Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ughhhh posted:

All this shogun talk has given me a hankering to play some FOTS. Whats some recommended mods to play with these days?

i like to expand the vanilla campaign rather than just throwing on darthmod or radious. it's good for both the shogun 2 and FOTS campaigns so just enable all of them. here's my list:

FOTS unit pack (vanilla) by evilspleen1213 v1.0
FOTS tactics and uniforms
FOTS artillery unit pack T1 - full version
FOTS naval uniforms
real armies
extended camera minimod
FOTS building a nation - a building pack
better maps 0.45 - part 1
better maps 0.45 - part 2
better maps 0.45 - part 3
recruitable generals
add occupation resistance to AI factions
vastator unit style 1.3
new bayonet mod
saya and ebira (sheath and quiver)
S2TW naval mod v.1 - overhaul, tweaks, and unit pack
S2TW artillery unit pack
daymio model multipack (finel v4 uesugi european armour)
bullgod's portugese tercio reskin and variety pack (only available from TWcentre)

ExParrot fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I feel like I should try to get back into Shogun 2 because Shalcar's (sadly dead) LP was what got me to join the forums, but I can't tear myself away from TWW2 :( (when I'm not playing MMOs).

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I feel like I should try to get back into Shogun 2 because Shalcar's (sadly dead) LP was what got me to join the forums, but I can't tear myself away from TWW2 :( (when I'm not playing MMOs).

I haven't picked it yet, how does it play compared to TWW? I've enjoyed dorfs and vamps the best.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man I wish there was a move stack cheat with console commands, made the mistake of allying with Satsuma and forgot the AI can barely understand fording the shallow sea parts.

Yet annoyingly it sends one stack or all the agents across piece meal. I loving hate this games campaign AI.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

alex314 posted:

I haven't picked it yet, how does it play compared to TWW? I've enjoyed dorfs and vamps the best.

Which one are you referring to? TWW2 is more or less a stand alone expansion.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Third World Reggin posted:

Total warhammer had* the best rifle units of any total war game

There’s been some new wonkiness introduced where rifle units aim at the unit banner instead of the units themselves, causing tons of wasted shots. No clue when this will be addressed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

alex314 posted:

Best campaign going, plus Mortal Empires is fun as heck.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder if there'll be anyone insane enough to mod it to replace all the characters with these:

(this is a game that is essentially "romance of the three kingdoms, but all the male characters are replaced with cute girls")

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Stephen9001 posted:

I wonder if there'll be anyone insane enough to mod it to replace all the characters with these:

(this is a game that is essentially "romance of the three kingdoms, but all the male characters are replaced with cute girls")

I mean there are tons of Sengoku Rance mods for Shogun 2 :allbuttons:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Started up Rome 2 again to see what's up with the politics update. Is there any way to see which provinces/regions have been assigned to which political parties?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks. Money's tight now, but I'll pick TWW2 soon. And :skeltal: Tomb Kings :skeltal: when possible.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tomn posted:

Started up Rome 2 again to see what's up with the politics update. Is there any way to see which provinces/regions have been assigned to which political parties?

Hit tab to go to the strategic overview and there's an overlay there which colours them according to party. They've got some sort of algorithm that assigns them in broadly sensible chunks of territory, it's pretty good actually.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

When are we going to start seeing Thrones of Britannia gameplay?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mildly interesting modder news, they finally discovered how to port ships from Empire and Napoleon to Shogun 2. Which means in a decade or so we might have some more interesting mods.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

alex314 posted:

Thanks. Money's tight now, but I'll pick TWW2 soon. And :skeltal: Tomb Kings :skeltal: when possible.

Good choice TWW2 is one of the best total war games to date and the tomb kings have some interesting mechanics making them a nice change of pace to the other races.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dev blog about story events in Thrones of Britannia.

Trigger warning for Jack Lusted's outfit in the video at the end of it.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 31, 2018

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ZearothK posted:

[url=https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-narrative]Trigger warning for Jack Lusted's outfit in the video at the end of it.

i neeeeeeeeed that suit, not so hot about the cravat though

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Of course Jack Lusted dresses like a hipster dandy from eighty years ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ZearothK posted:

Dev blog about story events in Thrones of Britannia.

Trigger warning for Jack Lusted's outfit in the video at the end of it.

drat, I love the art theme. This series is always really bold about art choices and I always tend to love them, even if I may have been in the minority about the Rome II unit cards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Catsplosion posted:

Good choice TWW2 is one of the best total war games to date and the tomb kings have some interesting mechanics making them a nice change of pace to the other races.

I really hope the new race mechanics and different recruitment styles show up in future historical games, obviously with changes because no one can summon zombies or whatever. But make raising a roman or greek citizen army vs a punic merc army vs a gallic tribal army feel different. As it is, last time I played Carthage it was far better to just churn out my own troops + some regional units just like Rome would rather than try to rely on mercs.

Also, hoo boy, TWC has a thread called "Since when is deportation a type of "ethnic cleansing"?"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 31, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thrones of Britannia is coming out in April 19th. 25% of pre-orders are going to the War Child charity.

Also, we got system requirements, nothing surprising, but it's nice to see they updated the Attila version of the engine to use 64-bits. Should have a much better performance.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
Memory: 5 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB | AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB | Intel HD4000 @720p
Storage: 30 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @1080p
Storage: 30 GB available space

Oh, and the price is up on the Steam page. 40 U$.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 1, 2018

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
seems like there was a preview embargo too

PC gamer preview - https://www.pcgamer.com/thrones-of-britannia-makes-significant-changes-to-the-total-war-formula/

RPS preview - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/01/total-war-saga-thrones-of-britannia-preview/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Party Elite also got access to a preview copy, probably other Youtubbers too. He tends to be pretty through when going through a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEJQFXyW64

Yeah, the gates are open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ano1Eo9i3j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIA-nhk6Hdk

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/manyatruenerd/status/959088711852937216

Jon from MATN got it as well, his videos are always great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I hope the unit selection is good. Attila and Charlemagne felt kinda boring with their rosters, especially since it didn't feel like you got access to new units just armored versions of previous ones.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like the global recruitment only thing
I like the recruiting at lesser strength as your troops rally
I like the food supplies bit in enemy territory
I like that you are forced to use smaller units

I worry that you are not forced to use smaller units

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Reddit posted:

Highlights -

Leaders are not like Warhammer heroes. They can die pretty easily.

No religion mechanics. CA says "everyone was basically Christian at this point", which I take issue with but whatever.

Culture is important. Province culture is fixed and can't be changed. Affects unrest and what units can be recruited.

Gaelic unique mechanic is Legitimacy, gives bonuses for owning Gaelic-culture provinces and defending allies in Call to Arms.

Formable kingdoms are in (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Danelaw, England, etc), unlocked by completing quest chains.

Fame victory is a new way to win playing tall. Capture historically-significant settlements, win battles, etc.

War fervor is back.

Sieges are like Attila (can attack any part of the city), not single wall like Warhammer.

Minor settlements can't have walls or automatic garrisons. Have to manually leave armies there. They have only one building that can be upgraded but never swapped out (farm, abbey, mine, etc), but there are more minor settlements per province than past games.

Combat feels very similar to Attila. Short/bloody battles.

Faction, region, and map-wide events pop up frequently. A common one is off-map viking minor factions showing up to raid/settle. Event chains, "quest" events, and decision-based events kinda reminded me of Crusader Kings 2.

Long Victory will include an "endgame challenge" that they won't talk about but it's probably based on 1066.

Limited unit recruitment pool that replenishes over time and is based on your land ownership.

Focus on a small retinue of elite troops supported by low and mid-tier levies, instead of an entire elite army by endgame.

Newly recruited units must Muster - start at 25% manpower and ticks up over a few turns.

Units have food upkeep in addition to gold upkeep.

New Supply system - armies have a supply bar that ticks up when Raiding or in friendly territory, ticks down when not raiding in hostile or neutral territory. Supplies run out = you take attrition every turn.

Tech is unlocked by deeds. Tech for tier-2 swordsmen unlock by training 10 tier-1 swordsmen. One of the civic tech unlocks by owning a certain number of monasteries.

Can pay off viking minor factions to leave you alone.

Family trees, governors, character traits, followers, and Loyalty are in

Trade is automatic as long as you're not at war and have a valid path between capitals. NO MORE TRADE AGREEMENTS.

Agents removed. (Not joking)

CA re: Everyone was Christian posted:

Consider the situation at the starting date of 878 AD. Guthrum's converted to Christianity. Half of the Great Viking Army settled in Northumbria but there was still an Archbishop of York, and if legends are believed a Christian abbot had found the man who is their king at the start date. For the Vikings in Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland there is debate about when they converted, as there is no certainty there. But within a century a king of the Isles was buried at the monastery of Iona.

Viking conversion in this era is when, not if. 90% of the map is Christian and the other 10% is a question mark but we know become Christian soon enough. That's why it's not been made into a mechanic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Automatic trade?

No agents?

Is... is CA ok? Did someone round up and shoot the old guard?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Changes sound amazing! I hope further historicals keep them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No religion makes sense. If it isn't that everyone is Christian, it's that religion total war style is generally a non factor. Converting provinces wouldn't be an important part of the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This looks like all the parts of Attila I liked best, and early medieval brit isles is extremely my poo poo. Really hope they don't gently caress this one up

endgame Norman Invasion is also a great idea

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I don't care for the setting, but all these changes to campaign mechanics make it all sound exceptionally interesting.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://youtu.be/gLhexn6x8LI

MATN’s video

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

is it 64 bit

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it's running on the Attila engine except properly optimized this time?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it's running on the Attila engine except properly optimized this time?

It's running on the Attila engine except if the Attila engine was a different engine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

turn off the TV posted:

It's running on the Attila engine except if the Attila engine was a different engine.

It's still Warscape, just bumped up to 64-bit ever since Total Warhammer came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah all those campaign changes sound incredible. Agents, trade agreements, and religious conversion were never fun parts of the game, just boring spreadsheet style maintenance.