Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Does your friend have 10% service connected disability? If so she should start applying for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, which provides 48 months of education benefits instead of 36, pays for tuition and fees AND books and even covers large items like cameras and computers if they're necessary for your degree. It requires a bit more work but it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Its insanely simple, you fill out a form after you're accepted to whatever school and it pretty much takes care of itself for the most part.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I should try voc rehab again and see if the last lady got fired. She wanted to track meds and poo poo which seems extremely out of her lane.

My friend at another VR office in NY had to get a psych eval basically for wanting to switch majors.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mods change my name posted:

I should try voc rehab again and see if the last lady got fired. She wanted to track meds and poo poo which seems extremely out of her lane.

My friend at another VR office in NY had to get a psych eval basically for wanting to switch majors.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet this doesn't bode well for me; they're already bad at mail.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It really seems to vary a lot by individual case managers it seems, it's still worth trying for and seeing what they say

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

It really seems to vary a lot by individual case managers it seems, it's still worth trying for and seeing what they say

Pretty much this

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I called them up just now and they're sending me a new appointment letter in the mail. It was a pretty quick thing. "Sup, whats going on? Ok name, cell, SSN? Cool we'll send you a new one." *click*

I dunno if that's a good thing or not but dude seemed chill. We're gonna find out if it comes. In the mean time; I'm considering going over to the VA regional on Friday because why not. See if I can get this going faster.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

They can’t. VRand E had be done via appointment. Hey have to call you within 30 days.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I quite literally just got back from my initial Voc Rehab appointment having done the electronic application at the beginning of January; I went in at 8 am today and left at noon completely approved for my program. It was completely painless and it sounds like I'm going to get several grand in backpay (I was on 60% Post 9/11, now I'm eligible for 100% BAH rate). :woop:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

january's almost done smoke weed and get As like me bitcheeeeeeeeeeees

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
My lab partner is wearing some marine infantry school hoodie. I’m trying to hide my forearm moto tattoo but it’s really hot and I think I’m gonna have to take off my jacket.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just blouse your sleeves like a real marine you pussy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

My lab partner is wearing some marine infantry school hoodie. I’m trying to hide my forearm moto tattoo but it’s really hot and I think I’m gonna have to take off my jacket.
He's going to want to touch dicks now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

i had a lab partner that was dating a infantry marine private and it was all i could do but to laugh my rear end off

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
It was an Infantry advanced “something” course. It had corporal stripes and sgt stripes on the little logo.

I just sweat through the whole class instead.

Soulex posted:

Just blouse your sleeves like a real marine you pussy.

If I ever was one Id consider it. I guess the army is trying it out now or some poo poo. I have to admit I’m a little jealous I didn’t get to try.

Casimir Radon posted:

He's going to want to touch dicks now.

Cool kids touch tips.

Unfortunately vets at school, in my experience, have bad opinions and a willingness to share. Also I saw him browsing reddit, didn’t catch the subreddit though.

He’s kinda doughy though so maybe it’s his brothers or something? Of course I’m fat so ya know maybe not.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i had a lab partner that was dating a infantry marine private and it was all i could do but to laugh my rear end off

Was it like watching a slow motion car crash? Months of long distance crap only to find out he’s banging a fat townie?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Separated from active last March and been doing school and reserves since. I never saw anyone at the VA afterwards though, and I feel like I should have gotten evaluated for disability at some point. What steps should I take for this?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Find a good local VSO.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Do it quick. Harder to get service connected after a year.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
how do you blouse sleeves

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I assumed that was MOTIVATED MARINE speak for rolling.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

boop the snoot posted:

with bootbands

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I don’t know, that’s what I thought Marines called rolling them. I’m Army we never did that poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

How stupid would an impulse buy of a Surface Pro be? I ride the bus to work and have a decent amount of down time. I've got an old laptop for class but I've got a bunch of money burning a whole in my pocket. Between my iPhone and the laptop this seems like a really stupid idea but I can't make it go away.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've had a Surface Pro for a few years now and poo poo is legit. I take notes at school with the pen, use it as a laptop with the keyboard, and it's got enough oomph to do 3D modelling and some game stuff so I'm really happy with it.

Someone was telling me the other day that the price went up though. I don't know if that's true so you'd have to decide if it's worth it or not.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

not caring here posted:

I've had a Surface Pro for a few years now and poo poo is legit. I take notes at school with the pen, use it as a laptop with the keyboard, and it's got enough oomph to do 3D modelling and some game stuff so I'm really happy with it.

Someone was telling me the other day that the price went up though. I don't know if that's true so you'd have to decide if it's worth it or not.

800 bucks at Costco I can get a bundle with the i5 version.(e: the laptop is 800, pro is 1k)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 26, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

As a side note, I've got an iPad Pro which I use similarly for note taking. It owns as my portable computer. Something to consider If you're an Apple person.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I also have the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. I use one note for note taking in school and it’s really easy to seamlessly switch between writing and typing with it, it’s awesome. I definitely recommend it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know how you guys do it but staring at a screen that’s close enough to take notes on or read for too long makes me nauseous.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Richard Bong posted:

I also have the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. I use one note for note taking in school and it’s really easy to seamlessly switch between writing and typing with it, it’s awesome. I definitely recommend it.

How do you like the Smart Keyboard? I wound up getting an MS folding BT keyboard (basically a foldable surface keyboard with Apple keys on it) that I like, but the built in nature of the Smart Keyboard sounds great.

I've got the original 9.7" Pro, I think I'll upgrade in the next year to the 10.5" w/ Keyboard.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

How do you like the Smart Keyboard? I wound up getting an MS folding BT keyboard (basically a foldable surface keyboard with Apple keys on it) that I like, but the built in nature of the Smart Keyboard sounds great.

It’s pretty solid and magnetically hooks up to some contacts along the side so I don’t have to fiddle with BT. I never have to turn it on it’s basically activated by context and I haven’t had any unintentional keystrokes in the 6 months I’ve had it(as in I didn’t mean for the keyboard to be active but it started typing because a button was pressed by the weight of the iPad). I do wish it had a more solid case that could work with it since I’m clumsy though. It’s basically just a screen protector when closed.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Richard Bong posted:

It’s pretty solid and magnetically hooks up to some contacts along the side so I don’t have to fiddle with BT. I never have to turn it on it’s basically activated by context and I haven’t had any unintentional keystrokes in the 6 months I’ve had it(as in I didn’t mean for the keyboard to be active but it started typing because a button was pressed by the weight of the iPad). I do wish it had a more solid case that could work with it since I’m clumsy though. It’s basically just a screen protector when closed.

I use one of these: iPad Pro 10.5 Inch Charcoal Gray Color Case - Companion Cover - Perfect match for Apple Smart keyboard and Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07215MYS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cX5AAbFXM44ZK with a Smart Cover. It should work with the keyboard I imagine.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I use one of these: iPad Pro 10.5 Inch Charcoal Gray Color Case - Companion Cover - Perfect match for Apple Smart keyboard and Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07215MYS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cX5AAbFXM44ZK with a Smart Cover. It should work with the keyboard I imagine.

This looks like exactly what I need, thanks!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

As a side note, I've got an iPad Pro which I use similarly for note taking. It owns as my portable computer. Something to consider If you're an Apple person.

I like iOS for my phone but I use Windows for everything work and home related

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I take notes by hand because I learn better that way

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

Same. I only pull out my laptop if I have to. Accounting is the worst since everything is on the laptop and I just want to zone out and gently caress around on the web

My design of experiments professor wants all our work done electronically so I have to toss a bunch of math on word. The guy with the surface is really happy he has one for once.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 27, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

I write my notes by hand on my iPad Pro due to that instead of typing. It's nice that I don't have to carry around any notebooks and my notes are always available via the cloud on my phone/laptop.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah if you just want to take notes and make snap chats with your dick pics or whatever then just get anything. If you want to do that AND do anything that requires some power then the surface pro is pretty snazzy.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

not caring here posted:

Yeah if you just want to take notes and make snap chats with your dick pics or whatever then just get anything. If you want to do that AND do anything that requires some power then the surface pro is pretty snazzy.

A lot of CADD and programming personally.

Trigger pulled, will start playing with it tonight :toot:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I get way too distracted with my laptop out. I’ll zone out and watch sports and deal with it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Initial reactions:

1) This thing is slick A.F.
2) The pen attaches via magnet to the top of the tablet!!!