Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The American lit trash princesses have finally turned on each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

quote:

In other words, this is the poetry of capitalism.

This is a dope burn

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot tell if this is a parody or real

what's a gpa

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
it struck me as 'mytwistedmind.wordpress.com, the book' plus ms paint drawings

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shibawanko posted:

what's a gpa

As far as I can tell, a numeric score assigned to Americans by their education system, that both measures and determines their worth to society and their life trajectory. High GPA, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Low GPA, sleazy stripper. Relevant quote:

quote:

The study, based on high-school transcript data and interviews of more than 10,000 students, found that, for men, a one-point increase in GPA translated to an 11.85-percent increase in annual earnings, compared to a 13.77 percent annual earnings increase for women

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it is deeply funny to me that you read what im assuming was an entire book of rupi kaur's instagram posts, derp

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I am realizing I was very lucky to be able to assume that by "rupi" he meant "Rumi"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
GPA is a 4 point score used in colleges to determine grades

4.0 a
3.5 a-
3.0 b

Etc.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
rumi kaur, famous sufi instagram poet

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it is deeply funny to me that you read what im assuming was an entire book of rupi kaur's instagram posts, derp

i did get about a third the way through before giving up. at each page turn i questioned my self further. am i crazy, or is the world crazy? i thought. and the few times that i got one that was sort of good, or made me think or feel a little bit, there would be a ridiculous drawing on the next page that undercut the writing by slapping me in the face with its surface level meaning. except, i guess, i was just imagining any meaning beyond the surface.

so, glad to hear she's lovely and im not crazy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

drat we missed a chance to mindfuck derp

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

derp posted:

I would like poetry recommends for a noob. I got rupi Kaur milk and honey and idgi at all. So not whatever kind of poetry that is.

rumi kaur, famous sufi instagram poet

For reals, I didn't realize "Rupi Kaur" was a real person and I just thought they meant Rumi and maybe Kaur was a last name or a title or something I wasn't familiar with, I've barely read Rumi and what little I've read didn't grab me so I thought "Ok, maybe the Rubaiyat would be a better starting place"

quote:

“For me, poetry is like holding up a mirror and seeing myself,” Rupi Kaur, the best-selling Instapoet of all time, has said. In other words, this is the poetry of capitalism.

quote:

Reality replied: O prisoner of time,
I was a secret treasure of kindness and generosity,
and I wished this treasure to be known,
so I created a mirror: its shining face, the heart;
its darkened back, the world;
The back would please you if you've never seen the face.

Has anyone ever produced a mirror out of mud and straw?
Yet clean away the mud and straw,
and a mirror might be revealed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
“For me, poetry is like holding up a mirror and seeing myself,”
lol
or, like posting a selfie and looking at it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

GPA is a 4 point score used in colleges to determine grades

4.0 a
3.5 a-
3.0 b

Etc.

How poetic...

The best poetry is by Brecht imo:

quote:

Step foward: we hear
That you are a good man.
You cannot be bought, but the lightning
Which strikes the house, also
Cannot be bought.
You hold to what you said.
But what did you say?
You are honest, you say your opinion.
Which opinion?
You are brave.
Against whom?
You are wise.
For whom?
You do not consider personal advantages.
Whose advantages do you consider then?
You are a good friend
Are you also a good friend of the good people?

Hear us then: we know
You are our enemy. This is why we shall
Now put you in front of a wall.
But in consideration of
your merits and good qualities
We shall put you in front of a good wall and shoot you
With a good bullet from from a good gun and bury you
With a good shovel in the good earth.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
My mom (God bless her) bought me a Rupi Kaur book of poems for Christmas because some girl at chapters said it was good and she knows I like poetry. I read like 3 poems and it is loving garbage, yes.

For good poetry, I am reading Danez Smith, who is a black queer poet from Minneapolis. It's good poo poo:

Dinosaurs in the Hood posted:

Let’s make a movie called Dinosaurs in the Hood.
Jurassic Park meets Friday meets The Pursuit of Happyness.
There should be a scene where a little black boy is playing
with a toy dinosaur on the bus, then looks out the window
& sees the T. Rex, because there has to be a T. Rex.

Don’t let Tarantino direct this. In his version, the boy plays
with a gun, the metaphor: black boys toy with their own lives,
the foreshadow to his end, the spitting image of his father.
gently caress that, the kid has a plastic Brontosaurus or Triceratops
& this is his proof of magic or God or Santa. I want a scene

where a cop car gets pooped on by a pterodactyl, a scene
where the corner store turns into a battle ground. Don’t let
the Wayans brothers in this movie. I don’t want any racist poo poo
about Asian people or overused Latino stereotypes.
This movie is about a neighborhood of royal folks —

children of slaves & immigrants & addicts & exiles — saving their town
from real-rear end dinosaurs. I don’t want some cheesy yet progressive
Hmong sexy hot dude hero with a funny yet strong commanding
black girl buddy-cop film. This is not a vehicle for Will Smith
& Sofia Vergara. I want grandmas on the front porch taking out raptors

with guns they hid in walls & under mattresses. I want those little spitty,
screamy dinosaurs. I want Cicely Tyson to make a speech, maybe two.
I want Viola Davis to save the city in the last scene with a black fist afro pick
through the last dinosaur’s long, cold-blood neck. But this can’t be
a black movie. This can’t be a black movie. This movie can’t be dismissed

because of its cast or its audience. This movie can’t be a metaphor
for black people & extinction. This movie can’t be about race.
This movie can’t be about black pain or cause black people pain.
This movie can’t be about a long history of having a long history with hurt.
This movie can’t be about race. Nobody can say nigga in this movie

who can’t say it to my face in public. No chicken jokes in this movie.
No bullets in the heroes. & no one kills the black boy. & no one kills
the black boy. & no one kills the black boy. Besides, the only reason
I want to make this is for that first scene anyway: the little black boy
on the bus with a toy dinosaur, his eyes wide & endless

his dreams possible, pulsing, & right there.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

thehoodie posted:

My mom (God bless her) bought me a Rupi Kaur book of poems for Christmas because some girl at chapters said it was good and she knows I like poetry. I read like 3 poems and it is loving garbage, yes.

For good poetry, I am reading Danez Smith, who is a black queer poet from Minneapolis. It's good poo poo:

I think you're mistaken, that is a tumblr post with random line breaks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The poets have muddied all the little fountains.
Yet do not my strong eyes know you, far house?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehoodie posted:

This is incredibly repulsive

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thehoodie posted:

:how:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What is wrong with you people

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

thehoodie posted:

this sucks dude

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that dinosaur example of poetry is what has always confused me about what poetry actually is. I remember i had a creative writing class in like, 10th grade and i couldn't get my teacher to explain to me what makes something a poem. so for a poem i had to write for an assignment, i just wrote out a paragraph about how i didn't understand what poetry was, spaced it out to have the shape of a poem, and turned it in and got full credit for it. I was kind of hoping he would explain to me why it wasn't poetry but i guess it was.

so since then i've always had a vague understand of of poetry as being 'prose with weird line breaks'

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It seems alright to me. Inoffensive, juvenile, kinda blog-y, but at the same time it's got a solid structure and some funny imagery that comes to a coherent point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

derp posted:

that dinosaur example of poetry is what has always confused me about what poetry actually is. I remember i had a creative writing class in like, 10th grade and i couldn't get my teacher to explain to me what makes something a poem. so for a poem i had to write for an assignment, i just wrote out a paragraph about how i didn't understand what poetry was, spaced it out to have the shape of a poem, and turned it in and got full credit for it. I was kind of hoping he would explain to me why it wasn't poetry but i guess it was.

so since then i've always had a vague understand of of poetry as being 'prose with weird line breaks'

Prose walks like this

Poetry walks like this

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I'm horribly tone deaf + my spoken English is awful, but, it looks like it sounds good, too, doesn't it? At least, it's made of parts that sound good

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This profile of Rupi Kaur is incredible for how bad it makes her look purely by accurately quoting her and describing her:
https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/profile-rupi-kaur-author-of-milk-and-honey.html

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

I bet you all will like this, instead

dear white america posted:

i’ve left Earth in search of darker planets, a solar system revolving too near a black hole. i’ve left in search of a new God. i do not trust the God you have given us. my grandmother’s hallelujah is only outdone by the fear she nurses every time the blood-fat summer swallows another child who used to sing in the choir. take your God back. though his songs are beautiful, his miracles are inconsistent. i want the fate of Lazarus for Renisha, want Chucky, Bo, Meech, Trayvon, Sean & Jonylah risen three days after their entombing, their ghost re-gifted flesh & blood, their flesh & blood re-gifted their children. i’ve left Earth, i am equal parts sick of your go back to Africa & i just don’t see race. neither did the poplar tree. we did not build your boats (though we did leave a trail of kin to guide us home). we did not build your prisons (though we did & we fill them too). we did not ask to be part of your America (though are we not America? her joints brittle & dragging a ripped gown through Oakland?). i can’t stand your ground. i’m sick of calling your recklessness the law. each night, i count my brothers. & in the morning, when some do not survive to be counted, i count the holes they leave. i reach for black folks & touch only air. your master magic trick, America. now he’s breathing, now he don’t. abra-cadaver. white bread voodoo. sorcery you claim not to practice, hand my cousin a pistol to do your work. i tried, white people. i tried to love you, but you spent my brother’s funeral making plans for brunch, talking too loud next to his bones. you took one look at the river, plump with the body of boy after girl after sweet boi & ask why does it always have to be about race? because you made it that way! because you put an asterisk on my sister’s gorgeous face! call her pretty (for a black girl)! because black girls go missing without so much as a whisper of where?! because there are no amber alerts for amber-skinned girls! because Jordan boomed. because Emmett whistled. because Huey P. spoke. because Martin preached. because black boys can always be too loud to live. because it’s taken my papa’s & my grandma’s time, my father’s time, my mother’s time, my aunt’s time, my uncle’s time, my brother’s & my sister’s time . . . how much time do you want for your progress? i’ve left Earth to find a place where my kin can be safe, where black people ain’t but people the same color as the good, wet earth, until that means something, until then i bid you well, i bid you war, i bid you our lives to gamble with no more. i’ve left Earth & i am touching everything you beg your telescopes to show you. i’m giving the stars their right names. & this life, this new story & history you cannot steal or sell or cast overboard or hang or beat or drown or own or redline or shackle or silence or cheat or choke or cover up or jail or shoot or jail or shoot or jail or shoot or ruin

this, if only this one, is ours.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
She's kinda hot

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Read Emily Dickinson

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

“This guy is the best,” she says, noticing an edition of Kafka’s complete stories; she’s referring to Peter Mendelsund, the book’s designer. “The dream is to have him design my next book."

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

“This guy is the best,” she says, noticing an edition of Kafka’s complete stories; she’s referring to Peter Mendelsund, the book’s designer. “The dream is to have him design my next book."

:thunk:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

thehoodie posted:

I bet you all will like this, instead

this isn't good either. do you read anything good

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
prose poetry is almost universally maturbatory trash tho. the only exception I can think to make rn is poe's eureka, and then only because it's 1) insane and 2) weirdly spot on about the Big Bang somehow

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Gotta say I'm with Rupi Kaur re: Mendelsund. He is the only book cover designer whose name I know because The Rings of Saturn is the only book whose cover was interesting enough for me to look it up.

e: that said, everything else about her public persona is pathetic and pandering, and her books belong in the trash.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

derp posted:

this is a great story actually, lol I love hearing stories of huge miscommunication between teachers and students that leads to this poo poo

my friend during college took a creative writing poetry class during summer, and one week the teacher wanted everyone to write a fourth of July poem. so my friend just writes this cute, dumb little rhyme about a group of plucky kids firing off roman candles in the middle of the neighborhood on a school night while eating cold hotdogs. one line was something like "torturing the dogs 'til they howled in fear" or something like that, just some clever way of saying "the fireworks were loud and dogs hate loud things"

i guess that line wasn't clear enough though, and the teacher, when she read the poem, latched onto the idea of dogs being tortured, and she gave him a C- and sent him her own revised version of the poem, something she said was more vivid. she twisted this silly, light-hearted adventure into this loving free verse rudyard kipling nightmare about a posse of kids shoving lit fireworks up dog's "virgin holes", gunsmoke and the heavy miasma of ichor soaking the dilapidated neighborhood. he was so destroyed when he received this revised edit and I really, really wish I saved both the before and after poems just to show the grotesque transformation and completely missed point of the original.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 27, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
what the gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I bought this weird travelogue where a dude travels around my part of the world and just remembers things & drops some historical tidbits and what-not. It's strange and meandering, and hardcover with an illustrated dust jacket & everything!

What a publisher, to publish crazy narrow poo poo like that. It seems he's only written 3 books at all in his life and they're all like that.

*looking him up* ah, he was the director of the publisher at the time.

Still, it's quite entertaining, heh.

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfred_Hartmann

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Douk Douk posted:

this is a great story actually, lol I love hearing stories of huge miscommunication between teachers and students that leads to this poo poo

my friend during college took a creative writing poetry class during summer, and one week the teacher wanted everyone to write a fourth of July poem. so my friend just writes this cute, dumb little rhyme about a group of plucky kids firing off roman candles in the middle of the neighborhood on a school night while eating cold hotdogs. one line was something like "torturing the dogs 'til they howled in fear" or something like that, just some clever way of saying "the fireworks were loud and dogs hate loud things"

i guess that line wasn't clear enough though, and the teacher, when she read the poem, latched onto the idea of dogs being tortured, and she gave him a C- and sent him her own revised version of the poem, something she said was more vivid. she twisted this silly, light-hearted adventure into this loving free verse rudyard kipling nightmare about a posse of kids shoving lit fireworks up dog's "virgin holes", gunsmoke and the heavy miasma of ichor soaking the dilapidated neighborhood. he was so destroyed when he received this revised edit and I really, really wish I saved both the before and after poems just to show the grotesque transformation and completely missed point of the original.

pls do you have a copy of this

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

prose poetry is almost universally maturbatory trash tho. the only exception I can think to make rn is poe's eureka, and then only because it's 1) insane and 2) weirdly spot on about the Big Bang somehow

Moscow to The End of the Line by Venedikt Erofeev is ludicrously good and I've heard people call it prose poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

this isn't good either. do you read anything good

I knew you would like it. I mostly just thought it interesting that there were no contemporary poets cited in this thread and had this Smith book on my desk. I think he has better poems but I like these (they are also originally spoken word so that somewhat changes them.

How about Vanessa Place: Psalm and Miss Scarlett

Or Charles Bernstein: Dear Mr Fanelli

Or Alejandra Pizarnik (she is not contemporary though): Three Poems

Also Mendelsund is rad, check out his What We See When We Read for a good time (though it doesn't explore the concept as deeply as I would have liked)