Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

techbro coworkers are excitedly talking about how much they enjoy having fun exploiting people on fiverr

"that's what i love about it, everything's negotiable so you can get them to do whatever you want and even whittle them down on the price!!"

just walked by his desk and the motherfucker has the fuckin' GDAX bitcoin price chart fullscreen on one of his monitors

because of course he does

it must be very interesting and disturbing to work with uncanny-valley-type caricatures of real human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
most if my co-workers aren't bad about bubble stuff except for the one dude who spent tens of thousands of dollars on star citizen and more recently took out ten thousand dollars in credit card debt so he can mine bitcoin

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

exploded mummy posted:

most if my co-workers aren't bad about bubble stuff except for the one dude who spent tens of thousands of dollars on star citizen and more recently took out ten thousand dollars in credit card debt so he can mine bitcoin

i've really been avoiding the whole star citizen thing, so forgive my ignorance, but what are people dumping money into this game for? Did this dude's ten grand go towards dev costs, or is he buying in-game soylent or some poo poo?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

i've really been avoiding the whole star citizen thing, so forgive my ignorance, but what are people dumping money into this game for? Did this dude's ten grand go towards dev costs, or is he buying in-game soylent or some poo poo?

video game space ships

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

You buy pictures of starships and one day* you can fly them around in space or sell your virtual nonexistent spaceships to other suckers

*- eta: heat death of the universe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

video game space ships

:cripes:

exploded mummy posted:

You buy pictures of starships

:cripes:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

President Beep posted:

chris roberts made a popular video game series about a million years ago so now people are sending him money for cocaine and a promise of my_spaceship.jpg appearing in a game vastly less practical than a daikatana-no mans sky merger, and infinitely less likely to be released in any form

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
so is there even a video game you can play yet or is it like a tech demo still

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lysidas posted:

it must be very interesting and disturbing to work with uncanny-valley-type caricatures of real human beings

this guy came in with a group of like, 3 other hires (including our new CTO) that all came from the same company and they're all like this. apparently that company "took off and became a unicorn" though i never bothered to find out what it was, so i guess the process of doing that melts people's brains

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cool startup feel posted:

there's like 3 disjoint, incomplete videogames you can play that amount to the kind of stuff you'd expect to be on the meh section of steam for like $10

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

i think there are some woefully lacking demos, but i try not to focus on it, since this entire internet drama has been going on so long that both sides have degenerated into poop flinging monkeys

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

there's like 3 disjoint, incomplete videogames you can play that amount to the kind of stuff you'd expect to be on the meh section of steam for like $10

they're also getting sued by the company they licensed the engine from because the contract and payment were for only 1 game

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

exploded mummy posted:

:psyduck:

jesus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

seriously. that's not something a mentally healthy person does. it sounds like a gambling addiction or some poo poo.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

exploded mummy posted:

i think there are some woefully lacking demos, but i try not to focus on it, since this entire internet drama has been going on so long that both sides have degenerated into poop flinging monkeys

there’s a star citizen brokebrain who’s also a bitcoiner that posts in the bitcoin thread here

he’s been permabanned and by my count has reregged over 20 times since then

e: 30 times

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 26, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

President Beep posted:

seriously. that's not something a mentally healthy person does. it sounds like a gambling addiction or some poo poo.

probably cheaper than flyff

that poor guy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

actually, they're way smarter than you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph posted:

actually, they're way smarter than you

:thunk:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

did i mention that he's on his third wife

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
don't forget that star citizen spent a bunch of money to pay gary oldman so they could put him in the game and then he yanked the rights to his likeness after he saw what they were doing with it.

that's how we have :gary:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

did i mention that he's on his third wife

he's found three people willing to marry him???

:monocle:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

everything they do is good and correct, and the echochambers they occupy on-line reinforce it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

don't forget that star citizen spent a bunch of money to pay gary oldman so they could put him in the game and then he yanked the rights to his likeness after he saw what they were doing with it.

wait what

this sounds hilarious please tell me more

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

he's found three people willing to marry him???

:monocle:

his kid convinced him to bitcoin mine

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

his kid convinced him to bitcoin mine

lol. that's perfect.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/annalecta/status/956948297561919488

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wouldn’t be surprised if he had little to do with the bitcoin stuff and might not even have access anymore

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there’s a star citizen brokebrain who’s also a bitcoiner that posts in the bitcoin thread here

he’s been permabanned and by my count has reregged over 20 times since then

e: 30 times
he bragged on having a hot girlfriend (unlike all his permavirgin critics) and posted a picture of her to prove it

someone did a little checking and discovered that the picture was the #1 google image result for "girlfriend"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

why would you pay for gary oldman's likeness of all people, he's so good at completely disappearing into whatever character he's playing he barely even has a likeness :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

he bragged on having a hot girlfriend (unlike all his permavirgin critics) and posted a picture of her to prove it

someone did a little checking and discovered that the picture was the #1 google image result for "girlfriend"

didn’t he also stick his star citizenship card or w/e in his asscrack and claim that was his gf’s butt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

why would you pay for gary oldman's likeness of all people, he's so good at completely disappearing into whatever character he's playing he barely even has a likeness :colbert:
for the same reason you spend tens of millions of dollars doing a full mocap of the actors, even though in the game they'll be sitting in a fighter cockpit or sitting at a desk or standing behind a podium

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

im ded :rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
imagine if we traded money with the expectation that money is gunna go up with no other purpose for ownership other than its gunna go up

lmao at everything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

i would do this for real.

A friend's boss literally does this, commuting in his Cessna from somewhere down near Monterey to San Jose.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

having to get somewhere at a certain time is a good way to get killed in general aviation

luckily there isn’t much weather in the area I guess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

didn’t he also stick his star citizenship card or w/e in his asscrack and claim that was his gf’s butt

he's also a sex weird according to fishmech who is never wrong

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isn't there some weird lil suburb around Sacramento or somewhere where there's an airstrip and all the streets are technically taxi ways and instead of garages people have little hangars?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hobbesmaster posted:

having to get somewhere at a certain time is a good way to get killed in general aviation

luckily there isn’t much weather in the area I guess

bosses dont "have to" be anywhere at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

video game space ships

I think the latest thing that they put on sale was plots of video game land on video game planets so you can someday have a place to put your video game spaceship.

• Locked thread