Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
CBC Radio One - The Current had a piece this AM with some ex-pages/staffers. One of the guests mentions she was kissed to the side of the chamber at the HoC, multiple times and no one did anything about it

http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-current/episode/15509453 @ 6:14 :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Yeah same my academic workplace has a ton of women and men in it at all levels of the hierarchy and no one would tolerate any of the stuff patontheback has been describing as common in his workplace.

They do tolerate a ton of professors being totally inappropriate with students though.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jordan7hm posted:

They do tolerate a ton of professors being totally inappropriate with students though.

Yes but you see Plato and his students used to....

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I still find it really hard to believe none of you have had women flirt with you at work. Or maybe that isn't hard to believe.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I still find it hard to believe you work in the Penthouse Forum office, but here we are.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Genuinely surprised none of y’all have had or seen those things happen, that poo poo happens all the time where I work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

patonthebach posted:

I still find it really hard to believe none of you have had women flirt with you at work. Or maybe that isn't hard to believe.

Do you not understand the difference between flirting and sexual harrassment or something?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

patonthebach posted:

"The things I would do to you if you weren't married" isn't mere flirting you complete autist, how starved are you for attention

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

patonthebach posted:

So the headline for Fehr is that he called a coworker "Yummy"? I guess I could have 80% of the women in my office fired too. This is getting a bit ridiculous. Lets not cry wolf at every bad threesome joke and make the Weinsteins of the world look less serious because we force someone to resign because someone made a bad joke.

reposting because i just cant

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I had to publicly chew out my uncle on Facebook because he reposted Blatchford's turd of a piece with "I totally agree. We are now in a state of « shoot first; ask questions later ». But irreversible harm is done. The pendulum has gone too far."
I mean one of his own daughter posted #Metoo when that was a thing on Facebook but clearly believing women when they come forward with allegations is ruining society.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Hey, maybe the Liberals aren't that bad after all

quote:

The presumption of innocence is "strictly" a legal construct that shouldn't stop Canadians from believing women who come forward with allegations of assault, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said Thursday.

While some members of his caucus stood behind him with incredulous looks, Singh told reporters there are "different issues" at play when women step forward with accusations.
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath also weighed in to the discussion telling reporters in Toronto that the justice system is failing women.

"I really have two words about the justice system: Jian Ghomeshi," she said. "...that's why lots of women don't come forward, especially as it relates to workplace issues. So let's not pretend that we have a justice system that is actually protecting women and making sure that women see justice. That's something we have a big problem with here."

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Interim leader for the PCs is Vic (probably a better choice than Mulroney or Ford lol)

https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/956942334402363392

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are thing people do that are legal but still wrong. That creeper who’s always invading people’s personal space and making gross comments isn’t necessarily going to cross the line into actual sexual assault, but I still don’t want to work with him.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

In conclusion, gently caress Kent Hehr. Who thinks it's okay to call a woman yummy?? Is this considered okay out in Alberta?

gently caress off with your holier than thou regional bullshit.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

patonthebach posted:

I've had plenty of women flirt with me at work - but it's always the students I'm tutoring and never ever my female colleagues. This part of my work is in the student services department of a university, so I expect most of us have been trained on this stuff and my female colleagues surely know better.

Twice the behaviour went past flirting and into sexual harassment. One was a girl who kept telling me how she had dreams about me and had slept with a previous math tutor and etc. She also loved talking about Jordan Peterson - she was a big fan. The other one was a girl who went from making our knees touch "accidentally" while sitting next to me to standing next to me and pressing her hips into my shoulder.

And then there was the guy who would make comments about the women in the room, would show me his text convos with hot girls and the selfies they sent him, and once asked me for advice on whether he should get with this 14 year old girl who was hitting on him. I think I've mentioned this guy in this thread before.

So if we're swapping anecdotes, yeah, women can sexually harass men, but the men who do that poo poo tend to be way loving worse. The women only made me a little uncomfortable while the guy made me incredibly uncomfortable and I wasn't even the target of his bullshit.

In conclusion, gently caress Kent Hehr. Who thinks it's okay to call a woman yummy?? Is this considered okay out in Alberta?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Sigh - phone posting and edited / deleted my last comment instead of making a new one.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you not understand the difference between flirting and sexual harrassment or something?

The same comment can be taken either as flirting or sexual harassment. Ie ~20% of US millennials think asking to get a drink is harassment whereas British kids DGAF.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/11/daily-chart-14

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm very curious about the methodology of that survey, and how specific the scenarios presented are. Like if some co-worker you see from time to time asked you to go for a drink, that's probably nothing to get upset. If you boss or a manager in general asks you the same, that's potentially a whole mess.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

patonthebach posted:

You said you were done posting on the subject like a dozen posts ago. Take your own advice and gently caress off

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I'm very curious about the methodology of that survey, and how specific the scenarios presented are. Like if some co-worker you see from time to time asked you to go for a drink, that's probably nothing to get upset. If you boss or a manager in general asks you the same, that's potentially a whole mess.

Was pretty vague.

“Would you consider it sexual harassment if a man, who was not a romantic partner, did the following to a woman?” % responding always or usually.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cougar cub posted:

Was pretty vague.

“Would you consider it sexual harassment if a man, who was not a romantic partner, did the following to a woman?” % responding always or usually.

Did they say how good looking the man is?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

Also, the problem isn't just the behaviour, but the fact that employees have to consider all possible consequences of saying, "no thank you" or what-have-you. In an ideal world, it would be perfectly acceptable to express interest (in a polite, not overtly sexual way) in a co-worker, because your co-worker could accept or decline and they would know it would have no consequences on their career, and they wouldn't have to worry about continued harassment.

It's also important because, if my boss is a man (and neither of us are gay), he can ask if I'd like to go for a drink, I can accept, and we can have a drink and talk business or whatever, and we both know there's no sexual undertones involved. If you are a woman working for a male boss, this avenue of socialization is much, much more fraught with danger -- either there might be "expectations," or, in this climate, the boss will just avoid placing himself in a one-on-one situation with any woman to avoid any appearance of impropriety. This could also happen with a female boss and male employee, but due to gender bias in the workplace that's a less common situation. This works against gender equality in the workplace, so we need to find a solution.

It's another situation in which the patriarchy manages to hurt men at the same time as it hurts women. A lot of men (and some women) are saying poo poo like, "what, now you can't even talk to a woman without it being possible sexual harassment :qq:" And that's a valid complaint to some degree, but we've only reached this situation because of the imbalance in power between men and women societally, and the centuries of routine sexual harassment that have resulted. Yeah, we need to fix that poo poo before you can casually ask a female co-worker or subordinate to get a drink with you and not worry about the possible implications.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

patonthebach posted:

Niceness, flattery, and some light flirting are not even on the same spectrum as an older man saying "yummy" in an enclosed space. How is that so hard to understand?

My workplace is about 4:1 women: men, with similar age distributions. None of us male employees are drowning in pussy :shrug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hey, maybe the Liberals aren't that bad after all

Horwath is sort of dumb to frame it like that. The criminal case requires a very high burden of proof for a conviction, and the accused doesn't need to testify under oath. It was a he said she said, without the he said, and Henein tearing the accounts to shreds. Very unfortunate outcome given it emboldens people to say women are 'lying' because they couldn't surpass the burden of proof necessary for the criminal conviction.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/956963355255885824?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

So what are the odds they try to hold a full vote?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sexual Harassment isn't a black and white issue that you can draw a line and say "Everything past this point is wrong". You don't get to decide if/when something makes someone uncomfortable. It becomes worse when it's a power struggle situation where telling someone you are uncomfortable makes you lose your job.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

cougar cub posted:

gently caress off with your holier than thou regional bullshit.

Alberta is full of garbage people though

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Holy poo poo, ITC actually ruled against Boeing's complaint vs Bombardier. :stare:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/956975921235480576

What's the over/under on Trump nuking NAFTA as payback?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jan posted:

Holy poo poo, ITC actually ruled against Boeing's complaint vs Bombardier. :stare:

Well, time for me to drink

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

This really isn't that surprising, Boeing was full of poo poo from the start.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So what's a good punishment for someone who's sexually harassed someone?

A lot of the people I see clamoring to fire every man who's ever made a woman uncomfortable would typically believe in rehabilitation over vindictive sentences when it comes to criminal punishment.

While I've been mostly happy with the metoo campaign and all of the resulting resignations and firings (and especially gently caress Herh and Brown), I can't help but wonder what's enough.

I kind of think back to that hydro one "gently caress her right in the pussy" idiot. Has he since found employment? At what level of financial ruin would people determine he had suffered enough for being a pig headed idiot?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

This really isn't that surprising, Boeing was full of poo poo from the start.

which is impressive given the status of bombardier

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Math You posted:

So what's a good punishment for someone who's sexually harassed someone?

A lot of the people I see clamoring to fire every man who's ever made a woman uncomfortable would typically believe in rehabilitation over vindictive sentences when it comes to criminal punishment.

While I've been mostly happy with the metoo campaign and all of the resulting resignations and firings (and especially gently caress Herh and Brown), I can't help but wonder what's enough.

I kind of think back to that hydro one "gently caress her right in the pussy" idiot. Has he since found employment? At what level of financial ruin would people determine he had suffered enough for being a pig headed idiot?

He was rehired following arbitration

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dreylad posted:

which is impressive given the status of bombardier

Incompetence or malicious intent, I'd side with the ignorant idiots over the dicks at Boeing too.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Risky Bisquick posted:

He was rehired following arbitration

See, if you are a dude who is worried about being fired over false accusations or whatever bullshit (and I don't believe that such firings are really that common anyway), the answer is UNIONIZE. Your union will have your back. In fact, that's the answer to a lot of the alt right's whiny complaints. And yet somehow they aren't on the left... And why? Because they aren't actually being hurt by this poo poo themselves. They just like to whine about it and fantasize about how unfair it would be if something ever disrupted their perfect lives of privilege. Actually working to solve the injustice gets in the way of their persecution complex.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
TPS now think someone murdered that billionaire couple

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always find it interesting so many dudes need to invent these convoluted hypotheticals that exist only in their heads to defend their fears of "witch hunts" and "making people too scared to ever talk to each other" while the other side can list tons of actual real experiences where the lack of enforcement or consequences for workplace harassment have directly harmed them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

is there a single non-worthless opposition leader in the english speaking world right now besides Corbyn?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I always find it interesting so many dudes need to invent these convoluted hypotheticals that exist only in their heads to defend their fears of "witch hunts" and "making people too scared to ever talk to each other" while the other side can list tons of actual real experiences where the lack of enforcement or consequences for workplace harassment have directly harmed them.

"I'm going to stop hugging people, forever" -A Dude

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

On the other hand, there are numerous studies showing increasing feelings of loneliness and social isolation, which probably isn't just due to this, but it may be exacerbated by the fact that it can be difficult to gauge what's appropriate with regard to "normal" social interaction, especially given the consequences for getting it wrong can be pretty dire -- and again, "wrong" in this context is measured by what one person felt, not what the other person intended. I talk to a lot of people around my age, men and women, and it seems like we're all really loving frustrated with the state of social interaction, dating, etc. in modern society. I think part of that is that we've now established what we mustn't do, and that was completely necessary, but we haven't really replaced it with a better, functional replacement.

Again, this comes back to the ways in which patriarchy hurts both women and men. We had a toxic system of gender relations and interpersonal interaction, we've recognized it needs to be destroyed, and we're working on destroying it, but it's like trying to demolish and re-do the only bathroom in your house -- it's going to be an inconvenient pain in the rear end until you have a functional replacement.

This is not to say that we shouldn't be doing what we're presently doing with regard to sexual harassment and sexual assault, just that it's having some unavoidable, unpleasant consequences and I don't think it does anyone any good to simply ignore that they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People are feeling alienated because our economy is hosed and people have less and less financial security in their lives, not because they're terrified they'll get fired for telling the new intern that sweater makes her breasts look great.

It's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx%27s_theory_of_alienation

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2018