Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I can't wait for all these guys that couldn't make it to the regular NFL to make their grand secondary appearance on the XFL!

For a name like XFL, they really should embrace it. ALL players will be juicing and denied sex unless they win. GET THAT BALL OR YOU'RE FIRED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Getting paid more to win owns because the most lovely guys on each team (if this can be determined) will catch beatdowns in the locker room tent on a regular basis

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Bring back jim McMahon

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Cavauro posted:

Getting paid more to win owns because the most lovely guys on each team (if this can be determined) will catch beatdowns in the locker room tent on a regular basis

This really is the best though, because with this model at least. If you want to make money you better actually give a drat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Make the A-11 offense legal and I will watch every game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I cannot believe this is actually happening.

What the gently caress

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The QB kneel will be replaced by turning around and saluting the flag and it will be glorious #MAGA

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Team celebrations must now be a group singing of the national anthem

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Wait, the players "will be paid to play and paid extra if they win."?

Does that mean that they are going to use the WWE 'employment' model where the talent is considered to be "contractors" and as such are prevented from unionizing and poo poo?

Will you be SOL if you get injured?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

I cannot believe this is actually happening.

What the gently caress

world is a gently caress

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Svensken posted:

Does that mean that they are going to use the WWE 'employment' model where the talent is considered to be "contractors" and as such are prevented from unionizing and poo poo?

IIRC that's exactly how it worked the last time. That guy who got injured on the first game didn't get paid for the rest of the season he was off the field.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Instead of a coin flip it will be a mad dash for who can recite the pledge of allegiance first and if you skip "under god," you get a personal foul.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Jetfire posted:

IIRC that's exactly how it worked the last time. That guy who got injured on the first game didn't get paid for the rest of the season he was off the field.

Oh please Lord let's this be the glorious tire fire we all expect it to be.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Svensken posted:

Remember the XFL gave 0 fucks about player safety last time. We're going to see someone die on the field.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jetfire posted:

Oh jesus, didn't people get injured in that dumb scramble for the ball they replaced the coin flip with? Does that mean they don't even get paid for that game because they were injured before the first play?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/956639621793886212
No Politics!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

skaboomizzy posted:

Make the A-11 offense legal and I will watch every game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense

That's pretty great, line up anywhere and everyone is eligible seems like a glorious offensive clusterfuck, and it's also solid smoke and mirrors to cover the fact that there's probably gonna be lots of lovely QB's in the XFL.

Based on the announcement they're taking a lot of the approaches I would take. Forcing anthem standing is BS, but from a business standpoint it makes sense and we'll see if they're smart enough to keep their word and make that all the politics they inject into it. Sliding right into that February window is smart (I would have considered going a few months further to around a May-July season just so people may have forgotten what good football looks like, but playing when most other major sports orgs aren't is almost certainly worth that trade off), 8 teams is the number I would have chosen initially, and one person owning all the teams creates at least an appearance of impartiality that I like, though it's also infinitely easier to decide who the good and bad teams will be when you're deciding which teams get what players, depending on how much Vince and far more likely the managers Vince chooses are involved in that process.

I was surprised to see them selling it as a safer league when the original XFL took the complete opposite approach, but that's another sensible response to modern NFL criticisms, and separating it from wrestling is also the way to go. Good luck actually making that happen though, and even if they do it won't mean much if they use the previous pay structure of "win for more money" (making it more likely guys kill themselves on plays trying to win) and "you got injured? LOL sucks to be you."

Overall their plans seem to at least give the league a prayer of success, which is much more than it had last time, so we'll see how it goes. For all his many faults Vince sometimes pulls out legitimately genius-level decisions or ideas, so until we actually see that they're putting janitors out on the field I'm keeping an open mind.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Have they stated if XFL will have replay? I hope not if they're trying to shorten games. Let's go back to when a catch was a catch dammit!

No replay, but if it's determined a ref made a wrong call after the fact, the affected player gets a free shot at the ref.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am so excited for :vince: to get some emoticon friends!!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
XFL Players Association President Stone Cold Steve Austin

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NowonSA posted:

Overall their plans seem to at least give the league a prayer of success, which is much more than it had last time, so we'll see how it goes. For all his many faults Vince sometimes pulls out legitimately genius-level decisions or ideas, so until we actually see that they're putting janitors out on the field I'm keeping an open mind.

Vince has literally never had a successful business venture outside of wrestling

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stone Cold bursts into the replay booth with a zebra cutoff shirt and reverses an obvious PI call

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Tato posted:

Have they stated if XFL will have replay? I hope not if they're trying to shorten games. Let's go back to when a catch was a catch dammit!

No replay, but if it's determined a ref made a wrong call after the fact, the affected player gets a free shot at the ref.

They're targeting two hour games, but I think cutting off replays entirely would piss off fans too much. It's not like there are that many replays in NFL games now, it's more slowed down from penalties than anything. The simplest rule change to pop games into hyperspeed is to have the clock run on incomplete passes, that would put you on track for around two hours even with a halftime break.

Going that much further into wacky time rules, why not make the clock stop for just about everything at under two minutes left in each half. Out of bounds, incompletions, and first downs all stop the clock for the full play clock time. If you've sped up the game enough beforehand you could even make the clock stop on every play whether it's a run or a pass, in bounds or out, and suddenly you have a guaranteed 15-20 plays in the last two minutes, could be an interesting dynamic there. Or for extra drama make that only apply in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

You could also do one timeout per half, now you really gotta manage that clock and be surgical with how you use that sucker.

What I'm saying is give me the football rulebook XFL and let me do all my crackpot ideas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It’s gonna be great

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Benne posted:

Vince has literally never had a successful business venture outside of wrestling

Yeah, it is certainly a fair criticism that all genius has taken place directly related to wrestling.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Imagine getting so mad about a protest that you repeat your most embarrassing professional failure but make it worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
To be fair to Vince, the strokes of genius he had in wrestling weren't purely wrestling-related, they were connected to a very real understanding of media and how people consume it. If he still has that touch (and given the WWE Network mostly being successful, he might?)...who knows.

I mean, I think the talent level and the quality of play will be Bad and that will sink this whole thing, but. The man knows how to deliver content in a way that people will consume it. :shrug:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fsif posted:

Imagine getting so mad about a protest that you repeat your most embarrassing professional failure but make it worse.

that was when he got arrested and put on trial for dealing steroids

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Is the CFL really that horrible to watch? That seems like the upside of this thing - I imagine there are markets in this country, mostly with minor league sports franchises instead of major league, that can just about sustain CFL-level football on a CFL-level scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

Gotta kick it out

Gotta get five yards

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The CFL is pretty good once you get used to the weird rule differences

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was reading about the 1987 strike, teams threw together scab players within a week or two. They absolutely can get teams together for this. Getting cities on board probably won't be too hard, they'll just have to take locations that have a decent college stadium. The old XFL had a couple of teams that played in NFL stadiums too.

It's absolutely feasible. Whether or not it's sustainable? Well...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Replace the coin flip with an arm wrestling match.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If I were a billionaire I would pay each player $100K to kneel and not let anyone know about it in advance

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fsif posted:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite fact about the XFL 1.0 was that there was no health insurance for the players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mtAgTYQfmc&t=97s

"Well I'll tell you what we have our first injury of the night on the scramble."

"I've never seen anyone injured on the NFL coin toss!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Athanatos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mtAgTYQfmc&t=97s

"Well I'll tell you what we have our first injury of the night on the scramble."

"I've never seen anyone injured on the NFL coin toss!"

oh my god. I never actually watched the first time around and had no idea JR and King did the commentary

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Please no disrespecting the better football from Canada. :colbert:

Also betting 1 million dollars right loving now that they're gonna force the crowd signing the anthem.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Lmao how is this looking to be even WORSE than what we were all expecting

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

seiferguy posted:

I was reading about the 1987 strike, teams threw together scab players within a week or two. They absolutely can get teams together for this. Getting cities on board probably won't be too hard, they'll just have to take locations that have a decent college stadium. The old XFL had a couple of teams that played in NFL stadiums too.

It's absolutely feasible. Whether or not it's sustainable? Well...

The problem is they have no coaches, no stadiums, no rulebook nothing. When the NFL strike happened they just lost the players which they could replace.. with much worse players, but everything around them was there.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Will Jalen Hurts be available by 2020?