Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

and the viewer should have felt grateful that the Baron was on the other side of the screen and not real.
Great, now I'm going to have a nightmare about him breaking the forth wall like Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. "Did you think I'd forgotten you?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDi7cRFcnnY&t=14s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are there any good audio book versions if the trilogy and god emperor? I'm a dune virgin and I want those worms inside me. Through my ears

Don't put the book through a layer of someone else's interpretation; just read the fucker. I know a lot of goons have a weird aversion to actually reading a book but Dune is a weird and complex book with lots of internal monologue (and internal dialogue), quotes from fictional texts, etc. that I think you'd be best served getting a for real paper book.

ovenboy posted:

Which version of the Lynch movie should I watch?

Theatrical cut.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
gently caress that watch that super long 3 hour ultimate cut that has everything in it.

The more Dune the better.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are there any good audio book versions if the trilogy and god emperor? I'm a dune virgin and I want those worms inside me. Through my ears

The audible one is nice. It starts off as almost a radio play with a bunch of different actors but it seems like they really quickly run out of money and just ends up being one guy. I enjoyed it though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Damo posted:

The more Dune the better.

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find Brian Herbert there, staring out at you!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Arrhythmia posted:

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find Brian Herbert there, staring out at you!

SILENCE!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune audiobooks: the audible version of the first book is excellent and has six or so voice actors who all do a stellar job.

All subsequent books are 1 or 2 person jobs and leave a bit to be desired.

Dune is like a radio play though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ovenboy posted:

Which version of the Lynch movie should I watch?

Just do the regular version first and then if you really need to see more footage you can go track down the extended version.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

he who can poo poo unrelentingly on intellectual property, controls the intellectual property

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just do the regular version first and then if you really need to see more footage you can go track down the extended version.

This is a good answer.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LONG LIVE DUKE LETO!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You have to play the Baliset to be a Chad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

he who can poo poo unrelentingly on intellectual property, controls the intellectual property

Write without skill and you will not upset the fan

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Thank you!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

https://archive.org/details/Dune08

Here you are skip. It's good, the actors do a good job, although be prepared for them to disappear and leave it to the narrator every so often.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Interesting about Scytale, in Muad'dib's time, he was a facedancer. However, when we see him in the later books, he's a mashiekh in the highest circle. At this time, a master and a facedancer are biologically different organisms.

Also, it's strange they never considered what would happen when a new facedancer imprinted a full reverend mother

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
the thread must flow

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Finally getting to my boy Leto II listening to the audiobooks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Started Dune, it's very good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Started Dune, it's very good.

Just wait until it really starts about a third of the way in.

I find that it ramps up significantly with Paul and Jessica in the desert encounter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

phasmid posted:

SILENCE!

Don't think, just post!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Finished the book, reading the appendixes.

The ending was really abrupt. Minor complaint compared to the book as a whole.

I've seen bits of the movie but never watched it all the way through. Fairly recently I caught it on and watched about 5 minutes. There was some terrible, terrible CGI or green screen work with Paul and Freemen riding a worm and shooting pistols saying killing words or something, which by the way I don't recall being in the book -at all-. I still want to watch the whole thing sometime.

Also, :ughh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sten Freak posted:

Finished the book, reading the appendixes.

The ending was really abrupt. Minor complaint compared to the book as a whole.

I've seen bits of the movie but never watched it all the way through. Fairly recently I caught it on and watched about 5 minutes. There was some terrible, terrible CGI or green screen work with Paul and Freemen riding a worm and shooting pistols saying killing words or something, which by the way I don't recall being in the book -at all-. I still want to watch the whole thing sometime.

Also, :ughh:

Yeah David Lynch's Dune turned the Weirding Way into Weirding Modules because they thought that it would look too much like a kung fu movie if they kept it as a martial art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Weirding Way is basically DBZ teleport fighting

*zwee* *zwee* PUNCH *zwee*

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Weirding Way is basically DBZ teleport fighting

*zwee* *zwee* PUNCH *zwee*

If you think of it, Paul is basically Goku. First to get a special power that proliferates among other main characters, teleport fighting, not a great dad...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
BORN TO RULE
ARRAKIS IS A gently caress
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen
410,757,864,530 DEAD HARKONEN

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen

Beautiful

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Is there a decent graphic novel or even manga Dune out there or is Metabarons the closest I can get?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JohnnySavs posted:

Is there a decent graphic novel or even manga Dune out there or is Metabarons the closest I can get?

reported

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fremanime is the mind killer

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

JohnnySavs posted:

Is there a decent graphic novel or even manga

No.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Saturn sandworm scenes in the Beetlejuice cartoon sum it up pretty well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

The Saturn sandworm scenes in the Beetlejuice cartoon sum it up pretty well.

Lol I watched the poo poo out of that show as a kid and as a result when I read Dune for the first time that's pretty much exactly what I imagined them as

As an aside that was a great show despite having zero to do with the original movie beyond the names of the 2 main characters

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Just wait until it really starts about a third of the way in.

I find that it ramps up significantly with Paul and Jessica in the desert encounter

I think in today's landscape regarding fantasy books, Dune would have been split up into three books to maximize profits and readership.

e:

JohnnySavs posted:

I like Prophet, and its similar on how hosed things can get in 10000 years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

I think in today's landscape regarding fantasy books, Dune would have been split up into three books to maximize profits and readership.

I agree andi think it should be split into 3 movies but that would not be commercially viable so it will be crammed into one. Same cause, opposite result.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

Kinda like the godawful House prequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Villeneuve's Dune is gonna be two movies:

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/8e6f04f6-baab-4d60-9a9f-949ec58775d9%7C_0.html

In French but

quote:

Now taking a step back, Denis Villeneuve is currently working on setting up Dune .

"I take one project at a time," he concluded. Dune will take me two years of my life. As the project is to make two films, he may take four!"