Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'd focus on unlocking engineers more than anything else right now. Just getting access to them.

Time to get the asp explorer out of storage and do that 5k trek then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Time to get the asp explorer out of storage and do that 5k trek then.

Just finished that last night, time to get 25 MacGuffins!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

unironically and genuinely: thanks for the informative post

edit: I'll summarize for people like me who don't like to read the fdev forums: Someone was paraphrasing Sandro as having said that they want to buff the new system such that it matches or exceeds any rolls possible under the old system. For all I know, that might be accurate, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, Sandro doesn't confirm or deny that, but instead posts this slightly more equivocal comment:

quote:

Grandfathering is an important issue for us.

We're going to be keeping an eye on power discrepancy between old and new upgrades, and will probably start buffing once we get some feedback that the new system is working ok. Assuming it is then we can start looking at indivdual blueprints and apply buffs where necessary.

So no specific promises from Sandro regarding dirty drives, but it looks like we can expect buffs of some kind in future updates to the beta.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 25, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kaddish posted:

What should I work on engineering wise as a casual player before the patch if I mainly do mining/trading, etc? FSD? I only have the first two engineers unlocked I think.

I've been using Kurr's engineering primer to work on my unlocks, it's been very helpful.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Chieftain look's really interesting, and I'd love to play around with it, but I won't really know how it performs until it's A-rated and engineered.

Which means I need to strip modules from my Python, FDL, and AspX in the short term, then make duplicates and upgrade them in the long term (Because gently caress having to swap parts around constantly). Not to mention I still don't have a really good Dirty Drive 5 set up on a 6A thrusters, which is going to be a god-awful grind under the new system, just so I can have a ship on-par to the one I already got.

So at this point I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with the one feature I care about this patch. Everything FDev does is tainted with grind.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So is it going to be a requirement to have a Chieftain if you join Diamond Frogs? Hopefully there will be appropriate paint jobs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gonkish posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7svsm5/engineering_proposals_seem_legit/

So they made the Engineering grind WORSE by tying it to specific modules? That's supreme, alpha-level :frontear:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Welp, time to loving grind done all my remaining engineering poo poo so I don't have to deal with that bullshit.

Gonkish posted:

If the posts in that thread are correct, then Frontier's answer to "Engineering is a ridiculous loving grind that is actively driving players from the game" was "Let's make the grind CRAZIER!"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sandro you bastard retire bitch :argh:

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Plus, old superior rolls get grandfathered in so Space Grandpas get to keep their ultragrind modules!

DatonKallandor posted:

They have to gently caress something big up or they wouldn't be continuing their streak. It's a Frontier patch if it doesn't make something worse - and the bigger the patch, the bigger the feature they ruin.

Gonkish posted:

So apparently it's not just "grind to G5 for X improvement", it's "grind to G5 for each module/component that you loving own, individually". So if you have two beam lasers... gently caress you grind to G5 for both of them? I guess?

PLUS the grogs get to keep their grindrolls because the one group of people Frontier seems to listen to are the ones who desperately want this game to be "space kicks you in the balls and then shits down your throat and makes you thank it for the privilege simulator 2018"? Have they never heard of a dominatrix?

Enos Cabell posted:

Welp, seems like I made the right call to get off my rear end and grind engineers before they gently caress it all up.
This one's for the whole thread: :laugh:

Guess y'all missed when they announced all of this a month or two ago? :confused:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think it will affect some people negatively. Mainly those who don’t hardcore pray to the RNG god and just sort of casually use engineers. I unlocked G3-G5 access on most of them for the things i like to upgrade a while ago. So when need be I just take my ships over there and fire off one or two shots on a G4 or G5 upgrade and call it a day and continue on my way. That’s going to be harder in the current system now because it will take more grinding per module to actually use the system casually.

Seems off to me.
How many materials for g1 to g3 are you just sitting on or throwing away currently though?

It's not like every upgrade will use rare materials, only the last few. In the normal course of play you probably regularly discard enough mats to engineer a full ship to rank 3.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Actually a pretty informative video of both what an engineered chieftan can do (~23ly range when rigged for war, near 500km speed, lots of guns and armor) and what fighting the new thargoid scouts is like. Galnet audio also seems pretty great.

https://youtu.be/bpBD5e0ZY0U

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It took them almost a year of people asking for it (and devs apparently being surprised by it), but Frontier finally did it: the Keelback now has a second seat.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

One of the things cracking me up is people moaning about how they'll have to upgrade every single module for every single ship 15 times. Like do you people not swap modules around? I swap my poo poo around all the time.

For most stuff I agree that its gonna be fine, but there are some edge cases.

Hull reinforcement packs come in 5 different sizes, so if you wanted to pre-roll all the g5 heavy-duty HRPs that you might ever want (say 4 of each) then that's 20 g5 rolls today. Under the new system, assuming you max out a grade after 3 or 4 rolls, a that's 15 - 20 rolls per module (300 - 400 rolls total).

I think it makes sense to roll these now and save some time if you ever plan to build a hull tank.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

radintorov posted:

It took them almost a year of people asking for it (and devs apparently being surprised by it), but Frontier finally did it: the Keelback now has a second seat.

Do the npc pilots you pick up not require a seat? I kinda wondered how a single seater worked with a fighter in addition.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hobold posted:

Do the npc pilots you pick up not require a seat? I kinda wondered how a single seater worked with a fighter in addition.

They just live in the cockpit of the fighter, forever.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is enough space in the ships for crew berths.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how do the crime changes affect the srv hack missions because i was pretty annoyed after getting a bounty from one i was permanently a wanted man until i found a fence to pay it off

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The NPC pilot sits in the fighterbay module. There's a little control station in there. They never get into the fighter itself. That's why you can blow up as many fighters as you want, and nothing happens, but if your mothership goes, they die.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

how do the crime changes affect the srv hack missions because i was pretty annoyed after getting a bounty from one i was permanently a wanted man until i found a fence to pay it off

You can just switch ships after doing your crimes. In the update, the bounty sticks to the ship instead of the player.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
If you have enough money and you just get caught in your scanwinder, can you just forego the rebuy?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I logged into the beta and the game put me some 70Ly from todd blaster mcguffin so I bought 2 small multicannons and went to roll some upgrades.

You have to upgrade 3 times per rank, per gun.

No wait I lie. the 3 rank 1 upgrades was just for long range. I tried short range blaster and had to upgrade five times to get to rank 2.

5 rank 1 upgrades

Applying the rank 2 upgrade ticked off rank 1 as 'complete'

e: Upon further investigation the amount that you get upgraded per rank is random. You could either roll a big upgrade or an absolutely tiny one.

Question, how did you get that exact color hud without the portraits looking like an acid trip? It might just be the pic but your npc portrait looks a lot more normal than mine.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Question, how did you get that exact color hud without the portraits looking like an acid trip? It might just be the pic but your npc portrait looks a lot more normal than mine.

Hahah I had them looking like an acid trip for years till I figured out how to make them look normal but still keep the colour.

quote:

<MatrixRed>0.1, 1, 1</MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen>0.5, 0, 0</MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue>0.5, -1, 0</MatrixBlue>

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hahah I had them looking like an acid trip for years till I figured out how to make them look normal but still keep the colour.

Many thanks! The perfect 80's vibe finally found.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Eldragon posted:

The Chieftain look's really interesting, and I'd love to play around with it, but I won't really know how it performs until it's A-rated and engineered.

Which means I need to strip modules from my Python, FDL, and AspX in the short term, then make duplicates and upgrade them in the long term (Because gently caress having to swap parts around constantly). Not to mention I still don't have a really good Dirty Drive 5 set up on a 6A thrusters, which is going to be a god-awful grind under the new system, just so I can have a ship on-par to the one I already got.

So at this point I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with the one feature I care about this patch. Everything FDev does is tainted with grind.

I messed around with a partially engineered Chieftain a bit.

You have literally no reason to ever use one over a Python or FAS.

It is worse at combat than the FAS by a country mile and can't hold a candle to the Python for multi-role.

Edit: Which isn't to say it is a bad ship. Just that it is going head to head with two of the games best ships and coming up short.

Xae fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 26, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lmbo over 200 mats to G5 6 shield boosters for an anaconda

i think i'lll actually try-hard this beta and engineer up a Chieftain from scratch and make an effort post about my experience.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 26, 2018

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Helianthus Annuus posted:

edit: just hit a show-stopping bug and I can't log into beta anymore. crash report sent. hope they fix it. :shrug:

Yeah mine crashed out too.
Had to restart the machine

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Xae posted:

It is worse at combat than the FAS by a country mile and can't hold a candle to the Python for multi-role.

Edit: Which isn't to say it is a bad ship. Just that it is going head to head with two of the games best ships and coming up short.

The chieftain certainly turns much faster than the python though, correct? Would you say it’s speed helps make up for its lack of shield or hull strength?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The remote release flak launchers are fantastic.

The Chieftan is more like an AspX that is better at punching upwards.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I’m curious about chieftain vs FDL. I could maybe see it being a fun gimmick ship for CZ farming with three small lasers and multi cannons. Triple cryoscramblers maybe? I’ve never used them.

But really the game needs an equal to the python, FDev missed an opportunity here.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

radintorov posted:

Im a little surprised it didnt before, description of it specifically mentions a fighter bay, which seems very multi-crew to me.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

The chieftain certainly turns much faster than the python though, correct? Would you say it’s speed helps make up for its lack of shield or hull strength?

Yeah, it is probably around a FAS in turning. But it has stupidly weak directional thrusters and Anaconda-like inertia.

I don't think the increased turn makes up for losing everything the Python has to offer.

I would rather seem them double or triple the price and move it to compete as a combatish multi-role alternative to the Python.

But as of right now it is just a FAS with a more annoying weapon setup, weaker thrusters and less tank.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

From the stats it turns exactly as fast as the FAS in every direction but yaw (which is quite a bit slower). I think that seemingly minor difference is pretty significant though, as I'm finding it really hard to get fixed shots off on target.

Although I'm using a new joystick as of yesterday. It has a lot stiffer throw than what I'm used to, so maybe it's that and not the ship.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey, I should mention that, when I was talking about making a PVP Chieftain, I've never actually :airquote: survived :airquote: a PVP encounter...

:eng99:

I just have lots of space cash to burn through in exotic ways.

Xae posted:

Yeah, it is probably around a FAS in turning. But it has stupidly weak directional thrusters and Anaconda-like inertia.

I don't think the increased turn makes up for losing everything the Python has to offer.

I would rather seem them double or triple the price and move it to compete as a combatish multi-role alternative to the Python.

But as of right now it is just a FAS with a more annoying weapon setup, weaker thrusters and less tank.

Well, isn't it also going to be ~ a quarter the cost of an FAS? Fits well into the progression chart, right?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ugh. Well I guess it’s all about balance. It’s dangerous a bit to make a ship that’s perfect for combat without reservation. Like, each ship has its pros and cons and I think this in many ways causes the player base to find their niche. I still use an anaconda or FGS for PVE because they rock to me. I get that an FDL would be insanely good but I could never get behind it’s weird power management problems.

I’m still going to buy a chieftan and have tons of fun shooting those scout thargoids.

I am also insanely jealous of all you beta havers as I am on Xbox. Sad.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey, I should mention that, when I was talking about making a PVP Chieftain, I've never actually :airquote: survived :airquote: a PVP encounter...

:eng99:

I just have lots of space cash to burn through in exotic ways.

Well, isn't it also going to be ~ a quarter the cost of an FAS? Fits well into the progression chart, right?

It was 19 Mill on Test. I would put the total cost to fit as with in spitting distance of a FAS.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

it also requires no rank

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

thargoid scout sounds reminicent of a cylon raider :stwoon:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Eh if the chieftan manages to replace my vulture till i can get an FAS or Python I'll be happy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

Eh if the chieftan manages to replace my vulture till i can get an FAS or Python I'll be happy.

Python maybe, or if you have to grind rank for the Feds. Otherwise I'd go for the FAS immediately, since it costs about the same.

Also hot drat, that engineering thing with having to upgrade every single module is a nasty surprise. In the old system, as soon as you had unlocked a higher tier blueprint, you could just apply all of them. If this is right, you know have to go 1-5 with every module and every single blueprint you want to try? That would multiply the old grind, instead of reducing it.

So we get a mat trader and more storage for materials, but on the other hand, we'll also need a lot more time and mats spend on upgrading? A typical case of one step forward, one step back. :frontear: at its best. :shepface:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Xae posted:

Well, that depends on how much it costs -

Xae posted:

It was 19 Mill on Test. I would put the total cost to fit as with in spitting distance of a FAS.

There we go. If it's in the same ballpark with the FAS, that's good - something to fill that enormous 5-50M gap in ship costs.

Keep in mind that right now, unless you have faction rank, ship costs look like this:

~5M - Vulture
~6M - Asp-X
~17M - Type-7
~48M - Orca
~49M - Fer-De-Lance
~55M - Python

Having the Chieftain in the 20M ballpark would make the grind there so much more bearable, even if it's not strictly an optimal design.

Frontier's stated that they expect most players to pick a faction to support and by the time they hit the cost of an i/fWhatsit they'll have earned about enough reputation for it. In practice this never happens because a) low-rank missions get you gently caress all for awards, making them unattractive to new players, b) the game in no way communicates that 'hey, these missions with the funny marking here get you reputation with a superpower which unlocks cool ships', and c) the amount of rep-gained-per-mission is negligible when you're a fresh Commander, since of course it scales with your pilot ranks. Therefore most players tend to navigate towards bounty hunting or bulk trading for moneymaking (disregarding the usual Exploit of the Week) and by the time they get to a Vulture or Asp, the grind to the next useable ship chassis is just.. ugh.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 26, 2018

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

the milk machine posted:

i'm relatively new to elite. i have plenty of credits but haven't done any engineering yet... would it be a waste of time starting down the engineering path now vs. waiting until the patch?

If there is a module type you want to upgrade multiple times to lvl 5 - FSD for several ships, lots of turreted long range lasers or shield boosters etc. I'd consider doing it under the current system, as sou will have to grind your way from lvl 1-5 for each module later. I am definitely stockpiling some lvl 5 modules ...

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If they’re going forward with this system then current implementation of pinned blueprints needs to go. Ideally you should just be able to view engineer blueprints remotely. Barring that G1-5 of a specific modification should be able to be pinned.

• Locked thread