Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
puzzle out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, that's one vote for a demanding meow, 3 for jumping, and 6 for using our intelligence. Let's get into a top hat and solve this puzzle!

quote:

You're good with your claws, but obviously the workings of kiddie locks baffle felines as much as they do humans. When you opt for jaws as well, you do break something—a claw. But it turns out the lock wasn't fastened properly, and your final, painful crunch on plastic simply pulls it free. In the end, the effect is the same as if you knew what you were doing, and anything achieved without witnesses makes finesse a bit irrelevant. Headbutting the gate, you push your way through to the upstairs hallway. This looks a bit more like it. Some pointless yet extravagant plants and plant stands, as well as two shut doors and one open door beyond which Claire is talking loudly. There's a large bathroom, too, and to the left of that, another door. You see Andre through it, ignoring all the guitars in the room in favor of a messy pile of papers. He scrawls hurriedly, hunch-backed and tutting. Where to now?

Ok, now normally I would set up a vote. But we end up going to all three options anyways, so I'm just going to the one without people first and there will be a second vote to decide where we go next. To another bathroom!

quote:

Your paws move onto cool, smooth tile. The pattern on the floor is like the bathroom downstairs, and although this room is bigger, it looks basically the same: sink, bigger sink, fluff-clad toxic toilet. There are three times as many bottles and jars, but that's essentially it.

As you turn to head out, you hear a steady drip-drip. Turning back, you see a most cat-friendly tap—which is to say, the washer in it is clearly shot.

-I test it out. Sitting in sinks feels luxurious.
-I note it in my inner map of cat necessities.
-Plain old stainless-steel taps? What bloody cheapskates.

Ok, so now what? What do we do in this bathroom?

1. I test it out. Sitting in sinks feels luxurious.
2. I note it in my inner map of cat necessities.
3. Plain old stainless-steel taps? What bloody cheapskates.

Also, who do we want to visit first?
-Andre
-Claire

quote:

Cat Treats Acquired: 2
Mice Hunted: 0
Contempt: 41% Affection: 59%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 54% Demanding: 46%
Self-Interested: 55% Loyal: 45%
Feral: 53% Domesticated: 47%
Fun-Loving: 55% Comfort-Seeking: 45%
Logical: 45% Intuitive: 55%
Claire's Dislike: 34% Claire's Like: 66%
Andre's Dislike: 43% Andre's Like: 57%
Moon: is uneasy around you.
Bene: hasn't met you yet.
Maddox: hasn't met you yet.

...Huh. Thought that would boost logical. Weird.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. I note it in my inner map of cat necessities.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Test it out, then visit Andre.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Note in map, visit Andre first

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Cat in Sink, Sinks are awesome.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At least it was only a claw.

achtungnight posted:

Note in map, visit Andre first

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ugh, what cheapskates

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Cat in Sink, Sinks are awesome.

this

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sit in the sink, then visit Andre.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, with no votes for Claire, we'll definitely be visiting Andre. Only one person complained about what a cheapskate they were, and sitting in the sink barely ekes out a win with 4 votes to map's three.

quote:

Springing up and lapping at the tap, you hope that local plumbers are all stupidly expensive. When you're done, you just sit there with your eyes closed, enjoying the cool, smooth feel of porcelain. Eventually, though, you decide to scope out further luxuries. One leap, and you're back on the tiled floor, heading out into the hall.

Where to now?

Our sink-sitting is up to 2 now. I wonder how many we will sit in before the playthrough is over?

quote:

You sidle up to Andre's door, sliding yourself along its lacquered surface as you enter his room. Engrossed in whatever he's doing, he doesn't see you enter. A quick scan of the room reveals several electric guitars and one acoustic one. Heavy-looking black-and-orange boxy things are stacked up in the corner. They look like bigger versions of the thing he had downstairs. Amplifiers, you realize eventually—with netted fronts just right for scratching.

Slinking closer to his desk, you see a gray pallet of dials and knobs leaned up on its side. A screen and two small speakers have been pushed back against the wall as well. All to make space for an extensive spill of paper.

"Christ, you'd think I hadn't taught them anything," Andre mutters to himself, scrawling on one of the papers in red. His weary gaze then settles on you. "How did you get here? Can you fly a plane or something, Morgana?" He then mutters something not aimed at you about kiddie doors being useless if everyone in the house just leaves them open all the time. It does rob you of the credit for the task you undertook, but it's nice to know that sometimes it won't be as difficult. You're petted cursorily before he gets back to his grading. The sound of felt-tip scratching over paper reflects his stress. You:

-Jump into his lap for some human comfort.
-Sit on the paper he's reading so he has to pay me attention.
-Rub myself along his leg and purr, hoping to calm him.
-Sharpen my claws on Andre's precious amplifier netting.

Ok, so now we need to decide how to treat Andre. Remember, he doesn't like us as much as Claire. Do we:

1. Jump into his lap for some human comfort.
2. Sit on the paper he's reading so he has to pay me attention.
3. Rub myself along his leg and purr, hoping to calm him.
4. Sharpen my claws on Andre's precious amplifier netting.

quote:

Self-Interested: 55% Loyal: 45%
Fun-Loving: 50% Comfort-Seeking: 50%

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Everyone knows that Cats Sit On Your Homework

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

We lost a claw when (I suspect) we failed the Logic check at the gate. Our remaining claws need to be sharpened to compensate.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We need to get Andre's attention. Sit on his paperwork to start out. If more suggestions are needed, click this link. Note that scratching objects should be a last resort.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sit on the paper.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

"Help" him with his papers

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
He is doing something. Clearly we need to help. Sit on the paper

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Your papers, please

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Laps are warmer than homework.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
He seems frustrated. Let's help out by giving him something more beautiful to look at than papers.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lap time

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jump in lap. Give him a chance to earn our favor by delivering some pets.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Jump in lap. Laps are warm, papers are not.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Again, only one person wanted us to be aggressive and claw on things. Sitting in Andre's lap made a comeback with 4, but lying on the papers pulled through with 7 votes.

quote:

Andre sighs and puts his pen down, looking far too tired and fond of you to make you move.

"You want some attention, do you, Morgana?" He asks it like he's happy he figured it out—like the complexity of your gesture required some psychic ability. One of his smooth hands glides over your head, and he tugs an essay out from under you with the free one. You'd bail, but he's OK at multitasking, so you lap up the head rubs as he reads. Until…

...No really. It ends like that.

quote:

"No way." His hand drops away from your head as he erupts. "It's Beowulf, you idiot, not 'Bear Wolf.'" He throws the offending essay down suddenly enough to make you jump away. "And it's not a spell-check error if you've written the bloody thing by hand," he continues, as you step back hastily.

"You know what, Morgana?" says Andre. "I seriously cannot keep doing this." He leans back in his chair at a rather precarious angle to grab the acoustic guitar. His whole body relaxes once he has it in his lap.

"There is one way out of this rat race: music," he says—to himself, you assume, before he looks you directly in the eye and slaps the top of the guitar body with his palms. "We need a plan, puss. We need a hit." His eyes go wide as he says it, and he actually winks at you.

-Meow loudly and shamelessly to share my singing talent with Andre.
-Play bat-the-flailing-string with the string ends on Andre's guitar.
-Yawn and leave the room. I'm not spending my time in the company of a total loser.
-Attempt to comfort this poor, possibly mentally unstable man by purring.

Fun fact, Beowolf actually translates to 'bee hunter' which is another term for bear. So that person wasn't entirely incorrect! Just...mostly. Anyways, how do we react to to Andre's desire to play music with/for us? Do we:

1. Meow loudly and shamelessly to share my singing talent with Andre.
2. Play bat-the-flailing-string with the string ends on Andre's guitar.
3. Yawn and leave the room. I'm not spending my time in the company of a total loser.
4. Attempt to comfort this poor, possibly mentally unstable man by purring.

quote:

Self-Interested: 59% Loyal: 41%

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1. Cats can sing. Some cats can even carry a tune.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Comfort him. Maybe he won't have to play his "music" then,

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Meow like our lives depend on it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Purr until his dreams are mush.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The dude kept us stuck in a box - okay, fine. Since we're apparently not carrying a grudge, we'll carry a tune. Mi-mi-mi-mi-miiiiiiiiiiiiiaow.

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAeB5Q4VWGg

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sing along with our meows, the songs of our people.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bat at strings

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dont be mean to me posted:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My experience with my cat says that cats enjoy a good sing-a-long.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
SING HIM THE SONG OF OUR PEOPLE

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
And the results are in, with a sing-along with Andre pulling through with 9 votes! Now, I imagine our song to go a little like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xleUZQVw3A

quote:

"Yes, yes!" Andre enthuses. "You do know your stuff, Morgana." He nods cryptically. "I need an ally in this you know. Claire over there…she's great, but she thinks I'm a dreamer."

He tears his gaze from you and transfers it to the fretboard of his guitar before playing a quick riff. He looks back at you briefly and grins before immersing himself completely in his playing. So completely, in fact, that eventually there's little point in sticking around. You head back out into the upstairs hallway.

Where to now?

Well, at least Andre likes our singing.

quote:

It's easy enough to slip into Claire's room unnoticed. She's wearing headphones, and her cropped hair sticks out at odd angles from where she's clenched it all up in one fist. She's talking hurriedly and waving her free hand in what looks like frustration. On the screen in front of her, a woman with a frighteningly withered, hollow face moves her lips. She makes no sound.

"Look, Mum, you can't say you're on my side here when you don't even care about it," Claire sighs, letting her arm drop. The face on the screen purses its lips before forming more words you can't hear. The movement of this "mum" woman's jaw is quite unnerving—like Claire is engaging with someone who has come back from the dead.

You sneak farther in along the edge of Claire's study, dodging the piles upon piles of books, papers, folders, files, half-empty boxes of printer paper. There aren't even walls, really—just floor-to-ceiling shelves holding more of the same thing in rows. This is definitely a person short on time.

"Look, I've seen him kick the poor creature on several occasions," Claire continues emphatically. A short silence is followed by: "No, Andre wouldn't. He insists on being nice to the guy 'cause he's part of some lovely record conglomerate."

The starved-looking woman raises her eyebrows, sneering before producing more words. You stare up at Claire from below. A printer light behind her flashes green.

Well isn't that interesting. I wonder who this guy is and just what he's kicking...

quote:

"Helmut," says Claire. "The guy's name is Helmut, Mum. He's been our neighbor for over five years now, and he's a cat basher." She shakes her head and suddenly notices you staring. "Whoa, where did you come from?" She does a little jump. The face on-screen goes sour and makes more words. "No, Mum, it's our new cat," she explains, looking sideways at you. "One of us must have left the child gate open again. It shouldn't happen, but it does." Claire does look slightly calmer, now that the initial shock of seeing you is gone. She turns back to her mother, her voice a bit less worn. "My point was, Mum, you actually can do something. We've managed to make one very lovely cat's life a bit better." She smiles, leaning sideways to give you a cursory stroke. "People love to say 'What can you do?' as an excuse for doing nothing."

Claire's mum must have asked more about you, because you hear Claire say "rescue cat" followed quickly by the worrying combination of the words "trial" and "basis."

"No, Mum, I didn't 'bother going to a breeder,' as you put it," Claire says. "That's the whole point we want to make." There's more sighing until Claire says, "Mum, look. I really have to go. I've got a teleconference in a few minutes about the party leadership, and I need to get my head together." Claire reaches a finger toward the keyboard but stops short and flops her head forward. "No, I'm the leading candidate. Me. Thanks so much for your vote of confidence."

Claire stabs at a key, and the withered face vanishes. Her head is still bowed, and she takes a few deep breaths before looking back up at the screen. She begins to set up the teleconference.

-Leave the room. Politics, schmolitics.
-Paw at her leg to demand some attention.
-Sit at her feet and observe quietly.
-Prance across the keyboard. Those buttons do stuff on the screen. What fun!
-Attempt to comfort her with head nuzzles.

Ok, so now we have to decide how we feel about politics. We already like Claire a lot, but how do we feel about her work? Shall we:

1. Leave the room. Politics, schmolitics.
2. Paw at her leg to demand some attention.
3. Sit at her feet and observe quietly.
4. Prance across the keyboard. Those buttons do stuff on the screen. What fun!
5. Attempt to comfort her with head nuzzles

quote:

Manipulative: 49% Demanding: 51%
Self-Interested: 59% Loyal: 41%
Andre's Dislike: 39% Andre's Like: 61%

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Cats love keyboards. Which can be really bloody annoying.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
She's trying to do something on the computer. We have to help. Setup the teleconference for her using the keyboard. She'll love it and us.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Paw at her for attention. She spent a lot of time talking about us but not at us, which is very rude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
As a writer and cat 'owner', I know that cats are keyboard experts. Invoke this power! :D

• Locked thread