Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are literally no similarities between Souls and MH games other than when you press a button you're committed to it and you have to learn boss patterns sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sakurazuka posted:

There are literally no similarities between Souls and MH games other than when you press a button you're committed to it and you have to learn boss patterns sometimes.

Okay guy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enlighten me then

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"Dark Souls -like" nowadays just means the game has a high skill floor and is similarly rewards said skill.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Read what I actually posted

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

you are an idiot and your family will die due to your Bloodborne fetish

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand you can still edit your post but you're committed to this quote forever.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wonder how many more families will be ruined by video games this year.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Please tell me what you would use to describe Monster Hunter Combat to modern gamers that would be a lot more familiar with Souls than they would be with any of the hunting games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FAUXTON posted:

On the other hand you can still edit your post but you're committed to this quote forever.

Still waiting to hear what the other similarities are

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

Please tell me what you would use to describe Monster Hunter Combat to modern gamers that would be a lot more familiar with Souls than they would be with any of the hunting games.

I would explain how the combat works instead of comparing it with a game it's not really like

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I would explain how the combat works instead of comparing it with a game it's not really like

Except you literally described the similarities any loving werdo would be able to infer from my post?

Stop being so defensivenes and protective over bloodborne. Thank you.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Imagine if everything in Dark Souls had 3x the animation lock, maybe more.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

Imagine if everything in Dark Souls had 3x the animation lock, maybe more.

True. But it feels so gooooooddd

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mh is just like dark souls if you deliberately ignore all the things different about it to troll dark souls players' expectations and make them have a bad first impression when they pick up a monster hunter game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Lmao I give up

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

Except you literally described the similarities any loving werdo would be able to infer from my post?

Stop being so defensivenes and protective over bloodborne. Thank you.

If I'm being defensive of anything it's first time MH players who are going into it expecting something it's not because of all the dumb Souls comparisons

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm sorry you're so offended that I compared one aspect of a game that you loving love to another game I apologize everyone I'm sorry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Smh at the missed opportunity to say Park Souls

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Monster Hunter World is the Persona 5 of Dark Souls

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the Persona 5 of Dark Souls

this should actually exist so i can date some monsters

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Monster Hunter World is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; Dark Souls-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Monster Hunter World Heroes!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All these jokes would be mad hilarious if I actually made a comparison like that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

this should actually exist so i can date some monsters

It'd be the Persona 5 of Bloodborne, more like.

"Your Insight isn't high enough to see what they really look like... :cthulhu:."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Norns posted:

All these jokes would be mad hilarious if I actually made a comparison like that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Norns posted:

It's gotten away from you, your only hope is to poo poo on persona 5

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Syndicate is the better game, but Unity is the more interesting one since I find that Syndicate did nothing new that other AC games didn't outside of giving you a grappling hook and honestly just feels like a reskin of the same old Assassins Creed formula whilst Unity feels like it was made by developers who never played an Assassins Creed before and had interesting ideas but absolutely no idea how to execute them.

Both aren't great, so take your pick.

It's meant to be a retelling of Soul Calibur 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Namco goes the Mortal Kombat 9 route and just reboots the series.
What. Syndicate mixed up a ton of poo poo - the controls were revamped, the dual protagonists, the gang stand offs, the Batman predator room type stuff when you’re in very vertical buildings with an objective, the mini assassination missions with bespoke little encounters, your home base that roams around the map where you go to pick up missions...

I’m really confused how someone can look at those two games and come to the conclusion that Syndicate did nothing new but Unity did. That’s baffling.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah I do get a little salty when people create loving arguments out of things I actually didn't say

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

If I'm being defensive of anything it's first time MH players who are going into it expecting something it's not because of all the dumb Souls comparisons

Please won't somebody think of the gamers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I agree with you as ever saky

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Norns posted:

True. But it feels so gooooooddd

Yeah I'm just joking around, my internet loving sucks or I'd have taken the day off to hunt some monsters with my palico.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Norns posted:

Yeah I do get a little salty when people create loving arguments out of things I actually didn't say

You're in too deep. The only way out of this is to attack Bloodborne directly and pray for a swift death.

Monster Hunter is real cool y'all. Regardless of your opinion on its relation to Dark Souls, it looks good and plays good, especially when compared it its predecessors. Swing around oversized weaponry and fell gigantic beasts!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everything about MH seems absolutely glacial compared to any other action game I’ve ever played. Are there fast builds or is everyone a giant Zweihander wielding barbarian?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything about MH seems absolutely glacial compared to any other action game I’ve ever played. Are there fast builds or is everyone a giant Zweihander wielding barbarian?

There's 14 different weapon types. Some of them are quite fast.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Use the Hunting Horn, love the Hunting Horn.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly all the weapons have this sort of jank to them thanks to the action committal that most of the weapons have. Some particularly speedy weapons include the Sword and Shield (has an infinite combo you can re-position yourself while doing), Dual Blades (slice slice slice), and the Insect Glaive (an aerial weapon that allows, among other things, air dashes)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Norns posted:

A lot of you that love souls/borne stuff should give Monster Hunter World a try.

We open. An appeal to broad appeal--Norns appears to be endeavoring to let the fans of a widely loved gaming franchise know that a new game contains elements similar to their perennial GOTY. New games are often the subject of well warranted skepticism; one cannot truly know how a game feels, what it is like to put our minds, our, and I hope you'll forgive me, souls, into that world, until the money has been spent. A comparison to a trusted source of escape, one that one already knows scratches those indescribable itches, can help communicate that incommunicable feeling if what it might be like to move through this new, unknown world.

quote:

Combat isn't identical or anything.

A hedge! He has herewith narrowed his comparison to the aforementioned beloved franchise. Combat is certainly one of the aspects of the Souls franchise and Bloodborne that is most often remarked upon. To find which aspects of the games are being compared, we must read more deeply into what Norns is telling us.

Norns continues:

quote:

But it definitely has similarities that work insanely good with what equates to constantly fighting giant loving boss monsters. And then wearing them

Ah, the grandeur of those foes, battled infrequently and having on average greater strength and stamina than preceeding opposition, often colloquially referred to as "bosses," and trophies taken thereof. While in Bloodborne a player doesn't have the ability to take trophies from enemies per se, in-game lore indicates several of the weapons and even costume items belonged previously to the beasts and kin you're slaughtering in your night of phantasmic terror or even to the elder terrors ultimately responsible for the whole affair, and the enemies you encounter are on more than occasion would easily qualify as what one might describe as "giant loving boss monsters."

Norns is specifically disqualifying the combat--excepting, perhaps, the anime-as-gently caress weaponry--from his comparison. He sees likenesses instead in the size and scale of the boss fights, and in the tangible connections between those bosses and the weaponry and items used to hunt them--a hunt in which the player has no possible hope of succeeding, a hunt against all odds.

Posters of the PlayStation4 thread of the Games subforum of these immortal, glorious dead gay forums, Norns comes to you to help you feed that primal urge, the one we all have, to look up, no, farther up, no, those are its nipples, farther, up, up, into the blazing eyes of an impossible enemy, to grip the ridiculously impractical sword-hammer-axe-cannon in our giant, stupid-looking riding glove, and perfectly time holding R2 until right before he lands that first hit. Don't close your hearts to him, open YouTube and recall the enormity of some of the cohort you faced in Bloodborne, and those you might face now in Monster Hunter.

"Giant loving boss monsters."

Cleric Beast, Paarl, Amelia, that big idiotic looking balloon head sucker finger thing you fight in the church--all giant. All boss monsters. All loving.

Thank you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

freeranger posted:

I know this gets asked every few pages, but my brother and his g/f are after some couch co-op games.

Open to any and all suggestions as they haven't given me any specific requirements.

And no, Bloodborne does not loving count as couch co-op

HELLDIVERS, depending on what kind of people they are

One of the best coop experiences you'll ever have with the right group, but requires you to play it the right way (ie not be a troll) or it will fall apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

freeranger posted:

I know this gets asked every few pages, but my brother and his g/f are after some couch co-op games.

Open to any and all suggestions as they haven't given me any specific requirements.

And no, Bloodborne does not loving count as couch co-op

who the hell recommended bloodborne as couch co-op?