Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

ohgodwhat posted:

That behavior makes perfect sense if you watch GDAX's order book at all and look at their fee structure.

You are right, no one wants to be the Taker so sometimes movement stalls out, and people just sit and watch other market charts to try to figure out the next movement (the charting tools on GDAX suck). But what I've been seeing the past few days is much stranger than usual, it might be a spoofing attack which could be done without GDAX themselves being in on it. So Coinbase/GDAX is probably safe. They still sketch me out a bit though for some reason and I never leave money in there more than a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If you have any more concrete observations I'd be interested to hear them. This stuff is quite interesting to me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sold my 580 that i mined on for 2 months just now for $450. Net profit of $300

whoo bitcoins

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

sold my 580 that i mined on for 2 months just now for $450. Net profit of $300

whoo bitcoins

Hope it wasn't via paypal

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm going to maintain my position that PayPal FUD without any relevant horror stories is :rolleyes:

Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: All the wrong kinds of rampant speculation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I'm going to maintain my position that PayPal FUD without any relevant horror stories is :rolleyes:

Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: All the wrong kinds of rampant speculation

Is that just because you want entertainment or do you not believe that people are getting scammed over GPU purchases?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

QuarkJets posted:

Is that just because you want entertainment or do you not believe that people are getting scammed over GPU purchases?

There are scams, but the PayPal/EU consumer law thing is being vastly overstated in a thread where a lot of people sold GPUs successfully and nobody has been screwed over by that specific policy. Whereas, say, the 30-day eBay return policy actually has screwed sellers. It's understandable why people would assume with a cursory glance that it's the same thing but much longer, but eBay and PayPal have different policies and different qualifications and nobody has actually presented anything but FUD.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Anyone interested in a zotac 1070 mini before I ebay it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Protip - sell it locally, If the bubble pops you risk a paypal dispute if selling to miners on ebay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh Christ, Robinhood just send me an email rafting they're rolling out Robinhood Cryptocurrency to allow people to "invest" in bitcoin. I feel like that's the opposite of what Robin Hood would do.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

QuarkJets posted:

Do we actually have any stories of people filing to return cards at day 179 or whatever? I know there's anguish about people "discovering" damage to cards within the normal 30 day period, but so far I've struggled to find cases like what some people here are worried about.

That said, in most areas you can probably sell cards on CraigsList or other local venues for at least as much as eBay, save yourself 10% in fees, and eliminate any possible worry of returns. There's really no reason not to throw it up on CL and see what sort of interest you get.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I mined my first $20 amazon gift card on my RX470.

Just to be clear, the only reason I can trade fake internet coins for real money is because some poor soul is buying those fake internet coins using a loan against their 401k?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Naffer posted:

I mined my first $20 amazon gift card on my RX470.

Just to be clear, the only reason I can trade fake internet coins for real money is because some poor soul is buying those fake internet coins using a loan against their 401k?

One guy took a $125k shark loan for bitconnect and went missing after it crashed

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Naffer posted:

You can just think of them as the physical manifestation of concentrated dumb pubbie tears.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

One guy took a $125k shark loan for bitconnect and went missing after it crashed

link source?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Holyshoot posted:

link source?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7rg45m/texas_invested_my_company_money_in_ponzi_and_lost/

https://twitter.com/TexasRelaysShow/status/954887508655034368

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you PMs let me know what you’re looking for it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

My company throw car show in Austin, TX in March n I invest our funds all of it so we can have more money for the event. It all gone now thanks to satish. I need to sell him my bcc back for dollars n I heard he was buying back for less money. How can I sell it for money to get some my company's funds back?
I think maybe the bigger fool here was whoever let this guy control the funds for a legitimate business like *checks* ... the Donk Contest.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

A friend of mine borrowed $15k (USD) and bought when Bitcoin was at $17k AMA (against mate advice).

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 11, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

A friend of mine borrowed $15k and bought when Bitcoin was at $17k AMA (against mate advice).

What’s the problem? All he’s got to do is hold until 2019? you gotta think LONG TERM with bitcoin and be smart

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

A friend of mine borrowed $15k and bought when Bitcoin was at $17k AMA (against mate advice).

Did he borrow from a bank or some guy named Dino?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I just switched to an all solar power plan through reliant because I felt bad what my gpu was doing to the environment and was compelled to do something about it it also happens to be unlimited electricity for $150 a month. Mining laptops here I come!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

1gnoirents posted:

I just switched to an all solar power plan through reliant because I felt bad what my gpu was doing to the environment and was compelled to do something about it it also happens to be unlimited electricity for $150 a month. Mining laptops here I come!!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, I thought my power was expensive. Even with 21 cents per kwh in the hottest months of summer it was costing me like 110 dollars. I installed a 10KW solar farm and now I get paid like 100 dollars a month.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If you have a sizable house and older appliances it's real easy to get silly electric bills. When I was living in a 2600sqft house in SoCal my electric bill in the summer was easily $250/mo, and that was without any mining or crazy computer use.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gees, sometimes I wondered if buying high efficiency appliances was worth it, guess it was. Paid extra for a refrigerator, air conditioning, oven, microwave, early adopted LED bulbs, basically anything that could have a power saving version of I bought, figuring even if it never paid off at least there was a lower environmental impact. Anytime I had to replace something energy efficiency was my number 1 goal.

Almost related thing: My very first generation LED bulbs failed because of cold solder joints. The same as was killing old videocards. After a couple failed I cracked one open and all of the little LED chips fell off from the lightest brush, the solder had failed on all of them.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 26, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Modern LED bulbs are pretty legit. CCFLs, though, are usually a rip off and will rarely pay for themselves. The biggest offenders for wasted energy are air conditioners, electric stoves, and electric water heaters. If you've got inefficient ones of those, you're gonna notice pretty quick on your electric bill.

That said, spending an extra $500 to save $10/mo in electric takes a while to pay itself back, but it'll get there eventually.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

1gnoirents posted:

Stop it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FYI with water heaters you can wrap pretty much any of them with extra insulation and have equivalent performance of a new "high efficiency" unit. Biggest issue is people don't flush them regularly so they build up with sediment and that makes for bad heat transfer and possibly the heating elements burning out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

I have a hard time believing these plans change anything. I think they just offer them to make you feel charitable and probably have a ton of legal asterisks so they don't actually have to generate poo poo from solar. If you really feel bad you should :getin: and install panels at your house before Trump ruins China's export pricing as he's planning.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone mining BURST? I like that it's mined using storage and not massive amounts of electricity. I'm just curious how much plot storage people are using and their returns if any.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

Modern LED bulbs are pretty legit. CCFLs, though, are usually a rip off and will rarely pay for themselves. The biggest offenders for wasted energy are air conditioners, electric stoves, and electric water heaters. If you've got inefficient ones of those, you're gonna notice pretty quick on your electric bill.

That said, spending an extra $500 to save $10/mo in electric takes a while to pay itself back, but it'll get there eventually.

LEDs are already cheaper and superior in every way than CFLs that the latter has zero reason to exist. My bathroom have the $1 IKEA 5W LED bulb while my rooms are 24W ceiling plate types at $2 each shipped direct from China since 2014. All of them are so much more reliable than the CFL tubes they replaced and doesn't make an annoying humming noise.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Palladium posted:

LEDs are already cheaper and superior in every way than CFLs that the latter has zero reason to exist. My bathroom have the $1 IKEA 5W LED bulb while my rooms are 24W ceiling plate types at $2 each shipped direct from China since 2014. All of them are so much more reliable than the CFL tubes they replaced and doesn't make an annoying humming noise.

That's true for the lower wattage (60W equivalent) LEDs, but the 100W equivalent LEDs are pretty expensive compared to the CFLs.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Naffer posted:

That's true for the lower wattage (60W equivalent) LEDs, but the 100W equivalent LEDs are pretty expensive compared to the CFLs.

https://mattgadient.com/2016/12/06/color-me-impressed-looking-at-the-150w-smart-ic-led-cob-110v-ac/

Direct AC driven 150W for 12 bux. Not sure how much the equivalent wattage CFL costs though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Palladium posted:

LEDs are already cheaper and superior in every way than CFLs that the latter has zero reason to exist.

hm - how are they for spectrum these days? I remember when "daylight" LED bulbs were actually red, green and blue LEDs packaged together, so the light looked approximately white to the eye but didn't wokr quite like white.

(we have "daylight" LED spotlights in the kitchen and the colour doesn't seem weird, fwiw. Incredibly bright daylight CFLs through the rest of the house. I highly recommend them for making everything just nicer and better.)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
As of like 2 years ago I threw away every other perfectly working bulb because high wattage LEDs are getting cheap enough that waiting for failures didn't make sense anymore. I also used to use 100 watt bulbs all over my house and I'm pretty sensitive to CRI and color temperature. You still can get bad ones, my room mate got some that made the house look like a hospital, but from a name brand (I have Cree, GE and Phillips) I can't tell the difference. If you have a weird fixture that uses weird bulb types it's probably worth it to get a generic one that lets you use standard LED bulbs that cost a few dollars.

LED bulbs are very good and cheap now, and no one should be running anything else. Since you already have CFLs I'd get LED replacements as the CFLs fail since they are already using less than half as much power as incandescents. It's like 30 watts for a CFL and like 20 for a LED.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone mining BURST? I like that it's mined using storage and not massive amounts of electricity. I'm just curious how much plot storage people are using and their returns if any.

I have 29TB mining and have earned 431 burst since I got it all up and running on the 19th

That's about $2.77 a day at current prices.

Since you get get 8 tb (which is really 7.25 tb when you plug it in) for about $150 that means there's about a 216 day ROI excluding electricity costs.

https://explore.burst.cryptoguru.org/account/5901356314587571524

I'm using this pool
https://0-100-pool.burst.cryptoguru.org/

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

I have a hard time believing these plans change anything. I think they just offer them to make you feel charitable and probably have a ton of legal asterisks so they don't actually have to generate poo poo from solar. If you really feel bad you should :getin: and install panels at your house before Trump ruins China's export pricing as he's planning.

I dont feel bad lol. Though I do believe the solar thing, its a big deal in texarse. Im pretty sure they use the most solar in the country and the utility bill states what percentage of your power comes from whichever source even if you dont explicitly choose anything. I was more focused on the other feature of this plan though :angel:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have 29TB mining and have earned 431 burst since I got it all up and running on the 19th

That's about $2.77 a day at current prices.

Since you get get 8 tb (which is really 7.25 tb when you plug it in) for about $150 that means there's about a 216 day ROI excluding electricity costs.

https://explore.burst.cryptoguru.org/account/5901356314587571524

I'm using this pool
https://0-100-pool.burst.cryptoguru.org/

How many hard drives is that? Don’t they spend a lot of electricity too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Relative to a videocard they're free. They use like 10 watts each. I'd get 8TB drives so that's 4 of them. You're opening yourself up to storing all manner of illegal materials. Bitcoins might be used for crimes, the use case for storage coins is crimes.

• Locked thread