Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MMAgCh posted:

Thanks for that.

…man, independent of those other considerations, variant humans and GWM are kind of silly, aren't they?

Keep in mind anything calculating average damage with GWM will make it seem a lot better than it actually is, because when you're actually in play it's often far more important to get the hit in the first place than it is to do an extra 10 damage if you do get the hit, and as you progress things start getting more and more AC making GWM worse and worse. It's still not a bad feat, just one that's easy to make look way too good by statistical averages, especially since most fights don't last more than 4 or 5 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I loving love the idea that you shouldn't tell people what the best thing to do is when they as about doing something. Like can you loving imagine this in anything else.

'Hey can I stick this shock absorber into this 80's Honda Prelude?'

'Nah it'll seem fine for a little bit but eventually the main seal is going to give out because its not a twin seal system and loving take out the whole thing and gently caress up your car, don't do that'

So loving Arthil drive bys in with a you take this all too seriously :smug: poo poo and suggests they just go do whatever. Going out of their way to be unhelpful and doing nothing to answer the question. Do people like this not want questions to be answered and just a vague 'oh its fine' to every question about the game?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MMAgCh posted:

Thanks for that.

…man, independent of those other considerations, variant humans and GWM are kind of silly, aren't they?

Yeah, with how feat-reliant martials are, Variant Humans are definitely a step ahead. I'd say the only races who compare are (half)elves when using their handful of Elven Accuracy builds, and Half-Orcs given how good Relentless Endurance is.

Also, actually the best martial feat is PAM - I didn't include it in my calculations, but odds are you're going to get an extra attack out of it and probably more. That's huge. Additionally, breakdown is skewed towards GWM because it's singularly synergistic with Reckless Attack, but other than for Barbarian and Battle Master a strength ASI is almost on par.

VanSandman posted:

It’s probably been discussed before but I’m interested in a making a barbarian or other melee-focused murderizer for a game I’m in. What sort of build should I be looking at that is competent at least at murder and other barbarian-ish activities?

Well, there are a few ways to do a competent bruiser. How do you feel about polearms? Or a shield and quarterstaff? Greatswords are decent enough for low levels. There's also Shield Bashing, which is pretty effective and synergistic with other melee buddies (but not ranged buddies). Dual-Wielding is generally bad, but it works on Barbarogues.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm here to beat everyone up

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Willie Tomg posted:

oh boy i just had to read this during morning-coffee-and-email-time huh?

My ToA is Adventurer's League, so unless you're also doing that nonsense your DM probably won't be as strictly on-book as we've been. That said, I'm gonna answer like your DM is gonna be staying on-book for the most part.

--Unless your DM really heavily abbreviates events, ToA is loving looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnggg. We've been playing 4-5 hours once a week, Most Weeks, for 3 months now and I'd reckon we're a little past the halfway point. And this is with a really aggressive party that inadvertently sequence-broke a whole lot of poo poo! There's an entire prologue in Baldur's Gate that just introduces the basic premise of the campaign that bootstraps the party to level 3, that woulda kept us busy for a month at our rate. You can just fart around in the first city hub in Chult for like two IRL months easy investigating intrigues and insinuating yourself into the local politics. But you SHOULD NOT DO THIS because the implied time limit at the beginning is very very real and the DM *will* be keeping track of it.

--I must stress this, unless your DM treats you with absolute kid gloves THIS IS NOT THE VENUE FOR GIMMICK CHARACTERS. Y'know. Gimmick characters like my immensely nonsurvivable cleric with a massively pumped up dump stat. ToA is about munchkinning. ToA is WoTC giving a kiss and a hug to the kind of player who uses The Bag Of Rats Trick in 3.5e. ToA is the kind of campaign where you scout ahead to spot the lair, chop down a tree, carve it into an arrow, the wizard shrinks it and readies an action, the ranger fires it at an unsuspecting chromatic dragon just before the wizard releases the spell and a speeding tree trunk impaling the wyrm opens combat. And then the dragon STILL responds with a 15D6 breath attack, save for half. If you have an incredibly bullshit, twinked out, munchkin character concept that is good immediately and not nine levels from immediately, whip that motherfucker out for ToA because it's that kind of campaign. I'm talking Paladin/Sorcerer levels of borderline-incoherently silly character synergies.

--It is impossible to overprepare for the jungle travel sections. Even in ingame time you're gonna be a long, long, long long long long long long long time away from anything resembling civilization unless you doot around Port Nyanzaru forever. Which is a bad call, because again: time limit. This is probably the number 1 thing your DM will abstract according to the book, but ToA overall is a love letter to the Baldur's Gate games and Chapter 2 is basically "hey, remember how cool it was to wander around an open world in 1998? Well here's the chapter for YOU!" so you're probably gonna deal with at least a little of it. Do not, for ANY REASON, travel faster than "slow" pace if your DM gives you the option because that's a goddamned trap choice that'll potentially undo an entire session's worth of progress on basically a coinflip, and if someone can somehow get above the tree canopy to see where y'all are on the island it'll save you some grief. Oh, and make super loving sure you've sanity-checked your marching order as well as who takes what watches on rest, when. It gets relevant kind of a lot.

--Protections are HUGE. Protection from evil, protection from energy, protection from undead, protection from poison *cough cough*. Protection from Stuff means 50% less Stuff coming your way. There is a lot of Stuff in that loving jungle. To say nothing of inter-party synergies and a clear plan to control the space on the grid, you NEED a base of protection/resistance and healing. That is just not optional unless your DM just... drops like 50% of the campaign content. If nothing else you need to be able to keep folk ping-ponging from knockdown to barely-conscious to knocked down again if only to absorb incoming attacks from the people who can still fight, because Raise Dead and Revivify and such have a few, uh... asterisks to their operation in ToA.

--For how large the campaign is, it has a shedload of granularity to its design, down to individual buildings in massive, sprawling cities. If it seems like there's a better way to do something, there 1000% is and you should find it because these combats do not gently caress around. Unless it seems like the solution is to split the party. NEVER EVER EVER EVER SPLIT THE PARTY OR AT LEAST ONE HALF WILL PROBABLY WIPE. This is the kind of campaign that throws you in a 15ft x 15ft room with four CR5 clay golems wielding shields and polearms with reach and who have the abilities of Lv.5 barbarians and just expects you to handle that poo poo. At the very least you want folks staying in LoS.

I can't stress enough how diabolical it is. Our party just fought 7 creatures that triple attack. We're third level. That's 21 attacks every turn.

Our DM thought it was a TPK, but the dice gods gave us a hail mary and we only lost 3 players to unconsciousness, every person was single digit HP, all spells burned, gently caress yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

User0015 posted:

I can't stress enough how diabolical it is. Our party just fought 7 creatures that triple attack. We're third level. That's 21 attacks every turn.

Our DM thought it was a TPK, but the dice gods gave us a hail mary and we only lost 3 players to unconsciousness, every person was single digit HP, all spells burned, gently caress yeah.

What were they called out of curiosity.

Edit I think I figured out what attacked you Pterafolk right?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 26, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kingcom posted:

I loving love the idea that you shouldn't tell people what the best thing to do is when they as about doing something. Like can you loving imagine this in anything else.

'Hey can I stick this shock absorber into this 80's Honda Prelude?'

'Nah it'll seem fine for a little bit but eventually the main seal is going to give out because its not a twin seal system and loving take out the whole thing and gently caress up your car, don't do that'

So loving Arthil drive bys in with a you take this all too seriously :smug: poo poo and suggests they just go do whatever. Going out of their way to be unhelpful and doing nothing to answer the question. Do people like this not want questions to be answered and just a vague 'oh its fine' to every question about the game?

Look when I ask for advice on a recipe I expect people to never mention how I'm not sweating my onions as I should for a good mushroom soup and if they mention I should add nutmeg I'm incensed.

Also the concept that someone might be interested in engaging with cooking and learning is lunacy. Also a good eater will just add salt to taste and it'll be fine. Who cares that all my friends need to season this themselves (or order take out) because I just boiled ketchup and a hat for three hours. It's my character and you should work with me in this cooperative dinner.

Also loving lol that I started a three page derail by saying some content was inappropriate, that people defended by saying to read the room. Repeatedly. When literally saying "that's not cool dude don't loving do that" sent them into paroxysms. What the gently caress is wrong where mentioning not wanting rape in a game is an argument.

gently caress!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Look when I ask for advice on a recipe I expect people to never mention how I'm not sweating my onions as I should for a good mushroom soup and if they mention I should add nutmeg I'm incensed.

Also the concept that someone might be interested in engaging with cooking and learning is lunacy. Also a good eater will just add salt to taste and it'll be fine. Who cares that all my friends need to season this themselves (or order take out) because I just boiled ketchup and a hat for three hours. It's my character and you should work with me in this cooperative dinner.

Also loving lol that I started a three page derail by saying some content was inappropriate, that people defended by saying to read the room. Repeatedly. When literally saying "that's not cool dude don't loving do that" sent them into paroxysms. What the gently caress is wrong where mentioning not wanting rape in a game is an argument.

gently caress!

The recipe analogy is more like if you came in asking "Hey does anyone know what's the best kind of onion to use in this soup I'm trying to make?" and people replied "What the gently caress don't use onions even though you explicitly want onions, just use pre-fabricated soup stock like everyone else!". Like maybe the pre-fabricated soup stock tastes better overall, but if someone really likes onions don't try to stop them just because onions aren't the absolute tastiest option for the soup. Like goddamn I feel like minmaxers want everyone to just be variant humans or select elves forever. That's boring as poo poo, even if it's optimal. Being optimal is for suckers anyways, and it leads to super boring play.

I feel like people in this thread are extremely bitter about some really bad DMs they had in the past and are unable to love again. Just let loose, try to find a more relaxed DM and game and enjoy playing an elf barbarian. Unless you're playing in something super tight and super challenging like ToA you can really, REALLY use stuff that's suboptimal and still succeed. It's true!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Whatever helps feel you're correct in your mind.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I'm not gonna tell anyone else how to play, I just feel that, as a DM, I'd rather encourage stuff like elf barbarians than Yet Another Variant Human.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I didn't want to say it but yeah it just feels like everyone here, almost, has played with these extremely hard-assed DMs that have absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever and kill their friends character with a stone-faced expression while handing them a blank character sheet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The recipe analogy is more like if you came in asking "Hey does anyone know what's the best kind of onion to use in this soup I'm trying to make?" and people replied "What the gently caress don't use onions even though you explicitly want onions, just use pre-fabricated soup stock like everyone else!". Like maybe the pre-fabricated soup stock tastes better overall, but if someone really likes onions don't try to stop them just because onions aren't the absolute tastiest option for the soup. Like goddamn I feel like minmaxers want everyone to just be variant humans or select elves forever. That's boring as poo poo, even if it's optimal. Being optimal is for suckers anyways, and it leads to super boring play.

I feel like people in this thread are extremely bitter about some really bad DMs they had in the past and are unable to love again. Just let loose, try to find a more relaxed DM and game and enjoy playing an elf barbarian. Unless you're playing in something super tight and super challenging like ToA you can really, REALLY use stuff that's suboptimal and still succeed. It's true!

I mean but most of the "optimizers" in this thread are unhappy with this and wish the options were good to be fun without loving yourself over?????

Also unrelated but you just outed yourself as a terrible cook and very obviously didn't get the metaphor. Not like in a judgey way, that just obviously didn't land, sorry.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean I'm not gonna tell anyone else how to play, I just feel that, as a DM, I'd rather encourage stuff like elf barbarians than Yet Another Variant Human.

And as someone who has read the rules and played the game, when someone asks for general advise, I'm going to apply common sense and explain what's good, and why it's good, or the corollary why things are bad, and leave up to the person to do with the knowledge what they please.

Because that seems a hell of a lot more productive than creating some sort of strawman in my head about how people taking the time to analyze the system and answer questions about its intricacies want to force everyone to play it a certain way, and therefore I have a moral duty to stand up and declare how they're wrong - without actually providing any meaningful advise whatsoever.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean but most of the "optimizers" in this thread are unhappy with this and wish the options were good to be fun without loving yourself over?????

Also unrelated but you just outed yourself as a terrible cook and very obviously didn't get the metaphor. Not like in a judgey way, that just obviously didn't land, sorry.

I mean food analogies are terrible in general but I do admit to not knowing a single goddamn thing about cooking, yes.

Conspiratiorist posted:

And as someone who has read the rules and played the game, when someone asks for general advise, I'm going to apply common sense and explain what's good, and why it's good, or the corollary why things are bad, and leave up to the person to do with the knowledge what they please.

Because that seems a hell of a lot more productive than creating some sort of strawman in my head about how people taking the time to analyze the system and answer questions about its intricacies want to force everyone to play it a certain way, and therefore I have a moral duty to stand up and declare how they're wrong - without actually providing any meaningful advise whatsoever.

My meaningful advice: Talk to the DM about the desire to play an elf barbarian, see if the two of you can't work out some way for it to function. You can start with just simply reskinning some stuff to better fit the desired flavor, like giving the elf "special body paint" that's just medium armor, so that they can be "naked". Maybe try to compromise on the dual wielding axes by giving them one of those goofy two-ended axes and just flavor all the combat dialog around that while still allowing them to use GWM and the like. As for being an elf and the stat issues derived from that, maybe the DM can agree to seed in some of those stat manuals later on in the adventure so that your elf can eventually catch up.

All of this is very reasonable stuff I'd allow in a heartbeat, and I'd probably do more stuff besides. Hell, even if your DM is a total hardass about the rules he might still allow for cosmetic reskinning

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 26, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arthil posted:

I didn't want to say it but yeah it just feels like everyone here, almost, has played with these extremely hard-assed DMs that have absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever and kill their friends character with a stone-faced expression while handing them a blank character sheet.

no but most people in here who've gmed for any amount of time knows what it's like to have a player under performing that they have to adjust encounters for or they have to give that player extra items and then account for that or you've got a character sitting there whiffing every other attack if their lucky and then they aren't having fun but if you knock enemy defences down then woops the party wizard just killed everything with a fireball because he did optimize and the game becomes a mess.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Elfgames posted:

no but most people in here who've gmed for any amount of time knows what it's like to have a player under performing that they have to adjust encounters for or they have to give that player extra items and then account for that or you've got a character sitting there whiffing every other attack if their lucky and then they aren't having fun but if you knock enemy defences down then woops the party wizard just killed everything with a fireball because he did optimize and the game becomes a mess.

So long as you make sure the barbarian gets his moment to shine, in my experience, they will totally forgive all the times Minmax The Mage obliterated an encounter. Give the barbarian a one-on-one fight against some tribal boss while the rest of the party has to run interference! Have him be the center of attention when they go to the tribal lands and have to interact in barbarian culture and he's the only one that knows what the gently caress! Or, honestly, just have a really long combat day with plenty of short rests for some reason or another, that always makes martials shine over full casters.

I'm a GM too, man. I just don't mind balancing my players out if it's necessary.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of what classes I am allowed to play and how I am allowed to play them anywhere tia

Yep it’s in the 4e PHB

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
All races should just let you pick a +2 stat and a +1 stat, then have whatever their racial banner ability is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean food analogies are terrible in general but I do admit to not knowing a single goddamn thing about cooking, yes.

My meaningful advice: Talk to the DM about the desire to play an elf barbarian, see if the two of you can't work out some way for it to function. You can start with just simply reskinning some stuff to better fit the desired flavor, like giving the elf "special body paint" that's just medium armor, so that they can be "naked". Maybe try to compromise on the dual wielding axes by giving them one of those goofy two-ended axes and just flavor all the combat dialog around that while still allowing them to use GWM and the like. As for being an elf and the stat issues derived from that, maybe the DM can agree to seed in some of those stat manuals later on in the adventure so that your elf can eventually catch up.

All of this is very reasonable stuff I'd allow in a heartbeat, and I'd probably do more stuff besides. Hell, even if your DM is a total hardass about the rules he might still allow for cosmetic reskinning

Yeah no one (reasonable) disagrees with any of this, we just wish the game worked out of the box and didn't need this.

Also like seriously learn to cook. It's fun! This is cheap and is a great start and you'll be happier, trust me.

Also in like a year you'll get my reference instead of bumbling in going, " well car analogies never work I can't drive! Since the analogy is meaningless to me I'll make poo poo up rather than saying it didn't make things clearer which is the point of analogies and be a twat."

(If someone is trying to explain things and you don't understand it's okay to ask.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

So long as you make sure the barbarian gets his moment to shine, in my experience, they will totally forgive all the times Minmax The Mage obliterated an encounter. Give the barbarian a one-on-one fight against some tribal boss while the rest of the party has to run interference! Have him be the center of attention when they go to the tribal lands and have to interact in barbarian culture and he's the only one that knows what the gently caress! Or, honestly, just have a really long combat day with plenty of short rests for some reason or another, that always makes martials shine over full casters.

I'm a GM too, man. I just don't mind balancing my players out if it's necessary.

Barbarians are a long rest class.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah no one (reasonable) disagrees with any of this, we just wish the game worked out of the box and didn't need this.

Also like seriously learn to cook. It's fun! This is cheap and is a great start and you'll be happier, trust me.

Also in like a year you'll get my reference instead of bumbling in going, " well car analogies never work I can't drive! Since the analogy is meaningless to me I'll make poo poo up rather than saying it didn't make things clearer which is the point of analogies and be a twat."

(If someone is trying to explain things and you don't understand it's okay to ask.)

Maybe just don't use analogies only a small amount of people can understand then?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Niche thing : making food all people need to live.

Kay???????????

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Niche thing : making food all people need to live.

Kay???????????

Not really, nowadays. I don't know a single person capable of REALLY cooking. drat near everyone I know at work or elsewhere just does frozen food all the time...

Also it's less just 'making food' and more 'making food correctly and using proper ingredient and methods'. God knows I doubt I could find a handful of people in an office building that know what the hell sweating an onion even means.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The reason why people give advice without the expectation of a gregarious DM is not (only) because we expect DMs to be assholes, but we do expect DMs to maybe not know better.

Maybe it makes sense to me that racial stat bonuses should just be generalized. Maybe it makes sense to me that players should get better items to shore up weakpoints of their character (that are not their fault). Maybe it makes sense to me that "MAD" classes should use a different stat array or get more stat increases.

But I can't make that assumption with everyone, and even though it is absolutely correct that you should have an amiable conversation with the DM about what you want to do and how you can work with each other to accommodate it, what if they still don't? And what if they don't because of reasons besides wanting to gently caress you over because they're a jerk?

This ties back to the idea that the printed book matters, because as a DM, I don't actually like having to keep a bunch of poo poo in my head about how I'm rejiggering the game to make it better for everyone at the table. Ideally, running the game as-is would already do that!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Not really, nowadays. I don't know a single person capable of REALLY cooking. drat near everyone I know at work or elsewhere just does frozen food all the time...

Fine you're a surprisingly broken person living in a post-apocalypse.

That has nothing to do with the analogy.

Just say you didn't understand.

Edit : making soup isn't esoteric wisdom and is older than writing wtf is wrong with you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I agree that the printed book matters, and that ideally all of those things should already exist in it. But they... Don't. And people don't want to play another better balanced game, for whatever godforsaken reason the only thing anyone seems to want to play these days is 5E. It took me over a year of constant pressure to convince my players to give a different system a chance. So if you MUST play 5E, might as well edit it so that it's less broken.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Fine you're a surprisingly broken person living in a post-apocalypse.

That has nothing to do with the analogy.

Just say you didn't understand.

Dude I'm not joking or anything I'm being 100% serious when I say that sweating an onion is not a common concept and you should not expect the vast majority of people to understand what the hell you're talking about if you use that analogy basically anywhere.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

gradenko_2000 posted:

This ties back to the idea that the printed book matters, because as a DM, I don't actually like having to keep a bunch of poo poo in my head about how I'm rejiggering the game to make it better for everyone at the table. Ideally, running the game as-is would already do that!
Yeah - this is the thing I really don't like. It really takes me out of the fun improv flow of playing to balance things because I can't just trust the words on the page to make the game good without judgement calls. If I'm gonna have to personally think about how something should work, it should pay rent the form of cool narrative value instead of just being a mechanical numbers adjustment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also it's less just 'making food' and more 'making food correctly and using proper ingredient and methods'. God knows I doubt I could find a handful of people in an office building that know what the hell sweating an onion even means.

Peak goonpost and sad post in this thread, which is some Olympic level posting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Peak goonpost and sad post in this thread, which is some Olympic level posting.

Excuse me for not being a cook in the D&D thread, I was not aware that was a requirement for posting.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Dude I'm not joking or anything I'm being 100% serious when I say that sweating an onion is not a common concept and you should not expect the vast majority of people to understand what the hell you're talking about if you use that analogy basically anywhere.

It's a really common concept actually. Please learn to cook it's really good and fun.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Excuse me for not being a cook in the D&D thread, I was not aware that was a requirement for posting.

You're excused just don't let it happen again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Like, not being a cook or being cognizant of other people who are capable of cooking isn't a requirement to post but it is a legitimately sad thing to hear an adult admit?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

The metaphor was literally about asking for advice on how to do a thing properly and you just scoffed at the concept of quality. While knowing you didn't know what it meant.

my mind reels

you won fine gently caress it who cares lets burn it all down

advice is just some poo poo who cares

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Like, not being a cook or being cognizant of other people who are capable of cooking isn't a requirement to post but it is a legitimately sad thing to hear an adult admit?

It's not like I eat unhealthily, there are a lot of pre-made health food dishes these days. I don't know why the hell it's sad to not be able to cook, it's just not really a necessary skill for my life in any way.

Edit: Why the hell am I defending my inability to cook in the goddamn 5E thread. This is stupid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

We're merely finding out your bad d&d opinions are symptoms of bigger issues in your life.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don't really care that you can't cook but that you're almost proud of it is dumb.

Also that you engaged in a conversation you were clueless about as if making soup was loving alchemy.

Also that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Conspiratiorist posted:

We're merely finding out your bad d&d opinions are symptoms of bigger issues in your life.

I'm doing just fine in my life without being able to cook and holding my current opinions in D&D, thanks.

It's less that I'm proud of not being able to cook so much as I'm incredulous at the idea that you seem to believe it to be a common skill. When it is very much not.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's less that I'm proud of not being able to cook so much as I'm incredulous at the idea that you seem to believe it to be a common skill. When it is very much not.

It actually really definitely is. If you think about it every meal you've ever eaten has required someone to cook it. You would not be able to eat as many meals if it was not a common skill. Even frozen food has to be cooked. Food for thought!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Like just tomato sauce.

You can make a good arrabiata while drunk, one handed. It's delicious!

The book I linked even has a recipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Please cook. It is an essential part of being a functional adult and is more important than elfgames.