Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hospital fire kills more than 30. :(

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deadly-hospital-fire-south-korea-sejong-hospital-miryang-today-2018-01-26/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember only like a year ago there was a deadly fire that killed a bunch of olds in a nursing home in korea as well, I remember being really mad because it described the whole thing in detail and it was an absolute inexcusable failure in the very basics of both fire safety and nursing care.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I remember only like a year ago there was a deadly fire that killed a bunch of olds in a nursing home in korea as well, I remember being really mad because it described the whole thing in detail and it was an absolute inexcusable failure in the very basics of both fire safety and nursing care.

Unless you're in a large public building built after 2010 this doesn't exist, and even then it's iffy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antares posted:

Are there good periodicals with English editions? The only recommendations I've had in the past were joongang daily & Korea times, which seemed pretty light in general.

Unfortunately they're about all that exist. I don't know even know where you'd find an English print edition of a Korean newspaper outside of a hotel lobby. You're lucky to even have that much- they make those for Korean people trying to learn English, not foreigners, so simplicity is baked in as a concept.

Baronjutter posted:

The sauna incident in Jecheon was even more recent than that. Safety standards in South Korea were on the backburner for the last two governments. A new sprinkler law that might have helped the situation here was unfortunately still in the grace period.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/CurtMills/status/958082178054836227

Keep in mind that this article only claims that Bolton may be a leading candidate - from what I've read, most of it is just praise from former administrative officials, and not even any hints about replacing McMaster

Of course, everyone is freaking out

https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/958109219882000385

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
In other news, what was predicted has come to pass, what goes in the mouth shall leave through the rear end.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/KingstonAReif/status/958480550632796160

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

after hearing 3/4 of congress standing and chanting "USA" to donald trump i hope we do get loving nuked

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/958550703575715841

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So we're pretty much going to go 4 years with no ambassador to South Korea aren't we?

Edit: If the above post is true then I feel that's a miscalculation on Kim's part. I see it strengthening the hand of those in the White House arguing to strike North Korea before it's weapons can reach the US.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 31, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

If anything, the US becomes more likely to shoot first in that case.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Antares posted:

after hearing 3/4 of congress standing and chanting "USA" to donald trump i hope we do get loving nuked

Bloody hell did this really happen?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yup.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

suck my woke dick posted:

A nuclear strike would be great for my career prospects as I am exactly the sort of entitled white idiot with no relevant experience that Republicans like putting in charge of rebuilding a country.

So you know, fingers crossed.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

suck my woke dick posted:

I doubt a military parade would be enough for the U.S. to strike North Korea

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
A military parade + Kim calling trump a pussy on fox and friends.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whoa, who gave you that avatar Willo? I agree with the sentiment, and find it rather insane how supposed Korea experts have been saying that for literally decades now, but as far as I can tell you're not an especially strong proponent of that viewpoint. Actually reviewing your posts in this thread it's not clear you believe that at all, unlike some posters who come to mind.

Unless it's supposed to be about war alarmism and not North Korea's imminent structural collapse. I mean I can kind of get the first one but the joke works much better with the second one.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willo567 posted:

No one is going to attack North Korea because of a parade. The point is that provocations like this provide a pattern of behavior for hawks in Trump's White House to use to sell a war. We're in a very strange situation where North Korea has to be the adult in the room, because the people on the other side of the table are basically looking for any excuse to start a war and the person with the power to make a final decision is too stupid to ignore them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

It would be a great place for an decapitation strike though. Kim sitting on the podium would be a perfect target for a JDAM. Not to mention it would probably take out a large part of his senior military leadership too.

Of course the nukes would probably still fly after that. Im sure there's a policy in North Korea to launch everything if Kim is taken out.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

It would be a great place for an decapitation strike though. Kim sitting on the podium would be a perfect target for a JDAM. Not to mention it would probably take out a large part of his senior military leadership too.

Americans definitely aren't a bunch of fascists who openly idealize assassinating the head of state for a country they dislike

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Didn't see it mentioned that Victor Cha, long expected to be the ambassador to SK, was withdrawn from consideration. From what I gather he was widely considered as 'sane.'

He then published this editorial:

Victor Cha: Giving North Korea a ‘bloody nose’ carries a huge risk to Americans posted:

North Korea, if not stopped, will build an arsenal with multiple nuclear missiles meant to threaten the U.S. homeland and blackmail us into abandoning our allies in Asia. North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un will sell these weapons to state and nonstate actors, and he will inspire other rogue actors who want to undermine the U.S.-backed postwar order. These are real and unprecedented threats. But the answer is not, as some Trump administration officials have suggested, a preventive military strike. Instead, there is a forceful military option available that can address the threat without escalating into a war that would likely kill tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Americans.

When I was under consideration for a position in this administration, I shared some of these views.

I empathize with the hope, espoused by some Trump officials, that a military strike would shock Pyongyang into appreciating U.S. strength, after years of inaction, and force the regime to the denuclearization negotiating table. I also hope that if North Korea did retaliate militarily, the United States could control the escalation ladder to minimize collateral damage and prevent a collapse of financial markets. In either event, the rationale is that a strike that demonstrates U.S. resolve to pursue “all options” is necessary to give the mercurial Kim a “bloody nose.” Otherwise he will remain undeterred in his nuclear ambitions.

Yet, there is a point at which hope must give in to logic. If we believe that Kim is undeterrable without such a strike, how can we also believe that a strike will deter him from responding in kind? And if Kim is unpredictable, impulsive and bordering on irrational, how can we control the escalation ladder, which is premised on an adversary’s rational understanding of signals and deterrence?

My question is if it was this argument that led to his rejection, or if he was rejected because of his pro-trade stance with SK and this editorial is an effort to continue the bluff of the hypothetical 'bloody nose' strike.

My guess is that the 'bloody nose' strike idea is entirely a bluff and that military leaders are gambling on Trump's reputation for unpredictability and lack of concern for the lives of non-Americans to make it more convincing, and that Cha was rejected because he pointed out that abrogating our trade agreement with SK is moronic, but then wrote this editorial in an effort to make it seem that the bluff could be a real thing.

Of course if Bolton ends up in the administration, who knows.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I missed this Myers interview last month but posting in case anyone is interested:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2018/01/the_problem_with_south_korea_yes_south_korea.html

A quote:

quote:

Pyongyang has been listening to American bluster for exactly half a century now, since the USS Pueblo was taken with impunity in 1968. Not once in Kim Jong-un’s lifetime has the U.S. done anything to North Korea beyond imposing sanctions the Chinese have undermined. The very phrase to tweet a threat is unserious; the medium is the message in a very bad way. Besides, whenever Trump says something tough, his own officials and generals promptly relativize it, and the U.S. media acts as if he were the whole cause of the nuclear crisis. The impression the North Koreans get is of a weak, unpopular leader, a divided administration, and an America completely ignorant of their drive to unify the peninsula. Trump’s rhetoric has also encouraged sympathy with Pyongyang in South Korea, where people balk at harsh criticism of their ethnic brethren. There were some very grumpy faces in South Korea’s National Assembly when Trump spoke out there against the Kim regime's human rights abuses. Having said all that, I think his unpredictability probably makes the North Koreans nervous; they might well have engaged in more dangerous provocations had he not been elected.
He also has two new blog posts, one on why North Korea isn't Stalinist, and another on South Korean opinion polling, but this gets into the weeds a bit. "I know I’ll harden my reputation for curmudgeonliness..."

http://sthelepress.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

"I know I’ll harden my reputation for curmudgeonliness..."
Hah! He's just polishing a diamond at this point.

Edit: In the interests of saying something substantive, the issue I take with Myers' argument is that Pyongyang may very well read the U.S. as not giving a poo poo about any lives that aren't American lives, giving rise to the belief that artillery batteries aimed at Seoul aren't enough. Even in Cha's editorial, the relatively tiny number of Americans living in South Korea come before the millions of people living in the Seoul region.

Speaking of North Korea vis-a-vis Stalinism, Myers objects to the assumption that North Korea is a police state on the grounds that they don't have the resources to have a huge number of police officers in proportion to the general population. But Bradley wrote a lot about how heavily policed and politicized the DPRK's schools and workplaces have been historically. Is there information showing that that's changed a great deal in the past few decades?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 1, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

Hah! He's just polishing a diamond at this point.

Edit: In the interests of saying something substantive, the issue I take with Myers' argument is that Pyongyang may very well read the U.S. as not giving a poo poo about any lives that aren't American lives, giving rise to the belief that artillery batteries aimed at Seoul aren't enough.

But of course they aren't enough? And of course the Trump administration of all people is least going to care about lives, period, let alone non-American lives.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/959095018907668481

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel as though most of the blame can be placed on the Trump administration, but part of me thinks that these nuclear "experts" telling people how likely war with North Korea is and how the administration isn't bluffing doesn't help matters either

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's a weird balance between people rightly pointing out the idea is terrible seems to be in the cards, and people who are trying to make it seem like it's in the cards because they want the bluff to be believable. (I really think that McMaster is bluffing.)

Rogin is sort of correct in that the more this goes on, the more likely miscalculations will be, because we are purposefully obscuring our actual strategy. But it's not the fault of people who look at what is being said and point out it would be terrible, they can't be expected to do otherwise.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Wait, we have an actual strategy here? :confused:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Some Guy TT posted:

Whoa, who gave you that avatar Willo? I agree with the sentiment, and find it rather insane how supposed Korea experts have been saying that for literally decades now, but as far as I can tell you're not an especially strong proponent of that viewpoint. Actually reviewing your posts in this thread it's not clear you believe that at all, unlike some posters who come to mind.

Unless it's supposed to be about war alarmism and not North Korea's imminent structural collapse. I mean I can kind of get the first one but the joke works much better with the second one.

it's willo, it's about alarmism

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's nonsense to blame pundits and experts for their hot takes on the situation, because the fact that people would be panicking over a potential confrontation is something that the White House should have considered when pursuing any kind of aggressive strategy. If Kim's regime is unstable enough to trigger a war because someone on Twitter suggests that the US is going to strike first then it was a loving grave miscalculation on Trump's part to "negotiate" in a way that makes it look to outside observers like we're going to start a war.

I don't actually think that's the case, by the way, I just think it's really stupid to be concerned about what non-governmental observers are saying. The media is going to do what the media does and any kind of publicly visible strategy has to take that into account. You don't get to pretend that we're on the brink of war and then act surprised when people who closely follow international relations are all "oh whoa, are we on the brink of war?"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that victor cha editorial is framed entirely around the number of americans who would die. pretty gross

also the dude is a bush-era scumbag and shouldn't be taken as a "voice of reason"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

R. Guyovich posted:

that victor cha editorial is framed entirely around the number of americans who would die. pretty gross

also the dude is a bush-era scumbag and shouldn't be taken as a "voice of reason"

Funnily enough most of the critics about the administration's approach on North Korea love Cha

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Willo567 posted:

Funnily enough most of the critics about the administration's approach on North Korea love Cha

they do. it's similar to other liberal rehabilitations of bush administration ghouls.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

they do. it's similar to other liberal rehabilitations of bush administration ghouls.

Or Kissinger.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Trumpy is meeting NoCo defectors tomorrow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.97b81f014ce0

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 2, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Should be NoCo and SoCo. Unless you support Japanese Imperialism.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Lote posted:

Should be NoCo and SoCo. Unless you support Japanese Imperialism.

Sorry. I didn't know what I originally posted was a slur

Also

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/trump-weighs-barring-u-s-military-south-korea-bringing-families-n844041

It's not imminent, but apparently if it is changed, it would only involve future deployments; the current dependents can still stay

Makes no loving sense, but whatever

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Willo567 posted:

Sorry. I didn't know what I originally posted was a slur

Also

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/trump-weighs-barring-u-s-military-south-korea-bringing-families-n844041

It's not imminent, but apparently if it is changed, it would only involve future deployments; the current dependents can still stay

Makes no loving sense, but whatever

quote:

The idea of making all tours in Korea unaccompanied is not new, but gained new traction when President Donald Trump saw retired Gen. Jack Keane comment about the issue on FOX News, arguing the Pentagon should stop sending families there to allow the troops to prepare for possible war with North Korea, according to two U.S. officials.

lmao of course

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

OhFunny posted:

lmao of course

I'm just glad he isn't taking advice from Bolton on North Korea

Also, they were apparently talking about stopping accompanying tours six months ago, but it's probably being brought up again because Trump's an idiot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A nuclear strike would be great for my career prospects as I am exactly the sort of entitled white idiot with no relevant experience that Republicans like putting in charge of rebuilding a country.

So you know, fingers crossed.

ooh, maybe i could get in on the roads!

wait, no, i have too much experience, how about *rolls dice* port security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/959555277270917120

How reliable is the source (on the story I mean)