Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

I hope so but don't underestimate how easily the support of dummies could be won back with a 1% PST cut.

I don't think they are going to get the PST cut

Deficits
2013/14 - 522m
2014/15 - 452m
2015/16 - 1.011b (Pallister's first budget)
2016/17 - 911m
2017/18 - 840m (projected)

1% of PST brings in a projected 294m a year in revenues, I don't know how they can spin it if they manage to reduce the deficit 300m in 4 years then turn around and add 300m back to the deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If the NDP can’t come up with a campaign that appeals to rural working class poors they don’t deserve to win the election imo. Going full economic populist is the way to win voters over

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If they cut PST they will run a 6.8% deficit, making Ontario look good by comparison.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

In reality Pallister had two more budgets to go before the next election, 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. I don't think they will be able to put a PST cut in either budget because the deficit will end up in the same place where when they started and Pallister touted himself as the "Deficit Slayer". It really depends how much they save when they close all the rural hospitals next year. I think the most likely scenario is they put a PST budget cut bill on the table right before Legislature dissolves knowing they won't have enough time to pass it and promise the cut if they get another term.

I mean the 2nd way they can get away with the PST cut is continuing increase the Water Rental Fee, "Business Tax" and land tax they take out of Hydro which they quietly did in the last budget. Water rental and "Business tax" both went up 1% which was the main driver behind their deficit reduction.

EDIT: Conversely I think the NDP platform is going to land right where the rest of the provincial NDP parties are going.

- Re-open closed ER and put in capital improvements to increase efficiency
- Provincial Pharmacare
- $15 minimum wage
- Restoration of lost hydro jobs and reduction/freeze of rates

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 25, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

If the NDP can’t come up with a campaign that appeals to rural working class poors they don’t deserve to win the election imo. Going full economic populist is the way to win voters over

Yup.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyone who’s been in Barrie or Ottawa saw this coming. I’ve heard these stories for years. It’s the reason Patrick Brown quietly left Federal politics. :canada:

Sexual misconduct allegations against Patrick Brown won't deter Ontario PC goals, co-deputy leader says

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CBC posted:

Canada's competition regulator said Thursday it is suing Ticketmaster and its parent company, Live Nation, for allegedly misleading consumers on the prices for sports and other entertainment tickets.

The Competition Bureau said an investigation found that Ticketmaster's advertised prices are deceptive because consumers wind up paying additional fees that are added later in the purchasing process.

The bureau called the practice "drip pricing" and said it results in consumers paying higher prices than advertised. The regulator claimed that Ticketmaster's mandatory fees often inflate the price by more than 20 per cent, and, in some instances, by over 65 per cent.

The bureau said it has filed an application with the Competition Tribunal seeking an end to the alleged deceptive marketing practices and pay a financial penalty.

:getin:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

gently caress ticketmaster

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Franks Happy Place posted:

There was a gay Harper cabinet member who was famous for sexually harassing young campaign staffers while I was in Ottawa (so around 2009), but it wasn't Jason Kenney...
Baird is already out of politics.

I honestly think Kenney is saving his sexuality reveal for the provincial election. Nothing takes the heat off a bozo eruption than your leader saying 'actually, I'm gay so we can't be homophobic.'

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Franks Happy Place posted:

There was a gay Harper cabinet member who was famous for sexually harassing young campaign staffers while I was in Ottawa (so around 2009), but it wasn't Jason Kenney...

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Last night
https://twitter.com/JC4ever/status/956389891352309760

Now
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/956645048308916224

Purge them all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So for those keeping track, is both LPC mps from Calgary

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bunnyofdoom posted:

What are you suggesting, that Alberta is some sort of hive of scum and villainy?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Reince Penis posted:

What are you suggesting, that Alberta is some sort of hive of scum and villainy?

And how!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lol we're so hosed.

Goddamnit Kent you had one job, just loving sit there and don't be a giant loving embarrassment, and then bathe in the novelty of being an LPC MP from Alberta. Kick him out of caucus too, ASAP, lest the Liberal brand get any more tainted in this stupid city than it already is.

I mean, I saw Kent flirt with women from time to time, but there's a difference between flirting when you're out having a drink, and doing it in a goddamn elevator in your loving workplace. Time and place, motherfucker!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

How is it Kent didn't get purged after his comments to the thaliomide survivors?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WilliamAnderson posted:

How is it Kent didn't get purged after his comments to the thaliomide survivors?

Because he apologized for what he did say, and I don't believe he actually said the things he said he didn't say, which were the particularly offensive remarks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Lol we're so hosed.

Goddamnit Kent you had one job, just loving sit there and don't be a giant loving embarrassment, and then bathe in the novelty of being an LPC MP from Alberta. Kick him out of caucus too, ASAP, lest the Liberal brand get any more tainted in this stupid city than it already is.

Seems like it would make him more, not less, electable in Alberta.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Blatchford out with the hottest take on Brown. TRY AND GUESS WHAT IT IS

quote:

Whatever the merits of their accusations — and how is anyone to know? — the mere act of making them to a journalist was enough. This is all it takes now.

It means that every man in the world is vulnerable, not because he has necessarily misconducted himself, but because a woman may say he has. The truth of the alleged misconduct — did it happen? Were there mitigating circumstances? Does the accuser have motive to lie? — is incidental, if not irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/mooboo38/status/956665499630342144

lol

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for this situation to turn into allegations against Blatchford nightmarishly fast

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

blatchford is always ready to stan for any man. Except for men who hug, gross! 🤮

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/aradwanski/status/956678846966829056

:laffo:

Raze the OPC from the world.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Eox posted:

Can't wait for this situation to turn into allegations against Blatchford nightmarishly fast

The most awkward harassment allegations ever

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Jagmeet Singh has a solid sexual harassment case against Margaret Wente.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

This entire loving paragraph, what the gently caress....

quote:

Mr. Singh's appeal transcends his party. His turbans are a brilliant (if unintentional) branding device. They make him stand out in a crowd. They mark him as exotic. Yet as soon as he opens his mouth, it's clear that he is as much a son of Canada as anyone in the room – not the wimpy, white-bread Canada of our past, but the dashing, muscular Canada we long to be. He's no trust-fund kid, like you-know-who. He's a self-made guy from the suburbs. He has the posture of a warrior – brash, worldly, fearless and also supermanly. Not a beta male, as Justin sometimes tends to be. He's an alpha, with a full luxuriant beard and a serious kirpan to match. Not so long ago, those accessories were a bug. Now they're a feature.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxspHjBm7Q

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please don't quote/link Blatchford or Wente, it's triggering.

Wente should have plagiarized a better column.

Oh, surprisingly enough, DiManno's spicy hot take is the headline on thestar.com. I won't copy it here but she asks where is the assault or harassment in the case of the girl who Brown kissed and got on top of non-consensually, quoting the very passage where she says she froze up and told him to stop.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 26, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So the headline for Fehr is that he called a coworker "Yummy"? I guess I could have 80% of the women in my office fired too. This is getting a bit ridiculous. Lets not cry wolf at every bad threesome joke and make the Weinsteins of the world look less serious because we force someone to resign because someone made a bad joke.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"light" sexual harassment

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

You would be surprised the kind of poo poo storm that can entail with a man and a woman in an elevator. See: Elevatorgate. Dawkins, R., Watkins, R. et al. (2011)

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

"light" sexual harassment

Are you seriously so autismal you cant see the difference between saying someone is attractive or making a sexual joke and demanding a blowjob or grabbing an rear end, etc.

Both are inappropriate, one is really loving criminal. The other one most of my office does, probably even the women more often then men where I am.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol shut up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

patonthebach posted:

Are you seriously so autismal you cant see the difference between saying someone is attractive or making a sexual joke and demanding a blowjob or grabbing an rear end, etc.

Maybe try not sexually harassing women, just a thought.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, don't assault worn in elevators. I like my women assaults out in the open, on the floor of the house of commons and with zero repercussions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Both are inappropriate, one is really loving criminal. The other one most of my office does, probably even the women more often then men where I am.

Don't make sexual jokes in your workplace, are you a crazy person

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

Maybe try not sexually harassing women, just a thought.

Agreed. Pretty hosed up if you do that. I've been sexually harassed at work but thanks for that comment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

patonthebach posted:

So you don't disagree with the term light sexual harassment then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wouldn't want to be around a guy saying "yummy" to a woman and I'm a guy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Don't make sexual jokes in your workplace, are you a crazy person

no one is crazy, they just don't think that's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

patonthebach posted:

shut the gently caress up rural