Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

stringball posted:

justification
The justification is that it was better than starving when the food was first invented. People just keep eating putrid fermented fish out of stubborn tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Move over Tide Pods there's a new delicious challenge in town

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Memento posted:

Newest YouTube phenomenon: "Turbo antifreeze chug challenge"! Exactly one day later the amount of retarded YouTube stars decreases by 100%. And there is much rejoicing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The hell of it is that I bet that poo poo actually tastes better than some low-end beers.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

stringball posted:

All of these "strange" foods I could reasonably see people eating but I still have never seen justification for: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Just reading the "controversy" page alone is hilarious and I wonder if there's many people who enjoyed it the first time

I heard you’re supposed to open that poo poo underwater outside so the smell doesn’t get out and then put it into your mouth ASAP. Supposedly it is actually very tasty and has a nice texture but the liquid it’s canned with smells horrible. But this was described by a surstromming liker so whooo knows :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xun posted:

I heard you’re supposed to open that poo poo underwater outside so the smell doesn’t get out and then put it into your mouth ASAP. Supposedly it is actually very tasty and has a nice texture but the liquid it’s canned with smells horrible. But this was described by a surstromming liker so whooo knows :shrug:

For a minute I thought you were talking about the radiator coolant.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

[Scandinavian dirt farmer tapping head meme] food can't go bad if it's already rotten

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xun posted:

Most Norwegians I see commentng on videos about it say you’re supposed to wash it and prepare it with other ingredients and seasoning first.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Memento posted:

Amazing.

Brb gonna market test a new product, its bleach that comes in a Capri Sun bag, with a straw (for bleaching corners)

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

[Scandinavian dirt farmer tapping head meme] food can't go bad if it's already rotten

Surströmming is technically edible and takes half the amount of salt to produce as actually salting the fish. :colbert: Double the food for the same price!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO49pNF7XWw

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I get the feeling most tins that North Americans get their hands on are rotten. Look at the fish in this video. They are actual fish, not some horrid soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaedvVBkV8

The video you linked even has them saying "I was told not to eat it if it is watery" but they do it anyway.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I've had it twice now in Sweden and no you do not rinse it, were you thinking of lutefisk? Anyway, you can smell a can being opened from twenty feet away and you eat it with tunnbröd, sour cream and red onions.

Well, others may eat it differently but that's what the northerners I was with did. The older people prefer the well fermented, old truly truly bulging (and often a little rusty) tins.

First time I was able to eat it, second time I basically immediately gagged. I guess my body learned.

Vital accompaniment: lots of aquavit

Edit: a little goes a real long way with surströmming.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jan 25, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Indolent Bastard posted:

I get the feeling most tins that North Americans get their hands on are rotten. Look at the fish in this video. They are actual fish, not some horrid soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaedvVBkV8

The video you linked even has them saying "I was told not to eat it if it is watery" but they do it anyway.

They just made their interns eat it so they didn't care. Fun fact- the blonde guy that eats it is the white guy blinking meme, Drew Scanlon.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Memento posted:

energy drinks already smell and taste horrible enough for this to be problematic

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Memento posted:

Man that tasted awful gimme something to wash it away

edit: lol also every product should have a THIS PRODUCT WORKS! blazon on it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My Turkish Pepper came in today. I like it! I wish it was more peppery, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

edit: lol also every product should have a THIS PRODUCT WORKS! blazon on it.

Automotive Homeopathy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
< NO, REALLY THIS WORKS>
<TRUST ME >
vvvvvvvvvvv

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if there's a market for car-related snake oil.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, as an excuse to dress up in red robes as a Machine Shaman legally distinct from the Adeptus Mechanicus. (didn't Games Workshop get completely owned the last time they tried to enforce their trademarks anyway?)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inescapable Duck posted:

Oh yeah.

tl;dr: Peter Brock was the greatest domestic race car driver Australia has ever produced. He torpedoed his wildly successful 15 year relationship with General Motors when he insisted on putting some woo-woo crystal hippy bullshit in the cars he was tuning up for the factory.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

10 Beers posted:

Well, I just ordered some Turkish Pepper on Amazon. We'll see what happens.

e: just noticed the version I ordered doesn't have pepper in it.

It's not supposed to have actual pepper in it, it's always been just good 'ol ammonium chloride.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, as an excuse to dress up in red robes as a Machine Shaman legally distinct from the Adeptus Mechanicus. (didn't Games Workshop get completely owned the last time they tried to enforce their trademarks anyway?)

Only because "space marine" has been a thing since like, Lensman was published.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

stringball posted:

All of these "strange" foods I could reasonably see people eating but I still have never seen justification for: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Just reading the "controversy" page alone is hilarious and I wonder if there's many people who enjoyed it the first time
"Because of the strong smell, surströmming is ordinarily eaten outdoors. The pressurized can is usually opened some distance away from the dining table, and is often initially punctured while immersed in a bucket of water, which prevents brine from spraying onto clothes and traps most of the smell."

I thought it was bad the time someone dropped a piece of Hakarl in a movie theater and we had to crawl around on the floor to find it, this sounds much worse.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

The box said 10 horsepower!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDcIApBtL8&t=35s

There's also a ton of super-magical gas saving devices that do stuff like spin the air going into the engine a certain way or convert your gasoline to analog to increase the warmth of your exhaust.

edit:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

quote:

The Electronic Engine Ionizer Fuel Saver consists of a couple of pieces of wire molded to some rubber blocks, which the manufacturer refers to as "capacitor blocks." There are no capacitors in them, however, as we found out during the test. The rubber blocks clip onto the spark plug wires near the plugs, and are intended to carry the "corona charge" from one cylinder's plug wire to the electrodes of the other plugs. This charge is supposed to "cause a partial breakdown in the larger hydrocarbon molecules in all the non-firing cylinders, resulting in increased combustion efficiency." Yeah. Normally, we try to prevent cross-coupling between spark plug wires to prevent crossfiring between cylinders. The Engine Ionizer seems calculated to promote crossfire.

THE DYNO SAYS: The truck we tested showed about a 15-hp loss with the Ionizer. About 10 miles into our economy test, the left bank of rubber capacitor blocks started to melt and sag onto the red-hot exhaust manifold. When smoke started to fill the dyno room, we interrupted the test and redressed the wires and capacitor blocks more securely. But when one on the right bank liquefied and dripped onto the manifold, we had flames a good 2 ft. tall, requiring the use of a 20-pound fire extinguisher. This, of course, terminated the test. Besides, most of the capacitor blocks looked like yesterday's chewing gum. Consequently, we have no comment as to the abilities of the Electronic Engine Ionizer Fuel Saver to reduce fuel consumption.

C.M. Kruger has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

C.M. Kruger posted:

The box said 10 horsepower!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDcIApBtL8&t=35s

There's also a ton of super-magical gas saving devices that do stuff like spin the air going into the engine a certain way or convert your gasoline to analog to increase the warmth of your exhaust.

edit:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

My favorites are the devices that actively reduce fuel economy and performance.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I've eaten that. It's fairly similar to chocolate with salt, but there's a nice hint of Vegemite at the end. It's not something I'd go out of my way for (largely because I'm not that keen on milk chocolate) but I'd eat it again if it was offered to me.
To me it just seemed Eh.
You'd clearly taste the milk chocolate and after that's melted in your mouth for a bit you'd get a tiny taste of Vegemite and you'd screw your face up a little because like, it's two very different flavours that don't match or compliment or even really mix at all what was the point of this.
The Vegemite-In-A-Biskets were a good Vegemite promo item though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A good while back I posted a milk drink advert that baffled me to this day on how it survived for more than a few weeks that mostly featured a loud screaming baby during most of it. Here it is! This stupid advert was on public channels in the morning, so every lunch hour or so nearly every restaurant would have a loud, screaming child sound blaring thru it for 30 seconds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I feel the same way about ads (fortunately rare now) that start off with an alarm clock going on and waking someone up. Instant, visceral dislike of whatever you're trying to sell me, it's literally Pavlovian.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Or radio ads which have sirens, horns, or various car accident sounds. That poo poo should be illegal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even before I had kids, crying baby sounds in media were the worst. Makes Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" painful to listen to even though it's a great song.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I understand Google Home and Amazon Echo commercials wanting to demonstrate the voice commands...

But it feels almost like I'm being punished for owning the product in question by having it go off on me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Waffleman_ posted:

I understand Google Home and Amazon Echo commercials wanting to demonstrate the voice commands...

But it feels almost like I'm being punished for owning the product in question by having it go off on me.

I was gifted an Echo, I changed it's name from Alexa to Echo just for this

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I was gifted an Echo, I changed it's name from Alexa to Echo just for this

If you're not using 'Computer' I don't know what to tell you.

Actually don't, because you have no idea how often you use the word 'computer' in everyday conversation. I had to change it back pretty much right away.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think my favorite is still when Burger King had their ad having the guy very specifically trying to trigger your Google device to read off facts about the Whopper. It typically read the first few lines in the Wikipedia article about it, so BK kept trying to edit in their brand-specific wording into the opening, and Wiki mods kept telling them to gently caress off and editing it back. This culminated in people making (arguably) funny edits to the Whopper page so that Google phones would read dumb poo poo about the Whopper instead of prepared lines by BK themselves. I think the campaigned lasted less than a week, if even that.

Fake edit: As I was typing this, I thought it had been 2 different ad campaigns, one with McDonald's editing their Big Mac page, and one with Burger King using OK Google. Ends up they were both facets of the Burger King thing, which just makes it even more hilarious.

real edit: I read a bit more into it, and Google and Wikipedia both took steps to stop the ad from working, since it violated Wikipedia's rules about advertising and was just sort of a lovely user experience for Google Home users. BK managed to get some workarounds, and ended up winning an award for it. Christ.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CommonShore posted:

Or radio ads which have sirens, horns, or various car accident sounds. That poo poo should be illegal.

Yes. Holy poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SpacePig posted:

BK managed to get some workarounds, and ended up winning an award for it. Christ.

What, like an advertising award? I want to see what the internal voting process is like for those things. "Yeah this campaign here made people smash their TVs to get away from it but this one got people to drive into rivers to make it stop. Tough choice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

What, like an advertising award? I want to see what the internal voting process is like for those things. "Yeah this campaign here made people smash their TVs to get away from it but this one got people to drive into rivers to make it stop. Tough choice."

Yeah, although theyre all basically meaningless, either due to being a bumfuck nobodies award or having no relation to success. The CLIO which was a top ad award for decades had a correlation between winning the award and losing the businnes the next year.