Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No one was injured but this still doesn't sound like a fun time.

https://twitter.com/FungNathan_K/status/956281377002995712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I bet the health & safety guys were fuming.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Groda posted:

I bet the health & safety guys were fuming.

:downsrim:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

That sounds horribly complicated for a system that can render its user intoxicated or unconscious. And yet I'm not sure I'd trust it to automation. Scary stuff!

Now imagine you're diving to record breaking depths, inside a sub wreck, and decide to start experimenting with these newfangled gas mixes that nobody really knows how to use yet.

Shadow Divers

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Another story about extreme diving; https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it safe to pee at 270m? The idea is daunting.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't see why not, pee is more or less incompressible so it's not like the ocean's going to shoot up into your bladder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
^^^^ ignore this liar he's trying to kill you

Arglebargle III posted:

no the pressure is so high that you can't even pee in the first place. the ocean would go inside your bladder and you would blow up.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

^^^^ ignore this liar he's trying to kill you

no the pressure is so high that you can't even pee in the first place. the ocean would go inside your bladder and you would blow up.

stop inventing new fetishes :mad:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh wow that story turned dark. But you find out how to pee at 270m down.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

This thread always reminds me what a fragile little chemistry set the human body is and that is sheer luck any of us are alive.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't realize that even with exotic gas mixes you couldn't stay down for more than a few minutes without becoming intoxicated and eventually confused and probably dead.

That dive to recover remains, on further reflection, was still essentially run like an amateur recreational dive and should never have been undertaken. They hadn't practiced adequately in a pool, one rebreather control box was known to have failed the day before, there was no electronic communication and no remote telemetry of any kind. That dive should have been scrubbed, without question, when the backup diver's rebreather controls failed the day before. I think a professional team might have practiced it and concluded it wasn't worth the risk.

Arglebargle III has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Jan 25, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Applesnots posted:

This thread always reminds me what a fragile little chemistry set the human body is and that is sheer luck any of us are alive.

poo poo, a small shift of our internal temperature in either direction can retard or stop a chemical reaction in it's tracks. And then the process dependent on that reaction can't happen which affects the next in the chain. Failure cascade causing systemic failure.

It's like pulling the keystone from an arch.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo, a small shift of our internal temperature in either direction can retard or stop a chemical reaction in it's tracks. And then the process dependent on that reaction can't happen which affects the next in the chain. Failure cascade causing systemic failure.

It's like pulling the keystone from an arch.

And then you think about the recurring alkaline and acid food bullshit and an apparently out of control body pH...

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't realize that even with exotic gas mixes you couldn't stay down for more than a few minutes without becoming intoxicated and eventually confused and probably dead.

That dive to recover remains, on further reflection, was still essentially run like an amateur recreational dive and should never have been undertaken. They hadn't practiced adequately in a pool, one rebreather control box was known to have failed the day before, there was no electronic communication and no remote telemetry of any kind. That dive should have been scrubbed, without question, when the backup diver's rebreather controls failed the day before. I think a professional team might have practiced it and concluded it wasn't worth the risk.

I don't think there are "Professional" team in the entire world for something like that. They gathered the best people they could with the best plan they had with the best equipment that could be brought. The plan was sound for doing something that extreme, but like all accidents there is a chain of small failures with any one being different would have likely lead to both being alive.

The wire break wasn't the problem, the reassembly was the likely issue leaving a pressure differential causing it to break. He went down faster than he should. The the body was different from what they expected. He didn't abort when what he found was different. Not letting go of equipment. The equipment they were using were bleeding edge for what they were doing and not fully understood leading to incapacitation sooner and to a greater degree than expected. Group tunnel vision even without narcosis have killed a plane load of people with no immediate danger.

When his friend aborted the backup plans worked just fine bringing him up safely despite the problems he had.

They were too eager to do the dive, a dive they had done before with a fraction of the support, retrieving the body was extra motivation. This was like Apollo 13, we have been there, returning is going to be a cakewalk.

The sensible thing would have would have been to send the submarine again but people like them are extreme but not suicidal risk takers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That part was such a disaster I wouldn't send an any of you to retrieve it.

Like seriously, your post is really internally inconsistent.

David Shaw made a bunch of mistakes that cost him his drat life and traumatized his friends to complete a mission that could have waited for another day.

It's tragic, but still really frustrating to watch third parties bloviate about situations like these as anything other than a study in ignoring risk factors.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Wasabi the J posted:

That part was such a disaster I wouldn't send an any of you to retrieve it.

Like seriously, your post is really internally inconsistent.

David Shaw made a bunch of mistakes that cost him his drat life and traumatized his friends to complete a mission that could have waited for another day.

It's tragic, but still really frustrating to watch third parties bloviate about situations like these as anything other than a study in ignoring risk factors.

I want to follow in Deon's footsteps, and have my rotten corpse slay the living

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

stop inventing new fetishes :mad:

Inflation fetishes are pretty old school actually. :colbert:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
I have a deflation fetish

edit: wait that's a real thing noo

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I want to follow in Deon's footsteps, and have my rotten corpse slay the living

Infect yourself with the plague, die, and convince someone to trebuchet your remains into a large crowd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_biological_warfare#Middle_Ages

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well, whether it's third party bloviating or not, the lead diver died and the second got bent.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Grundulum posted:

Infect yourself with the plague, die, and convince someone to trebuchet your remains into a large crowd.

Make sure that your hands are rigor'd into just having their middle fingers extended first. Duct tape can also be used.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applesnots posted:

And then you see people fall off a bike at over 100 mph and don't even get paralyzed.

The human body is drat strange.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

iospace posted:

And then you see people fall off a bike at over 100 mph and don't even get paralyzed.

Mechanically robust, chemically fragile.

You can crush a person's leg with a boulder and their vital fluids will leak out (and in) for hours and hours, but three minutes without oxygen and they're just flat dead.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, whether it's third party bloviating or not, the lead diver died and the second got bent.

Yeah over retrieving a dead body using gear that was loving up. Great study in understanding how collective ego can get in the way of calling off the mission and reassessing your methods.

This is the scary chemicals thread. I think we ought shun unsafe practices, even working on the limits of human knowledge.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah over retrieving a dead body using gear that was loving up. Great study in understanding how collective ego can get in the way of calling off the mission and reassessing your methods.

This is the scary chemicals thread. I think we ought shun unsafe practices, even working on the limits of human knowledge.

Tasting the stuff you make is perfectly legitimate scientific practice. It's how we get saccharin, and discover that nitroglycerin is absorbed through the tongue and causes immediate blood pressure loss.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

iospace posted:

There was a thread of paramedic stories a few years ago that taught me two things (along with"paramedics are drat heroes"):
1) Holy poo poo humans are really easy to kill
2) Holy poo poo humans are really hard to kill

You hear about people being chopped and skewered beyond all reason and somehow surviving, and then one stab in the wrong place, one unlucky blow and you're dead before you hit the ground. I guess medicine has advanced to the point where the only vital organs are the immediately vital ones, and anything else you can patch back up once the threats of infection and bloodloss are taken away.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I guess medicine has advanced to the point where the only vital organs are the immediately vital ones

And then it turns out you can get by fine without most of those too.

quote:

Doctors think the majority of the man's brain was slowly destroyed over the course of 30 years by the build-up of fluid in the brain, a condition known as hydrocephalus. He'd been diagnosed with it as an infant and treated with a stent, but it was removed when he was 14 years old, and since then, the majority of his brain seems to have been eroded.

But despite his minimal remaining brain tissue, the man wasn't mentally disabled - he had a low IQ of 75, but was working as a civil servant. He was also married with two children, and was relatively healthy.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-who-lives-without-90-of-his-brain-is-challenging-our-understanding-of-consciousness

I think the best part is that he was a civil servant. Everyone goes "that explains so much, there's many of those". And to be precise, his brain isn't really missing, just squished into a very abnormal shape.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had never considered that the further down you go, the more gas molecules it takes to fill your lungs each breath. A scuba diver descending to 270 m and immediately ascending took 12 hours and used 55,000 liters of gas at STP. That's about seven of those full size compressed gas canisters that take months to use up in a lab.

No wonder you need to spend hours flushing that gas out of your tissues.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arglebargle III posted:

I had never considered that the further down you go, the more gas molecules it takes to fill your lungs each breath. A scuba diver descending to 270 m and immediately ascending took 12 hours and used 55,000 liters of gas at STP. That's about seven of those full size compressed gas canisters that take months to use up in a lab.

At those depths, with that much dive time, it could be days to get get to the point where you won't just fall over dead from a bubble in the brain. Also, if you want some horrible stuff to look at, look up decompression chamber failures some time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Arglebargle III posted:

To add context 12 hours of "light exercise" at the surface would consume about 8-9000 litres.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iospace posted:

There's a Clarkson quote for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoZWyLMb6c

If you fall off at speed but have the room to skid cleanly to a stop, then if you're wearing proper gear you probably won't be seriously injured. It's those unexpected solid objects in the path that are the real concern. Tumbling is also bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I had also not considered the actual sensation of the thicker air. One thing is the Mickey Mouse voices, another is the sheer density. One diver said his mustache was annoying him at the biggest depths, because the hairs would flap up and down into his nose when he breathed.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Ola posted:

And then it turns out you can get by fine without most of those too.

I had access to the "organ library" at my university which was a large collection of diseased and healthy organs preserved in jars for medical students to look at.

There was a brain in a jar that was like 90% tumor.

The cause of death was listed as a car accident and the tumor wasn't discovered until the autopsy.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

IGNITION is being reprinted!!!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

awwwww yeah :getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:piaa:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HELLS YES! BOOM!