Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i mean, i understand the reaction about this because as this tweet points out, no one actually pays attention to what judges say most of the time, probably because your average trial isn't blasted on every major news outlet as well as ESPN. i highly doubt there will be a larger trend of looking at what judges say but i don't think "well clearly everyone complaining about this is dumb because it happens all the time and no one cares" isn't the most honest argument because most people probably wouldn't even think to look at this sort of thing.

https://twitter.com/emilybazelon/status/956364314511847424

https://twitter.com/emilybazelon/status/956582243652292610

https://twitter.com/emilybazelon/status/956603106745298944

https://twitter.com/emilybazelon/status/956603975444451328

I'm personally of the opinion that the only thing I heard from the judge that I thought was not proper judge behavior was the line about cruel and unusual punishment because a judge giving weight to the idea of retributive prison rape, even in a hypothetical sense, is alarming. (and to head anyone off at the pass, if you want to find more examples of this sort of thing happening go ahead but I'm sure I'll give you the same "that is also wrong and i didn't know that judges telling convicts that they should/deserve to get raped was even an issue" response)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god :suicide:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/25/president-simon-resignation-msu-nassar/1064398001/

quote:

Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon's resignation Wednesday night kicked in a number of special benefits she'll receive, including lifetime free tickets to MSU football games and a 12-month paid research leave if she returns to the faculty.
"In the 200+ presidential contracts we’ve reviewed, this is the only contract that provides for the president to receive 100% of their last presidential base salary for the first year that they return to the faculty," James Finkelstein, a professor emeritus at the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University and the leading researcher of presidential pay, told the Free Press in an e-mail.
"This means that Dr. Simon will be paid at least $750,000 for her first year returning to the faculty from her research leave. After that, she will be paid 75% of that base salary, or at least $562,500 per year. Dr. Simon’s field is higher education. She received her PhD in education from MSU in 1974.

"So based on this contract, it would appear that Dr. Simon will be paid more than twice the amount of the most highly paid faculty member in the College of Education. In addition, she will be paid more than the most highly paid faculty member in the entire university, C. Konrad Gelbke who makes $433,441. He is one of the world’s leading physicists."

The contract also spells out a number of lifetime perks Simon and her husband will receive.

Parking passes for on-campus parking
Two free tickets to home football games for the Spartan Club suites
Two free tickets to women's basketball games
The option to buy up to four men's basketball tickets in the same location she currently has seats
Reduced-price tickets for bowl games and post-season play for football, men's and women's basketball and ice hockey
Parking pass for all home sporting and cultural events

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Obviously with 180+ victims coming forward, it's pretty loving clear Nassar did all those awful things. My worry would be if there was a case like that where the accused were innocent and supposed victims (maybe unaware that the prosecution found the wrong person) started shouting awful things at them for things they didn't do. The Central Park five come to mind. That said, it's an extremely specific example, and I don't think would happen often, especially in the case where there are multiple victims.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Obviously with 180+ victims coming forward, it's pretty loving clear Nassar did all those awful things. My worry would be if there was a case like that where the accused were innocent and supposed victims (maybe unaware that the prosecution found the wrong person) started shouting awful things at them for things they didn't do. The Central Park five come to mind. That said, it's an extremely specific example, and I don't think would happen often, especially in the case where there are multiple victims.

The victim statements all happened during the sentencing phase though; legally speaking the person is not innocent at that point

The judge was dumb as poo poo when she said she'd let people sexually abuse Nassar if it weren't for the 8th amendment but other than that I can't see anything she did wrong.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

I get that, but the victims (e: all the closing speeches we heard, not women/girls who testified during trial I should be clear) all only spoke after he was convicted and there was such a gigantic mountain of evidence against him in the trial that made it a fairly easy conviction. It's not like they were letting random people off the street come in and scream at him.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that the only thing I heard from the judge that I thought was not proper judge behavior was the line about cruel and unusual punishment because a judge giving weight to the idea of retributive prison rape, even in a hypothetical sense, is alarming. (and to head anyone off at the pass, if you want to find more examples of this sort of thing happening go ahead but I'm sure I'll give you the same "that is also wrong and i didn't know that judges telling convicts that they should/deserve to get raped was even an issue" response)

Personally I also found the line about her having 'just signed [his] death warrant' a bit disturbing.

Yes, maybe she was just implying that he'll die in prison of old age but its an odd way to put it. I think as a judge you have to be extra careful not to appear to say that extra-judicial punishment is OK or something that you'd like to see, which unfortunately she absolutely did by saying she'd like to see him sexually assaulted.

I mean I don't think she did anything wrong in terms of sentencing and I think allowing the victim impact statements was a definite good move and a positive one for the victims of sexual assault everywhere. I was just a bit taken aback by her lack of what you could call professional detachment.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nassar wasn't even licensed to practice medicine there?????

So many loving people need to go to prison for loving ever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He was an osteopathic physician, which I can't believe is a real thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oracle posted:

Could always just make the Big 10 10 again. Isn’t it up to 12 now or something?

the big 10 has 14 teams, the big 12 has 10.

jfc

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He was an osteopathic physician, which I can't believe is a real thing.

Osteopaths are basically the same as allopaths (MDs). Slightly different training, same legal ability to practice medicine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

no.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

I'm excited to see Michigan State's expulsion from the Big Ten, to give that spot to Notre Dame, only to have Notre Dame get immediately expelled for maybe Grand Valley State?

They will take the bullet Michigan should’ve taken in 2008 and switch places with Toledo

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't get it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mind_Taker posted:

I don't get it.

It a word that's typically used by practitioners of various flavours of woo to refer to what would more accurately and descriptively be termed "evidence-based medicine" or "scientific medicine."

If you break down the word, "allo" comes from the Greek word for "other," as if it's evidence-based medicine that's odd compared to things like homeopathy and other nonsense.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

PT6A posted:

It a word that's typically used by practitioners of various flavours of woo to refer to what would more accurately and descriptively be termed "evidence-based medicine" or "scientific medicine."

If you break down the word, "allo" comes from the Greek word for "other," as if it's evidence-based medicine that's odd compared to things like homeopathy and other nonsense.
It's a bit harsh to call homeopathy nonsense. The placebo effect is real and homeopathy is an effective way to utilise it. It won't cure anyone of serious medical issues but as treatment for stress, pain, fatigue, nausea etc etc it can be pretty effective.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Flayer posted:

It's a bit harsh to call homeopathy nonsense. The placebo effect is real and homeopathy is an effective way to utilise it. It won't cure anyone of serious medical issues but as treatment for stress, pain, fatigue, nausea etc etc it can be pretty effective.

No actually it's completely appropriate to call homeopathy nonsense. In fact, I can scarcely think of a more appropriate thing to call it. "Bullshit", perhaps? "Predatory snake oil sold by scam artists?"

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

I was unaware of that, my apologies. I believe that DOs are often referred to as osteopaths and as far as I'm aware there is no negative connotation with that word, so I figured the same was true of MDs and the word allopath.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 26, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't an osteopath a bone doctor?

E: Huh, no apparently it's basically just the word for people who like pretending to be physiotherapists.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 26, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GobiasIndustries posted:

I get that, but the victims (e: all the closing speeches we heard, not women/girls who testified during trial I should be clear) all only spoke after he was convicted and there was such a gigantic mountain of evidence against him in the trial that made it a fairly easy conviction. It's not like they were letting random people off the street come in and scream at him.

Yeah, I get that. The Central Park Five popped into my head thinking about it (even to this day Trump thinks they're guilty despite the actual perpetrator admitting to it and his DNA matching!), but there was only 1 victim at the time, so it's not like there would have been lots of victim statements. But if it came out we did some sort of public shaming only to find out years later that the accused were innocent, I'd be pretty upset. And it's not as if our legal system hasn't thrown innocent people in prison before. Again, I think it's fine for this case. It's more of a "looking forward" thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

You're thinking of orthopedics

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

E: Huh, no apparently it's basically just the word for people who like pretending to be physiotherapists.

That would be an osteologist.

Edit:
Wait, that's a form of anthropology and archaeology. Whoops.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The only profession where 'pulling a boner' is a positive outcome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't exactly one branch of medicine covering the bones; an orthopedic surgeon will do your knee surgery, a hematologist is concerned with your marrow, and if there's any question of cancer he calls the oncologist and the pathologist.

Then you call your pathologist's office and are like "Hey, this guy's name is on my bill, but he never saw me." And I say "He had a long conversation with your biopsy. If you saw him you'd be dead. Wakka wakka!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A DO is a Doctor of Osteopathy, which goes through all the same medical training as an MD and is recognized as a legitimate doctor in all 50 states and most countries around the world. It used to emphasize osteopathy (the manipulation of the muscles/skeleton to cure disease) but obviously that has fallen by the wayside in recent years. They do still get trained in osteopathic-type practices in addition to all of the regular training an MD goes through, but it isn't really emphasized much.

Long story short: DOs and MDs aren't that different anymore.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mahoning posted:

A DO is a Doctor of Osteopathy, which goes through all the same medical training as an MD and is recognized as a legitimate doctor in all 50 states and most countries around the world. It used to emphasize osteopathy (the manipulation of the muscles/skeleton to cure disease) but obviously that has fallen by the wayside in recent years. They do still get trained in osteopathic-type practices in addition to all of the regular training an MD goes through, but it isn't really emphasized much.

Long story short: DOs and MDs aren't that different anymore.

DOs are more often kinda sucky, according to the MDs I know. Nor do they make it into the competitive specialties at nearly the same rate.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Hollis is out as AD at MSU.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/01/26/michigan-state-university-mark-hollis-resigns/1068989001/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If anything draws out the Sparty version of Paterno defenders I'm betting it will be this

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Almost the entirety of my dad's side of the family went to Michigan State, including him. The last couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster, and the Facebook comments have been crazy. Lots of "But think of the kids!" when I suggest that maybe the MSU athletic department as a whole should face serious consequences for this.

I now know how people related to Penn State alumni felt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Think of the kids" is a weird way to argue against rooting out people who harbour child molesters.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

OwlFancier posted:

"Think of the kids" is a weird way to argue against rooting out people who harbour child molesters.

You'd think so, but the argument seems to be "But what about the kids whose dream it was to play for MSU? What about them??"

If I wanted to start an actual fight I'd suggest giving them scholarships to Michigan or Ohio State.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

If anything draws out the Sparty version of Paterno defenders I'm betting it will be this

Yeah I haven’t brought any of this up with my dad yet and now I’m definitely not going to because I really don’t know where he’s going to land on this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I haven’t brought any of this up with my dad yet and now I’m definitely not going to because I really don’t know where he’s going to land on this.

I'm going to but my dad lately has taken up the devil's advocate position on literally everything I talk to him about and also thought Penn State's bowl ban being lifted early was a good thing so I don't know if I want to.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Putting "Team MSU" first is exactly what she did wrong. I can't believe her audacity putting that in her statement.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Polaron posted:

You'd think so, but the argument seems to be "But what about the kids whose dream it was to play for MSU? What about them??"

If I wanted to start an actual fight I'd suggest giving them scholarships to Michigan or Ohio State.

Don’t most of the “kids” just want to play for a competitive program where they can show off their talents and then make it to the NFL or respective pro league for their sport?

It’s like fans taking trades more seriously than the players. Get real, 99% of players want to make money and win championships, they don’t give a gently caress about team pride or history or any of that bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

Don’t most of the “kids” just want to play for a competitive program where they can show off their talents and then make it to the NFL or respective pro league for their sport?

It’s like fans taking trades more seriously than the players. Get real, 99% of players want to make money and win championships, they don’t give a gently caress about team pride or history or any of that bullshit.

99% of players will never make money on sports or win a championship and they know that. There are 130 teams in Division I football alone and about a dozen of them can realistically compete for a title in a given year. Team pride and history is a huge recruiting tool. Players go to schools that suit their needs and interests for sports just like any other kid picking a college.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Outside The Lines is going all in on Dantonio and Izzo covering up player crimes.

16 football players accused of some kind of violence against women under Dantonio.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It looks like ESPN, via E60 on Sunday morning, is dropping the bomb on Michigan State football and basketball.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

Outside The Lines is going all in on Dantonio and Izzo covering up player crimes.

16 football players accused of some kind of violence against women under Dantonio.

Yeah....here comes the fun part :(

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/JLeBlanc_21/status/956951169393405955

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

AsInHowe posted:

Dantonio has booted off a lot of players during his time, so is ESPN bringing out new allegations?