Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

SOTN's castle is still probably the best they designed across every CV game though

also the biggest i think? all the portable ones felt really small in comparison (dawn of sorrow might've been big i don't remember) not helped by the copious amounts of copy-paste later on in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

also the biggest i think? all the portable ones felt really small in comparison (dawn of sorrow might've been big i don't remember) not helped by the copious amounts of copy-paste later on in the series

To be fair SOTN'S second half was just a huge copy-paste.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey they flipped it upside down too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a literal asset flip, if you will

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Phantasium posted:

a literal asset flip, if you will

Gah

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

8 way whip is heresy

I hate the over reliance of subweapons. It's like Mega Man's weapon upgrades before Capcom realized they could design challenges around the subweapons.

I'll give Rondo credit for making your old subweapon drop because the biggest "gently caress you" of previous Castlevanias was losing your holy water or cross to loving knife.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mega Man games with subweapons that are useless poo poo except for one or two boss weaknesses and one puzzle suck. The ones that are also no different from just the buster are also lame. They don't all need to be metal blade, but having some reason to use them as part of normal gameplay is good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Mega Man games with subweapons that are useless poo poo except for one or two boss weaknesses and one puzzle suck. The ones that are also no different from just the buster are also lame. They don't all need to be metal blade, but having some reason to use them as part of normal gameplay is good.

And so Castlevania 4 is kind of boring in the enemy design but focusing almost exclusively on the whip let's them do levels that are more dynamic and fun than any other sidescrolling Castlevania.

At least until whatever DS game lets you fling yourself around like a slingshot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I started on Tekken 7 last night. I am all about the grinding and unlocking items for this game. It meets all of the criteria I like for grinding in games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

chumbler posted:

It would be cool if you could combine subweapons, why has Capcom not thought of that in 30 years

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

raditts posted:

It would be cool if you could combine subweapons, why has Capcom not thought of that in 30 years

that's kirby 64 and it's the best kirby

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm trying to remember if there was a castlevania that let you swap freely between all the subweapons you'd collected up to that point but i think i'm just conflating simons' quest and julius mode

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

i'm trying to remember if there was a castlevania that let you swap freely between all the subweapons you'd collected up to that point but i think i'm just conflating simons' quest and julius mode
Johnathan in Portrait of Ruin.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

The new Switch Kirby has combining abilities

sorta

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's strange, it feels like Castlevania didn't know what it wanted to be the entire 16-bit generation while Konami's other aging series Contra and later ex-Konami staffers designing Gunstar Heroes would innovate on the run n' gun.

Shame about Contra like 5 years later though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Future Atelier games will no longer be dubbed

rip "BARREL!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bogart posted:

What Castlevania game do you guys think is the best. I think it's Portrait of Ruin, but that's probably partially because I'm just a bit too young for Symphony of the Night.

Lament of Innocence

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super Castlevania IV could have been a lot better if it was better balanced. For a Super Nintendo game it was surprising to have a game unbalanced in favor of the player and not the enemies, but I felt like the game was too easy because of the whip. It trivialized a lot of content and made using other items and weapons pointless.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got Monster Hunter instead of DBZ and Vegeta appeared on my co-worker's desk please send hel

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pc version of DBFZ doesn't support sony controllers or fight sticks :thumbsup:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

:holymoley:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I have successfully resisted the urge to buy Dragon Ball by remembering that I am juggling six different games in progress, including two other fighting games, and have also forgotten about Mario with hundreds of moons to go

I might get They Are Billions for the weekend, tho

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I said come in! posted:

Super Castlevania IV could have been a lot better if it was better balanced. For a Super Nintendo game it was surprising to have a game unbalanced in favor of the player and not the enemies, but I felt like the game was too easy because of the whip. It trivialized a lot of content and made using other items and weapons pointless.

I've always had a hell of a time with getting past the catacombs and beyond

Maybe I'm just real bad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Love the organ in this version of Bloody Tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/956963548680212480

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Big news: Taco Bell has fries now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That is my favorite room especially when you come in with a shotgun or grenades.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the zombie room owns

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

God drat it. Even capcom is getting that right now!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I've always had a hell of a time with getting past the catacombs and beyond

Maybe I'm just real bad

Nah, the catacombs are just filled with a ton of instant death traps. It and the climb after the collapsing bridge in stage... 11? are probably the hardest bits of the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh my god this badass one-eyed felyne in mhw

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

oh my god this badass one-eyed felyne in mhw
Monster Hunter crossing over with BlazBlue now?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Love the organ in this version of Bloody Tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

This is probably 75% of the reason it's my favourite, who gives a poo poo about it being too easy or the whip not being correct when you can listen to that soundtrack while playing it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

My dualshock 4 worked without me doing anything except plugging it in

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oddium posted:

That's my point, it could also be the best Megaman

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Super Castlevania IV is kinda lame and bad to me imo. Very bad game feel

Rondo just completely destroys it in every way, music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlayiIBH75o

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

Microsoft os, Microsoft controllers

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Expect My Mom posted:

Super Castlevania IV is kinda lame and bad to me imo. Very bad game feel

Rondo just completely destroys it in every way, music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlayiIBH75o

Very incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKVmvVRXXCM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cv4 is... okay? it has good music and... i didn't really like anything else about it all that much, vs rondo just being like the perfect castlevania game that fixes all of my issues with old-school castlevania

castlevania 1 is ok but i hate a lot of the late-game level design and cv3 is good but i still don't really enjoy how brutal it gets, and bloodlines is loving miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I'll always find well done chip tune stuff more impressive than when they could just put recorded music on the CD

• Locked thread