Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JBP posted:

So what am I meant to do about Kroq-Gar as the tomb kings?

Grab Liche Priests with the Lore of Nekehara and keep roiding your skeletons up with AP damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JBP posted:

So what am I meant to do about Kroq-Gar as the tomb kings?

As Arkhan I signed a non-aggression pact with him and we're trading and fighting Clan Mors together. Actually only he's fighting Queek, as I don't border the rats, I am only in it for the relation bonus.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rookersh posted:

I think the bigger problems is the TK campaign is uh, not set up well.

Like I get it, you can do well with Settra. But despite the Settra hype, Settra isn't fun. He's a chariot focused dude with lovely initial units who can hold battles by himself, but you don't want that. So half your game is fighting poo poo that smacks you around and you win a ton of battles with just him/kitty/chariots. And that works for awhile, but eh. And then it's just TK fights forever while you slowly get more constructs which takes forever because you have to fight dozens more TK or....

Khalida has a rougher start but a funner growth pattern.

Arkhan has an absurdly easy start with tons of fun stuff to do and a bunch of cool spells. He only starts getting hard to exact moment you switch over to constructs which works perfectly.

Khatep is loving hilarious because despite how bad that matchup should be, it really isn't and you can really gently caress the DElves with Khatep's spells/units. And once you get going to get to fight Tretch super quickly ( because Tretch rips apart southern Naggarond, it's beautiful ) and you get a bunch of varied fights with basically all the core WH2 races but HElves. It's just a harder start, but still a very fun game.

You also get a lot of weird poo poo the game doesn't bother to explain to you. Like Entomb Beneath the Sands let's you get global recruitment, and your global recruitment is still free.

The whole thing is once you start going you GET GOING fast and then become rear end in a top hat faction, beating up the other kids around you.

Yeah, the difficulty with Setra isn't the TK army. It is that you start at war with multiple factions and are surrounded by more that hate you and will declare on your quickly. All the while you are hard limited to 1 stack.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Been itching to play some TK but it sounds like it might be best to wait for a patch or two.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Been itching to play some TK but it sounds like it might be best to wait for a patch or two.

They're completely fine, at least in the campaign. I'm pretty sure that people who are having a hard time just aren't taking advantage of their roster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just swarmed him with four stacks.

Also I just made Settra a vanguard and charge bonus item lmao. Whoever complained that he can't vanguard with the chariots, there's an item for that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They have weak troops and are tough at the start but collecting books is more chaosy than chaos since you just send armies across the earth to burn all in their path and once you get you book, you ride home and forget that you ever went to that region.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

They're completely fine, at least in the campaign. I'm pretty sure that people who are having a hard time just aren't taking advantage of their roster.

the very start is extremely a slog. the second you get your first ushabti building out, everything changes in a huge way

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's cool how the basic skels get beat up by basic skaven. some real cool necromancy you got there...not!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
fighting delves as khatep was fine once I got some chariots, though I wince at the thought of having to fight any armored troops or good cav with TK t2 units

lore of nehekara seems pretty mediocre minus dessication which I overcasted at every opportunity. that's a spicy debuff for sure

e: it is pretty funny how a dreadlord will smack down anything you throw at it prior to t3 except your starting hierotitan

Smith Comma John fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 26, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
arkhan the blacks basic undead additions really do help.

I've never seen undead dog get this much work.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, playing more with the campaign, it does seem like *something* that allows limited recruitment of fun units in the extremely early game would help. I do still generally progress and win fights, but I really am doing it with nothing but 2 flavors of melee skeletons+beatstick lords and heroes sometimes.

Any number of things could improve this, but even just a bit more access to low tier units from the main settlement structure itself or something would be nice. Move Warriors to Barracks T1 and Tomb Guard (swords) to T2 maybe? Hero recruitment capacity seems crazy valuable because no structure is required to recruit the hero, but the techs/skills that add unit capacity probably can't be used in the early game.

Maybe this is a factor of Khalida/Khatep both needing to immediately take offensive action against larger settlements? Maybe I'm too agressive and shouldn't be trying to take major settlements that early?

BurlapNapkin fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 26, 2018

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Maybe 1 or 2 extra starting units. iirc every faction gets 3 additional units in Mortal Empires except for the Tomb Kings. One of the first things I checked was to see if their bonus units were different in ME, but nope

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The biggest problem is this is not a traditional army and fights closer to bretonia where your linemen are going to die, might hold a line, probably won't get kills, and it is all about utilizing your second tier of units.

Your light skirmishers and archers are your damage. You can not rely on your skeleton infantry to do anything more than hold the line or delay the enemy. Even the good ones.

Even the stats on the ubshati are not great except for bows.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Third World Reggin posted:

The biggest problem is this is not a traditional army and fights closer to bretonia where your linemen are going to die, might hold a line, probably won't get kills, and it is all about utilizing your second tier of units.

Your light skirmishers and archers are your damage. You can not rely on your skeleton infantry to do anything more than hold the line or delay the enemy. Even the good ones.

Even the stats on the ubshati are not great except for bows.

The problem I run into is that when all I have is 2 nehekara warriors, 4 archers, 2 chariots and a pile of worthless garbage those second tier units don't really get to do much work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NeurosisHead posted:

The problem I run into is that when all I have is 2 nehekara warriors, 4 archers, 2 chariots and a pile of worthless garbage those second tier units don't really get to do much work.

You need to get more archers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I kind of enjoyed one fight early where I had to make my dudes work super hard and all the wins felt clutch. You need to throw waves at things, but if you lose and your lord dies you've hosed yourself which isn't great considering you need to mob things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also against lizards ushabti are extremely underwhelming

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JBP posted:

I kind of enjoyed one fight early where I had to make my dudes work super hard and all the wins felt clutch. You need to throw waves at things, but if you lose and your lord dies you've hosed yourself which isn't great considering you need to mob things.

Good thing your idiot skeletons are totally disposable.

E:

Turn 10, Top Knotz have been destroyed by the unstoppable strategy of

turn off the TV posted:

Spam more archers and use cat to kill everything.

turn off the TV posted:

You need to get more archers.

turn off the TV posted:

Get archers, spam archers.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 26, 2018

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Making the Lore of Nehekhara buff spells AoE (or at least AoE when overcast like most other lores) would be nice

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Grumio posted:

Making the Lore of Nehekhara buff spells AoE (or at least AoE when overcast like most other lores) would be nice

I honestly have no idea why this isn't the case for at least some of the spells. As it stands it's a lore built around buffing that is outdone by all the lores with AOE buffs that still get other good spells.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If TK Skeletons are seriously worse than VC Skeletons that needs to be rectified asap. Its not like pumping up TK Skeletons to that level would make them any less useless chaff but then maybe they could successfully fight Skaven and Empire Spearmen for long enough to pound them into the dirt with Ushabti/Warsphinx/Hierotitan/Tomb Scorpion/Settra.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Good thing your idiot skeletons are totally disposable.

E:

Turn 10, Top Knotz have been destroyed by the unstoppable strategy of

Yeah but gently caress adding to the gunline strategy of WH2 in general. I'm bad with chariots but I'd like to see some better variants at higher tiers, and having yet another faction built around tarpitting with line infantry and killing with archers sucks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Solutions:

Lore of Nehekara has each spell get a greatly reduced aura effect as a passive. Casting that particular spell gives you an AoE buff around the target as well as pumping the casters aura effectiveness on par with the spell. So now all those spells affect a lot more units.

Unlocking each dynasty gives basic skeletons +5 leadership, melee defense and magic resistance.

Basic skeleton units can be built beyond your recruitment capacity in exchange for - 10 public order that turn. However you cannot summon more if you are in negative public order.

Friendly army present in a territory gives that settlement +1 unit of basic skeletons for every positive public order.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AnEdgelord posted:

If TK Skeletons are seriously worse than VC Skeletons that needs to be rectified asap. Its not like pumping up TK Skeletons to that level would make them any less useless chaff but then maybe they could successfully fight Skaven and Empire Spearmen for long enough to pound them into the dirt with Ushabti/Warsphinx/Hierotitan/Tomb Scorpion/Settra.

The two aren't really comparable, TK skeletons fill the same role as peasants and zombies.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but gently caress adding to the gunline strategy of WH2 in general. I'm bad with chariots but I'd like to see some better variants at higher tiers, and having yet another faction built around tarpitting with line infantry and killing with archers sucks.

You're in luck, because the rest of the Tomb Kings roster is full of giant gently caress off monsters. All of my battles against Mazdamundi in my Khalida save have turned into massive clusterfuck moshpits of giant snakes, dinosaurs and scorpions.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

turn off the TV posted:

No, until this patch all of the difficulties were buggy in one way or another, so that the harder difficulties were significantly easier than easy.

My bad, I played very hard on the strategic layer and normal on the tactical layer for that very reason! I should have specified. I've also up until a week ago only played hard and I still had the same problem.

I find every new campaign really interesting and fun for maybe 20-30 turns and then it just degenerates.

Edit: Tomb Kings have the additional problem that their T1 units are garbage and the only reason you can do anything at all is your single overpowered construct. I think this is why Khalida has one of the best starts, her constructs aren't as good and she makes T1 archers usable.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Won my Khalida ME game, now doing a Wurrzag game to try fighting against the Tomb Kings. One thing seems very important: if you're going to conquer the Tomb Kings, kill them early. They're not hard to roll over shortly after the game starts, but if given the chance to build up they become much harder targets - they're more extreme about this than any other race in my experience.

Khatep's going completely batshit in Naggarond and Ulthuan and boy am I not looking forward to taking him on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tomb kings and beast men. Best of friends.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KPC_Mammon posted:

My bad, I played very hard on the strategic layer and normal on the tactical layer for that very reason! I should have specified. I've also up until a week ago only played hard and I still had the same problem.

I find every new campaign really interesting and fun for maybe 20-30 turns and then it just degenerates.

According to their patch notes even normal had problems, at least on the campaign map it was using the wrong personality settings. Just complete :psyduck:.

But yeah, the game has a problem with snowballing. At least in my Khalida Vortex campaign it's always a shitshow whenever the Lizardmen show up with a bunch of Temple Guard, because as far as I can tell there just isn't a good hard counter to them in the TK army.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

According to their patch notes even normal had problems, at least on the campaign map it was using the wrong personality settings. Just complete :psyduck:.

But yeah, the game has a problem with snowballing. At least in my Khalida Vortex campaign it's always a shitshow whenever the Lizardmen show up with a bunch of Temple Guard, because as far as I can tell there just isn't a good hard counter to them in the TK army.

Haven't tried them yet (and also haven't fought lizards), but think someone was saying scorpions are fairly good at taking them on - or other halberd infantry for that matter. Their attacks fling infantry around so much, and they have so much invulnerable time from their burrowing and the like, that infantry just gets wrecked since they can't get hits in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

The two aren't really comparable, TK skeletons fill the same role as peasants and zombies.

You're in luck, because the rest of the Tomb Kings roster is full of giant gently caress off monsters. All of my battles against Mazdamundi in my Khalida save have turned into massive clusterfuck moshpits of giant snakes, dinosaurs and scorpions.

VC skellies fill the same role as peasants and zombies too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Ushabti Shoota Boyz?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ravenfood posted:

That's like... the underlying gameplay of WHFB in general though

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ravenfood posted:

After hearing about the 12 model chariot units I initially hoped that the faction would support actual bronze age Egyptian style warfare with a heavy focus on chariots.

I get that mirroring the tabletop's "generally underwhelming and bad" niche is valid too but I would really like to play a bronze age total war. Skeleman bronze age total war would be even better.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've gotten 200+ kills with chariots on the reg. You have an anvil, and you smash a weak part of their line and destroy it, or smash their ranged units, or smash some isolated unit. You don't run them straight into braced infantry to get surrounded and bogged down. I've got 8 in Settra's stack and zero ranged units.

Where they really suck is sieges, tho. Oi oi oi oi oi.

e: I want an ushabti/ chariot army for him, and then I noticed that there's a special lord you can get that gets a +8 MA for ushabti and now that will forever haunt me, until I get enough of them to have two stacks of them.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 26, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

VC skellies fill the same role as peasants and zombies too.

Ehh kind of not as much. TK skeletons are free and don't need recruitment buildings. They're basically tier 0, with archers being T1.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, the TK lords are kind of punk rear end bitches. I was expecting them to be like SFO vampires or something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah early game VC your lords are insane at least, TK don't really get an interesting anvil for a while; especially if you're bad at chariot micro

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would be nice if you didn't need the building related to a unit to be able to build it, allowing any capacity increases to be immediately put to use.
Get a lord that enables +2 ushabti? you can recruit them now, level your necrotech up high enough? you get 1 hierotitan available.

If you don't have the building related to it, you can only recruit it from the global pool, so a +1 hierotitan capacity would take 6 turns to replace each time, ushabti 4 turns each time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If you use global recruiting at the same time as normal recruiting you can get back up to a full stack a bit faster. Then you can suicide thousands of skeletons to get where you need to go. I have battle markers recording 7000+ casualty battles in some provinces, from the first 20 turns. Once you get 3-4 stacks it gets easier to just pile on with more and more skellingtons. Coming up with the money is hard but at least you probably won’t be having any public order problems so if you can just avoid getting sacked, every province you capture intact is a great return on investment.