Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

"Benjamin Lafayette Sisko, what the hell has gotten into your head? You actually thought I was one of them, didn't you?"
"I don't know, I wasn't sure."
"This business has got you so twisted around, you can't think straight! You're seeing Terran infiltrators everywhere! Maybe you ought to think about something for a minute: if I was a smart Terran, a really good one, the first thing I would do would be to grab some poor doctor out of sickbay, make up an excuse, and get them to fix my eyes! Don't you see? There isn't a test that's been created that a smart man can't find his way around! You're not going to catch Terrans using some light test!"

If you were really dedicated, you would have ended your post by going into cardiac arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you were really dedicated, you would have ended your post by going into cardiac arrest.

:vince:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Discovery ships are cool and good. I want to build little models of them. A++

I have found a gumbo recipe with lotus root. If I can find said root, I plan to be slurping loudly when we get to that scene this weekend.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the federation ships are loving rad, but the klingon ones are mostly poo poo

the klingon ships do look awesome when they've been exploded. weird gossamer glass and a debris field of pointlessly spiky bits that goes on forever

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hopefully Lorca and Ash Tyler both die in a console explosion so Burnham can happily cruise the prime Alpha Quadrant with Tilly and Saru.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Delthalaz posted:

Hopefully Lorca and Ash Tyler both die in a console explosion so Burnham can happily cruise the prime Alpha Quadrant with Tilly and Saru.

Star Trek Explody Consoles Filled With Rocks (patent pending)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lotus root is my favorite vegetable and it makes me sad that you can't get it in most places in the US.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
id watch the thicc adventures of captain killy like 40 hours a day

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Sadly, as much as B5 was excellent, I find that it is ageing quite poorly. There are some really rough quality issues with the writing. Or maybe I've just watched it too many times.

I'd disagree. I'm a few episodes into season two right now and I'd say it holds up well. The rough patches in the writing were rough back in the 90s, and the good stuff is still gold.

https://www.go90.com/shows/babylon5

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

"Benjamin Lafayette Sisko, what the hell has gotten into your head? You actually thought I was one of them, didn't you?"
"I don't know, I wasn't sure."
"This business has got you so twisted around, you can't think straight! You're seeing Terran infiltrators everywhere! Maybe you ought to think about something for a minute: if I was a smart Terran, a really good one, the first thing I would do would be to grab some poor doctor out of sickbay, make up an excuse, and get them to fix my eyes! Don't you see? There isn't a test that's been created that a smart man can't find his way around! You're not going to catch Terrans using some light test!"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The new federation ships look fine, because they conform to existing starfleet design language. Someone familiar with Star Trek who hasn’t seen anything of discovery can be shown a picture of one of them and instantly recognise it as a starfleet ship. The Klingon ships look awful because they tried to radically redesign them. They certainly aren’t in any way recognisable as being Klingon ships.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, The Federation ships look fine, and consistent with established designs for Federation ships. The Hoover makes me laugh because it kind of looks like a Roomba.

The Klingon ships are terrible. Look at that Bird of Prey. The classic one is one of the best designed ships ever.

They visually say "I am aggressive, I am made to attack". They look like a Football player or Wrestling flexing, ready to gently caress you up. The Disco BoP, I don't know what the gently caress that is. Its got wings, and that's about it.

Spacedock has a good video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLRoxQVoh3M

This is a great channel if you're a giant nerd about space ships like I am.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Lord Bude posted:

The new federation ships look fine, because they conform to existing starfleet design language. Someone familiar with Star Trek who hasn’t seen anything of discovery can be shown a picture of one of them and instantly recognise it as a starfleet ship. The Klingon ships look awful because they tried to radically redesign them. They certainly aren’t in any way recognisable as being Klingon ships.

I can agree with this. The starfeet ships are fine. Though, I'll just say fine. Anything non-Discovery we have seen is still infected by Eaveitus.

The Klingon stuff is just all spikey and ill-defined.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The DISCO Bird of Prey looks pretty good imo, like an ancient ceremonial weapon. The rest of the Klingon ships are pretty garbage though. No cohesive design.

The Hoover and Magee class look pretty stupid too haha, but at least you can tell they are from the Federation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, The Federation ships look fine, and consistent with established designs for Federation ships. The Hoover makes me laugh because it kind of looks like a Roomba.

The most important thing I learned from this image is that there exists a USS Shran. I no longer care about anything else in Star Fleet and just wanna know about that ship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had no idea that was even supposed to be a Bird of Prey, I was confused why they had Stargate Death Gliders in that one episode.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it looks incredibly stupid

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the bridge and upper nacel section of the nimitz class looks more like a bird of prey than the new one

now I want an episode where some plucky klingon engineer completely rips off the design and goes on to kill many, many muthafuckas for kahless with it

that transport looking thing in the bottom right corner is also baller as gently caress, pure pimp cargo liner

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I.K.S. Funkbus

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My favorite space ship (trek/nasa/wars/bsg/other) is the movie K’Tinga.

It is clearly a big ol’ penis.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Viola Davis has been doing TV for years now. So did Glen Close. Meryl Streep is joining Big Little Lies next season.

But sure, people in this thread just KNOW there is absolutely no way CBS could possibly afford Jason Issacs any longer.

Please.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Klingon ships all really do look like rear end. The space bus thing is fine if it's just like a transport ship or something. The Shran and the Space Roomba suck too, rest I'm okay with. I like the Yeager.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

Viola Davis has been doing TV for years now. So did Glen Close. Meryl Streep is joining Big Little Lies next season.

But sure, people in this thread just KNOW there is absolutely no way CBS could possibly afford Jason Issacs any longer.

Please.

They can certainly afford him. I don't see how he stays in the main cast though, unless his non-mirror self exists still and unfortunately that dude wouldn't be nearly as fun. Maybe he just doesn't give a gently caress in either universe?

I just hope they don't kill him so he can come back in a future arc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

They can certainly afford him. I don't see how he stays in the main cast though, unless his non-mirror self exists still and unfortunately that dude wouldn't be nearly as fun. Maybe he just doesn't give a gently caress in either universe?

I just hope they don't kill him so he can come back in a future arc.

Get L'Rell to do some brain surgery on him too. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's already established that Shakespeare's plays are exactly the same in both universes, it'd be funny if Lorca is just kind of a dick in both too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

counterfeitsaint posted:

The most important thing I learned from this image is that there exists a USS Shran. I no longer care about anything else in Star Fleet and just wanna know about that ship.

It's too bad its a McCree class, so it looks like butt.

I feel like what they wanted to do is show that each of the Klingon Houses or Clans or whatever had their own ships that were unique to that faction, but rather than have a good variety it just ended up with a bunch of ships that look random and over designed, replacing what was one of the most iconic villain ships in sci-fi. I honestly think only the Star Destroyer ranks higher than the BoP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know what the Klingon ships look like because they seem super busy and dark and I don't remember if they even show entire ships at once. They most definitely are not iconic enough for me to remember them like an old BoP.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Get L'Rell to do some brain surgery on him too. :v:

Turn this one into Ash Tyler too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Of those five ships the Death Glider is the only one I even remember seeing on the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I find myself wondering at what point in history the Mirror Universe diverged from the Prime Universe. Like is every good person in the Prime Universe evil in the MU and vice versa? or perhaps there were some key points of digression,and most people are just products of upbringing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My impression is that it was always different.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I find myself wondering at what point in history the Mirror Universe diverged from the Prime Universe. Like is every good person in the Prime Universe evil in the MU and vice versa? or perhaps there were some key points of digression,and most people are just products of upbringing.

As far as DS9 MU goes, there are at least some people, like O'Brien, who are essentially the same person, just in dire circumstances. And Bashir is just kind of a dick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Lord Bude posted:

The enterprise mirror episodes show they were always like that. The same people just seem to meet up and have children or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Klingon ships are overdesigned with too little screen-time. Busy+dark also makes them look two dimensional. They're just not memorable and extremely clunky.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Lord Bude posted:

The impression I got is that human history diverged centuries ago - in Enterprise, mirror Phlox is surprised Shakespeare's still basically the same, noting all the other historical writers he looked up are different in the prime universe. But the divergence seems to be purely human - other races are basically the same. For example, the Halkans in the original mirror universe episode are pacifists in both universes.

The reference to Shakespeare was inspired by a scene in one of the old TNG novels, where Picard examines his mirror counterpart's library. Initially, he thinks Earth's history diverged during the Third World War, but after reading further, he realizes humans in this universe have always been slightly crueler all along. Some of Shakespeare's the same - you can't really make Titus Andronicus any more bloody - but The Merchant of Venice ends with Shylock getting his pound of flesh, Portia noting that "the quality of mercy must be earned".

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I remember that from Dark Mirror. That was a good, if cheesy, book.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe it was when Bush won the 2000 election instead of Gore.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I honestly don't remember seeing those Klingon ships in Discovery, but then I'm brain damaged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Lord Bude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrrLWt53BUc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It feels like they've gone "Star Fleet sheeps have to look like this" and been forced to keep to a specific design.
But with the Klingons and the Mirror Universe flagship they've been allowed to just do whatever. And it's turned out poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Taear posted:

It feels like they've gone "Star Fleet sheeps have to look like this" and been forced to keep to a specific design.
But with the Klingons and the Mirror Universe flagship they've been allowed to just do whatever. And it's turned out poo poo.

Yep