Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't understand who is being strawmanned here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Out of context, having not read any of this Thanos series, those two pages were really funny to me. Frank turning into that kind of person is funny to me. That's...all I got?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

I don't understand who is being strawmanned here

I guess I am being owned by Extremely Not Mad Online guy

It's not my fault you didn't understand it's a gag Brian

site fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 26, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm legit glad that "u mad?" is still a viable engine of conversation in TYOOL 2018 but, no, I not actually mad. I didn't think it was a very good scene for reasons I already explained because I hate fun with a fiery passion, but I could also live without browbeating that fact for another page or two. What about u? U mad?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You're the one that decided people were accusing you of hating fun for some reason.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Do you have Edge & Christian on ignore or something? Not that I would blame you if you did. :downsrim:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure they were being facetious

The lesson here is that fun is a buzzword.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes, well, I guess that'll learn me for interpreting the phrase "BrianWilly I think you have just learned what it means to hate fun" as someone possibly accusing me of hating fun. :buddy:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

I'm pretty sure they were being facetious

The lesson here is that fun is a buzzword.

They were but they weren't making fun of brian.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I thought they were making fun of Site, and then Brian was playing along.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

site posted:

Everyone looks like they hate having to be on camera, i learned nothing of value, but akiras performative enthusiasm has me amped. What does marvel have in store for us? House of inhumans? Age of wolverine? Secret invasion 2? Civil war 3?!

"no more marvel"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I wasn't really attacking anyone specific, just the general "come on, look at this thing out of context which is BADASS and AWESOME and FULL OF WIN and if you don't immediately love this wacky out of context thing you are old and dumb, like an adult in an Apple Jacks commercial."

People can like what they like and site actually provided some context/further discussion of the panel/gag and why they like the book so I'm not making fun of site, and I'm not making fun of BrianWilly but I guess I am kind of making fun of the people who just go "this is good. end of conversation, no explanation needed because it is good." or "this is bad, etc." which is endemic on here in general but not really at play here? I do kind of question the Mad Libs style of Future/Alternate Universe plotting that a lot of people use these days, especially when you get to those twists of

"TWIST! That guy in a mask is wearing a different mask and also acting and speaking differently and given that years/decades/centuries happened and we're leaving this alternate timeline in 18 pages no time to explain but can you loving believe that in the future Batman is actually quippy and paternal and also Green Arrow, but somehow Beast Boy is a rage monster and calls himself Martian Manhunter? Twist!"

EYYY PAISAN YOU THOUGHT I WAS THE HULK? I'M ACTUALLY KAMALA KHAN, AND I'M GREEN AND ITALIAN NOW! MAMA MIA!

WOO, TARNATION! AIN'T IT GONNA BE A PICKLE WHEN YOU REALIZE THAT THIS OL' HILLBILLY GREEN LANTERN EVERYONE CALLS KYLE IS ACTUALLY DAMIAN WAYNE! AH TOOK SELINA KYLE'S SURNAME WHEN I MOVED TO SPACE ARKANSAS WOO DOGIE OH WHOOPS NOW I'M DEAD KILLED BY CHEEKS THE TOY WONDER PRIME

It feels like those Just Two Things I linked to, though granted people love those too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Edge & Christian posted:

EYYY PAISAN YOU THOUGHT I WAS THE HULK? I'M ACTUALLY KAMALA KHAN, AND I'M GREEN AND ITALIAN NOW! MAMA MIA!

I feel like people would eat this up if it was in a Zdarsky or Ryan North comic.

What I don't get about Thanos is he's essentially killed everyone worth killing (keeps Ghost Frank around because he enjoys the Penance Stare, I buy that) except the big scary fucker/s he brought his younger self into the future to help him with, but he keeps Hulk around as a pet? The guy who's drat near impossible to kill except for when the plot demands it? You'd think he'd go after Hulk first just to prove he can, and get his murder spree off to a good start. But what do I know, he's probably important to the plot later. Also I put good odds on our time's Thanos killing Old Thanos on his way back to his own time. You can do that without creating a paradox, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I seriously think e&c and brian are way overthinking this. Why the "twist"? What's the draw? Why mash these together in badass,edgy coolness?

It's just a joke guys

Hey wouldn't it be funny if it turns out the rider is Frank castle?

Bam. Done

site fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 26, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Frank Castle: Spirit of Vengeance is such an obvious, over the top bad rear end thing, that I'm surprised it hasn't happened fifty times over. What makes it funny, and not just a pair of claws away from being the most nineties thing ever, is that he's a silly dude and not at all serious.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There was that arc where he worked for angels of heaven

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just from the pages posted I assumed the joke was that you were meant to think that Ghost Rider was Deadpool and the buildup was leading to that and then sudden unexpected swerve to Frank Castle. Maybe because of the way his dialogue is written

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
premise, buildup and subversion of expectation for the punchline is one of the basics of comedy but :shrug:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
So has there been any hint or idea of who or what voyager is? Personal speculation is that she's just adult kobik.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

frodnonnag posted:

So has there been any hint or idea of who or what voyager is? Personal speculation is that she's just adult kobik.

Founding member of the Avengers. One of the few who stuck around during the awkward phase. Has teleporty powers. Until recently her existence was erased by a weird power back loop. It's been established quite well. :geno:

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Founding member of the Avengers. One of the few who stuck around during the awkward phase. Has teleporty powers. Until recently her existence was erased by a weird power back loop. It's been established quite well. :geno:

Which will be revealed later that she's been retconned into the history by the Grandmaster as his ace in the hole in the game he's playing against the mystery man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think kobik is ever gonna come back

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

site posted:

I don't think kobik is ever gonna come back

Well the whole basis of my speculation is "fucks with time and teleportion" and has grey hair

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Did we ever see The Vanisher (aka Telly Porter) with hair? Maybe his was gray too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay I guess we really are gonna run this the whole nine yards

Edge & Christian posted:

I do kind of question the Mad Libs style of Future/Alternate Universe plotting that a lot of people use these days, especially when you get to those twists of

"TWIST! That guy in a mask is wearing a different mask and also acting and speaking differently and given that years/decades/centuries happened and we're leaving this alternate timeline in 18 pages no time to explain but can you loving believe that in the future Batman is actually quippy and paternal and also Green Arrow, but somehow Beast Boy is a rage monster and calls himself Martian Manhunter? Twist!"
This is actually exactly where I'm at with it. Going by the logic of this scene, that Rider really could have turned out to be anyone. He could've been Tony Stark. He could've been Matt Murdock. Could've been General Ross. Hell, could've been Cyclops and more or less ended up with the same effect, 'cuz the "effect" here is apparently that we're supposed to be tickled about how [insert arbitrary identity] doesn't actually look, sound, or act like this Rider at all.

Okay, sure, there's a sort of morbid humor to be found in finding out that Frank Castle of all people has turned, in this far-flung future, into the sort of jokesy nutjob that he once would've shot in the face probably. But it still feels really outweighed by the magnitude of missed opportunities inherent in depicting Frank like this. Frank being a Ghost Rider? Not actually that unexpected! Probably coulda happened a long time ago! And now that he finally is one, we're just gonna make him into...this gangly mofo? Talk about missing the mark. Like, how you gonna make Punisher a Ghost Rider and not give him a hell van? What kind of audacity? What kind of cheek

And then you add in the fact that he apparently had Captain America eaten alive by dogs and it's like.........yuh huh. great. Thanks for the read, fellas. It sure was very....written.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well of course there's no cheek, he's a skeleton.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

Thanks for the read, fellas. It sure was very....written.

Definitely one of the reads of all time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Okay I guess we really are gonna run this the whole nine yards

This is actually exactly where I'm at with it. Going by the logic of this scene, that Rider really could have turned out to be anyone. He could've been Tony Stark. He could've been Matt Murdock. Could've been General Ross. Hell, could've been Cyclops and more or less ended up with the same effect, 'cuz the "effect" here is apparently that we're supposed to be tickled about how [insert arbitrary identity] doesn't actually look, sound, or act like this Rider at all.

Okay, sure, there's a sort of morbid humor to be found in finding out that Frank Castle of all people has turned, in this far-flung future, into the sort of jokesy nutjob that he once would've shot in the face probably. But it still feels really outweighed by the magnitude of missed opportunities inherent in depicting Frank like this. Frank being a Ghost Rider? Not actually that unexpected! Probably coulda happened a long time ago! And now that he finally is one, we're just gonna make him into...this gangly mofo? Talk about missing the mark. Like, how you gonna make Punisher a Ghost Rider and not give him a hell van? What kind of audacity? What kind of cheek

And then you add in the fact that he apparently had Captain America eaten alive by dogs and it's like.........yuh huh. great. Thanks for the read, fellas. It sure was very....written.

Not eaten alive by dogs, eaten alive by the dog. the hulk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Well of course there's no cheek, he's a skeleton.

:golfclap:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think either of these reveals are supposed to be a big deal. The Punisher isn't given a bunch of Punisher things because the story isn't about him and he's not even the Punisher anymore. This is a side story in the Thanos comic and the side story isn't even "What happened to Earth's heroes?" it's "Why was Thanos brought here to help his future self out?"

Thanos himself doesn't even know who Frank is. These are less "reveals" and more "context".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I would absolutely hate the actual telling of "how did Frank become this?" It's more of "now who could that be? Oh wow, I'd never have guessed" kind of thing.

You are correct in the idea that Cyclops would have worked for the reveal, to a similar reaction. It is just a stupid joke playing off how crusty and rough Frank is and always has been. I'll stop talking about it though, as humor will always be subjective and I won't get anywhere trying to make you laugh at flaming head man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I must admit I'm getting more entertainment from the level of investment that's being given to how this is actually not funny at all but is in fact a damning indictment of contemporary comics writing than the actual gag itself

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think the payoff to the gag is the next page, where Thanos is like "nah, never heard of any Frank Castle" and just wanders off. The Punisher spent his mortal life as a moral crusader, and here at the end of history he's precisely what he hated and one of the few people still alive doesn't care about him anyway.

I'll give this whole bit two things though for sure: if you're going to do an apocalyptic riff on the Marvel "herald," Ghost Rider is a great choice. And if you're going to do an apocalyptic riff on the Ghost Rider, Frank Castle is a great choice. I don't know if I'm sold on the jokey, insouciant tone of this particular Frank Castle-Herald-Ghost Rider but I don't know, I think its conceptually neat enough to sell me on it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
What's this???? Goons overanalyzing something dumb???? Color me shocked!!!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think it's good when people talk about comics in the thread about comics. If someone wants to look deeper into something I'm not sure what the issue is unless they're being creepy or racist or whatever. Doesn't need to be a thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

One thing can be emblematic of multiple things, pattern recognition is a crucial facet of human cognition.

I totally get why creators with genuinely new ideas want to save them for creator-owned projects and the fact that most of the bankable Big Two characters have been around for at least five decades, but this creates sort of a cascading effect over the past twenty five years or so that more and more comics end up being some combination of

1) "Character X has taken over the mantle of Character Y!"
2) "It's Character X from the future/past/other dimension, and they're [evil/a vampire/a zombie/Character Y]
3) What if there's actually a string of Iron Fists/Ghost Riders/Spider-Men/Dogwelders/Bruce Waynes/J. Jonah Jamesons/Hypno-Hustlers that goes back thousands of years? What if there was a steampunk Captain Atom? I think it'd go a little something... like this!"
4) "If there's a Green Lantern, why not a Red Lantern? If there's a green Hulk, why not a Red Hulk? If there's a Midnighter, why not a Nooner?"

That's very literally the basis of multiple current ongoing comics, from Old Man Logan to Spider-Gwen to X-Men Blue to Injustice to DC Bombshells. It's the current story arc in Thanos and Supersons, it's the basis for crossovers like Spiderverse/Venomverse and Metal and a bunch of others in the past few years.

None of these gimmicks were invented in the year 2000 (or 1980, or 1960) but they've exploded in frequency in the past 10-15 years and while there's a ton of good well thought out stories in all of these veins (the first one barely even counts, given the long-term legacy stories both companies have done) for me at least it's a hurdle to my interest in a book if it looks like it's going to be an extended What If? riff that feels obligated to carry a lot of water to explain how Spider-Man is dead and all of the crazy crazy stuff we're going to spend half the story alluding to. I know a lot of people love it though.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 26, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

site posted:

I must admit I'm getting more entertainment from the level of investment that's being given to how this is actually not funny at all but is in fact a damning indictment of contemporary comics writing than the actual gag itself

Puppet master defense eh.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nah don't get me wrong when I first pointed out it was just funny I was replying in earnest but now the paragraphs just keep rolling in

E: this is where I stopped taking this seriously if I'm being honest

BrianWilly posted:

Okay sorry let me rewind then. Ahem.

Ahem!

hHAhaha! HahA! HA. This was so Cool and Funny. !. What a great writing we got written here. Very entertained! I support and approve of this comic. Haha11!

How's that

site fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 27, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I was actually mostly talking about feeding Cap to “the dog” as just the most comic-booky nonsense. But the twist reveal was exactly on that level for me, so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Shinjobi posted:

I think I would absolutely hate the actual telling of "how did Frank become this?"

Well, I've got bad news from the next issue preview at the end, my friend

• Locked thread