Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have some nostalgia vision for the tv series but I've also not seen it since new episodes were still airing. It was on Netflix at one point and I couldn't bring myself to see the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will admit the Yerks terrified me on a pretty big level that most villains didn't. Being a prisoner of your own body and having a parasite still go through the motions... Yeesh.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All of the main characters would need cg sequences multiple times per episode, and one of the main characters would either have to be extensive prosthetics or mo-cap cg. Nickelodeon attempted a show back when the series was at peak popularity. It was... not good.

There was also the problem of fight scenes. The books had a lot of action, animals fighting or animals or aliens or destroying property, and a lot of it was pretty gory. No way did Nickelodeon have the budget or the ability to do the action scenes properly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I liked the books as a kid but I don't know how well it would work as a modern adaptation, the series is explicitly about then biding their time fighting a losing guerilla war against an omnipresent invisible alien threat until the good guy aliens finally get their poo poo together and show up to save humanity which is great if you're Schoolastic and need to push out a new book every few weeks for as long as they keep selling but would be really hard to sustain outside of that specific context. Even the books eventually started involving Star Trek style extradimensional god-beings to retcon anything that could actually effect the story or give them a free pass to do unrelated premises like alien battle royales and post-apocalyptic future flashforwards on top of some really bad ghostwritten filler for roughly half it's run.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Eh, you could do that pretty well as a TV series. It wouldn't work well in movies unless you trimmed a lot of fat, though.

e: honestly, something like Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events would be perfect for Animorphs. Because that show is on Netflix and Netflix actually has a set on them, they're able to keep all the insanely dark poo poo from those books, and the show also looks really nice and is basically a 1:1 adaptation. Just skip or cut down the filler books and adapt the ones Applegate wrote in-depth and we'd be golden.

(It would be kind of hilarious to see Netflix do a show that they're basically advertising to kids and have Spartacus-level gore in it, though. Animorphs got hosed up at times.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 26, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(It would be kind of hilarious to see Netflix do a show that they're basically advertising to kids and have Spartacus-level gore in it, though. Animorphs got hosed up at times.)

I only read the first ten or so books, but I remember them each having a chapter where the kids would transform into deadly animals to rip apart a bunch of body jacked humans because, welp, that's war!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Schwarzwald posted:

I only read the first ten or so books

TIL there are fifty-four Animorphs books.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're all so short. It took barely an afternoon to read them when I was in the fifth grade.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yall need to read Applegate's letter to the Animorph readers:

http://www.hiracdelest.com/database/articles/kaa_response-full.htm

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i got in a fistfight in primary school because i insisted goku couldn't kill a garatron because it was too fast and my friend got upset, as goku was his lord and saviour, and he could kill anything

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘Indiana Jones 5’ to Be Steven Spielberg’s Next Film, Followed by ‘West Side Story’

We recently reported that Spielberg had narrowed down his next project to two possibilities: West Side Story and Indiana Jones 5. Then, just earlier today, news broke that Spielberg is already looking to cast West Side Story, suggesting that just maybe this classic musical remake would be the next in line.

But as THR reports, that’s not the case. Their sources indicate that Spielberg will move ahead with Indiana Jones 5 before going into production on West Side Story. The plan is to start principal photography in 2019 for the Harrison Ford-starring franchise features ahead of its planned July 10, 2020 release date.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-filming-2019/

Yay?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's cool that Disney is letting the original director of the Indiana Jones movies back for another. It would be cool if Disney did the same for Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what's Indy 5 most likely to be: 1960s or 1970s?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Wheat Loaf posted:

So what's Indy 5 most likely to be: 1960s or 1970s?

2040s.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's cool that Disney is letting the original director of the Indiana Jones movies back for another. It would be cool if Disney did the same for Star Wars.

Please god no.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Gerald's Game) is directing Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shi...son-1202270283/

It worked for The Phantom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

god

drat

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

What an idiot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish Rian Johnson would write something like that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

This is fuckin badass

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Gerald's Game) is directing Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shi...son-1202270283/

It worked for The Phantom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA

I'm still blown away that of all the lovely licensed video games out there based on popular stuff, Phantom 2040 got a legit good metroidvania-ish action game with a grappling hook and multiple endings/paths through the game that altered the story and structure of the levels depending on what order and how you beat them and everything. It was awesome.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fart City posted:

TIL there are fifty-four Animorphs books.

Is that including the spinoffs and side stories? I think if you include everything it's closer to 70.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It would be cool if Disney did the same for Star Wars.

No, I don't think it's a great idea to let the least capable director Star Wars ever had have another shot at the franchise. I mean, I'd like to think he's been humbled and maybe had come to realize he isn't a genius, but it's still George Lucas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disagree slightly. Whatever rando directed Return of the Jedi is probably the worst.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, I don't think it's a great idea to let the least capable director Star Wars ever had have another shot at the franchise. I mean, I'd like to think he's been humbled and maybe had come to realize he isn't a genius, but it's still George Lucas.

Where has George Lucas said he's a genius?

Edit
Pictured, a Hollywood monster who needs to be humbled of his hubris-

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 27, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is that spaghetti bolognese? who the gently caress eats that at a fast food place

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A man who won’t stop loving with his movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krankenstyle posted:

I admire how didactic this is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CelticPredator posted:

a monster imo, regardless of the movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krankenstyle posted:

is that spaghetti bolognese? who the gently caress eats that at a fast food place

A man of taste and class.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Pizza Hutt in my country has pretty good asian sauce spaghetti. Which are the only ones I eat because tomatoes make my joints swell.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Krankenstyle posted:

Nosir, that is Grade-A trashbag Mall Chinese.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no. NO.

there are only two kinds of good spaghetti: homecooked & from an actual italian place.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Nosir, that is Grade-A trashbag Mall Chinese.

George chowing down on bourbon chicken makes him a man of the people.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

George Lucas, free at last from the clutches of Star Wars and thus PepsiCo, finally gets to drink Coke again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He can't make commercial edits of Star Wars anymore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, if Disney lets him, he can, and unlike most of us he's a Movie Person so he can actually ask for the privilege (though whether they'd let him do any more, especially given the reactions to the previous edits, is up in the air). He just can't unilaterally decide "I'm going to make a new edit of Star Wars now" and have that be the new existing version anymore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

So good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

George chowing down on bourbon chicken makes him a man of the people.

Telling a richass zoning board “Fine, gently caress you, if you won’t let me expand my business on property I already own, in a way that preserves green space and still makes everything all nice and pretty, I’ll just put up low-income housing instead” makes him a man of the people.

Still doesn’t make up for the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Commercial being the operative word. He could privately be making his own edits.