Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Uh, did they actually say why they're summoning the fish lizard thing or just that they're going to do it? That town is at least superficially neutral with the evil empire and they're the only threat in the game's world aside from random nighttime monsters, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I was about to post asking how you make big money in this game but was like 'eh' then I saw the 300,000 gil caviar and now I have to know.

You don't seem to get any money from combat at all.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Back when timed quests were still an online mp thing, there was a quest that rewarded you 2 mil for completing it. It was one of the most poorly balanced enemies I've ever experienced in a video game but ffxv hands you megalixirs like they're candy so it was whatever

I've no idea how you'd get the big bucks otherwise unless you really like doing hunts.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Lunethex posted:

I was about to post asking how you make big money in this game but was like 'eh' then I saw the 300,000 gil caviar and now I have to know.

You don't seem to get any money from combat at all.

I'm guessing at some points in the plot there are some big money-dumps or something like that. Sorta like GTA

Bocc Kob posted:

Uh, did they actually say why they're summoning the fish lizard thing or just that they're going to do it? That town is at least superficially neutral with the evil empire and they're the only threat in the game's world aside from random nighttime monsters, right?

I think the general idea is that prince needs to gain the powers of all these godmonsters so he can fight back against the Evil Empire ™ and in order for him to do that she needs to call them because she is the only person who has their direct lines saved in her phone

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Lol, right before you begin negotiations there's a loading screen tacked on telling you about the Accordo Protectorate, which is brought up during negotiations.

this game.
this loving game right here.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Please look in the restaurants for a burger or something we can apply the Big Mac Index to so we can really figure out the true purchasing power of the Gil. Considering a single garlic is worth about 10 full tanks of fuel you could really dive deep into figuring out the politics and how people live their lives in the region. Though it's far more likely they didn't actually care about stuff like that, and it's all completely arbitrary.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That one guy - Vyv? I think that was his name, the sweaty fat guy who owns a travel magazine or whatever - gives you a significant chunk for doing his quests. That's basically where I got all my money when I played this game

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i can't tell if this game is incoherent or if it's just so boring that i can't invest the mental effort to follow it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How does this game manage to be so extrordinarily bad at everything that has anything to do with dramatic tension? Even if you hired the best writers money can get and told them to write something as bad as possible, I don't think they'd be able to match this dreck.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Are there options to shut off the subtitles and switch the audio to Japanese or any other language? It might make the game better.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I had the (dis)pleasure of perusing a FFXV fanfic a while back. It was amazing to read because there so much burgeoning purple prose while simultaneously/unintentionally showing Noctis as a chicken tendies-eating goon who did nothing but play video games all day in his underwear. It was pretty much the worst thing and yet the best FFXV fic for having captured the game's essence perfectly: overproduced & bland.

I guess what I learned that day is that there are people out there who for some reason love this game, and I don't get why.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I had the (dis)pleasure of perusing a FFXV fanfic a while back. It was amazing to read because there so much burgeoning purple prose while simultaneously/unintentionally showing Noctis as a chicken tendies-eating goon who did nothing but play video games all day in his underwear. It was pretty much the worst thing and yet the best FFXV fic for having captured the game's essence perfectly: overproduced & bland.

I take it you haven't watched the mini-mini-anime series called Brotherhood, released with the game in concert with the theatrical release of Kingsglaive.
Noctis having the palette of a toddler is official canon.

How are you even following the plot if you haven't done any of the required reading?

I'm just kidding, this game is like an attempt at the Marvel Cinematic Universe if it was rolled out by somebody with a traumatic brain injury.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

I'm just kidding, this game is like an attempt at the Marvel Cinematic Universe if it was rolled out by somebody with a traumatic brain injury.

So DC or Universal :v: I guess DC because at least they've strung together a couple of movies that absolutely had no business being attached, wheras Universal gave up after the Mummy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nihilarian posted:

That one guy - Vyv? I think that was his name, the sweaty fat guy who owns a travel magazine or whatever - gives you a significant chunk for doing his quests. That's basically where I got all my money when I played this game

The guys did show something called the arena for a second on the map, I'm guessing that's the game's fight club for people who want to money, loot and to level up without running around the incredibly pretty but sterile game world.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Bocc Kob posted:

Are there options to shut off the subtitles and switch the audio to Japanese or any other language? It might make the game better.

If anything this makes it worse because Japanese Prompto is a thousand times more insufferable.

The French dub is good though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

The guys did show something called the arena for a second on the map, I'm guessing that's the game's fight club for people who want to money, loot and to level up without running around the incredibly pretty but sterile game world.

You obviously have played a video game before.

That can't be said for the guys who made this game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That city is so terribly designed, like the guys who made it didn't realize it was supposed to be in a video game. Nothing says enjoyable like corridors and no running or jumping.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
The 'negotiating' scene is probably a nod to the negotiating scene with the empire in ff6 only done by morons. You got better stuff the better you did in ff6 too.

Oh yeah, one cool thing this game does is as the story progresses, days actually get shorter and shorter and nights longer. I don't blame you guys for not noticing.

coleman francis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 26, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FeyerbrandX posted:

You obviously have played a video game before.

That can't be said for the guys who made this game.

Well, this comment just made me go and look up the arena on google.

:ughh:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That sure was an emotional and heartfelt speech by an amazing voice actor. :geno:

I have no idea what the plot is even supposed to be anymore or why anyone is doing anything, but it's clearer than ever that the smartest move this game made was in keeping this girl out of the main party and mostly off camera. And here I always thought Yuna was bad...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zoe posted:

That sure was an emotional and heartfelt speech by an amazing voice actor. :geno:

I have no idea what the plot is even supposed to be anymore or why anyone is doing anything, but it's clearer than ever that the smartest move this game made was in keeping this girl out of the main party and mostly off camera. And here I always thought Yuna was bad...

Yuna was understandable because the voice directors kept trying to sync the English-speaking voice actors to the Japanese lip flaps, so a lot of the speech came out abrupt. ...But then again, maybe I can forgive the voice actor in FFXV too because the script is not really the greatest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's typically the voice direction that's the problem and not the actors. Considering everything else in the game feels like it's kept together with gum and paper clips, the voice direction being bad is not really surprising. These are the same people that thought we wouldn't get that Ignis is dignified unless he had a British accent in a world with no England.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Momomo posted:

These are the same people that thought we wouldn't get that Ignis is dignified unless he had a British accent in a world with no England.

If only they'd watched Frasier.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I honestly can't tell if the game is in on joke that Noctis is the gooniest goon on the planet and the "negotiate like a proper prince" scene was supposed to be tongue and cheek, or if it was just so poorly executed that it comes off that way. I want to believe it's the former, but the conceit of the story so far leads me to believe the developers honestly think they're succeeding in having Noctis walk this fine line of goofy inexperienced kid and regal savior of humanity.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There needed to be an option where he could go "Lady, I summon swords, guns and fishing rods at will, and can call upon a loving lightning god for some reason. Step the gently caress back with this intense poo poo."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Pretty impressive that they got game Clinton to sound even more cold and robotic than the real life one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

PhazonLink posted:

Pretty impressive that they got game Clinton to sound even more cold and robotic than the real life one.

At least game Clinton has the excuse of quite possibly being a robot or some other kind of seemingly human, but not quite, being.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I can't wait to see the next on-rails QTE summon fight.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sydin posted:

I honestly can't tell if the game is in on joke that Noctis is the gooniest goon on the planet and the "negotiate like a proper prince" scene was supposed to be tongue and cheek, or if it was just so poorly executed that it comes off that way. I want to believe it's the former, but the conceit of the story so far leads me to believe the developers honestly think they're succeeding in having Noctis walk this fine line of goofy inexperienced kid and regal savior of humanity.

I think they just wanted him to be 'relatable' to the 15 year old boy demographic.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATES :frogsiren:

Episode 49: Eligible Bachelor

finally found the Liege of the Lake

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I can't believe this game copied the Perfect Chaos fight from Sonic Adventure and made it worse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder if I binge-watched this LP from the beginning I'd understand what was going on.

I didn't even remember Ramuh being in this game.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I can't believe this game copied the Perfect Chaos fight from Sonic Adventure and made it worse.

Hey man, if your boss tells you to jump the shark and make Noctis into Super Sonic, you better find the biggest shark around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if I binge-watched this LP from the beginning I'd understand what was going on.

I didn't even remember Ramuh being in this game.

After the Titan scene they escaped with the Imperials, then [???] and one scene cut later they were stuck without their car by the chocobo racetrack. They had to go around and get Ramuh's favor in order to trip a flag that told them where the car was.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
he's powering up

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Noctis had like a billion potions on him. She could have taken some from the many pockets of his fishing gear, cracked a few and survived that. She just wanted out.

I'm kind of sad you didn't do that fight in the noodle hat, but the camera was so lovely it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference in entertainment.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

As a reminder this is how the fight is after they patched it to make it better. Also after some poking around I think that scene with Ardyn was not in the base game. A lot of this entire section has changed since launch.

But who cares, all aboard the plot train :toot: :toot:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wait poo poo you beefed it

you could have been ramen goku

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Girl had the trident of anti-orbital lasers. She could have wiped out that airforce any time she wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The evacuation was complete bullshit nonsense. Gondola town is a protectorate of the empire, which has thousands of drop ships and logistical experience(and is already there, anyway).

And instead mayor lady decides what the people really need is 3 guys in black leather waving their arms and inciting a panic as they drive low-lying residents to higher ground.

• Locked thread