Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm thinking about getting the A119 since I saw it mentioned here a few times and it ranked highly on DashCamTalk.

Anyone here still using one? How well does it work for you? I'm thinking about getting this one off of Amazon.ca specifically (http://a.co/b4wThx0).

It apparently has a GPS mount which I plan on turning off everything but date/time and maybe location.

e: apparently there's an A119s as well: http://a.co/efceXCo

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the A119S.

It has a weird over sharpening thing that is hard coded into the firmware (although it has been improved upon slightly with some updates, and you can downgrade to older versions also). I think it was intended to make plates easier to read but it sorta hinders it in other ways.

Also has an issue with the lens not focusing all areas of view properly. Corners and edges are slightly out.

Otherwise it's fantastic. Very stable/reliable, good form factor.

I bought my dad a street guardian and if I was to buy another one I would buy that. They are well supported after purchase and overall a better camera.

YouTube kills the quality but here's a sample of the over sharpened firmware. The newer one is slightly better. The road markings and corner signage is where it's the most apparent I think.

https://youtu.be/nAQkoH8ipUg

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm thinking about getting the A119 since I saw it mentioned here a few times and it ranked highly on DashCamTalk.

Anyone here still using one? How well does it work for you? I'm thinking about getting this one off of Amazon.ca specifically

I got an A119 recently because I wasn't going to splurge on the latest for 4K or one of the ones with GPS included. The reviews are spot on about quality. Some issues when you have overexposure and fast movement can lead to rolling shutter, and depending on exposure lights at night can either be a blob or a cross-like pattern. It seems like getting a polarizing filter is necessary to get rid of the glare.

The lane departure/collision warning settings seem pretty useless.

2K is pretty good for making mundane GIFs:

Laserface posted:

It has a weird over sharpening thing that is hard coded into the firmware (although it has been improved upon slightly with some updates, and you can downgrade to older versions also). I think it was intended to make plates easier to read but it sorta hinders it in other ways.

Pretty much the same with the A119, but I think it helps overall. That's probably why I get that rainbow effect in branches?

Does anyone have any video filter recommendations? At the moment I'm using ffmpeg (2, not 3) and mainly applying an unsharp filter. Also trying to figure out how to smooth that GIF above.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Please check my web blog for my latest hot take, a fiery treatise entitled 2 Way Stops VS 4 Way Stops: What's the Difference Really I Mean Come On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5dr5CA2CU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Please check my web blog for my latest hot take, a fiery treatise entitled 2 Way Stops VS 4 Way Stops: What's the Difference Really I Mean Come On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5dr5CA2CU

I like that you saw it coming and decided to scare the poo poo out of him a bit.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The other version of that which pisses me off almost just as much, and is equally dangerous is the "good Samaritan 2-way stop", in which the person who has right of way stops to let someone at the stop sign go. Now they've buttfucked traffic behind them, may get rearended, vehicle coming in the opposite direction probably isn't going to stop, why should they... Yea, I see that one all too often.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Newest aussie one is out. Intro good, drivers poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpWZjlQyIM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fo3 posted:

Newest aussie one is out. Intro good, drivers poo poo

Why do a lot of semi's in Aus have those steel grid things over their windshields?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

Why do a lot of semi's in Aus have those steel grid things over their windshields?

Have you been watching the dashcam videos?

Protection against bit of toyota.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

To keep kangaroo guts off the windshield.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

chrisgt posted:

To keep kangaroo guts off the windshield.

Pretty much. That and cows.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

The other version of that which pisses me off almost just as much, and is equally dangerous is the "good Samaritan 2-way stop", in which the person who has right of way stops to let someone at the stop sign go. Now they've buttfucked traffic behind them, may get rearended, vehicle coming in the opposite direction probably isn't going to stop, why should they... Yea, I see that one all too often.

When I worked for the phone company they told us if anyone ever tried to wave us through an intersection against right of way, we were to just sit there until they went first. If they wouldn't go, we were instructed to turn off our vehicles and stand over on the curb until they moved. Extreme insurance scam rear end covering I suppose, but to this day it bugs the hell out of me when people do this. I can't even honk or flip them off because they're trying to be nice :argh:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
On Saturday I was waiting in the left turn lane at a green light for traffic to clear in the oncoming lanes so I could make my turn. At the tail end of the oncoming traffic was this red Tesla that began moving into her right turn lane. She comes to the corner, at a green light, stops, and waves at me to go. What in the actual gently caress? Who taught you to drive?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpWZjlQyIM&t=68s

This particular clip at 1:08 is special. Honking at a guy doing a dangerous overtake and swerving and braking to avoid him, only to have the car behind him pull the same dickhead maneuver and disappear into the distance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shere posted:

On Saturday I was waiting in the left turn lane at a green light for traffic to clear in the oncoming lanes so I could make my turn. At the tail end of the oncoming traffic was this red Tesla that began moving into her right turn lane. She comes to the corner, at a green light, stops, and waves at me to go. What in the actual gently caress? Who taught you to drive?

I've only started experiencing this in the last year or two and it's maddening as gently caress. There seems to be some critical misunderstanding that right of way exists only to be polite, and not because it dictates proper flow.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

If every direction is clear and some dickhead stops to wave me on, I'll usually go as long as they're in clear view of the camera. But sometimes It's really not safe, I'll just sit there and honk/wave. There's a lot of insurance scam bullshit going on where I live, so I'm pretty careful. I've known a few people who had someone stop in the middle of the road to randomly wave them on, then crash into them on purpose, unless there's a camera, the scammer usually wins.

Budgie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpWZjlQyIM&t=68s

This particular clip at 1:08 is special. Honking at a guy doing a dangerous overtake and swerving and braking to avoid him, only to have the car behind him pull the same dickhead maneuver and disappear into the distance.

yea if the silver car and blue car had a headon, it would have been two dumbasses in one pass, it would have been beautiful.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 22, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Budgie posted:

Tons of people drive by assuming the person ahead of them is correct and just zoning out. I've seen this before with people accidentally proceeding straight through an intersection when only the left turn light has gone green: they go, the people behind them who were waiting for the light assume it's green and go too, and you get four people running a red light in a train.

There's one intersection near my house that I use a lot, where it's clearly signposted no right turns on red (I'm in California where normally right turn on red is permitted), and once one person goes, it often becomes a free-for-all.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Leperflesh posted:

Tons of people drive by assuming the person ahead of them is correct and just zoning out. I've seen this before with people accidentally proceeding straight through an intersection when only the left turn light has gone green: they go, the people behind them who were waiting for the light assume it's green and go too, and you get four people running a red light in a train.

Sometimes the one in the next lane over gets faked out, too. For instance, the following clip I caught: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejF_auBTvak

Idiot in the Prius is coming up to a red left arrow and a red straight; the straight turns green, left remains red; Prius makes a left on red and almost gets T-boned. Intersection smells like brake dust when I finally pass through later.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is this Papago a good deal? I remember some review site rated one of their dashcams as the best pick for the money but I don't know if it's this one.

https://meh.com/

Papago LORA 381 1080p Dash Cam (Recertified)

$49 (plus shipping I assume)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Zero VGS posted:

Is this Papago a good deal? I remember some review site rated one of their dashcams as the best pick for the money but I don't know if it's this one.

https://meh.com/

Papago LORA 381 1080p Dash Cam (Recertified)

$49 (plus shipping I assume)

A different Papago model is the Wirecutter's pick: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

I couldn't tell you how that one compares, but in the competition section Wirecutter did test at least one other Papago and did not like it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a bit beyond squeaking through a fresh red IMO. Dude was in the intersection so long I thought he was going straight until he turned right in front of me :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVBkDmOxt8

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That was someone entering the intersection late and realizing it, stopping to consider if they should just back up, and then deciding not to.

Alternate explanation: stalled the car by letting the clutch out too fast while entering the intersection, got the car re-started, then went ahead with their intended turn

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Alternate explanation: stalled the car by letting the clutch out too fast while entering the intersection, got the car re-started, then went ahead with their intended turn

My Dude, he's driving a Challenger, you really think he knows how to drive stick :rice:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 26, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nope, and that's probably the problem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do they even make manual challengers? I thought they were 100% for limp-dicked failed ska band wannabes who's best days were high school, 15+ years ago, and therefore only available in automatic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Do they even make manual challengers? I thought they were 100% for limp-dicked failed ska band wannabes who's best days were high school, 15+ years ago, and therefore only available in automatic.

The Charger, no, the Challenger, yes (even in Hellcat form).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the Challenger is actually the only one of the LX cars to be offered with three pedals. For some annoying reason they never put it in any of the four door models.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
This is roughly dashcam related... anyone know if I could use RainX/Aquapel/something on a GoPro lens? I got one to record my inevitable demise while motorcycle commuting, but when it's pissing rain it's pretty useless:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wolrah posted:

Yeah, the Challenger is actually the only one of the LX cars to be offered with three pedals. For some annoying reason they never put it in any of the four door models.

At least for the Hellcat, the explanation/excuse is that the transmission tunnel on the Charger is too small for the MANLY GIRTH of the transmission that can handle the Hellcat engine.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Fats posted:

This is roughly dashcam related... anyone know if I could use RainX/Aquapel/something on a GoPro lens? I got one to record my inevitable demise while motorcycle commuting, but when it's pissing rain it's pretty useless:

Yes you can use RainX on GoPro housings and it does work pretty well as long as there's enough wind to blow water off the housing (which obviously isn't an issue for you).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
edit: nm

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I got this one a few weeks back, but life has a way of getting in the way of video uploads. This is along a road that's full of blind corners and people that like to drive way too fast - not the best combination to attempt this maneuver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyrfUAep6U

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

If that silver Cadillac hadn't backed off on passing around corner that would have ended very, very poorly. Christ.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Shere posted:

If that silver Cadillac hadn't backed off on passing around corner that would have ended very, very poorly. Christ.

Curiously enough, my wife and I were groaning at the beginning of the video because the Cadillac was pacing the truck for the past mile or so, blocking traffic. If that hadn’t been the case, that whole thing may have ended differently.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah I'd hate to vindicate anyone not passing in the passing lane, but if anyone had been then the fuckstick in the red S2K would have killed a few people.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCm5VNLHfMk

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

.... exactly why I always expect a pedestrian when the car in the other lane slows down. Also why I as a pedestrian get nervous as hell when crossing at a 2 lane crossing when there is a van or other big vehicle that blocks visibility for the vehicles in the other lane. I once saw a girl who walked right out, head buried in her phone and was totally oblivous to the car comes racing past in the other lane, and almost hit her.

VVVVV: Expect the unexpected, prepare for the retarded - that's my motto when driving.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 28, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I'm a lot less nervous as a pedestrian when I'm not loving JAYWALKING. Takes a pretty good dipshit to cross 4 lanes of traffic on a stop hand.
It's not like the light recently changed, either. It had been green for a long time.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Today I caught an Odyssey making the loving ballsiest pass I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5OfPhaZ7UU

I gotta say that I was rooting for the thing to roll, though I sure was impressed when he pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You wanna talk rollovers? I got your rollover riiiiiiiiiight here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wWpfGjwEI

This is part 1 of supposedly 3 clips that were briefly uploaded to YouTube before the driver realized how incriminating they were and went on a scorched-earth attempt to wipe them from the internet.

Some dude over on the VWVortex forums claims to have seen all 3 videos before they were taken down (and that thread is now gone, I had to copy this from a Google cache):

VWVortex forums posted:

Video 1: Guy gets tapped, proceeds to chase Accord who is clearly fleeing. BMW loses control on exit ramp, goes up on one side, returns, then proceeds to chase again. 911 is called and operator tells driver to pull over.
Video 2: Chase continues. Can't remember if 911 is called again, but passenger in BMW is starting to plea with driver. Driver is hell bent on not going out like a bitch. Round and round they go.
Video 3: Chase continues further. Accord continues to signal. Chase enters a mall where BMW spins out twice in a mall parking lot and then breaks. Passenger continues to try and calm driver down. Driver starts presumably punching interior (loud whacks) then gets out of car and starts screaming. Video ends with BMW driver having a tantrum just off screen in front of car.

Normally this would be way too STDH for me, but after seeing the first video I can totally see it.