Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Playstation 4 posted:

I just get this effect from my overnight warehouse work, and that's only 45 a week.
That's less 'what constitutes a day' and more 'what is the cutoff for when the day changes in your schedule', in my experience with working nights. And how hard it is to answer depends on if you maintain a solid block of sleep or if you sleep in shorter(but less effective) chunks in a desperate attempt to maintain a normal social life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i was surgically attached to a hot desk in a childhood accident and i can never leave it; my children are countless and my penis is the trunk of a sunburnt elephant

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Octopoon posted:

i was surgically attached to a hot desk in a childhood accident and i can never leave it; my children are countless and my penis is the trunk of a sunburnt elephant

This but not sarcastically.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't think they've aggressively ditched optical drives, though? There's just a limited use case for them at this point, and it's better served by external peripherals. Compared with some of those things, they first built up a system that made optical drives mostly unnecessary, and then got rid of having them built in.

Thank god all those other things have gone away, mind you.

of course they did. Mac software got much less shelf space than PC in brick and motor.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I work 35 hours a week and you're paying me double if I work a second more and I spend 30 additional hours contemplating the gym. I also have 4 separate prehensile penises that I use to keep 5 women in a perpetual state of pregnancy. I employ 60 au pairs to help care for my 400 offspring.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I am a shapeshifter and I sleep in a five gallon bucket as a pool of water.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We work 84 hour weeks for two months straight a go when we're out on an expedition, but we don't have any other responsibilities outside our shifts as we're on a ship where someone else is doing all the cooking and cleaning and laundry. It's just wake up, eat, work, eat, work, eat, gym, sleep, repeat for ~60 days. Still taxing even with a bit of downtime and nothing else to concern ourselves with, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone who had to actually manage their life at the same time.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
just lmao if you sleep

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
edit: nvm

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I cut in half any hours claimed by anybody who touches a computer at a desk for a job. You play Excel for money. Get a Twitch account and start advertising on autism support forums.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Every hour you don't spend at work is stealing from the company, if you stop and think about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ryonguy posted:

I cut in half any hours claimed by anybody who touches a computer at a desk for a job. You play Excel for money. Get a Twitch account and start advertising on autism support forums.

Yeah, it's true. If you bill by the hour, and actually accurately keep track of the time you're doing work, you'll be surprised how loving exhausted you feel when you actually manage to bill eight hours in one day.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ryonguy posted:

When I said I work 80 hours (or the 50 to 60 I work most of the time,) that is including reading books. Since, it’s like, part of my job.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

biznatchio posted:

Every hour you don't spend at work is stealing from the company, if you stop and think about it.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

When I said I work 80 hours (or the 50 to 60 I work most of the time,) that is including reading books. Since, it’s like, part of my job.

Yeah, when the poor talk about working, they don't mean time spent at "education" or whatever you tell the IRS to dodge taxes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yeah, when the poor talk about working, they don't mean time spent at "education" or whatever you tell the IRS to dodge taxes.

When I worked 37.5 hours in retail management I felt like I was working 80 hours a week because gently caress retail. And that was all work, no sitting around, no browsing facebook bullshit, it was work the whole time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

just lmao if you sleep

With on demand sceduling that can be a reality. My life is sort of hung around vessel schedules. It sucks but I put up with because I do good in the world.

Increasingly that type of scedule is becoming more common though. Let's say you have two part time jobs each scheduled by algorithms. gently caress I can't imagine putting up with it with meaning and adequate compensation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my friend has some high paying tech job where he HAS to have his company phone on 24/7 and has to be able to get into work within X minutes if he gets the call, that's on top of his regular hours. Some server poo poo its pants at 4am? Better get dressed.

I've even heard of this starting with some hospitality work. lovely bosses that don't tell you your schedule until days before? How about a boss that demands you always be on call in case they need some extra front desk person at the hotel, and if you don't come in quick enough every time then you might mysteriously see yourself getting fewer and fewer shifts.

There's no reason for it, it's entirely to the advantage of lovely lazy managers that don't want to plan things in advance and want to save some pennies by under-staffing every shift and then dragging people in only if absolutely needed, rather than just properly staffing shifts every day. It can make sense if your work is more like being a firefighter and it's impossible to schedule when poo poo is going down. I had a friend who was a pilot (boats) and they generally knew in advance when things were coming in, sometimes ships would get delayed or show up early and out you had to go. But for poo poo like a hotel front desk that just wants to save money? gently caress em, make that poo poo illegal.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress em, make that poo poo illegal.

Make them pay for "on call" time and they will soon stop doing it, except for highly paid people like your techie friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my friend has some high paying tech job where he HAS to have his company phone on 24/7 and has to be able to get into work within X minutes if he gets the call, that's on top of his regular hours. Some server poo poo its pants at 4am? Better get dressed.

I've even heard of this starting with some hospitality work. lovely bosses that don't tell you your schedule until days before? How about a boss that demands you always be on call in case they need some extra front desk person at the hotel, and if you don't come in quick enough every time then you might mysteriously see yourself getting fewer and fewer shifts.

There's no reason for it, it's entirely to the advantage of lovely lazy managers that don't want to plan things in advance and want to save some pennies by under-staffing every shift and then dragging people in only if absolutely needed, rather than just properly staffing shifts every day. It can make sense if your work is more like being a firefighter and it's impossible to schedule when poo poo is going down. I had a friend who was a pilot (boats) and they generally knew in advance when things were coming in, sometimes ships would get delayed or show up early and out you had to go. But for poo poo like a hotel front desk that just wants to save money? gently caress em, make that poo poo illegal.

At my retail job this sort of thing was common but it was less lovely managers and just a fact of life that was pushed down from corporate. You have x amount of labor hours, now deal with it.

And if you don't like coming in on your days off or whenever they need you, you get called lazy and poo poo and you can say goodbye to even your regular hours.

When I first started I would see retaliation on a regular basis by having my hours slashed from week to week if I told my boss no.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

The standard going rate for a technical job at a large company where you get an on call rotation where you need to respond immediately and potentially depart for the office shortly after to fix the issue is on the order of $1000 for a week of being available for that 12 hours a day.

Therefore, let us simply require a hotel or a restaurant to pay the same amount of money if they want the same responsiveness.

Ps banning it is ludicrous, tech job pages are usually for specific work that only a few people in the company can do, and are typically on a rotation system where it's not the same person always on call, it's everyone across the team who does it over a rotation cycle and again, for specific extra pay.

Edit: I'll point out that say 1000 bucks for 12 hour availability for 7 days is essentially paying 12 bucks an hour + in an hourly job also getting the normal pay on top.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In my experience (I only worked at independent places, can't speak for corporate or chain joints), restaurant and bar owners, whether in a cynical way or not, tend to really push the "we're a family here!" thing. Which... some families are better than others. I ended up getting guilted into doing a lot of poo poo that was absolutely not worth doing for $2.75/hr+tips, either because I really liked, or was really afraid of, the boss that was asking.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/USATODAYmoney/status/956989155950542849

quote:

We would treat the proposed transactions, if completed, as tantamount to a default,'' S&P Global Ratings said in a note Wednesday, adding that its outlook for the retailer was negative, reflecting that, "if the proposed transactions are completed, we will lower the corporate credit rating to 'SD' (selective default) and the issue-level ratings on the affected debt facilities to 'D.' "

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

You know, I swear I've seen this bulletin about Sears so many times in the last couple months that I'm beginning to think they've drifted into some sort of weird negative-energy, invert thermodynamics space.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

biznatchio posted:

♪♫Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime...
that's why I poop on company time!
♫♪

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Crow Jane posted:

In my experience (I only worked at independent places, can't speak for corporate or chain joints), restaurant and bar owners, whether in a cynical way or not, tend to really push the "we're a family here!" thing. Which... some families are better than others. I ended up getting guilted into doing a lot of poo poo that was absolutely not worth doing for $2.75/hr+tips, either because I really liked, or was really afraid of, the boss that was asking.

Yeah if I'm continually late to dinner my parents aren't going to loving fire me from my position of son.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You know, I swear I've seen this bulletin about Sears so many times in the last couple months that I'm beginning to think they've drifted into some sort of weird negative-energy, invert thermodynamics space.
Nah. Sears is at the point of saying "we need to restructure our debt or we'll default" and S&P is saying "if you restructure the way you're proposing, you're defaulting," and they're one downgrade from being as low as it can possibly go (and the next-lowest rating is basically "they've filed for bankruptcy but are still paying for now")

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ryonguy posted:

I'm sorry that you somehow don't understand that mental effort is valid work, but Mike Rowe is nodding sagely in the background about the nobility of spending every second productively and giving your coprorate overlords the greatest value for the pittance they pay.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

This is also a thing in manufacturing support for equipment or process engineers. I burned out and quit a job after almost two years of it, and then developed an anxiety disorder at my next job from the intensity of the on-call stuff until I quit that one too after another 3.5 years. It's just not worth it, no matter how much they offer to pay. Your health and individual life suffer, your marriage suffers, everything suffers except your bank account. (And honestly, spend enough sessions in CBT and that'll get wrecked too.)

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Sundae posted:

This is also a thing in manufacturing support for equipment or process engineers. I burned out and quit a job after almost two years of it, and then developed an anxiety disorder at my next job from the intensity of the on-call stuff until I quit that one too after another 3.5 years. It's just not worth it, no matter how much they offer to pay. Your health and individual life suffer, your marriage suffers, everything suffers except your bank account. (And honestly, spend enough sessions in CBT and that'll get wrecked too.)

I'm assuming CBT is not standing for what I think it is (coming from a kink background). The effect might be similar.

I'm just now coming off 6 years of being oncall 24/7, 2 years being the exclusive person who could answer these calls. Everyone eventually burns out. Luckily I'm leveraging it into a much better position in a slightly different field where I can chase more money (a team that is larger than my dev team is taking over my responsibilities).

My boss a few days ago remarked that I was going somewhere in the company where I'd be providing less value for more money. Took quite a bit for me to not laugh (Though the guy is usually pretty chill. Started the same time as me and went through an acquisition with me. Turned into corporate dude in that time though.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ganson posted:

I'm assuming CBT is not standing for what I think it is (coming from a kink background). The effect might be similar.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and man this comes up surprisingly often on SA (in both directions)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sorry that you somehow don't understand that mental effort is valid work, but Mike Rowe is nodding sagely in the background about the nobility of spending every second productively and giving your coprorate overlords the greatest value for the pittance they pay.

It's understandable that people who do quite a bit of physically demanding work, even lets say only half of their daily average workload, when around others whose jobs are much less physically demanding look unfavorably upon the latter from time to time. Especially when those office people or whatever get paid quite a bit more for their efforts. It's an unfortunate reality that many skilled professions aren't valued the same as others because screws and plywood instead of spreadsheets and software, and it's a simple backlash reaction to being treated unfairly.

You'd see a lot less of it if more workplaces had their poo poo together in that regard, and of course it ruffles feathers when they don't.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and man this comes up surprisingly often on SA (in both directions)

Yep, this guy's right. Sorry about the abbreviation. It got to the point where I was having panic attacks when the phone rang around the house, I threw up at work quite regularly, lost about 45 pounds in two months, more or less just fell apart from the job stress. Add to the normal job stresses / on-call stresses that this company managers/execs crossed all sorts of lines as far as verbally or physically assaulting employees went, and it was a wonderfully bad way to spend your life. Spent more than a year in therapy afterward on top of taking a SSRI medication.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Reynold posted:

It's understandable that people who do quite a bit of physically demanding work, even lets say only half of their daily average workload, when around others whose jobs are much less physically demanding look unfavorably upon the latter from time to time. Especially when those office people or whatever get paid quite a bit more for their efforts. It's an unfortunate reality that many skilled professions aren't valued the same as others because screws and plywood instead of spreadsheets and software, and it's a simple backlash reaction to being treated unfairly.

You'd see a lot less of it if more workplaces had their poo poo together in that regard, and of course it ruffles feathers when they don't.

It really comes down to required marketable skills and the supply and demand for them. While office work is less physically demanding the amount of people with the skills that can do it is relatively small. Excel imo is easy as heck to use but what percentage of the workforce is proficient at it?

And it isn't like all office jobs are that way. Call center work can be done by any warm body and the pay reflects that. A lot of factory jobs and other physical labor jobs are grueling to do but there are plenty of people willing to do it. Especially since factory work tends to pay more than retail or call centers which would be the other main entry level jobs.

This isn't a justification for the current state of affairs but pay is all about how easy it is to fill a spot and keep it filled.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

Chains can do that pretty heavily too. Food service in general runs on paying as little as possible so you bet your rear end every restaurant ever is trying to push as much work onto the servers as possible. You can hire three servers for the price of somebody else and only need to make up the difference if they end up with less than regular with their tips. If they make any tips at all the restaurant still ends up paying less than minimum.

This is also why they tend to have an expectation that salaried management types will work insane hours and have no life outside the store. McDonald's in particular was notorious for this as they'd make everybody an assistant manager, salary them at $25,000 a year, and then expect 80 hour weeks. Outside of that I met people that loved working for restaurants but left the industry because once they made management they'd do the math and realize their hourly was under minimum because of how many hours they had to pull.

From what I've heard swankier places that want the best people working there aren't as bad but that isn't the majority of food service.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Not just the last couple months.

Sears was downgraded 7 days ago too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Chains can do that pretty heavily too. Food service in general runs on paying as little as possible so you bet your rear end every restaurant ever is trying to push as much work onto the servers as possible. You can hire three servers for the price of somebody else and only need to make up the difference if they end up with less than regular with their tips. If they make any tips at all the restaurant still ends up paying less than minimum.

This is also why they tend to have an expectation that salaried management types will work insane hours and have no life outside the store. McDonald's in particular was notorious for this as they'd make everybody an assistant manager, salary them at $25,000 a year, and then expect 80 hour weeks. Outside of that I met people that loved working for restaurants but left the industry because once they made management they'd do the math and realize their hourly was under minimum because of how many hours they had to pull.

From what I've heard swankier places that want the best people working there aren't as bad but that isn't the majority of food service.

The above, I note, is why I got out of kitchen management. When I was running the kitchen for the bar, I averaged out to 6 bucks an hour.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My dad used to say, "Salary is slavery".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

I predict the stores will be hard to maintain, and people will be often shoplifting by accident due to broken cameras and wifi issues.

They were talking about it on a podcast with one of the guys who checked it out. They use cameras to see the shelves and items, not weights or sensors, so as soon as you take an item off the shelf and walk away an employee has to come over and "reset" the shelf again with the products up front so the next customer can be charged properly. It's a hilariously inefficient system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FCKGW posted:

They were talking about it on a podcast with one of the guys who checked it out. They use cameras to see the shelves and items, not weights or sensors, so as soon as you take an item off the shelf and walk away an employee has to come over and "reset" the shelf again with the products up front so the next customer can be charged properly. It's a hilariously inefficient system.

:laffo: