Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Those look great! How long have you been tying flies? I know myself well enough to know that I will probably be dabbling in that before long if I enjoy flyfishing and choose to continue doing it.

Anybody have fishing plans for the upcoming season? I was trying to think of something that would get posters to crawl out of the woodwork, like they did when the topic of irritating bystanders where you fish came up.

Also, if anybody is even vaguely curious about ordering stuff from AliExpress, this is really the ideal time to do it. Your stuff will take a while to ship, so it's better to do that now, before you actually need it. Also Chinese New Year is coming up in a couple of weeks and nothing is going to ship during that holiday time. If you want anything by March, there is little time to waste. I'm going to pick up a couple of these $10 spinning rods to use as loaners or convenient car rods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I'm planning on fishing next weekend! My mom wanted to take my boys to Monster Jam and she's bringing my grandparents down. Hoping to get Gramps hooked into a fat trout. We've been trout fishing together since I was a wee lad but mostly the little DFW (department of fish and wildlife) planted trout up in the Sierras. The lake trout down here are substantially bigger since they're stocked by non DFW hatcheries. They drop a couple 12 lbers in every once in a while.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Those look great! How long have you been tying flies? I know myself well enough to know that I will probably be dabbling in that before long if I enjoy flyfishing and choose to continue doing it.

Anybody have fishing plans for the upcoming season? I was trying to think of something that would get posters to crawl out of the woodwork, like they did when the topic of irritating bystanders where you fish came up.

Also, if anybody is even vaguely curious about ordering stuff from AliExpress, this is really the ideal time to do it. Your stuff will take a while to ship, so it's better to do that now, before you actually need it. Also Chinese New Year is coming up in a couple of weeks and nothing is going to ship during that holiday time. If you want anything by March, there is little time to waste. I'm going to pick up a couple of these $10 spinning rods to use as loaners or convenient car rods.

I'll be planning another fishing and diving trip out to Belize, and I plan on hitting the Deckers area and more of the headwater area of Boulder Creek.

If I knew there were some Boulder/Denver goons interested in fishing, I'd be game to meet up to do some fishing. The warm days we have in the middle of winter still produce trout!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

gamera009 posted:

I'll be planning another fishing and diving trip out to Belize, and I plan on hitting the Deckers area and more of the headwater area of Boulder Creek.

If I knew there were some Boulder/Denver goons interested in fishing, I'd be game to meet up to do some fishing. The warm days we have in the middle of winter still produce trout!

Where do you fish out in Belize? I do arch research out there and have a few days off every field season.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Where do you fish out in Belize? I do arch research out there and have a few days off every field season.

San Pedro/Ambergris Caye near Hol Chan. The VRBO options are cheap as hell and the fishing is loving fantastic.

I was just loving around with dry/drop flies to nab sardines that I flipped around and used as bait for larger fish. I need to actually practice streamer fishing so I can shoot bonefish and small cuda near the piers.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

gamera009 posted:

The warm days we have in the middle of winter still produce trout!

Here in north Georgia, we have been doing better on the cold as hell days where we probably shouldn't even have been in the water than on the 50-60 degree days :iiam:

All my friends wanted to go back to Fires this week, which is a doubled edged sword, because it's fun to fish with them, but they're all cold killers and fly fishing guides, so sharing the water with them means stiff competition from people who won't leave any trout that will eat. One of them caught a big huge brown that we are about 99% sure is the same one I posted last week. Highlight for me was hooking up on a soft hackle that I tied using my dog's hair as dubbing

I may go to Belize for some bonefish in April as well, but if not I will probably fly down to Florida for a few days. Sometimes I start spending a pretty unhealthy amount of time thinking about saltwater fish and the only thing that helps is throwing flies at them (I am not good at saltwater fly fishing yet). Other than that, trout in NE Georgia/W North Carolina every week until the water starts getting hot, then I will switch to LMB out of my kayak. I'm also trying to figure out a way to do a trip to Asheville for musky, which is only like two hours away, but I think it is gonna require a substantial time investment to get hooked up to one.

I also tied my first big saltwater streamer this week

e: that caddis nymph looks great a foolish pianist. I absolutely believe that trout pick out UV fluorescent materials (like insect exoskeletons)

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 27, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Please stop posting you're 1) Making me look bad and 2) making me want to learn fly fishing

(Actually post a lot please this is good stuff)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I had a kayak fishing comp in Portland, Victoria (important distinction) this weekend. I took Thursday off work and headed across, it's about a 4.5 hour drive from Melbourne and I got there around mid morning. My plan was to catch some squid and couta the day before the comp to use as bait, but despite several hours on the water I couldn't catch a thing. The wind was up which made fishing unpleasant so I gave up and went to the tackle shop and bought some frozen mackerel.

Comp day came and it was still loving windy for kayak fishing. 14 knots gusting to 17 and it was hard work pushing into that. I stayed in close and tried to start a drift over the reef but the wind had me drifting too fast so I gave up and came in. About half an hour after I came in a call came over the radio from a bloke in a Hobie AI that had started to fill with water, and the organiser told me that another bloke had capsized his yak just 100m out. Not long after that the wind got too bad and everyone was called back in.

Day 3 came, and it was still pretty windy. I decided to check out a rock ledge nearby with a view to fishing it at some stage. It was a very impressive spot but you definitely need two people and a long gaff to land a fish there so I didn't stay around. By lunch time the wind had died enough to get the kayaks on the water and I spent an unproductive 4 hours paddling around looking for fish. So far it had been a decidedly vegan friendly fishing trip.

Day 4 came around, and it was perfect. Little to no wind, low swell and temperature in the high 30s.

We made our way to the ramp and it was mint

After the loving easterlies we'd put up with over the last few days it was just good to be able to enjoy being out on the water. My sounder died so I was fishing blind which was pretty frustrating though.

It took an hour or so but I finally got the first fish (cephalopod actually) of the trip. He went straight on a 5/0 and was dropped behind the yak.

The guys I was fishing with found a school of big kingfish, and I could see them swimming around under the yak but they had zero interest in the baits I had out for them. This went on for a while until the other two headed back in with kayaks full off fish. I couldn't see the schools down deep due to the sounder, so I just trolled around aimlessly. I met up with another guy from the comp who was fishing much further out. We came across a school of Australian salmon feeding on something on the surface, but they were easily spooked and the lures splashing on the surface was enough to have them scatter. I got one, but let it go.

It was getting on, and I had a long drive home ahead of me so we headed in slowly. I was trolling my last bit of bait, the cuttlefish head when there was a huge whack on that rod. I looked around and saw some huge, yellow striped silhouettes swirling around the bait, one of them darted towards it and I felt a solid hookup. After 3 days of catching gently caress all the sound of the Slammer's drag getting tortured was music to my ears. It was a pretty big fish, and it towed me around for about 25 minutes before I got it up to the surface, every now and then it went on a scorching run like I've never had before from a fish. The other kayaker came up and loaned me his gaff and next thing I had my first kingy bled out in the fish bag.

It went just over a meter long, and it weighed 9.5kg when cleaned.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have a small rod I want to set up so I can use it for panfish when the bass aren't biting. I live in the Northeast. What's a good hook/bait setup?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have a small rod I want to set up so I can use it for panfish when the bass aren't biting. I live in the Northeast. What's a good hook/bait setup?

Panfish will take literally anything that looks vaguely buggy or wormy. I once tied a bit of my own navel lint to a hook and caught bluegill on it. If you're able to tie or get hold of flies, soft beadhead caddis nymphs in larger sizes - 14 to 10, probably - just kill, and if you're casting a spinning rod with a float and split shot, it'll be just like fishing bait.

If you're more into topwater action, small frogs or poppers are also awesome, and it just feels more exciting to entice a fish to strike at the surface.

I use a lot of these (the two on the bottom):

Those are smaller, on size 16 hooks, but they still got me plenty of smaller sunfish, chubs, and shiners.

EDIT: I do a lot of fly tying, especially for tenkara/keiryu fishing, and I've been thinking of putting together a big tying post. There are at least a few other flyfishing/tenkara folks who post around, and it'd be fun.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 28, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fly reel received!

I'm obviously not expert but it seems legit to me. Chuck, you mentioned picking some up in numbers: please don't base your decision on that amateur appraisal. I'd confidently say that you wouldn't be wasting your time if you were to order a sample one to get it into your hands, though. It doesn't feel like flimsy garbage.

gay picnic defence posted:

Incredible post with beautiful pictures

Dude I was hoping we'd hear from you about this! Sucks that it was so slow going at first, but that kingy fight sounds nuts on a kayak. Well done! What's it taste like?

a foolish pianist posted:

Panfish will take literally anything that looks vaguely buggy or wormy. I once tied a bit of my own navel lint to a hook and caught bluegill on it.

They really will eat anything. I've heard stories of them hitting cigarette butts, but that's hearsay.

For an effective and cheap panfish bait, put some cut up hotdogs and garlic powder in a ziplock bag and let it sit for a while if you can. My niece and nephew were getting yellow sunfish on the hook every time they put bait in front of the fish.

quote:

EDIT: I do a lot of fly tying, especially for tenkara/keiryu fishing, and I've been thinking of putting together a big tying post. There are at least a few other flyfishing/tenkara folks who post around, and it'd be fun.

Please do this! Fly tying is both cool and mystifying.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Not mine, but my buddy I surf fish with limited last weekend. He lives like an hour closer to the coast than I do and I'm jealous as gently caress about it. Next time we go out, we're specifically going to look for spots on the beach with lots of sand shrimp shows and be more willing to move if we're not getting bites. We have a tendency to be too stubborn in bad fishing spots and thinking it's patience. It's not.

Also, we briefly mentioned books earlier in the thread. I am a nerd who likes books, so I have a couple to recommend. Most if not all can be found used.

The Complete Guide to Surfcasting by Joe Cermere - ISBN: 978-1580801676

Surf fishing is so fun. If you live anywhere near the ocean, go surf fishing.

Notley's Ultimate Guide ... Saltwater Fishing Rigs & Knots by Larry V. Notley - ISBN: 978-1571884824

This is a good reference book and has lots of species-specific rig information. You could argue that it's not going to teach you anything that you couldn't find on the internet, but I thought it was helpful when I was starting out and I still use it for reference.

The Complete Fishing Manual by Henry Gilbey - ISBN: 978-0756682293

If you have no idea how to get started fishing, this is a fairly comprehensive general introduction. Also it usually costs less than $2 used, so that's cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone want to take a trip to Manitoba?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...source=facebook

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I loving do now! I had no idea that walleye could get that large. Speaking of ice fishing, anybody have any luck?

My fly rod gear has started to trickle in. Braid, fly line, and tippet spools arrived yesterday and the rod should be delivered today. :stoked:

I've started to make some fishing plans for the year, too. I'm going to be travelling a lot, and hopefully I'll be able to bring a rod and reel with me in my suitcase. I might be able to go fishing on the Loire River in near Orleans in September, which I'm trying not to get too excited about in case it falls through. In more immediately attainable goals, local bottomfish season opens in about a month and I'm already researching charters. Some of them are lingcod/rockfish/salmon combo trips, which would be like winning the PNW fish lottery to me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You should go to Port Stephens instead, I guarantee the weather would be nicer
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...201-h0rpqi.html

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Just made a video of tying a simple caddis nymph. Making the video was way harder than just tying the fly - in addition to having to work around the camera and tripod (which was where my left arm seemed to want to be most of the time), narrating while working without sounding like an idiot is something I'll have to get better at.

Anyway, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l9kCbN9JzY

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Didn't make it out this weekend. My grandparents got the flu and couldn't come down ☹️

On the plus side, my mom took me, two of my boys, and my two friends to Monster Jam tonight and I saw monster trucks do backflips so that was cool.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just learned I'm gonna be spending six weeks on cape cod this summer. How stoked should I be for the fishing there? I've never been to New England.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hooplah posted:

I just learned I'm gonna be spending six weeks on cape cod this summer. How stoked should I be for the fishing there? I've never been to New England.

Its pretty awful for fishing. Y'see, it's one of those ironic names like Little John

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Hooplah posted:

I grew up in New England, and spent some time on the Cape a few times. Everyone there dresses like this year-round:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

More taunts from my fishing buddy from yesterday:

This is loving cruel. :( The one on the left is over 2 lbs. It's not a state record or anything but it's certainly the record from our experience. I hope we do well next Saturday. I need to catch some loving redtails!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Went out to one of the lakes for some trout this morning. They planted on Wednesday so I was expecting to limit out quick and be home in time for a pre-lunch nap. Alas, I only caught 1 little guy today. I musta seen 35 trout pulled out around the lake, but they seemed to only be biting on mice tails and power bait today. I'm not really a bait soaking kinda guy. The day was actually pretty great though! I hooked into a fat little bass on my ultra light and it was a great fight. I could tell pretty quick he wasn't a trout from the way it fought, was lots of fun. I think I foul hooked a carp too. Something was on my line and it kept peelin' line and resisting any efforts I put into controlling him. My lure popped off and it had a big fat scale on it, lol.

Bass pic:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nice accidental winter bass! What did you catch it on?

Anybody want a 5g silver dick spoon? Potentially :nws: if your boss is a real square.

PM me if you want one. They are free, but come with the stipulation that you need to attempt to catch a fish with the dick spoon and post a pic of it if successful.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

One of these little guys, my fav trout bait: http://sierraslammers.com/miniswimbaits.html

The bass ate the hitch color, the trout I caught that day went after the margarita, and I've had lots of luck with blue shiner at that lake.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anybody want a 5g silver dick spoon? Potentially :nws: if your boss is a real square.

PM me if you want one. They are free, but come with the stipulation that you need to attempt to catch a fish with the dick spoon and post a pic of it if successful.

Save one for me. That will go nicely with my dooky jig as a flasher.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

One of these little guys, my fav trout bait: http://sierraslammers.com/miniswimbaits.html

The bass ate the hitch color, the trout I caught that day went after the margarita, and I've had lots of luck with blue shiner at that lake.

Damm, those little lures make Keitech's stuff look reasonably priced.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Save one for me. That will go nicely with my dooky jig as a flasher.

You got it! I have four left to give away.

joem83 posted:

Excellent, thanks! Do you use the jighead that appears to come with them? I assume you're not Carolina rigging them if you aren't into bait/soak fishing. Think they'd bite a dick spoon?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah they're not cheap, I just haven't really shopped around for a cheaper alternative. They have great action, like little tiny keitechs. I've caught several fish on a single lure though, with the main problem being the bait holder tearing holes in the plastic. Some super glue would probably lengthen the lifespan though.

re: jig head, yeah I use a little 1/16oz jig head just like the one in the picture. They only include the one jig head in there, but I have a bunch of extras I bought from somewhere for cheap. When I fish them, I just slowwwww roll it in with a little pop or pause here and there, trying to keep it where I think the fishies are floating. The tail flutters on the fall, too. I've had trout hit them while they were sinking.

As for the dick spoon, lol, I don't know if I'm brave enough to tie on a shiny little silver penis. I can only imagine the look my grandfather would give me if he were to see.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'd happily troll a shiny metal dick behind the kayak. We've got heaps of dumb, aggressive predators that would have zero hesitation gobbling that thing down.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah they're not cheap, I just haven't really shopped around for a cheaper alternative. They have great action, like little tiny keitechs. I've caught several fish on a single lure though, with the main problem being the bait holder tearing holes in the plastic. Some super glue would probably lengthen the lifespan though.

The little SK swimmers are like 7 for $5, so a little cheaper. The big ones dont wiggle as well as Keitechs on a slow-roll, but the little ones should be pretty close. I wanna say LunkerCity sells some tiny little paddle tails as well.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

The little SK swimmers are like 7 for $5, so a little cheaper. The big ones dont wiggle as well as Keitechs on a slow-roll, but the little ones should be pretty close. I wanna say LunkerCity sells some tiny little paddle tails as well.

Those look pretty drat close, they're just .75" bigger, not sure if that would be too big of a presentation for some of the smaller dudes. These might be a cheaper alternative: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Hammer_2_Swimbait_Tails/descpage-BIGHAMT.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

As for the dick spoon, lol, I don't know if I'm brave enough to tie on a shiny little silver penis. I can only imagine the look my grandfather would give me if he were to see.

Haha, fair enough. Everybody's different! That's kind of funny, though, because this is exactly the kind of thing that would have sent my fishing grandpa into a laughing fit. :v:

I'd happily troll a shiny metal dick behind the kayak. We've got heaps of dumb, aggressive predators that would have zero hesitation gobbling that thing down.

Will do! PM me shipping info; this things are small and light, so hopefully it won't cost $30 to send one to Australia. If so, I'll order another one for you and let China Post deal with it.

Also, is 5g going to be a large enough lure? I got these little giveaway ones with trout in mind, but if you're going to be trolling for larger things I would be willing to spring for a larger one. There are a couple of different color options, too, so if there is a specific color that slays down there, let me know.

Three dick spoons remain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Those look pretty drat close, they're just .75" bigger, not sure if that would be too big of a presentation for some of the smaller dudes. These might be a cheaper alternative: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Hammer_2_Swimbait_Tails/descpage-BIGHAMT.html

Those are cute. I have a really strong memory of having seem reasonably priced 2" swimbaits somewhere, I'll rack my brain about it tonight to see if I can remember.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Those are cute. I have a really strong memory of having seem reasonably priced 2" swimbaits somewhere, I'll rack my brain about it tonight to see if I can remember.

Did you ever get out to the pier after that crazy storm? Also I'm taking your old casting rod out this weekend. Maybe after a few hours of practice and weeping I'll be able to build up some confidence.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Did you ever get out to the pier after that crazy storm? Also I'm taking your old casting rod out this weekend. Maybe after a few hours of practice and weeping I'll be able to build up some confidence.

Nope, I spent a lovely afternoon catching stockers (I got ~25 in like an hour and a half, dude next to me got like 40) and have been struggling with bass ever since.

This sad little bastard is my only 2018 bass so far.

I did pick up a bass-rear end rod, its a Legend Inshore ExtraLight/Mod, it might be the prefect 1/16-1/8oz inline spinner rod ever.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Will do! PM me shipping info; this things are small and light, so hopefully it won't cost $30 to send one to Australia. If so, I'll order another one for you and let China Post deal with it.

Also, is 5g going to be a large enough lure? I got these little giveaway ones with trout in mind, but if you're going to be trolling for larger things I would be willing to spring for a larger one. There are a couple of different color options, too, so if there is a specific color that slays down there, let me know.

Three dick spoons remain.
PM sent.

Tiny lures are fine for big fish, they often feed on little whitebait so and targeting them using little metal slices is pretty common. I'd just have to upsize the leader to 50lb or something toothy like a couta might swallow the thing whole and bite it off. I'd also put a decent size Decoy inline single hook on it because chinese hooks can be pretty rubbish

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dick lure inbound to Australia!

I have plans to go to the coast this weekend, but the forecast has gone from being the best day of the week to lovely and stormy with 30mph wind coming straight off the water. I'm hoping for the best, but I need to put a Plan B together. I'd really like to catch fish this weekend. :(

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Got my first proper baitcaster today

I doubt it'll see much use because I much prefer to fish in saltwater but I'm sure there's gonna be some lovely windy weekends perfect for chasing cod up the river

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

So I take it that Australian cod is about as close to cod as Australian salmon is to salmon?

Are you experienced with baitcasters?

edit: Oh, and only two dick spoons left. Claim yours now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Got my first proper baitcaster today

I doubt it'll see much use because I much prefer to fish in saltwater but I'm sure there's gonna be some lovely windy weekends perfect for chasing cod up the river

not sure why I immediately jumped to you putting the reel on backwards, then realized that the tip of the rod is possibly pointed left :derp:

edit: Oh, and only two dick spoons left. Claim yours now!

I'll take one, where should I paypal to cover the shipping and stuff?