Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

you could avoid those things by not playing the game at all

But then how can I get a chicken dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

abigserve posted:

To be fair the amount of times we get killed by guys like this is eclipsed by the amount of times they miss or we see em

It's just annoying having to have a boy on the stairs at all times

Oh, I'm sure those tactics don't work very well in team modes but I've only played solo so far.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Jerkface posted:

The tier list for action games is:

Action quake 2

Reaction quake 3
The opera

Action half life
This post was quite a few pages ago but I can definitely agree that AHL was nowhere near the game AQ2 was (which would be easily the game I've put the most hours into, I was a teenager at the time though so not surprising). The combination of Quake's ridiculous game physics (with the strafe/circle/grenade jumping that enabled) with the semi-realistic weapon selection worked surprisingly well.

As to the "ever used cheats?" topic this post was part of, I have, but only once: I got talking to a guy playing quakeworld who had made his own modded client with some cheats in it, he gave me a copy and I tried using aim and speedhack in combination with the axe - it wasn't competitive (axe only did like 15-20 hp per chop) but it was kinda funny because it surprised the gently caress out of people. That got boring after 5 minutes, and using it to actually kill people with guns felt wrong (even though I was awful at quakeworld), so I can't really see the appeal playing like that.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Well, finally ran into one of those guys that can shoot you through walls.

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MT7usgAQV0

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
11 hours and 44 matches later I got a chicken dinner finally! the poor bastard at the end was wearing a yellow jump suit :goshawk: and decided to run. I have hit the last 3 a couple of times now so was nice to get it this time. Apparently this puts me in the top 1.25% of Oceania, but I am a coward with 0.5kd so that has to be wrong.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Here's a tip for you. Yes, YOU: Click the button faster when single-firing, no matter if it's with a red dot or a 4x, no matter the distance. You can click the button twice as fast as you're currently doing and still easily manage the recoil.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

miramar is very feast or famine when it comes to vehicles.

I think most of them just spawn in or very close to cities instead of near junctions and long roads.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, and most of the map is desert and walking close to the road is suicide since you're completely exposed. Finding a car feels a lot harder.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Now that the novelty has worn off for me the new map seems a lot worse than the old one in nearly every way.

Map
- Larger than the old map, despite old map being arguably too big already. Largeness is exaggerated by it being in a desert environment which means relatively little tree cover and now there's more than a few large wastelands with absolutely nothing in them.
- Half of the interesting/unique places are placed on the extreme edges of the map. Has anyone who made this map ever actually played the game at all because this is the most confusing part by far.
- The blue circle at times is almost impossible to see ingame due to the map being so much brighter, this can easily gently caress you up big time in the final few circles.

Vehicles
- VW Van is practically useless off of paved roads or on anything steeper than the slightest vertical incline.
- The truck spins out almost as much as the buggy and is oddly unstable at high speeds. Isn't that bad for the map but it is garbage compared to the UAZ after the 1.0 vehicle physics changes.

Buildings
- Most if not all buildings have less loot in them and are needlessly larger in general. Cities have more individual houses as a result, there's probably the same amount of loot overall as the old map it just makes it more of a pain in the rear end.
- Houses have windows facing forwards and backwards but none on the sides. Some buildings have windows which seem to be purposefully designed to be impossible to shoot out of, and it's only made worse with the ARMA style gun control.
- Larger buildings/apartments now have dozens of windows on each side, have fun playing where's waldo in the middle of a big city trying to figure out which of the 63 currently visible windows someone is lean peeking through to shoot you while only exposing 30% of their head.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

The Mash posted:

Here's a tip for you. Yes, YOU: Click the button faster when single-firing, no matter if it's with a red dot or a 4x, no matter the distance. You can click the button twice as fast as you're currently doing and still easily manage the recoil.

I wish!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My only requests:

1) A small next map.
2) Make it so you can't loot while moving. The looty wiggle dance is some dumb poo poo.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

2) Make it so you can't loot while moving. The looty wiggle dance is some dumb poo poo.

It's already super easy to kill people while they're looting, making it even easier would be a bad thing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elman posted:

It's already super easy to kill people while they're looting, making it even easier would be a bad thing.

It's still breaks the suspension of disbelief. So is jumping in the air and shooting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Now that the novelty has worn off for me the new map seems a lot worse than the old one in nearly every way.
- Half of the interesting/unique places are placed on the extreme edges of the map. Has anyone who made this map ever actually played the game at all because this is the most confusing part by far.

I think part of the problem might be because without the hefty amount of open water shrinking the edges of the map it makes it far too long of a journey to loot most of the outer edges of the map before the blue arrives, almost everytime I've dropped on the ruins on the desert map we'd have one or two people search for vehicles immediately but still get eaten by the blue because nothing spawns up there, I've tried the islands on the other side of the map and sometimes RNG can cause boats to not spawn at all on any island and then you got to swim for a good 3 minutes at the shortest crossing.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Ow my suspension of disbelief is broken! oof ouch

Looting bodies is enough of a trap as it stands. If people want to pee-pee dance while doing it so that they don't get domed while trying to split a stack of 7.62, then let em

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd love someone to ask them why they thought making another big map was a good idea when one of the major complaints is the original map being too dang big.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Honestly, I think right now the problem isn't map size, but the fact that everyone lands close together which leads to people dying early, making for a rather boring mid game.

That said all that map size comes to waste since final circles tend to end up somewhere in the middle anyway:

They need to rework the circle picking algorithm to pick the circles in reverse order, evening the odds a little.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've played like 900 games and I've had maybe one circle end anywhere close to Zharki. At best it'll put it on the cliffside in between Sev and Zharki but Zharki itself? Nah.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’ve had exactly one near Zharki. The final circle was in that cool wheat field with all the hills southeast of Zharki. It ended up being a lot of fun and I wish more games ended in places that weren’t just an open field or a hillside with tree cover. All my really memorable end games were in places with unique geographical features.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Map
- Larger than the old map, despite old map being arguably too big already. Largeness is exaggerated by it being in a desert environment which means relatively little tree cover and now there's more than a few large wastelands with absolutely nothing in them.
- The blue circle at times is almost impossible to see ingame due to the map being so much brighter, this can easily gently caress you up big time in the final few circles.

Vehicles
- VW Van is practically useless off of paved roads or on anything steeper than the slightest vertical incline.
- The truck spins out almost as much as the buggy and is oddly unstable at high speeds. Isn't that bad for the map but it is garbage compared to the UAZ after the 1.0 vehicle physics changes.

Buildings
- Most if not all buildings have less loot in them and are needlessly larger in general. Cities have more individual houses as a result, there's probably the same amount of loot overall as the old map it just makes it more of a pain in the rear end.
- Houses have windows facing forwards and backwards but none on the sides. Some buildings have windows which seem to be purposefully designed to be impossible to shoot out of, and it's only made worse with the ARMA style gun control.
- Larger buildings/apartments now have dozens of windows on each side, have fun playing where's waldo in the middle of a big city trying to figure out which of the 63 currently visible windows someone is lean peeking through to shoot you while only exposing 30% of their head.

hoo boy this is just whiney

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Odobenidae posted:

Vehicles

this applies to the blazer style SUV but not the pickup truck. the blazer definitely gets hairy when you are at 90-100% of max speed.

i really like the pickup truck

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I like both maps :shrug: However as said I'd love for Bluehole to improve the circle algorithm and make it end in some improbable place sometimes instead of most of the time going for the same set of places.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there should be a minimum density of trees/buildings for final circles unless it's a wheat field

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

this applies to the blazer style SUV but not the pickup truck. the blazer definitely gets hairy when you are at 90-100% of max speed.

i really like the pickup truck
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44
The trucks are fun to drive. I only which I could be more precise with my inputs, or you spend a like half a second turning the wheel before you are full lock, so I could control the oversteer better.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Elman posted:

That said all that map size comes to waste since final circles tend to end up somewhere in the middle
They need to rework the circle picking algorithm to pick the circles in reverse order, evening the odds a little.

How did you get that data? I always assumed that they picked the final circle first, but clearly they don't.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

accipter posted:

How did you get that data? I always assumed that they picked the final circle first, but clearly they don't.

If the did pick the final circle first, we would occasionally see a game end in Campo Militar or near Prison, or at Stalber. But no.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

accipter posted:

pretty sure its calculated exactly when the previous one closes to stop people cheating

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

underage at the vape shop posted:

pretty sure its calculated exactly when the previous one closes to stop people cheating

Eh ... There's no technical reason that the server couldn't pre-calculate the circles. It just shouldn't send the circles to the clients until the previous one closes. The clients are hackable but so far I don't think cheaters are hacking the game servers.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

no one tell him

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

accipter posted:

Not sure, someone posted it on reddit. It definitely rings true though, this is bound to happen if you just choose every circle sequentially.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If the did pick the final circle first, we would occasionally see a game end in Campo Militar or near Prison, or at Stalber. But no.

I actually had a game end in the northern side of Stalber mountain just a few days ago. There's nothing stopping the game from just choosing an area near the sides of the map multiple times in a row, it's just less likely.

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 26, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Eh ... There's no technical reason that the server couldn't pre-calculate the circles. It just shouldn't send the circles to the clients until the previous one closes. The clients are hackable but so far I don't think cheaters are hacking the game servers.

i dont remember were i read it but i remember reading somewhere that they calculate them on the fly so there is 0 chance of someone fooling the server into sending them the final locations

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hit a sniper with a truck.

I love this game.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Accretionist posted:

Hit a sniper with a truck.

I love this game.

i was shooting some guy driving his buggy up a hill and blew out both of his tires so he couldnt accelerate up the hill any more...he hopped out and got run over by his own vehicle :yeah:

Serjeant Darkstar
Dec 27, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Vehicles

Mystery machine is the pistol of vehicles.

I like the idea that we have different guns and gear with different levels and that is cool because big part of pubg is to improvise, adapt and survive with the random stuff you are given. But the van is REALLY useless right now, climbing a hill slowly and making noise is a guaranteed way to get yourself killed. Maybe make it a little faster (or like with a little more torque) and with suspension and tires that don't do well offroad just like it is right now. Well, one might argue that it can be used just like a pistol: when there are no other options but still :/

And yeah, I agree that some of the interesting places are just too far. It actually took some time before I realised that Campo Militaire even exists, I think that I somehow mentally excluded it just because of the extreme location.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Make it leave a cloud of smoke to indicate that the people inside are all getting high af on dank weed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The van probably shouldn't run out of gas in a minute and a half.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i dont remember were i read it but i remember reading somewhere that they calculate them on the fly so there is 0 chance of someone fooling the server into sending them the final locations

I wouldn't be surprised to learn their netcode is that horrible, but by no means has to be that way.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The mystery machine is very realistic, in that you might need to get out and push it up that hill.

I've had more than one giggle when trying to hump its fat rear end up a hill.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Have dirt bikes spawn in pairs occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

The dirt bikes and crates are the most fun parts of this game. High octane action