exactly what it sounds like, I suspect

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

AceClown posted:

wtf is "Law Magic"

ACAB-RADABRA

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

born on a buy you posted:

As long as they reprint Maze's End and Guildgates I will give no fucks about what other cards are in the set

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

sit on my Facebook posted:

Exactly what it sounds like, I suspect

I mean I get that but where does it come from? What mana do you need to play "Law" spells? How does it fit in the colour pie? I thought they stopped spells having sub-types? Does MaRo know about this?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

:trumppop:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AceClown posted:

wtf is "Law Magic"

Magic that is used to enforce order or suppress the abilities of others. I think Gideon technically falls under that also.

Elyv posted:

Jace called either the island he landed on in Ixalan or the one he rafted over to in the first part of the Ixalan story Useless Island, I forget which

E: also if you think the Wizard of Oz Azor won't be back then lol

The first one was Useless Island. He made a raft and then went to a second one and figured out the first one wasn't useless at all and the second one literally had nothing on it but bird poo poo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 26, 2018

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What's up with Garruk these days? Can he come back and kill Jace ASAP please kthx.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gideon uses law magic, yeah. It lets you suppress people or something, I'm not sure. A couple other things here and there are also law magic related

E:

Smashing Link posted:

What's up with Garruk these days? Can he come back and kill Jace ASAP please kthx.

the last time we saw Garruk was in whichever core set it was had the GB Garruk, and I think the last time before that was Innistrad. He's a crazy hunter dude now but I do think there's a reasonable chance he'll be in Dominaria because it's been a long time and he's tied in with Lili storywise

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I like how they try to make LIVING GUILDPACT seem interesting in any way. It's not. It's loving stupid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AceClown posted:

I mean I get that but where does it come from? What mana do you need to play "Law" spells? How does it fit in the colour pie? I thought they stopped spells having sub-types? Does MaRo know about this?

law magic is white-blue typically

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AceClown posted:

wtf is "Law Magic"

A lot of the Gideon-related cards in Origins also referred to Hieromancy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hieromancy is just light magic though, basically white magic used to bind bodies mostly, and buff and healing too I want to say?

Law magic dips into blue and binds the will as well as the body.

Just look at Azorius cards and you'll find examples

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

gideon is poo poo from an rear end. even his weapon doesn't make sense.