Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

I'm one of 2 people in my office using VSCode and I will DIE before I change.

Good luck fresh meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ape Fist posted:

We're IntelliJ, but we're actually looking forward to using VSCode for pair-programming was VSCode Live is available.

I'm hoping Jetbrains has this in store for IntelliJ very soon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Poz posted:

This assumes any health complications are handled within a time frame that doesn't cause a company to let you go causing you a loss in coverage. What you call a "sweet deal" is really a gamble for a lot of people.

same

We still have COBRA (for now :ohdear:)

Rubellavator posted:

I just got done marking a junior devs PR as needs work for the 4th time in a week. Everybody keeps talking about how it's the most comments they've ever seen on a PR (40).

The very best is when you have two senior developers arguing with each other in your coffee review.

ChickenWing posted:

Same with intellij

I had it set to autoformat for a while but that caused some disgusting PRs so I just do that selectively now

I'm not sure I want to know how imports could cause terrible PRs.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure I want to know how imports could cause terrible PRs.

It's like when a PR changes 1 line of code and 2000 lines of whitespace

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

The very best is when you have two senior developers arguing with each other in your coffee review.

Way back when, I worked on a machine that was going to be competitive with Keurigs. We're building the very first one, so there's no mass production on the "k-cups" yet and every single one is a precious resource. So I'd be testing the firmware changes and had to capture a bunch of other data about the mechanisms and flavor.

I was drinking a lot of coffee. By 2 PM I'd be wired to the gills and utterly useless at my nominal job.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Sedro posted:

Or when you get the OK from your VP to implement Checkstyle on a codebase for which it previously didn't exist.

Now suddenly everyone comes to you because they just looked at git blame instead of the log to see who was really responsible.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

The standout junior devs have coffee delivered from all over the world each week and always offer you a sample.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JawnV6 posted:

Way back when, I worked on a machine that was going to be competitive with Keurigs. We're building the very first one, so there's no mass production on the "k-cups" yet and every single one is a precious resource. So I'd be testing the firmware changes and had to capture a bunch of other data about the mechanisms and flavor.

I was drinking a lot of coffee. By 2 PM I'd be wired to the gills and utterly useless at my nominal job.

...decaf is a thing...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sedro posted:

?w=1 on the files url tells githhub to ignore whitespace changes :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

geeves posted:

The standout junior devs have coffee delivered from all over the world each week and always offer you a sample.

I made a typo and I'm glad I did.

Sedro posted:

Yeah, I get that, but at some point you have to just rip the band-aid, especially if it's just imports. Fix all the files in the codebase and commit it and tell everyone to not be a gently caress up in future commits.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

geeves posted:

Or when you get the OK from your VP to implement Checkstyle on a codebase for which it previously didn't exist.

Now suddenly everyone comes to you because they just looked at git blame instead of the log to see who was really responsible.

See, I don't get this. When I blame a file, I find the line I'm interested and take a look at all the changes in that revision as a whole. If the first set of changes is just whitespace or formatting, I just run blame backwards from that commit. It's really no big deal.

Much more annoying is how SVN flat out doesn't understand UTF-16. It thinks that a text file encoded in UTF-16 is actually a binary file, and so blame just outright doesn't work. This is when I get to pretend to be a computer and run something very much like a manual binary search.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Silently rewriting recently merged code someone else wrote has to be one of the more poorly mannered things I could imagine happening amongst developers and yet here we are.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I agree to a point, you could tell them at PR time you are not happy with how it looks and ask them to change it if they want your approval mark. This gives everyone an opportunity to learn. On the other hand, the code you write in a project is not yours to have feelings for. It is code in a project that you happened to have touched last and someone else decided to build on that which is a good thing. There is little room for feelings to be hurt in the coding workplace when it comes to code.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

geeves posted:

The honest-to-god solution prettier.js uses is the apply style fixes to the entire git history.

My solution is to autolint any file I touch as part of a fix. If you come to me with git blame, at least I will be aware of the file. If nobody has touched a file in a really long time, it shall remain as untouched as Tutankhamun's tomb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keetron posted:

I agree to a point, you could tell them at PR time you are not happy with how it looks and ask them to change it if they want your approval mark. This gives everyone an opportunity to learn. On the other hand, the code you write in a project is not yours to have feelings for. It is code in a project that you happened to have touched last and someone else decided to build on that which is a good thing. There is little room for feelings to be hurt in the coding workplace when it comes to code.

Sure, but you can make the effort anyway. I like this article (parts 1, 2) about how to act like a decent human adult when doing code reviews. You should at least get team buy-in about fixing styles, etc.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Keetron posted:

That’s what PRs are for. “Check your ego” is great advice in an environment where everyone respects one another and some semblance of etiquette is followed.

In this particular case I would also wager that this sort of thing is entirely about the rewriter having feelings of ownership or property around a project.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

If that’s 4 swings and misses, isn’t it about time to pair it rather than keep them flailing?

He's fully capable, he's done tickets of the same level of effort without needing a pair. I feel like he was maybe being lazy and trying to find the boundaries of what qualifies as acceptable work. #1 was a redesign because of some bad requirements (not his fault), and that he needed to finish testing (his fault), #2 was explaining to him that he needed to test his client-side validation (part of the redesign) and also add back-end validation, #3 was telling him he needed to test his back-end validation and also that some of his logic could be reduced. #4 was really sitting down with him and explaining to him how that logic reduction worked, that's on me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ape Fist posted:

This is the true way. I myself will carry you through the gates of Valhalla. You shall ride eternal. Shiny, and chrome.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Skandranon posted:

This is the true way. I myself will carry you through the gates of Valhalla. You shall ride eternal. Shiny, and chrome.

I really like VSCode a ton, my office just switched to it and I’m a big fan.

Of course I was using NetBeans before so maybe that’s the reason?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I've converted someone in the office to VSCode.

The Grand Crusade begins.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I use intellij, why should I switch?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Keetron posted:

I don't use intellij so I'm not really qualified to tell you why you should. All I know is that the plugins are pretty fuckin' great and the soon-to-be released pair programming support is going to be huge.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Keetron posted:

I went from Webstorm to VSCode, really happy I did

#1 Speed - VSCode is just so much faster.
#2 It can do everything I did in webstorm

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I switched to Code a few months ago from Sublime with a bunch of extensions / preferences accumulated over the years. I was at a conference and a co worker suggested I try it and have loved it since.

Still use PHPStorm fairly often for larger PHP projects especially if I'm trying to familiarize myself with a new codebase. And plenty of vim use still but mostly just for quick edits and things. But yeah Code is real nice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay what's better about VSCode for, say, C# editing than full-on Visual Studio?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay what's better about VSCode for, say, C# editing than full-on Visual Studio?

Nothing?

But it's sure as gently caress better about editing Powershell, Javascript, Python, HTML, CSS, and XML than Visual Studio.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's not better than C# than Visual Studio, but it is much thinner. And free. If you are already paying for Visual Studio, you probably want the additional features it brings for C++ and C# development. For web development, most of those things are useless.

As a free, cross platform alternative though, it's pretty good for C# development.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Skandranon posted:

It's not better than C# than Visual Studio, but it is much thinner. And free. If you are already paying for Visual Studio, you probably want the additional features it brings for C++ and C# development. For web development, most of those things are useless.

As a free, cross platform alternative though, it's pretty good for C# development.

On Windows I still use Visual Studio for C# and C++ (mostly because of ReSharper). Code is a good replacement for Sublime. It's pretty much the only Electron app that doesn't perform like poo poo. Code is fantastic for F# (Linux and Windows), and similar to Sublime can be easily configured with Ansible.

At my last job (Windows full stack devs) a few people used Sublime and most of those switched to Code for PoSh & JavaScript, but afaik everyone still used Visual Studio for C#.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I use full-fat Visual Studio for our C# stuff, VS Code is for everything else; Terraform, Packer, Ruby, Python, Go, Node, Powershell.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Boss just told me we don't have any way to test 1/3 of our feature set and won't for months (I make front ends and middle ware for embedded devices/sensors etc and they're not willing to free up one of the prototypes for a few days or give me access to the test data). I was told to just "work fast and loose and break things" Kill me now.

So now I'm hooking up a stubbed out bit stream parser that is sending faked data that may or may not bear any resemblance to the real data.

Also "our customers are our alpha testers."

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LLSix posted:

I was told to just "work fast and loose and break things" Kill me now.
We'll see in a month or two if they ever say that again. Of course they will.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

LLSix posted:

Yikes

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Don't forget about : https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=humao.rest-client

Once I installed that, an hour later I uninstalled and purged my memory of that awful, bloated, nagware, piece-of-poo poo software: PostMan.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

PostMan is awful?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yes.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's ok, we've mostly migrated to using Newman at my place. That way at least I get to mention that Newman in Seinfeld was a US Post Office worker and everyone's eyes light up and it brightens my cold, soulless day of corporate wage slavery.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LLSix posted:

Boss just told me we don't have any way to test 1/3 of our feature set and won't for months (I make front ends and middle ware for embedded devices/sensors etc and they're not willing to free up one of the prototypes for a few days or give me access to the test data). I was told to just "work fast and loose and break things" Kill me now.

So now I'm hooking up a stubbed out bit stream parser that is sending faked data that may or may not bear any resemblance to the real data.

Well, hey, if your boss wants to waste your time on building things you'll almost certainly have to rebuild later, on a much tighter timeline, with an angry customer screaming in his ear...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
At that point, quality will be improved...

The customers will be beta testers instead!

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ither posted:

PostMan is awful?

I guess enough people need the bloated feature set, and are willing to pay for the 'enterprise' version, to support a 30+ person company, but I just wanted a way to make HTTP requests and save them for later. I don't know how many hours of my life I lost fighting the over-engineered Postman UI, but I'm happy the pain is behind me.

The beauty of the VS extension I posted is that the HTTP requests are just simple text files (or multiple per file) that can be read by anyone and committed to VCS, etc. Postman makes this intentionally annoying to do to push users to storing their HTTP call config in the :yaycloud: It's the classic case of a free, useful tool becoming productized and extended to the degree where it now misses the original point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

B-Nasty posted:

It's the classic case of a free, useful tool becoming productized and extended to the degree where it now misses the original point.

That's the point at which I stopped using it too. I don't want to loving sign in or create an account to test some JSON - i know you can skip it but its a ridiculous bump in the road of Run Tool -> Test things.