Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Someone wrote a 2 page essay about the evolving complexity of computer systems and sketched out two possible far-future outcomes.
Someone else included that 2 page essay into their own book about computer complexity and far future outcomes. People who were 2/3 deep into
that computer complexity book came across that essay and were nodding along in agreement until they saw who wrote the essay, then they freaked the gently caress out.

One of the far-future outcomes sketched out in that 2 page essay was a small group of Elites running the affairs of a civilization where the non-Elites had been raised/educated/socially directed/gene-modified/etc to spend most of their lives focused on mostly harmless life goals/hobbies. The non-Elites would be reduced to the status of domestic pets of the Elites basically.

Replace the word "Elites" with Culture "MINDS", and replace the phrase "non-Elites" with "Culture drones/Culture biologicals"..and you basically have the plot of Banks' Player of Games jumping out & knife-missiling away your extremities because Special Circumstances thought it was funny/required for the mission/in your best interests to do so.

Who wrote that 2 page essay?
Just a nobody named Theodore Kaczynski aka the Unabomber.
It was well written and not at all what you'd expect from their impact (no pun intended) on history.

His political essays are very interesting actually, even if I disagree with many of his conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

His political essays are very interesting actually, even if I disagree with many of his conclusions.

Yeah, I don't think any considered him dumb. He was quite brilliant. And very emotionally disturbed.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

He was mostly right though, especially about timber lobbyists

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I don't think any considered him dumb. He was quite brilliant. And very emotionally disturbed.

He was also a massive fan of Jacques Ellul, who was a christian anarchist and member of the french resistance, and is therefore the best philosopher.

Practically unreadable, but that's not really a hindrance.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Practically unreadable in what way? Some things are technically readable but may contribute to a mental break, like Hegel

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

One of the far-future outcomes sketched out in that 2 page essay was a small group of Elites running the affairs of a civilization where the non-Elites had been raised/educated/socially directed/gene-modified/etc to spend most of their lives focused on mostly harmless life goals/hobbies. The non-Elites would be reduced to the status of domestic pets of the Elites basically.

Replace the word "Elites" with Culture "MINDS", and replace the phrase "non-Elites" with "Culture drones/Culture biologicals"..and you basically have the plot of Banks' Player of Games jumping out & knife-missiling away your extremities because Special Circumstances thought it was funny/required for the mission/in your best interests to do so.

The Time Machine?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, the Morlocks and Eloi thing isn't exactly new to literature.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the unabomber was right

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Was anyone here a fan of His Dark Materials trilogy as a kid?

I just picked up the first volume in Pullman's new trilogy The Book of Dust, which wraps around the previous. La Belle Sauvage is a prequel, and the other two will be sequels. So far its entertaining though already knowing what happens to several of the characters thanks to the main series takes away some of the tension.

It's still nice to return to that series' universe after so many years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ccs posted:

Was anyone here a fan of His Dark Materials trilogy as a kid?

I just picked up the first volume in Pullman's new trilogy The Book of Dust, which wraps around the previous. La Belle Sauvage is a prequel, and the other two will be sequels. So far its entertaining though already knowing what happens to several of the characters thanks to the main series takes away some of the tension.

It's still nice to return to that series' universe after so many years.

I read it as a teen but my memories of it make me think I would find it stupid as hell if I went back to it. I mean, the ending is these teen heroes must do sex to balance the universe because reasons

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

I read it as a teen but my memories of it make me think I would find it stupid as hell if I went back to it. I mean, the ending is these teen heroes must do sex to balance the universe because reasons
funny, I remember it as "We, two young lovers destined for each other have to be apart forever in our own worlds because if if visited it tears the universe in a small unmeasurable way so uh, sorry i guess our love just can't overcome, well, this extremely minor thing. And i'm glad you're not only understanding but will also remember and visit the site of what-ifs and dwell on it for decades and decades"

gently caress YOU phillip pullman, author of "I guess the universe doesn't want us to be together, sorry!" which is complete and utter bullshit that runs contrary to your entire "gently caress god and the universe too" message of the entire series

i literally threw the book against the wall and years later am still angry about it

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 25, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bhodi posted:

funny, I remember it as "We, two young lovers destined for each other have to be apart forever in our own worlds because if if visited it tears the universe in a small unmeasurable way so uh, sorry i guess our love just can't overcome, well, this extremely minor thing. And i'm glad you're not only understanding but will also remember and visit the site of what-ifs for decades and decades"

gently caress YOU phillip pullman, author of "I guess the universe doesn't want us to be together, sorry!" which is complete and utter bullshit that runs contrary to your entire "gently caress god and the universe too" message of the entire series

i literally threw the book against the wall and years later am still angry about it

Huh, I remember the flow of dust reversing as they did sex, but it's been like 15 years so I am probably remembering wrong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

Huh, I remember the flow of dust reversing as they did sex, but it's been like 15 years so I am probably remembering wrong.
I never read the new series, I was thinking of the amber spygass, the third book in the trilogy that ends with them agreeing they had to remain apart because when that knife opens a tear between worlds the tear never truly heals so she goes back to her world and like, grows old thinking of what might have been (this was after the sex)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 25, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bhodi posted:

I never read the new series, I was thinking of the amber spygass, the third book in the trilogy that ends with them agreeing they had to remain apart because when that knife opens a tear between worlds the tear never truly heals so she goes back to her world and like, grows old thinking of what might have been (this was after the sex)

I haven't read the new series either. You're right that they go back to their worlds, but I think their sexy time specifically is what makes the dust start going back to where it belongs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

I haven't read the new series either. You're right that they go back to their worlds, but I think their sexy time specifically is what makes the dust start going back to where it belongs.
It's been a while for me too so if this is the case my eyes are rolling twice as hard as they were before.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

The tears also produce evil specters! I was kind of mad at the ending when I first read it as a kid, but as an adult I get what Pullman was going for with it and kind of admire that he stuck with that downer ending in order to make his point about living in the now even if it means pain and loss down the road. Can you imagine the Hunger Games ending with Katniss dying for the cause, bringing the arc of her volunteering to die for another to full circle, instead of pairing off with one of the boys fighting over who had dibs for three books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like Northern Lights (/Golden Compass) and think it's a genuinely great YA book. Too bad about the sequels getting progressively stupider.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Northern Lights (/Golden Compass) and think it's a genuinely great YA book. Too bad about the sequels getting progressively stupider.

That’s my feeling too.

Then I read whichever short story it was Pullman wrote where the plot is “teenage girls who sneak off to read instead of going to the school disco and snogging boys get eaten by monsters and have to live inside them for eternity with nothing to read and SERVE THEM RIGHT” and decided he was far too invested in teenage girls shagging for my comfort.

Also as an ex-teenage girl who liked reading, no gently caress YOU Pullman.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

:same:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

The funny thing about Pullman's novels is that they get progressively worse in the same ways and for the same reasons that Lewis' Narnia books get bad: they start out with a good story but then get progressively preachier and dumb. He set out to write Narnia for Atheists and by god he achieved it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

But that is the general way for most fantasy series :psyduck:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Practically unreadable in what way? Some things are technically readable but may contribute to a mental break, like Hegel

He coins his own definition for technique and then bases everything he says around this new definition: “Technique is the totality of methods, rationally arrived at and having absolute efficiency (for a given stage of development) in every field of human activity.”

As far as I can tell he's arguing not against class-divides and capitalism, but against the very idea of rational organisation in the pursuit of efficiency. Which is either a very clever distillation of Marx's theory of alienation, or a completely banal restatement of the same ideas, and I haven't the foggiest idea which.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I had a very similar angry reaction to the ending of Animorphs, but not The Amber Spyglass, weirdly enough. I don't even hate the Golden Compass sequels, which is why I refer to it as The Golden Compass and not Northern Lights.

Also, I wish I knew that those Terra Ignota spoilers pertained to Seven Surrenders and not Too Like the Lightning before clicking them. I genuinely love the society portrayed in that series, minus Mycroft's creepy baggage and private activities, and I'm curious to find out if/how Ada Palmer will try to convince me that I'm dumb for thinking she made the most attractive and convincing utopia I've ever seen. (I'll read the other books soon.)

Solitair I bring you warnings as the ghost of someone reading a 1965 Hugo Award winner and hating every second of it.
The 1965 Hugo Award winner I'm talking about is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wanderer_(Leiber_novel)

30 pages in and I already don't give a gently caress about the hordes of people in it(18+ storylines threatened uh promised on the 2nd page) and their reactions to how The Wanderer will disaster movie style gently caress with the earth.

I give the book points for "hey the effects of gravity exist" which most classic scifi ignores outright but the dialogue & characters & plot reads like old-school Heinlein & EE 'Doc' Smith hero characters reacting to those wild unruly orgy prone hippies of the 1960s...and oh sweet literacy why do you bring me such pain?

Book thoughts:
This book dated faster then the half-life of fermium, and the edition I am reading is 346 pages long, which is 340 more pages than I wanted to read (that math is correct).
How did this book win the 1965 Hugo Award and The Planet Buyer lose? (The planet buyer is the 1st half of Cordwainer Smith's Norstrilia saga).

Feel free to quote the above line & verse for your proposed Hugo Award readthrough book project, just make sure to quote my username correctly.
Example:

Thanks. No guarantee I'll remember to reference and quote you, but I'll try. I'm not expecting to love every book I'm covering (one of L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth books got on a ballot for gently caress's sake), but I value the opportunity to rant about bad books and contrast them with good books.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I continue to be utterly gobsmacked by the idea that anyone (Dr. Palmer included) can consider the world of Terra Ignotia as other than a stark and horrifying dystopia.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Thranguy posted:

I continue to be utterly gobsmacked by the idea that anyone (Dr. Palmer included) can consider the world of Terra Ignotia as other than a stark and horrifying dystopia.

I'm only a quarter into the first book so maybe there are revelations I haven't hit (don't spoil me!) but it seems like they've got cheap safe mass transit, no environmental issues, no more sectarian/ideological conflict, and I think an effective end to poverty? That's a decent start.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So before Christmas I bought myself a Kindle PW, because I do things like that, and it sparked in me a desire to read a lot more than I had in recent years. I'm up to 8 books this month (counting an audiobook) and very happy with my decision, even though I think only 2 of them have been actual Kindle books. Having a wife that works at a library means you can place holds on books and have them delivered to you. :cool:

Anyway, I'm about 4/5ths of the way done with Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon, which I started in advance of the Netflix series. It's always been on my radar but I'd never read it before, and I wanted to before the show comes out. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I didn't plan it but I read Maltese Falcon two books prior to Altered Carbon, and the links between them (in terms of genre conventions) has made it even better.

For those that have read the other two Takeshi Kovacs books - are they pretty consistently good? What about Morgan's other books? I don't hear him mentioned very often apart from Altered Carbon - were his other ones not as popular?

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 25, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyway, I'm about 4/5ths of the way done with Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon, which I started in advance of the Netflix series. It's always been on my radar but I'd never read it before, and I wanted to before the show comes out. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I didn't plan it but I read Maltese Falcon two books prior to Altered Carbon, and the links between them (in terms of genre conventions) has made it even better.

For those that have read the other two Takeshi Kovacs books - are they pretty consistently good? What about Morgan's other books? I don't hear him mentioned very often apart from Altered Carbon - were his other ones not as popular?

Altered Carbon is basically like the rest of his books ie a mix of Mickey Spillane meets sci fi/fantasy.
I would say they are all consistently good and well worth reading.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

General Battuta posted:

I'm only a quarter into the first book so maybe there are revelations I haven't hit (don't spoil me!) but it seems like they've got cheap safe mass transit, no environmental issues, no more sectarian/ideological conflict, and I think an effective end to poverty? That's a decent start.

I jumped the gun with my embarrassing post. What I didn't mention earlier is that Too Like the Lightning only starts with a novel, optimistic view of the future. You'll see the downsides to it in due time, and I'll see if the plot decides whether the tradeoffs are worth it.

In chat Thranguy also brought up that freedom of religion and speech are pretty severely curtailed in the name of eliminating that sectarian conflict, which I completely forgot about. At several points that's made to sound reasonable from the characters' perspectives and the benefits you mention, but again, not something a lot of people in the real world are going to accept.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Solitair posted:

I had a very similar angry reaction to the ending of Animorphs, but not The Amber Spyglass, weirdly enough. I don't even hate the Golden Compass sequels, which is why I refer to it as The Golden Compass and not Northern Lights.

Also, I wish I knew that those Terra Ignota spoilers pertained to Seven Surrenders and not Too Like the Lightning before clicking them. I genuinely love the society portrayed in that series, minus Mycroft's creepy baggage and private activities, and I'm curious to find out if/how Ada Palmer will try to convince me that I'm dumb for thinking she made the most attractive and convincing utopia I've ever seen. (I'll read the other books soon.)

Ugh sorry, I thought it was clear from context :negative:

also i didn't realize the Censor was rather profoundly dystopian until she mentioned it on her blog

edit: this isn't a spoiler, there are literally censor labels on the first page of the book :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

too soon

edit: oh wait never mind I was thinking Charles Stross / Singularity Sky series

i still swear he has some timey-wimey outs on that one but he seems not to think so

makes me especially mad because he said the next one was probably going to be about interstellar insurance fraud and space trucking and insider trading and crates of USB sticks being valuable cargo and that's totally my jam :mad:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The second one is great, but don't go in expecting more space noir, it's a war/ancient alien artifact story. I believe the third switches genres in the same way too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

too soon

edit: oh wait never mind I was thinking Charles Stross / Singularity Sky series

What happened to the eschaton? Edit- wiki'd. :sad:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i still swear he has some timey-wimey outs on that one but he seems not to think so

makes me especially mad because he said the next one was probably going to be about interstellar insurance fraud and space trucking and insider trading and crates of USB sticks being valuable cargo and that's totally my jam :mad:

Charles Stross did write that book, and it's called "Neptune's Brood". Neptune's Brood was readable, not the best Stross writing in it, but not the worse Stross writing in it either.
The interstellar insurance fraud & insider trading reveal happens about 13/14 into the book, and was a total "um..what?" switchup from what the story
had been leading up to/what the main character had been telling you the reader throughout the book.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

So before Christmas I bought myself a Kindle PW, because I do things like that, and it sparked in me a desire to read a lot more than I had in recent years. I'm up to 8 books this month (counting an audiobook) and very happy with my decision, even though I think only 2 of them have been actual Kindle books. Having a wife that works at a library means you can place holds on books and have them delivered to you. :cool:

The second one is War/Ancient Aliens/something, the third one is Ancient Aliens/Revolution/Artifact recovery/Old war/Moby Dick. None of the sequels are near as good as AC.

13/Black Man is very good and self contained. Not read any of his other stuff.

As the Singularity Sky series, the Eschaton sent human communities back in time relative to their distance from Earth. Linearly. I think. But they could travel faster than light. So basically those that were sent 3,000 light years away were sent 3,000 years back, but could travel faster than light so could get back to Earth before the Eschaton became aware.

I think (I am probably wrong) that was the fatal flaw Stross made for himself. He could fix it with some rewriting but I guess he would rather make new stuff.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

13/Black Man is very good and self contained. Not read any of his other stuff.

I read 13 and it was largely entertaining but also completely rage-inducing in certain respects for me. Like it examines several layers of oppressive systems that exist even in the enlightened liberal technocracies but it does so by perpetuating some of the worst :biotruths: bullshit ever with its concept of the "natural alpha male superwarrior." The basic concept that today's youth are too dissipated and soft to fight a Real Man's War has been a whinge since at least the era of Socrates complaining about Plato's generation and it has simply never, ever been true. Terminal Lance has something to say about people complaining our modern soldiers are "soft" as well. I'm not generally one to flounce on about the military but I really hated the basic conceit that resulted in the 13s, the idea that our proud whitemodern civilizations just couldn't overcome the unruly slavering hordes of "Other." This is the backbone of a book that otherwise grasps a lot of issues of race fairly well, as well as veteran issues and crime and problems with the justice system and I found Morgan's writing fairly engaging as well--it's telling that I still care enough about the book to be this mad about it.

Oh, and Morgan also killed the female lead in the third act solely to motivate the male hero. Total fridge.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 26, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

occamsnailfile posted:

The basic concept that today's youth are to dissipated and soft to fight a Real Man's War has been a whinge since at least the era of Socrates complaining about Plato's generation and it has simply never, ever been true.

Is this a good time to mention that Starship Troopers is a terrible piece of poo poo? It's barely even competent as sci fi considering half of the book is boring masochistic boot camp poo poo with a sprinkling of mech suits at the end.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 26, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, if the first book is Tak as Sam Spade, the second is Tak as Indiana Jones and the third is Tak as Danny Ocean. It’s more complicated than that, but they definitely swap genres as easily as they swap bodies.

His fantasy series is really good (and possibly tied into the Kovacs books) but has a lot of awkward gay sex in there. It’s not the gay that’s weird, it’s the awkward bit, but I generally skim sex scenes so it didn’t really phase me much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone have any recommendations for stuff with a really out-there prose style? I’m thinking something like Riddley Walker where it’s basically written in its own cracked-out original dialect, or else like entirely in a super elevated diction like Eddison or something. I guess it doesn’t have to be genre book but the only example I can think of that isn’t is The Wake by Kingsnorth.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

skasion posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff with a really out-there prose style? I’m thinking something like Riddley Walker where it’s basically written in its own cracked-out original dialect, or else like entirely in a super elevated diction like Eddison or something. I guess it doesn’t have to be genre book but the only example I can think of that isn’t is The Wake by Kingsnorth.

A Clockwork Orange is a classic, you probably want to get a copy with a nadsat dictionary in the back though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

skasion posted:

Feersum Endjinn is what you want.