Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The Cardassians see the moral of this story as "don't tell the same lie twice."

If you're trying to talk me into watching DS9 again, you don't actually have to try very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

If you're trying to talk me into watching DS9 again, you don't actually have to try very hard.

Watch the best Star trek ever Babylon 5

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you count everyone who's credited in at least half of the the 15 episodes listed on IMDB, that's 12 characters (excluding the computer voice). Out of the actors in this main cast, 50% are women, 33% are people of color, 17% are gay, assuming everyone is straight unless explicitly shown as otherwise, it could even be higher. Only three couples have been shown consentially kissing that I can recall, one of which was two gay men, and out of those three couplings, I'd classify only one of those relationships as positive and healthy, the gay one. That seems like pretty decent representation to me, but I admit I have a white guy perspective. And it's not like minorities are being limited to the minor supporting roles, with Michael Burnham as the lead, and Stamets being one of the most important characters too. Star Trek loves to kill off a couple, and if you're going to do that in STD, there's really only one option. STD also might have the quickest passing of the Bechdel Test with literally the first scene.

I'm genuinely not trying to argue or tell anyone they're wrong. If STD is unfairly or under representing these groups, I really want to understand what is a more fair way to represent everyone?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm genuinely not trying to argue or tell anyone they're wrong. If STD is unfairly or under representing these groups, I really want to understand what is a more fair way to represent everyone?
Literally just don't kill off a gay character for cheap drama in season one. That was a conscious decision and they could have written in another character to get killed, but they didn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

shovelbum posted:

Watch the best Star trek ever Babylon 5

Both are good, we don't need to do this.

And I don't hate Mirror Lorca as much as I did before the reveal, as it seemed like it was just going to be "He's an rear end in a top hat, so must be from the Mirror Universe!" but at least the did something more than that.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Tiggum posted:

Literally just don't kill off a gay character for cheap drama in season one. That was a conscious decision and they could have written in another character to get killed, but they didn't.

They killed the idiot security woman too, granted she was barely a character, but there are like five characters and that's the bigger problem.

And I don't even care how regressive or hot this is as a take: if you're making a world where women are truly equal, you need to let them die like idiots sometimes. Dark Matter stuck out to me as a show where every extra in the disposable bad guy groups was always a man.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Star Trek Discovery: Turn your monitor on.

Alternatively

Trigger Warning - <rant>Star Trek Discovery</rant>
in honour of the main Trek thread breaking the warp barrier and achieving cringe factor 10 yesterday.

link please

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm unclear on why Stamets waking up would also wake up Mirror Stamets. Did Mirror Staments explain that?

Or did Mirror Stamets already know how to wake up, and he just went in there so he could pull Prime Stamets out for later use?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you count everyone who's credited in at least half of the the 15 episodes listed on IMDB, that's 12 characters (excluding the computer voice). Out of the actors in this main cast, 50% are women, 33% are people of color, 17% are gay, assuming everyone is straight unless explicitly shown as otherwise, it could even be higher. Only three couples have been shown consentially kissing that I can recall, one of which was two gay men, and out of those three couplings, I'd classify only one of those relationships as positive and healthy, the gay one. That seems like pretty decent representation to me, but I admit I have a white guy perspective. And it's not like minorities are being limited to the minor supporting roles, with Michael Burnham as the lead, and Stamets being one of the most important characters too. Star Trek loves to kill off a couple, and if you're going to do that in STD, there's really only one option. STD also might have the quickest passing of the Bechdel Test with literally the first scene.

That is actually over-representation for America, but under-representation for the entire planet, which is at least 90% gay. (Compared to America.)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tiggum posted:

You've got to admit, this is the perfect setup for Stamets to go cruising across mycelial dimensions, now that the old ball and chain is gone.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Fat Lowtax posted:

They killed the idiot security woman too, granted she was barely a character, but there are like five characters and that's the bigger problem.

For all the dumb, poor stuff that took place in the former half of the show, this was the bit that had me gut laughing at Discovery. It was such a hilariously stupid moment, for the head of security no less.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Phasers are kind of a "uncaring god" killer weapon. You aim to people with what looks like a TV remote and press a button, and that person is removed.

That way are kind of cool in a "gently caress you" kind of way, for a sci-fi serie.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 25, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PostNouveau posted:

I'm unclear on why Stamets waking up would also wake up Mirror Stamets. Did Mirror Staments explain that?

Because somethingsomethingmycelialnetwork (also... plot).

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Spore Force, ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

xerxus posted:

Spore Force, ain't gotta explain poo poo.

I think in science fiction is not important how stupid is the "What if" scenario, only what you do with it, if you use to it make something interesting.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Budgie posted:

link please

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3781992&perpage=40&pagenumber=870#post480592995

Quite literally spoilered to protect people from mention of Discovery. Not Discovery spoilers. Discovery the programme. Shrinking into a corncob indeed.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Clearly, people who enjoy Discovery are the crazy ones though.

If Babylon 5 was streaming somewhere, even just the first season, I'd be all over it. I recently finished a watch (mostly rewatch except for VOY and ENT) of all the Trek and I haven't quite found my "what do I watch while I'm drawing/building models/folding laundry?" show to replace it. I've gotta give my partner a break from Trek before I start rewatching TOS or DS9 again in earnest or she might stab me.

I have biweekly Discovery watch parties with some friends and I think I need to feed them some sort of seafood, possibly shrimp or soup or both, just so I can see them recoil in extra horror at the Kelpian stew scene. Any ideas?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sadly, as much as B5 was excellent, I find that it is ageing quite poorly. There are some really rough quality issues with the writing. Or maybe I've just watched it too many times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Geekboy posted:

I have biweekly Discovery watch parties with some friends and I think I need to feed them some sort of seafood, possibly shrimp or soup or both, just so I can see them recoil in extra horror at the Kelpian stew scene. Any ideas?

Not seafood, but throw in some lotus root.

It's immediately what I thought of when I saw what the two of them were eating. Bonus: it's delicious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geekboy posted:

If Babylon 5 was streaming somewhere, even just the first season, I'd be all over it.

It's on go90, the streaming platform from Verizon, and it's free.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I enjoy Discovery for Lorca and Georgiou being commanding leaders of action, not for Voq-Tyler and Burnham drama. Does this qualify me as half-crazy?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GuyUpNorth posted:

I enjoy Discovery for Lorca and Georgiou being commanding leaders of action, not for Voq-Tyler and Burnham drama. Does this qualify me as half-crazy?

Lorca makes me weep for what Janeway could've been with better writers

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't think they can afford (in a literal sense) to keep Jason Isaacs on, which is a drat shame.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They should find some obscure cheap classically trained theatre actor to replace him; like TNG did.

Alternatively; what's Jeff Combs doing at the moment?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Unless they kill Lorca off (and they either will or he'll become Emperor as Discovery leaves MU), Isaacs would be a great guest star for a multi-episode arc in season 3 or something. They might be able to afford him for that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Geekboy posted:

You can never go wrong with a good gumbo.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
So did.dumb security chief also come from MU? She was very attack oriented and I'm sure there was a moment of "we've been thru a lot together". The missing sister maybe?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think, in hindsight, she's an example of how Lorca corrupts people, women in particular.

Also, I do not think it likely that we are meant to infer the woman of Indian descent is the sister of a black man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tessiebee posted:

So did.dumb security chief also come from MU? She was very attack oriented and I'm sure there was a moment of "we've been thru a lot together". The missing sister maybe?
There is a clear shot of the Mirror version of the security chief lady in the trailer for the next episode

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is a clear shot of the Mirror version of the security chief lady in the trailer for the next episode

Or it was a clear shot of the Prime version of the security chief lady, given that she looked terrified while the other version was pretty MU-esque.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't recall getting any indication that the old security chief was sensitive to light however.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

Clearly, people who enjoy Discovery are the crazy ones though.

If Babylon 5 was streaming somewhere, even just the first season, I'd be all over it. I recently finished a watch (mostly rewatch except for VOY and ENT) of all the Trek and I haven't quite found my "what do I watch while I'm drawing/building models/folding laundry?" show to replace it. I've gotta give my partner a break from Trek before I start rewatching TOS or DS9 again in earnest or she might stab me.

Calamari.

So...there are dopplegangers or counterparts for so much in the Mirror Universe. Same species, same individuals, same technology. But is there anything even remotely similar in the Prime Universe to the Emperor's huge spaceship?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 25, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Binary Logic posted:

So...there are dopplegangers or counterparts for so much in the Mirror Universe. Same species, same individuals, same technology. But is there anything even remotely similar in the Prime Universe to the Emperor's huge spaceship?

You know, it kind of reminded me of the Doomsday World Eater Thing. Maybe in the MU they just sent waves of cheap frigates full of slaves at it until it was disabled and reverse engineered it.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You know, it kind of reminded me of the Doomsday World Eater Thing. Maybe in the MU they just sent waves of cheap frigates full of slaves at it until it was disabled and reverse engineered it.

For Sale: 1 World-Eater. Great condition and VERY well-fed. Make an offer!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Binary Logic posted:

I forgot who said that the Emperor's ship, the ISS Charon, is the very rough Mirror counterpart to the Klingons' Sarcophagus.

They're both flagships. And they both have names related to ships of the dead.

Maybe it's a stretch.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Was it someone in here that mentioned it looks a lot like the TNG Romulan D’Deridex grafted onto a federation ship?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does that mean there's a U.S.S Charon in the Primeverse?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Echo Chamber posted:

I forgot who said that the Emperor's ship, the ISS Charon, is the very rough Mirror counterpart to the Klingons' Sarcophagus.

They're both flagships. And they both have names related to ships of the dead.

Maybe it's a stretch.

I'm going to say that it's because whoever is designing ships for discovery is really bad at it. All the new ship designs are ugly as sin and share lots of features.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I'm going to say that it's because whoever is designing ships for discovery is really bad at it. All the new ship designs are ugly as sin and share lots of features.

Share lots of features?

*Looks-up the FASA Star Trek ship designs*

Hmm mmmm....checks out!

Anywho, the new ship designs are pretty neat, including the Klingon fleet. Can't wait till we get our spergy design books so I can obsess about pylon placement and figurehead design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't recall getting any indication that the old security chief was sensitive to light however.

"Benjamin Lafayette Sisko, what the hell has gotten into your head? You actually thought I was one of them, didn't you?"
"I don't know, I wasn't sure."
"This business has got you so twisted around, you can't think straight! You're seeing Terran infiltrators everywhere! Maybe you ought to think about something for a minute: if I was a smart Terran, a really good one, the first thing I would do would be to grab some poor doctor out of sickbay, make up an excuse, and get them to fix my eyes! Don't you see? There isn't a test that's been created that a smart man can't find his way around! You're not going to catch Terrans using some light test!"