Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bitprophet posted:

Put me down in the "sure, it was the weakest book, but that's kinda relative and it was still a lot of fun to read & fleshed out the universe in interesting ways" camp. For example, I wouldn't recommend any new readers skip it, it's absolutely not that bad. As long as someone goes in knowing that it's a bit of a tonal departure, I don't see why they'd be crazy disappointed.

I’ll echo that. I like this series for all the space stuff, so having the action confined to a planet wasn’t my favorite thing but it’s not a skip-worthy book or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think the thing about book four is that everyone was expecting a very different story given where the third book left off, so it feels very out of place. That said, it's absolutely worth reading, especially given that book six pulls on quite a few of the threads from it. While it's a bit slow to start, there's a lot of important world-building and plot in the back half, and while the climax isn't as system shaking as the other books, it's a good ride. I also enjoyed Havelock's B-plot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Agreed to the last few posters. It's relatively self-contained but still enjoyable enough. It's just not the same grand scale conflicts presented in the rest of the series (mostly 1, 2, 5, and 6).

It does have the worst of all POV characters in the series, though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Skim it at most, skip it if willing. It somehow makes a safari on a mysterious alien planet into a joyless slog.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
CB feels like AG in places.

What I mean is, I think when writing AG they got extended into four books. Then, writing CB, they got extended to six and then nine. It felt like stories that were heading towards an end but then they twist into a continuation. For example, I thought Amos (CB spoilers) was absolutely going to die in that shootout towards the end. Then he doesn't. There were a few other moments like that.

I feel Books 5 and onwards have benefited from knowing they have four books in total to tell the rest of the story.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Edit: Ignore this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pander posted:

Agreed to the last few posters. It's relatively self-contained but still enjoyable enough. It's just not the same grand scale conflicts presented in the rest of the series (mostly 1, 2, 5, and 6).

It does have the worst of all POV characters in the series, though.

Havelock right? Because the lady scientist was a little dull but Havelock made me want to slam my head off the loving desk as I was reading.

He's so dense and boring. He basically takes the entire book to realise he's working for a loving caricature.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

PriorMarcus posted:

Havelock right? Because the lady scientist was a little dull but Havelock made me want to slam my head off the loving desk as I was reading.

He's so dense and boring. He basically takes the entire book to realise he's working for a loving caricature.

Nah, scientist lady.

"Oh I'm normally so smart but gosh I get so discombobulated and tingly thinking about James Holden" for 3/4 of a book before the curative powers of a man's penis fix her.

It'd be fine comic relief if it weren't so incredibly bad.

Havelock at least feels like a normal dude trying to do his poo poo and not have weird poo poo happen to him. Laughs at scientists who suck at being soldiers. I mean I get his stuff is a little boring, but it fits in with the book way better than she did.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m almost done with Caliban’s War and I’m wondering whether it’s worth continuing the series. There’s a lack of character conflict and it’s draining my enthusiasm. LW has Holden and Miller as interesting opposites, but everything is so jovial in CW. It was going in a good direction when Holden was “becoming” Miller and lost his poo poo in the lab, but that seems to have wrapped up with no consequences beyond him falling out with Fred. There’s no other drama beyond the overarching political battle. Is this book a bump in the road or is the series not for me?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

snoremac posted:

I’m almost done with Caliban’s War and I’m wondering whether it’s worth continuing the series. There’s a lack of character conflict and it’s draining my enthusiasm. LW has Holden and Miller as interesting opposites, but everything is so jovial in CW. It was going in a good direction when Holden was “becoming” Miller and lost his poo poo in the lab, but that seems to have wrapped up with no consequences beyond him falling out with Fred. There’s no other drama beyond the overarching political battle. Is this book a bump in the road or is the series not for me?

It's a page-turning space opera action-thriller with a few twists here and there and a reasonably fun stable of characters.

The first two books in the series are generally considered the best, with good pacing throughout and a coherent, building story. The following novels share a similar through line, though with different motifs and pacing. If you don't like the second book it's not a good sign that you'd enjoy the rest any more, since the first was kinda unique as an action-noire.

But that's not a guarantee since the story does expand (hurt hur hur) a bit and the varying tastes in the thread past book two make it more of a crapshoot. If you like the characters, the setting, and the style of writing, and it's really only the plot that bummed you out, I'd say stick with it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, I barely remember CW. People are mixed on the third book (it was poorly received at the time, although I've heard quite a few people saying they loved it on the re-read); if nothing else, it's very different to 2. I'd give it a shot if I were you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

snoremac posted:

The characters finally get personalities and conflicts in book five. Three is bad, four you can just read a summary because it’s worse than bad and nothing important happens that won’t fit into a sentence of recap. Five is legitimately decent.

e: five not give

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2018

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

General Battuta posted:

four you can just read a summary because it’s worse than bad

Obligatory deployment of anti-goon-hyperbole countermeasures: book four is worth reading if you enjoy the alien side of the setting's worldbuilding and can handle some less than stellar viewpoint characters. It's still written by the Corey duo, even if it is not their best work.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Book 4 was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. More memorable than book 2 tbh

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's particularly bad because it highlights how deadly dull the Expanse's vision of alien worlds turned out to be. How do you make a planet riddled with dead alien technology so boring? Peter Watts or CJ Cherryh they are not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's not the best in the series, but it's still better than most sci-fi (if you include all of it, including the very bad; it's certainly worse than very good sci fi). If you start reading it and you get bored, then sure, put it down and read a summary and move on to the next one but don't skip it wholesale just because internet strangers said it was bad, it's worth forming your own opinion on.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

SyFy website says The Expanse returns 4/11.

Just finished PR last night.

I spend all day in front of screens and actually enjoy that books gets me away from them. gently caress these guys with their E-only novellas making me have to read a screen.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Eiba posted:

I can understand someone feeling the bullshit death battleship defeating the combined fleet of all humanity is something outside the frame of what they're interested in. I'm almost there myself. Like, maybe that's not what you signed up for when you started the Expanse and that's a fine thing to be disappointed by.

To call it implausible when we've had magic bullshit alien tech centrally driving the story since the third book is kinda silly.

Magic bullshit aliens have been breaking physics for a while now. They're literally gods. That's part of this setting. Perhaps that's dumb, but it means the bullshit death battleship is 100% plausible.

Because please for the love of god bullshit plausibility arguments are so boring. Call it dumb and unsatisfying and get over it.

Edit: Wow, this was a terribly whiny post to start a page with. Sorry about that.

Yes and no. I expect all sci-fi to come with some hand waving deus ex machina; however, I expect that hand waving to result in something where I can say, “hey, if alien death rays work like they are explained, then yes it will rip that guy apart molecule by molecule.”

Instead I feel like we are getting, “the alien death ray kills by ripping things apart molecule by molecule. Bod was hit by the death ray, which resulted in the instantaneous death of him as he was ripped apart molecule by molecule, and then of course his parents, sister, and best friend too back on earth... BECAUSE.”

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes and no. I expect all sci-fi to come with some hand waving deus ex machina; however, I expect that hand waving to result in something where I can say, “hey, if alien death rays work like they are explained, then yes it will rip that guy apart molecule by molecule.”

Instead I feel like we are getting, “the alien death ray kills by ripping things apart molecule by molecule. Bod was hit by the death ray, which resulted in the instantaneous death of him as he was ripped apart molecule by molecule, and then of course his parents, sister, and best friend too back on earth... BECAUSE.”
Are you talking about the even more alien "stowaway" thing and the mysterious consciousness effect that's clearly a plot point to be resolved in a later book? Because the ship itself just took no damage and killed everything. That's hardly a supernatural extrapolation from regenerating hull and alien tech weapons. It's not even unexpected, to be honest.

I'll re-emphasize though: if you want to call it a dumb development, I've got no issue and can see where you're coming from. That four month old post was inspired by a pedantic need to clarify the difference between "dumb" and "implausible".

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I dug the latest book quite a lot, and the time skip didn't bother me and seemed essential to the story they wanted to tell. If the TV show makes it this far, and I do hope that it somehow does, then it's not too hard to fiddle with the exact amount of time that has passed somewhat, or to just use makeup to add years to the characters. If you play up the anti-aging drug aspect then you barely even need to sprinkle in makeup at all, and with the tech seen in the show that's a perfectly fine handwave to me.

I liked the Laconian perspective more than I probably should have. You certainly see their immoral and harsh practices and cult of personality at work, but you also got the sense that it actually wouldn't be all that bad to be under their rule if you were just willing to play ball, which seems like a tricky balancing act that I thought the writers handled well. Kind of a nice take on the colonizer viewpoint of "I'm trying to bring my glorious vision and technology to these primitives, why do they keep trying to kill me?" that you rarely see in science fiction, especially when only humans are involved. Laconia is still the bad guy and when push comes to shove they drop their high morals and line up people against the proverbial wall to be shot, but with how idyllic their planet was (PM sacrifices aside) made out to be and Duarte's characterization I got some real Roman empire vibes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I liked the Laconian perspective more than I probably should have. You certainly see their immoral and harsh practices and cult of personality at work, but you also got the sense that it actually wouldn't be all that bad to be under their rule if you were just willing to play ball, which seems like a tricky balancing act that I thought the writers handled well.

I’m almost with you, but I think the grey area kind of turns straight up dark once you factor in the part where if you step out of line, you get sent to the pens for horrific protomolecule mutation, that’s just straight up villainous.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I am pretty lukewarm on the latest book. I think a smaller, more personal story about the crew as a send-off would have been better. I think the Laconian stuff is different enough that it deserves a new arc with new characters taking the lead. I think a longer, maybe 50 or 60 year time jump with the Laconians coming through the gates fully hybridised would have been better, with only one or two characters from previous books returning in a supporting role.

Having Holden and the gang facing down another universal catastrophe just gives me apocalypse fatigue.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Holden and Duarte are going to 7,000 year old sandworms in the next book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope so

General Battuta posted:

Next book is 4000 years later and Duarte keeps cloning Holden.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

NowonSA posted:

I dug the latest book quite a lot, and the time skip didn't bother me and seemed essential to the story they wanted to tell. If the TV show makes it this far, and I do hope that it somehow does ...

I've seen this a couple times in the thread and I'm having a hard time understanding how we get there. Given the show's current pacing of roughly 3/4th a book/season that's the start of season 9. I suppose they could change the pacing, but it's hard to see things lasting that long. TV audiences are fickle.

I think we make it to AG, which will be interesting on TV since so much of that is a real meat grinder on a Behemoth scale. But then we go planet-side for a season +. Remember how BSG went to poo poo when they went down to that planet...

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I liked the 3rd book :( The 4th I think I mostly disliked because of the narrator of the audio book.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Marijuana posted:

Holden and Duarte are going to 7,000 year old sandworms in the next book.

Walk without coffee.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

drewhead posted:

I've seen this a couple times in the thread and I'm having a hard time understanding how we get there. Given the show's current pacing of roughly 3/4th a book/season that's the start of season 9. I suppose they could change the pacing, but it's hard to see things lasting that long. TV audiences are fickle.

I think we make it to AG, which will be interesting on TV since so much of that is a real meat grinder on a Behemoth scale. But then we go planet-side for a season +. Remember how BSG went to poo poo when they went down to that planet...

The plot in Nemesis Games/Babylon's Ashes is a pretty easy out to end the series on if it has begun to fade in popularity and they could condense the contents of Cibola Burn or omit them entirely if they need to. After that if there's a sudden resurgence in popularity, netflix buyout, or "remake"/refunding of the series they could go and film the final trilogy. The authors have stated they didn't write the books with the tv series in mind but it really appears otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

acumen posted:

The plot in Nemesis Games/Babylon's Ashes is a pretty easy out to end the series on if it has begun to fade in popularity and they could condense the contents of Cibola Burn or omit them entirely if they need to. After that if there's a sudden resurgence in popularity, netflix buyout, or "remake"/refunding of the series they could go and film the final trilogy. The authors have stated they didn't write the books with the tv series in mind but it really appears otherwise.

They've just been really good at adapting. They built the books with the setting in mind first, and things flow naturally from there. It was meant to be an RPG setting at the beginning IIRC.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ClassH posted:

I liked the 3rd book :( The 4th I think I mostly disliked because of the narrator of the audio book.

I'll admit that the lovely narrator made me feel a lot less charitable toward the writing. The good news is that they've rereleased the audiobook with the usual guy narrating, and anyone who bought the old version on Audible should have the new one now.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

NowonSA posted:

I dug the latest book quite a lot, and the time skip didn't bother me and seemed essential to the story they wanted to tell. If the TV show makes it this far, and I do hope that it somehow does, then it's not too hard to fiddle with the exact amount of time that has passed somewhat, or to just use makeup to add years to the characters. If you play up the anti-aging drug aspect then you barely even need to sprinkle in makeup at all, and with the tech seen in the show that's a perfectly fine handwave to me.

I feel the same. Just make it a ten year time skip, wave your hands, and problem solved.

quote:

I liked the Laconian perspective more than I probably should have. You certainly see their immoral and harsh practices and cult of personality at work, but you also got the sense that it actually wouldn't be all that bad to be under their rule if you were just willing to play ball, which seems like a tricky balancing act that I thought the writers handled well. Kind of a nice take on the colonizer viewpoint of "I'm trying to bring my glorious vision and technology to these primitives, why do they keep trying to kill me?" that you rarely see in science fiction, especially when only humans are involved. Laconia is still the bad guy and when push comes to shove they drop their high morals and line up people against the proverbial wall to be shot, but with how idyllic their planet was (PM sacrifices aside) made out to be and Duarte's characterization I got some real Roman empire vibes.

Duarte didn't seem much worse than Avasarala honestly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

But for the eternal god-king bit.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Duerte is responsible for the rocks falling on Earth in case people forgot, Marco was his distraction for his coup to become god-king off the backs of horrifying human experimentation.

Avasarala has done a lot of terrible things but it's not even close to the same ballpark.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

But for the eternal god-king bit.

Wait a minute. Hear me out.

Eternal god-queen Avasarala?

The technology exists.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eiba posted:

Wait a minute. Hear me out.

Eternal god-queen Avasarala?

The technology exists.

She hasn't died yet, just sayin

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure that Duerte's 'immortality' is gonna have some problematic side effects beyond what we've seen so far.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ATP_Power posted:

I'm pretty sure that Duerte's 'immortality' is gonna have some problematic side effects beyond what we've seen so far.

Reading people's thoughts ruins a lot of the best board games/party games. You can only play things where you roll or spin and then move down a track like Candyland.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

drewhead posted:

SyFy website says The Expanse returns 4/11.

Just finished PR last night.

I spend all day in front of screens and actually enjoy that books gets me away from them. gently caress these guys with their E-only novellas making me have to read a screen.

Printed books....? Are they antiques?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A baby swipes ineffectually across a magazine before throwing it away in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So today at work I recommended this book to a mother buying SF novels for her fourteen year old son. She said he'd tried to read Dune but couldn't get into it, but I figured if the kid could hanlde reading Frank Herbert then Leviathan Wakes isn't too explicit with its sexuality or violence, right? I mean, it's there and there's the exploding vomit zombies, but it's not really gratuitous in the way someone like George R.R. Martin writes. I'm just hoping I made a decent call and I'm not going to get some moral guardian mother pouncing on me because I suggested a book to her teenager where two adults have sex.