Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

I think he's an evil little poo poo.

I bet he's actually a cool guy who isn't doing anything bad at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been reading Threadbare (Royal Road, Amazon) and it's pretty good. It's about a teddy bear who got turned into a one-of-a-kind sentient golem, who's trying to protect the little girl he was made for in a fantasy world that's gone to poo poo. It's an LitRPG, but not a particularly obnoxious one - TBH I mostly just skip the numbersy bits. The writing and characterization are competent, despite the insane daily rate at which the author releases new chapters. It's pretty Paddington, with glimmers of Pratchett occasionally shining through.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I read the Reddit thread for 3.4 and some of the speculation was that her specialty isn't cameras, it's robots and AI, and she's going to accidentally make skynet at some point and god I want this

Bakuda's specialization was "bombs" and in practice she could make practically anything, duplicate practically any power, as long as it took on the form factor of a bomb. Colin had a similar thing where he could do lots of stuff as long as it was in the framework of being really efficient. So I suspect that Kenzie can do all kinds of rad poo poo as long as her shard views it as "surveillance". She can make AIs and holocams and probably remote telepathy devices for all we know as long as it's for surveillance..

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ward 3.6 so... I'm thinking Tristan's crime was something like kidnapping or false imprisonment... of Byron. Because he stopped seceding control. In which case, how do you even punish that? And if that's so it pretty well confirms that the hit Byron ordered was on Tristan, probably with a go-ahead condition of Byron failing to call-in. Which makes poo poo sketchy because the "hit man" was provided by Tristan and Tristan used them to... find action figures?

Also, I'm starting to wonder (but not seriously) if Kenzi is even human.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm so bored of Flos and the twins in The Wandering Inn. They are the least compelling protagonists in the entire cast, and this mini arc is going on way too long.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Ward 3.6 so... I'm thinking Tristan's crime was something like kidnapping or false imprisonment... of Byron. Because he stopped seceding control. In which case, how do you even punish that? And if that's so it pretty well confirms that the hit Byron ordered was on Tristan, probably with a go-ahead condition of Byron failing to call-in. Which makes poo poo sketchy because the "hit man" was provided by Tristan and Tristan used them to... find action figures?

The Tristan/Byron stuff: The action-figure/collectible stuff I'm pretty sure was just code, hence the swapping mid-talk from plates to action figures. It's the same kinda deal as what went down with Fume Hood, people getting revenge on capes due to all the resentment over Gold Morning or other cape-related collateral damages. It's not really something you'd want to talk openly about, especially on a platform that I'm fairly certain is administrated by Dragon. But it'd make sense, I could definitely see Tristan refusing to cede control and that pissing off Moonsong to the extent that she thinks he's a sociopath and would explain why they'd go to the extent of putting a dead man's switch in effect just to have some leverage. Which just goes to show how incredibly hosed up that whole situation is. Good lord.

Kenzie is definitely weird and 100% lieing about a bunch of stuff. Like what her Tinker specialization is for starters. I really doubt it's just surveillance. The chatbots could be a hint, but even if that was all that was (which still says something about her mental state and extent of her social isolation) then there's still that weird comment about teleporter embankments. The PRT badge thing could just be her having put some surveillance countermeasures in place or it could be some way crazier poo poo, like her just being some sort of projection while the real Kenzie sits in a basement somewhere and the PRT camera had trouble taking a picture of a hard-light hologram or something.

Also, when the ones who are most straight-forward about their issues and thus least likely to cause some massive issue down the line are a Slaughterhouse-A-Lot clone and Accidental Mass-Murderer Sveta then this team is super hosed. That coupled with how relatively calm and carefully planned this whole team thing is being presented just means that narratively we're being set up for a gigantic clusterfuck and I love it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I was just thinking that if a pair of "tinkers" (well one tinker and one super advanced AI that might as well be a a tinker) wanted to do some experiments with artificial people (advanced AIs that think they are human in advanced tinker tech bodies) doing them in the wake of gold morning and the chaos it caused would be the prefect place to slip wholly made up people into the system. Mostly just a random thought thought, nothing I'm serious about like Rain being evil get rid of him immediately before he gets you all killed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

The action figures thing was just code for doing a hit.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

I was just thinking that if a pair of "tinkers" (well one tinker and one super advanced AI that might as well be a a tinker) wanted to do some experiments with artificial people (advanced AIs that think they are human in advanced tinker tech bodies) doing them in the wake of gold morning and the chaos it caused would be the prefect place to slip wholly made up people into the system. Mostly just a random thought thought, nothing I'm serious about like Rain being evil get rid of him immediately before he gets you all killed.

The absence of Dragon, Defiant, and Teacher from the plot so far has been conspicuous, seeing as they were originally set up to be major players, and I'm pretty sure that whenever they do show up there'll be some big twist associated with it.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

21 Muns posted:

The absence of Dragon, Defiant, and Teacher from the plot so far has been conspicuous, seeing as they were originally set up to be major players, and I'm pretty sure that whenever they do show up there'll be some big twist associated with it.

I'm not too surprised. In the greater scheme of things we've zoomed in a bunch compared to where things were when Worm ended. Right now we're seeing things from Victoria's perspective and how she's dealing with things while I'm fairly certain Dragon, Defiant and Teacher are part of a larger picture we just haven't seen yet. I'm sure they'll come in at some point and at least Dragon has made an appearance. Sort of. The admin of the new PHO board is named Hope_in_Pithos, which is almost guaranteed to allude to how Dragon was freed from Teacher influence. The old copy that sacrificed herself was called Pandora and 'pithos' is the Greek word for the box Pandora opened, closing it with only hope left inside.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm so bored of Flos and the twins in The Wandering Inn. They are the least compelling protagonists in the entire cast, and this mini arc is going on way too long.

I don't think it's a mini arc, it may well be a primary focus of this book.

And yes it's awful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

mossyfisk posted:

I don't think it's a mini arc, it may well be a primary focus of this book.

And yes it's awful.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a primary focus; arc 3 opened with Laken but he was barely in it. I think this would have been better served as infrequent half-chapters; Flos seems like he'd be interesting in small doses, but 5 full chapters (so far) is a tough pill to swallow.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

I was just thinking[spoiler] that if a pair of "tinkers" (well one tinker and one super advanced AI that might as well be a a tinker) wanted to do some experiments with artificial people (advanced AIs that think they are human in advanced tinker tech bodies) doing them in the wake of gold morning and the chaos it caused would be the prefect place to slip wholly made up people into the system.

I like the way you were thinking. Its probably not right but I do like it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Argue posted:

Hopefully this isn't going to be a primary focus; arc 3 opened with Laken but he was barely in it. I think this would have been better served as infrequent half-chapters; Flos seems like he'd be interesting in small doses, but 5 full chapters (so far) is a tough pill to swallow.

pirateaba is saying in the comments for 4.05 that "The next chapter will probably have a bit of Flos and a bit of…well, let’s just say it’ll tie into the plot in a biggish way. Maybe? Maybe not."

But yeah I was sick of this story three chapters ago and nothing has changed since to make me care anymore.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I, too, am getting really loving sick of Flos and can't wait for his dumb arc to be over with.

Luckily, it looks like we only have one more chapter of him left.

E: I will say, though, that this chapter was the best of the lot imo. It had good fight scenes, and the bit at the end where Trey suddenly realizes how monstrously lovely the world he's in is was good.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Reim would be an interesting place to put Erin's last door!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
The new chapter of Mother of Learning ended in a mother of all cliffhangers, if you excuse the pun. Just FYI to those reading that particular serial.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Bonus ward chapter today!

I enjoyed the world building and getting an eye into good ol' earth bet, really hammers home that the security protocols aren't there for fluff (like the TSA). Also the ending is ominous as gently caress. I think we're up to a solid 5 or 6 potential things to quickly spiral out of control at the worst time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Earth Alpha (or whatever the one with few parahumans that Taylor went to is called) still have some communication set up with humans on other Earths? The idea that Taylor would still receive information about events post-Golden Morning via such a connection is kind of interesting.

Speaking of Earth Alpha, was it ever detailed exactly what kind of parahumans they have? I remember it saying they were weaker or something, but I don't remember any actual examples of their powers or anything specifying how many there were.

edit: One kind of interesting thing that never received much focus (outside of the stuff with Taylor meeting her mother on Earth Alpha) is how there are a bunch of people who effectively have copies of themselves on the other Earth in Earth Alpha/Bet. It would be really interesting to find out how a different version of yourself turned out. I wonder if Taylor's dad ever met up with himself.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Does Earth Alpha (or whatever the one with few parahumans that Taylor went to is called) still have some communication set up with humans on other Earths? The idea that Taylor would still receive information about events post-Golden Morning via such a connection is kind of interesting.

Speaking of Earth Alpha, was it ever detailed exactly what kind of parahumans they have? I remember it saying they were weaker or something, but I don't remember any actual examples of their powers or anything specifying how many there were.

I believe not so much as weaker but far far fewer. I'm guessing that version of earth was used as a control or something.

As far as communications, I suspect it was totally cut off. Taylor's not-quite-known fate was going to be kept under wraps regardless how it worked out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oo Koo posted:

The new chapter of Mother of Learning ended in a mother of all cliffhangers, if you excuse the pun. Just FYI to those reading that particular serial.

[MoL 80] Finally. There's been a whole plot-gap there since the beginning of this poo poo of why don't they just talk to him. In all of their interactions with him, he's seemed like a pretty reasonable guy, for an ancient lich anyway. Going straight to "let's kill him!" without ever considering "Hey, what if we just ask him straight up" has seemed like a really weird missing piece.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Motherfucker of learning was real good. Again.

drat I like the world he's built and I really like Zorian and Zach.

I wouldn't trust the man in a suit though. But I am curious why and how he found them in this loop? Silverlake setting up the meeting?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Affi posted:

Motherfucker of learning was real good. Again.

drat I like the world he's built and I really like Zorian and Zach.

I wouldn't trust the man in a suit though. But I am curious why and how he found them in this loop? Silverlake setting up the meeting?

I would not be at all surprised if it was Silverlake. I mean, what else have they done that they haven't done many times before? Also Silverlake is the worst.

(Interesting as a character, but truly insufferable.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Want a whole arc just about the machine army

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This sounds horrible.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I want a whole arc about Amy and Dot being best friends forever and happy and convincing each other not to unleash some horrible S-class level hell on the world.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what's the deal with the machine army? Is it in any way connected to worm? Or is it something kenzie did by accident? (Don't buy that her power is surveillance given the crap she's building)

Who the hell is fighting it on earth bet? Wardens and their ilk just seem to guard cities on gimel and stop villains.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Affi posted:

So what's the deal with the machine army? Is it in any way connected to worm? Or is it something kenzie did by accident? (Don't buy that her power is surveillance given the crap she's building)

Who the hell is fighting it on earth bet? Wardens and their ilk just seem to guard cities on gimel and stop villains.

We literally don't know, it's brand new

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I assumed nobody is really "fighting" it. Everyone hosed off of Bet because it's basically a lost cause at this point, let the machines have it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nettle Soup posted:

[MoL 80] Finally. There's been a whole plot-gap there since the beginning of this poo poo of why don't they just talk to him. In all of their interactions with him, he's seemed like a pretty reasonable guy, for an ancient lich anyway. Going straight to "let's kill him!" without ever considering "Hey, what if we just ask him straight up" has seemed like a really weird missing piece.

Zorian's default operating mode is extreme paranoia, especially wrt anything that could cause damage that persists across resets, and Zach thinks he's a videogame character and the lich is his endboss.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We literally don't know, it's brand new

Apparently it showed up in supplementary material as an off-hand mention. It was quarantined to its own city, before Gold Morning changed everyone's priorities.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Oops wrong thread

21 Muns fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 27, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Autonomous Monster posted:

Zorian's default operating mode is extreme paranoia, especially wrt anything that could cause damage that persists across resets, and Zach thinks he's a videogame character and the lich is his endboss.

Yeah. He's pretty much vetted Alaric and Xzvim to an absurd degree before inviting them. but he didn't do it to Silverlake because of time restraints and maybe Zachs reckless influence.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Affi posted:

I don't recall it being brought up in worm, it was mentioned briefly in glo-worm as one of the reasons why no one want to be on bet. Doesn't really seem in-line with anything kenzie has done (apart from being something built, but by that logic defiant is just as likely to be the creator). No one really seems to be fighting it, seems more of a "stay away from it while we deal with other stuff", but maybe with it starting to be closer to the portal we'll see action on it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Defiant doesn't build things that could potentially be AI though, his specialty is miniaturization and shoving things into space they shouldn't be able to fit

If it's anyone we've met it's probably kenzie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What if it's some rogue unbound tinker shard just doing it's thing at full throttle without a human host to force it to slow down

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Defiant's shoving stuff into small hiding spaces fits better for the shown robots than kenzie's large camera/hologram/optic stuff though. I picked defiant because he is a terrible choice to claim as the source and he still seems like a better fit. I think it is safe to assume (based on how it used to be quarantined) that the situation was like Nilbog, but they killed the source and didn't want to try to clean the robotic death trap area up and sealed it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Defiant could absolutely build an AI, particularly with all the knowledge he has with Dragon. His specialty being making things more efficient (not smaller; see the bit where he talks about the implants in his leg in his interlude) is one of the more broader ones in Worm.

Like, the dude has built a variety of ludicrous weapons and armor suits, a lie detector program, did a bunch of the work on the Endbringer tracker, and so on.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the machine army first showed up like a month or so before nilbog did. that puts their origin somewhere around 2001.

defiant would have had to make that a long rear end time ago, and never have been punished for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So where was it mentioned first?

Also someone please run down why they think Rain is lying?

Affi fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 27, 2018