Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

Ymmv. I lasered my face and was clear for about 18 months, but now coarse white (eg untreatable) hairs have spring up all over my face and I have to do electrolysis to clear them eventually. As with most transition related stuff, moderate your expectations and don't expect to have the results of people talking about their excellent results online.

Yeah I'm crossing my fingers but I know there are no guarantees 😐

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ciaphas posted:

but yeah i guess mucking about with a home kit on my upper leg or something won't hurt nothin'

oh it'll hurt something. you can be sure of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

actually bought a cheap little wax kit on the way home from work and tried it on a couple small areas that i know from experience are sensitive. it stung, and i imagine having it done repeatedly would be pretty bloody annoying, but actually "hurt"? nah, guess i lucked out on the pain threshold front :v:

i like the look of it a lot though. think i might take a splash on that tria thing, got a bonus recently and they sell em at a nearby Ulta. (probably not the first cisgendered dude to buy one but hah that'll still be awkward)

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Ciaphas posted:

actually bought a cheap little wax kit on the way home from work and tried it on a couple small areas that i know from experience are sensitive. it stung, and i imagine having it done repeatedly would be pretty bloody annoying, but actually "hurt"? nah, guess i lucked out on the pain threshold front :v:

i like the look of it a lot though. think i might take a splash on that tria thing, they sell em at a nearby Ulta. (probably not the first cisgendered dude to buy one but hah that'll still be awkward)

no one cares. and so what if they do, they aren't paying your bills.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ultravoices posted:

no one cares. and so what if they do, they aren't paying your bills.

i know but being worried about being awkward is like my raison d'etre, if i weren't i'd literally pop out of existence like god in the hitchhiker's guide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cashiers have absolutely no shits to give about what you're buying

they see a thousand different people and ten thousand different products a weekend and the checkout process is completely done on autopilot, barely registering what is happening while daydreaming about going home and smoking the hugest spliff

also twenty minutes before you came through to buy your leg wax they checked out a 70 year old man buying a zucchini and a box of condoms and a #10 can of vaseline

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i know but being worried about being awkward is like my raison d'etre, if i weren't i'd literally pop out of existence like god in the hitchhiker's guide

lean into the awkwardness. things which are potentially awkward lose their power when you acknowledge that they are in fact awkward.

but they don't really care beyond maybe a raised eyebrow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jerks didn't have the drat thing anyway despite saying they did on the phone. guess Amazon gets my money instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway if you are embarrassed to buy something girly then buy it with a birthday card.

then they'll think you're just that weird guy who buys joke presents for people instead of [whatever you're worried about]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaman Linavi posted:

i have a large number of moles in all shapes and sizes, is this laser poo poo safe for that? like i tried using some cream stuff on my chest and it made a few hurt and turn red (and also i got some on my nips which was even worse)
cream works great on my pits though

definitely don't hit dark moles with the laser, they're real heavy in melanin and will absorb far more of the laser energy than the rest of your skin and probably far more than is safe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultravoices posted:

lean into the awkwardness. things which are potentially awkward lose their power when you acknowledge that they are in fact awkward.

but they don't really care beyond maybe a raised eyebrow.

yeah i was fuckin' terrified to buy girly poo poo until i forced myself to just fuckin' do it and oh look the person running the cash register doesn't give a gently caress because they've been working 8 hours and their mind is somewhere else while they mechanistically move the thing across the scanner and put it in the bag. they've already forgotten me the minute i walk out the door

most that ever happened was someone tried to be cute once and ask "oh is that for your girlfriend" and i just gave them a disdainful look and a heavy "no."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

definitely don't hit dark moles with the laser, they're real heavy in melanin and will absorb far more of the laser energy than the rest of your skin and probably far more than is safe

eh still about the worst thing that'll happen is that you'll give yourself a small localized burn.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Ben Dela creme is my girlfriend

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

while i'm feeling introspective pre-caffeine i wanna say thanks to cis autodrag and everyone else itt for all the information and generally being an encouraging bunch. wouldn't expect that on sa let alone in a "fyad lite" dedicated to computer nerds/touchers

even if i'm not trans--pretty sure i'm ok with being/presenting as a dude, despite hating body hair, yuck--it's at least been enlightening to think more consciously of, well, what i think about myself, and it has more certainly been eye opening to have both the day to day and long term problems y'all face spelled out to me

so thanks for that :cheers:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also special thanks to cis autodrag for the animorphs reference

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

also special thanks to cis autodrag for the animorphs reference

Um, I was watching drag race friend

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the yeerk pool thing I meant

or did I miss another reference

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

the yeerk pool thing I meant

or did I miss another reference

Lol, oh yeah. I thought you were talking about my last post.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Btw I watched Paris is Burning a while ago and it's really good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

Lol, oh yeah. I thought you were talking about my last post.

oops. one of those weird mental hangups of mine, i always get worried when i think a joke or reference or whatever has just whooshed right over my head :v:

you're starting to feel better, I hope?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

oops. one of those weird mental hangups of mine, i always get worried when i think a joke or reference or whatever has just whooshed right over my head :v:

you're starting to feel better, I hope?

Yeah, sutures are out, now it's just waiting for things to stretch and settle the rest of the way. It hurts but not remotely as bad as before.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So one thing they don't tell you: while your skin is stretching its really sensitive and regular clothes will make your nipples peel from the chafing. I ended up going to lane Bryant and buying a couple really loose bralettes to have a softer layer that would hold still and be soft.

Fun story I'm a size 16 or 18 depending on brand and I had to get 26/28 bralettes to not be squeezing my titties.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

apologies for continuing the laser hair removal derail but i got my tria 4x this morning

predictably i was dead wrong about wax being a good litmus, i peaked at 3 out of 5 on the power setting before i kept flinching from the snap

it's such a brief snap though that i kept losing track of where i was so despite 400 pulses between both my upper legs i'm confident i didn't do a good job

oh well, see how it reacts over the next few months of biweekly zaps i suppose, spent $500 on this drat thing and I'm gonna use it!!!

(e) maybe i shoulda put on some aloe vera or something first but the instructions said dry skin

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Don't put anything on your skin beforehand. That's infection city.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This is a very informative thread, thanks for making it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
got hit with a "let's be friends", which i have complicated feelings about. i don't feel too bad because our last couple dates were kinda flat but it's still disappointing. ah well.

tbf i'd be happy just hanging out platonically, i have very few lgbt friends irl that are close enough to hang out with

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Improbable Lobster posted:

got hit with a "let's be friends", which i have complicated feelings about. i don't feel too bad because our last couple dates were kinda flat but it's still disappointing. ah well.

tbf i'd be happy just hanging out platonically, i have very few lgbt friends irl that are close enough to hang out with

Hey, that's progress! Especially with how anxious you were ahead of time, it's good he liked you enough to be friends even if you didn't spark romantically.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i know how excited you were to date him, but i hope you guys still hang out and have fun together, and maybe get acquainted with each-others friends too!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

agh I'm going to the pride parade but I dont want to be out in 39'C weather. *sob*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we were talking about terfs and my wife had the most insightful thought: terfs are practicing patriarchy by giving into a fundamentally male conception of womanhood. they are exclusively defining a woman by her vagina and her ability to reproduce (e.g. "you've never experienced the pain of menstrual cramps"). this is not that far from the patriarchal definition, where women who are reproductively or sexually disabled are essentially used up dregs of little worth. they've simply uncritically extended this toxic thinking to actual possession of a vagina rather than its mere accessibility and usefulness for sex.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
every year since i've come out i've been working during pride so i'm gonna actually try to make it this year

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we wanted to go this year but it's gonna be while i'm likely to be recovering from butt surgery so no go

next year ima be there in a crop top and booty shorts though, mark my words

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
oh man i wonder if my dipshit government will finally have legalized weed by the time pride comes round

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
aww, legalization will be a month too late :canada:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

we were talking about terfs and my wife had the most insightful thought: terfs are practicing patriarchy by giving into a fundamentally male conception of womanhood. they are exclusively defining a woman by her vagina and her ability to reproduce (e.g. "you've never experienced the pain of menstrual cramps"). this is not that far from the patriarchal definition, where women who are reproductively or sexually disabled are essentially used up dregs of little worth. they've simply uncritically extended this toxic thinking to actual possession of a vagina rather than its mere accessibility and usefulness for sex.

i'm reading eve sedgwck's "between men" (thanks library loan!) and there is a passage in the forward which i think addresses this in a way:

"Implicitly or explicitly, radical feminism tends to deny that the meaning of gender or sexuality has ever significantly changed; and more damagingly, it can make future change appear impossible, or necessarily apocalyptic, even though desirable."

more or less that the existence of trans people as real lived fact blows up their worldview that the categories of women and men were ever thus and ever shall be.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

agh I'm going to the pride parade but I dont want to be out in 39'C weather. *sob*

a parasol and a refreshing adult lemonade slushy can make even the most incandescent parade day tolerable.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ultravoices posted:

a parasol and a refreshing adult lemonade slushy can make even the most incandescent parade day tolerable.

It’s-16C here and that sounds lovely yet.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

like half my friends are sex or relationship pals that ran their course or didn't have a spark and downshifted successfully to being Good Friends. it's awesome.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ultravoices posted:

like half my friends are sex or relationship pals that ran their course or didn't have a spark and downshifted successfully to being Good Friends. it's awesome.

fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we went to pride last year and were really disappointed because at least 50% of the floats in the parade were just banks advertising how much they absolutely love all your gay money, please come give all your gay money to us thank you. in addition there was a stage show hosted by a drag queen that made me super uncomfortable and talked about how he wanted to rape audience members who were cute. it felt like the whole thing was some big weird gay minstrel show for straight people to feel better about themselves