Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Rincewinds posted:

For us averse to torture, its still kinda iffy that the only way to really prevent prison breaks is to give every prisoner peg legs then remove the peg legs.

Eh. They get anesthetized!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nuclear War posted:

Eh. They get anesthetized!

With "herbal medicine" if they're lucky.

Or a quick club to the face if they're not.

I usually give my prisoners decent care when I can, real medicine, free tribal wear (after stripping them of course, no need to waste armor vests or shield belts if they're just going to up and die in jail), nice big space to wander around in, simple meals on tap whenever they want.

It's just like the visitors I get through hospitality, except the entrance fee is grievous internal trauma and the view is more automatic gun-barrely and less marble sculpture.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My current colony has been going for long enough where I don't feel compelled to bother to recruit anyone new unless they're very exceptional, and the raids I get are also absurd. At this point I've got a "catch and release" program going where I give everyone I capture 2 eye patches, 2 ear bandages, 2 peg legs, and 2 hook hands. They then get stripped naked and released. Possibly released during the next raid, or during a manhunter pack or whenever else I might decide it's fun.

The only side effect of this program is now my colony has tons of extra ears, because EPOE for some reason removes an ear when you apply a bandage. I really wish eyes did the same because I go through a whole lot of eyes with these guys for some reason. Also kidneys, but that's because I have a few chemical fascination pawns.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
For those with a surplus of moral scruples and electrical power, you can graciously allow your prisoners to keep their legs by placing a few elegant artisanal autoturrets just outside the "guest rooms" to remind your less grateful "visitors" how fortunate they are to be ambulatory with a few mechanically-dispensed slugs to the face.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tristesse posted:

My current colony has been going for long enough where I don't feel compelled to bother to recruit anyone new unless they're very exceptional, and the raids I get are also absurd. At this point I've got a "catch and release" program going where I give everyone I capture 2 eye patches, 2 ear bandages, 2 peg legs, and 2 hook hands. They then get stripped naked and released. Possibly released during the next raid, or during a manhunter pack or whenever else I might decide it's fun.

The only side effect of this program is now my colony has tons of extra ears, because EPOE for some reason removes an ear when you apply a bandage. I really wish eyes did the same because I go through a whole lot of eyes with these guys for some reason. Also kidneys, but that's because I have a few chemical fascination pawns.

It used to give eyes for eyepatches, but I guess he thought it was imbalanced and just made it impossible to harvest eyes at all :shepface:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mzbundifund posted:

For those with a surplus of moral scruples and electrical power, you can graciously allow your prisoners to keep their legs by placing a few elegant artisanal autoturrets just outside the "guest rooms" to remind your less grateful "visitors" how fortunate they are to be ambulatory with a few mechanically-dispensed slugs to the face.

Yeah that's what I do. There's a prison airlock with at least two auto turrets between them and freedom. If they somehow make it past them and the other plasteel door, then they get to run the gauntlet of my bunker hallways filled with heavily armed space marines who move at a lightning pace.

Or they can tunnel out through five layers of granite plus the mountain I guess. Do prisoners tunnel? I've never seen that behavior.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nah, when having a prison break they just get the ability to open your doors until they are recaptured.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My prison escapes lead first into my worship hall where I feel they are terrified by what is in store for them whenever I feel like asking cthulhu for a trade ship, then into a box with some turrets to keep the bulk of the group....entertained, then a one tile wide hallway with a three-across exit where they get to try their empty-fisted usually-naked single file luck against a trio of cybered melee dudes with plasteel maces and power armor.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is gonna make one hell of a story.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Warmachine posted:

This is gonna make one hell of a story.

:yikes:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm gonna need a mod list, stat

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep wanting to build an obstacle course for prisoners to earn their freedom by completing, but I swear the only time they jailbreak is while they're already super injured. I just want to play Takeshi's Castle but for keeps

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm gonna need a mod list, stat

Holy poo poo :same: I like the look of those... Android? I think?

Also the hats are cool.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

I keep wanting to build an obstacle course for prisoners to earn their freedom by completing, but I swear the only time they jailbreak is while they're already super injured. I just want to play Takeshi's Castle but for keeps

Leave the door open?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keeshhound posted:

Leave the door open?

...:cripes: oh my god I'm an idiot

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Something went wrong while Joshua was away, on his way back Randy hit the guy with a plague.

The first dog of the colony tried to drag the poor pawns to the hospital; she was the last to die.

Happier times... The two kids were his; Albina and Suppy were the mothers. I kind feel bad to have changed his title back then.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

My prison complex is a big ol tomb full of cryptosleep caskets filled with anaesthetised (but otherwise perfectly healthy) prisoners.

It's a heck of a lot more humane than the other options I've seen in this thread. :colbert:

Besides being my primary source of recruits, pirate raiders actually were what turned got me to turn a solo fortress into a team effort after being attacked by the same teenage pawn multiple times after letting them go after the bruises healed up. I figured that had to be a sign this pawn wanted to get out of a life of space-crime and do something good. :3:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

What do you do with them? Sell them? Or just keep them asleep forever

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I don't have the heart to sell them. I'm focussing on building the ship, so before my pawns blast off, I'll have one of them open up one of the containers so that the first captive is left to pick up the pieces.

(Alternatively, I could dev-mode-recruit all sixteen captives and actually play out them inheriting enough guns and food to start migrating to the other side of the continent and get to the spaceship there. Hmmm...)

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 27, 2018

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
I tend to get mad at my captives when they try to escape and injure one of the guys I care about. Mass graves tend to follow.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I don't keep a lot of prisoners, I'm usually very picky with my recruitment.

I use the Prisoner Ransom mod. It gives more raids in case of failure, it can escalate in hilarious ways.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225610022&searchtext=ransom

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anticheese posted:

I don't have the heart to sell them. I'm focussing on building the ship, so before my pawns blast off, I'll have one of them open up one of the containers so that the first captive is left to pick up the pieces.

(Alternatively, I could dev-mode-recruit all sixteen captives and actually play out them inheriting enough guns and food to start migrating to the other side of the continent and get to the spaceship there. Hmmm...)

You know the answer to this. Only you play it as the colony abandoned their cold sleep prison and they only woke up when it started to lose power.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

cugel posted:

I don't keep a lot of prisoners, I'm usually very picky with my recruitment.

I use the Prisoner Ransom mod. It gives more raids in case of failure, it can escalate in hilarious ways.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225610022&searchtext=ransom

There are many more....resources....available from a prisoner than merely recruiting them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TIBERIUM TERROR AT FORTUNE TELLER'S REST STOP

8th of Decemberary, 5507

It isn't clear who first sighted the manhunter heard or sounded the alarm. Usually the warning of a massive herd of killer wildlife was a time to celebrate. This colony is, after all, fairly advanced, and angry moose are no match for railguns and mortar shot. The meat makes for one hell of a barbecue. Have you ever tried to eat mutant flesh though? It tastes awful, and the bits of tiberium make your mouth burn. But that is what we saw on the horizon; fifteen Thrumbos. Only these weren't the docile fluffy tree eaters we were used to. The tiberium changed them into something else. Lumbering monstrosities of flesh and crystal.

So, standard protocol right? Go inside, lock the doors. We certainly weren't hurting for supplies, and we thought the walls would still be strong enough to keep them out. They're solid granite. We'd been planning to expand them for some time, since the old city was getting a bit cramped as our colony grew. Everyone quickly returned to what we call the "blue zone;" a legacy of Earth nomenclature for tiberium-free areas. Here's the thing about the terrors; they don't give a drat about your granite gates. They're smart enough to put two and two together when they saw one of our people closing the gate. They're the size of elephants, only stronger and far meaner. They charged through like it didn't even exist.

In hindsight, the old airlock gates would have probably kept them out. But it was far too late for hindsight to save us. Fifteen manhunting monsters just walked through the walls and made our safe haven decidedly unsafe. Early last year, we had decided to establish forward bunkers on the outskirts of the colony as staging areas for dealing with the intermittent pirate and indigenous raiders. They're hardened pillboxes designed for extended firefights, and now they were the most reasonable shelter that we could find. The evacuation order was given and we made for the south gate as we heard the terrors charging past the growhouse and hospital in the northern part of the colony.

Clarent, Combo, and Kong slept through the original alarm. In any other situation, this would have been fine, only now they were trapped inside their homes, cut off with a horde of savage predators between them and the safety of the shelter. Kong slipped out first, and miraculously went unnoticed by the terrors as she sprinted out the south gate and to the bunker. Clarent wasn't so lucky. The engineer found himself sandwiched between two prongs of the horde, and he caught the business end of one of their tiberium spikes. Combo saw him go down, and at the time we had no way to know if it was fatal, let alone rescue him. What we did know is that if we didn't get them out of the colony, they would eventually do to us what they did to our guests from Entni. They state of the corpses was ghastly. Combo had a plan; she would wait for the terrors to get far enough from her home that she could sprint to the south gate, and she'd leave it open for them to follow her. Gambling on outrunning the herd across a snow covered plain was risky, but it was less certain of a demise than waiting for them to break down the door.

"Alright, I'm going." The plasteel door to Combo's home swished open, and she stepped out into the cold night. Snapping her rifle up, she took aim as one of the beasts, senses keen to the sound of its prey, began to turn and bellow out its unearthly cry. I heard the crack of her rifle shot and screamed into the radio, "Don't shoot just run!" It was the only shot I heard before seeing her peeling out of the south gate, the giant granite doors taking all too long to open as the herd bore down on the Digger-turned-Militia.

Delilah took command of the refugees as we watched Combo scramble through the snow. "Give her cover!" she screamed as Combo drew closer, and the motley crew of colonists opened fire on the approaching herd. Normally we wouldn't fire with one of our own downrange, but thrumbos are big targets, and friendly fire was the least of our concern. Phil, our lead animal handler, had suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years back in a battle against rogue mechanoids that left him deaf and mute. Somehow, he still always knows when to cut loose. He'd been training several grizzly bears that a passing trader had sold us and our lead scientist Robert Burban had outfitted with high tech bionic enhancements. Those three bears bought combo the time she needed to get inside. Sadly two of them didn't make it. I don't think Phil took it well, but I know Combo is grateful.

What followed was three loud, uncertain hours as the horde of terrors raged against our bunker. Shoulder to shoulder we blasted away with everything we had, from dinky handguns to the experimental GDI railguns that Jacob had recently put together. Raven and the other engineers that made it to the bunker ran support, patching up holes in the walls and door as the beasts tore at them, ichor staining the ground for each shot they soaked. Those of us with only knives, or no combat experience, huddled inside the core of the box, listening to the screaming beasts and pounding gunfire.

By five, it was over. There was a long pause when the shooting stopped as what just took place sunk in and for a while, the only thing moving was the snow falling hard from the sky. We sent the battle droids out first to finish off the creatures that weren't killed outright in the hail of gunfire, and the rest of us began the long trek back through the snow, shaken but alive.

Currently, Mayor Mathias, our chief architect Alex DiNardo, and the engineers under Jacob's direction are drawing up plans for something DiNardo calls the "Oh-Shitidel." Build with the same line of thought as the bunkers, it will act as a fully stocked safehold in case this happens again. The plans are to install a reinforced roof to protect it from tornadoes and indirect bombardment, and to stock a storehouse with survival meals, medicine, and weapons needed to hold out against any threat. Burban has even suggested plans for a new sonic weapon similar to the portable shatterer Delilah uses, only with a much bigger power source.

NEXT TIME: REMEMBER THE FORGOTTEN

Mods pictured: Tiberium Rim and Factions, Androids, High Tech Research Stations.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 27, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

There are many more....resources....available from a prisoner than merely recruiting them.
Our relaxing day spa package starts off with a doctor showing off their prosthetic installing techniques. After that, it's a quick nip-and-tuck of extraneous organs, followed by the highlight of the day - a deity meet-and-greet at the altar! As a wind-down, you're off to the butcher where you get an opportunity to materially contribute to a cute fluffy pet's well being.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Very true, I didn't harvest organs so far. I tried the :cthulhu: mod in a17 but by lack of cultural attachment to Lovecraft I didn't manage to care about it.

One year later everything is back to normal. Pigs are the new dogs, the colony has four comedians instead of three and the cook eventually learned to make fine meals. The hardest task was to find a new doctor. Subscriptions are coming back!

Aggressive recruitment!

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I was looking but couldn't find the mod which let you give people a melee sidearm they'll use when stuff closes

Anyone have the name?

edit: thanks!

Salean fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2018

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Salean posted:

I was looking but couldn't find the mod which let you give people a melee sidearm they'll use when stuff closes

Anyone have the name?

Simple Sidearms?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I got the game, having a ton of fun with the random storyteller and a Base Building difficulty game to get my bearings.

Randy is really insistent on giving me a ton of huskies via events, I'm up to 7 puppies now. What should I do with those? I'm trying to train them, but judging how they fare in combat against wild animals that attack them, they're not going to be much use in a fight.

Also, I built my base shoddily with a mix of materials (wood, slate, whatever I had on hand in the beginning) and just now walled it all off with a big solid granite wall with a couple steel doors. Got myself some proper electricity to power my heating/cooling/lighting/workbench system with 7 batteries, 3 solar panels and 2 wind turbines, which still feels barely sufficient but I'm almost out of steel and the only deposits left are on the other side of the map

Now what I really, really need to do ASAP is make my base prettier. Everybody has their needs met, eat nice meals, party hard and smoke weed, but they all think the base is a dirty, unbelievably awful place to live. How do I rectify that? Should I just tear down all the lovely wooden walls and replace everything with marble (of which I have an abundance)? Will I ever unlock more furniture than the starting pieces?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 27, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TorakFade posted:

So I got the game, having a ton of fun with the random storyteller and a Base Building difficulty game to get my bearings.

Randy is really insistent on giving me a ton of huskies via events, I'm up to 7 puppies now. What should I do with those? I'm trying to train them, but judging how they fare in combat against wild animals that attack them, they're not going to be much use in a fight.

Also, I built my base shoddily with a mix of materials (wood, slate, whatever I had on hand in the beginning) and just now walled it all off with a big solid granite wall with a couple steel doors. Got myself some proper electricity to power my heating/cooling/lighting/workbench system with 7 batteries, 3 solar panels and 2 wind turbines, which still feels barely sufficient but I'm almost out of steel and the only deposits left are on the other side of the map

Now what I really, really need to do ASAP is make my base prettier. Everybody has their needs met, eat nice meals, party hard and smoke weed, but they all think the base is a dirty, unbelievably awful place to live. How do I rectify that? Should I just tear down all the lovely wooden walls and replace everything with marble (of which I have an abundance)? Will I ever unlock more furniture than the starting pieces?

Train the puppies so they can haul for you, use them as meatshields for raiders.
There really isn't more furniture to unlock (in vanilla) but nice statues, chairs, chess boards, tables, etc. all count towards making interiors nicer as well. Don't forget that the chairs at the dining table and at your workstations can be recliners, too, they don't have to be benches. Also, add chairs to your crafting stations if you don't already have them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the things the game fails to impress without really digging into room stats is that every pawn is literally Pig-Pen and leaving a trail of detritus everywhere they walk. All the masterpeices and flowerpots in the world have trouble counteracting footprints so your options are janitors who's number 1 priority is sweeping, modding in roombas, modding in door mats, or some combination.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Don’t forget about floortype beauty, and outside walkways help beauty too. Keep Storage out of sight.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Getting the place floored asap is your first goal. stone tiles have +1 beauty but stone flags or wood floors are cheaper and quicker to lay and are 0 beauty, which is still a big upgrade on -1. One you ave floors down your colonists can clean them too, which will make a huge difference.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Anticheese posted:

My prison complex is a big ol tomb full of cryptosleep caskets filled with anaesthetised (but otherwise perfectly healthy) prisoners.

It's a heck of a lot more humane than the other options I've seen in this thread. :colbert:

Sir, unless your punishment is relative death or old age of all they know and love (which is genius in some monkey's paw manner) you neither punish nor discipline your prisoners. :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You could use that living battery mod for the cyptosleep prisoners.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anticheese posted:

Pictures. Please.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
He posted a picture?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I only saw the post through the quote, so, didn't see the follow-up picture.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Warmachine posted:

awesome stuff

cugel posted:

awesome stuff

:allears:

I love the modding scene in this game. So far I've been sticking to vanilla-ish mods, but I think once I'm finally done with my current colony I'm going to try one of the more flavorful mods. So far my short list is:

Cthulu mod
Jedi mod
Tiberium mod
Genetic Rim (I think?) mod
Rimsenal mods

Are there any other mods like these which are unlike vanilla but well done?

Also, what mod is it that adds the droid pawns?

Edit: also, on flooring beauty chat, carpet (vanilla) and mosaic stone flooring (from the MoreFloors mod) add 2 beauty per tile, which adds up quick, especially for bedrooms.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

metasynthetic posted:

:allears:

I love the modding scene in this game. So far I've been sticking to vanilla-ish mods, but I think once I'm finally done with my current colony I'm going to try one of the more flavorful mods. So far my short list is:

Cthulu mod
Jedi mod
Tiberium mod
Genetic Rim (I think?) mod
Rimsenal mods

Are there any other mods like these which are unlike vanilla but well done?

Also, what mod is it that adds the droid pawns?

Edit: also, on flooring beauty chat, carpet (vanilla) and mosaic stone flooring (from the MoreFloors mod) add 2 beauty per tile, which adds up quick, especially for bedrooms.

Misc robots adds roombas and hauler drones. Misc ai is droids. There might be others too