Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Or video games could do better and stop pandering to horny forever alone nerds while hiding behind all the flimsy excuses for it that people are trying to white knight game devs with itt so that those conversations aren't necessary.

I’d prefer that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

You realize the latter half of that post is making fun of you right

Yeah I'm fine with that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
like a science fiction double feature

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah it doesn't really have any bangers but for the type of game it is I think most of the tracks work in that they set the mood of the environments so well.

and of course, as soon as I posted that, like three tracks I remember start playing in my head. brain, why do you betray me

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only time a video game titillated me was seeing Cloud in a dress.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

The only time a video game titillated me was seeing Cloud in a dress.

You like a girl with a big sword and a long backstory?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nier:A objectifies everyone and moreso than 2B ever is, so I always lol at people whining about her meanwhile our introduction to Adam and Eve is naked man rear end and they roll 'round shirtless all game.

You can also blow 9S' shorts off so the skirt exploding thing isn't even 2B only lollll

Even if the game had zero sexual themes for her outfit to play into, Taro is objectifying the men in this game as well so it's not like some excuse for hot woman rear end. It's an excuse for hot android bodies of all types.

Granted Corn is prob one of those people who thinks it's okay to objectify dudes in media because it's 'their turn' or smth dumb as gently caress.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
fridge corn in the bible

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

esperterra posted:

Granted Corn is prob one of those people who thinks it's okay to objectify dudes in media because it's 'their turn' or smth dumb as gently caress.

I know I was just on the other side of this argument but you're not seriously suggesting it's just as wrong to objectify men as women, right

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Flopper Fantasy 10 (inches).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fridge corn posted:

Is I am satsuma any good?

im setsuna is ffx's story except you murder yuna at the end because she's an idiot, and chrono trigger's battle system except with timed attacks that you can't use unless you charge your limit break

also the game tells you about timed attacks, and that they're very important, but the tutorial never actually tells you what button you need to push to activate them, or the conditions under which you can use them :psyduck:

if you're looking for a refreshing game, maybe try out Grandia 1 or The Last Story? i played them both for the first time within the past two years, but they stand out as being among the best games i've played in the past two years :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 26, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

esperterra posted:

Even if the game had zero sexual themes for her outfit to play into, Taro is objectifying the men in this game as well so it's not like some excuse for hot woman rear end. It's an excuse for hot android bodies of all types.

Lol you're so clueless. Please educate yourself on gender equality thx

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

im setsuna is ffx's story except you murder yuna at the end because she's an idiot, and chrono trigger's battle system except with timed attacks that you can't use unless you charge your limit break

also the game tells you about timed attacks, and that they're very important, but the tutorial never actually tells you what button you need to push to activate them, or the conditions under which you can use them :psyduck:

if you're looking for a refreshing game, maybe try out Grandia 1 or The Last Story? i played them both for the first time within the past two years, but they stand out as being among the best games i've played in the past two years :v:

I think i played the first grandia way back when it first came out on ps1?? If I'm thinking of the right game. I can't really remember much about it tbh other than the main character was named Jason I think ams he had a weird hat. Also the green haired girl?? It was a weird game with a weird feel

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arist posted:

I know I was just on the other side of this argument but you're not seriously suggesting it's just as wrong to objectify men as women, right

As a member of the LGBT community I would say it can be, yeah. The amount of young men I've known who have or have struggled through eating disorders, the same as young women who see these unreachable ideals in media. When people brush off sexualized dudes or overly buff/attractive men in media as 'just a power fantasy' or whatever it really pisses me off, because The Adonis Factor is a real loving issue facing gay men (and even a lot of straight boys roiding up to meet ideals these days!) and sexualization in media is a big part of that.

Like it isn't just little girls that seeing this stuff hurts.

e: not entirely the right thread for this but still worth responding to your q w/ my thoughts imo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I actually do find it a little weird that people find 2B's outfit unacceptably sexual and fanservice-ey, because it's so close to outfits I normally wear that the things that would stand in the way of me dressing like that are that my body physically couldn't pull it off, not that I'd look like some sexual fantasy.

So... sorry that people actually dress like that, I guess?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also yeah, as far as typical JRPG chicks go 2B is dressed p modestly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Unrealistic body expectations in a world where everyone's getting fatter and fatter is a recipe for some kind of mental snap, though I feel the problem's fix should be to somehow make it easier for people to not become bloated hambeasts rather than say it is harmful to see just how well-toned a body can be. Frankly, I feel like the problem is the opposite of people harming themselves trying to look good -- it's people increasingly looking worse and accepting it. It used to not be a rarity to find a person of average body weight and build.

JRPGs have never had realistic bodies because Japan is a land of skinny people and they base their fantasies upon beauty rather than brawn. A fantasy hero in the West is like Conan or a knight in armor -- fantasy heroes in Japan are fey and beautiful youths. To that end, as well, they prefer outlandish and fantastical costumes rather than attempting something "realistic".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:agreed:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

esperterra posted:

Also yeah, as far as typical JRPG chicks go 2B is dressed p modestly.

I feel like if she weren't moving at a million miles per hour at all given points, it wouldn't even be a blip. That speed both calls attention to the fact she can apparently run that fast in heels (and I mean, android, so I'll give it to her) and makes the slit reveal a lot more than it would otherwise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

8-Bit Scholar posted:

fantasy heroes in Japan are fey and beautiful youths.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, I don't think that's official artwork! They were all David Bowie when Amano drew them!

I'm not owned I'm not owned!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not owned I'm not owned!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To that end, as well, they prefer outlandish and fantastical costumes rather than attempting something "realistic".

i think that's just the character designer drawing clothes. there are plenty western artists whose ideals don't lie in the human form, but in their ridiculous costumes

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Unrealistic body expectations in a world where everyone's getting fatter and fatter is a recipe for some kind of mental snap, though I feel the problem's fix should be to somehow make it easier for people to not become bloated hambeasts rather than say it is harmful to see just how well-toned a body can be. Frankly, I feel like the problem is the opposite of people harming themselves trying to look good -- it's people increasingly looking worse and accepting it. It used to not be a rarity to find a person of average body weight and build.

Surely, calling people things like “bloated hambeasts” is not at all part of the problem. It's the fault of those fatties for not loathing themselves enough!

EDIT: More importantly,

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 27, 2018

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Introducing a friend of mine, who said FFX was his favorite FF (only played 4 and the PS1 ffs I think), to X-2. He was completely speechless for like the first 7 minutes of gameplay, and then after beating the prologue mission was like, "Well, that just completely destroyed everything I loved about FFX".

I'm glad X-2 exists

on the bright side he does seem to dig the job system at least

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The world isn't overrun with 500 pound women, "people increasingly looking worse and accepting it" is a bizarre way to describe the situation, and you generally seem as broke brained and hateful about this as you are everything else

Like your post seems to imply that the entire world is mostly obese and ugly now, or something, which is an insane thing to think because even in a fat rear end country like America most people are either normal or overweight rather than obese, and if you think people who are 15 pounds overweight or w/e are "bloated hambeasts" or objectively ugly or w/e you're in no position to hold a discussion about what is or used to be or should be "normal"

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 27, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Look at Steiner. He's pretty drat large in stature yet he's the best character in the entire series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He also wears steel slippers with no socks and probably some kind of eyeliner. He's a grade A dork.

And he ends up with possibly one of the best ladies in the series.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wizard on a water slide posted:

The world isn't overrun with 500 pound women, "people increasingly looking worse and accepting it" is a bizarre way to describe the situation, and you generally seem as broke brained and hateful about this as you are everything else

Like your post seems to imply that the entire world is mostly obese and ugly now, or something, which is an insane thing to think because even in a fat rear end country like America most people are either normal or overweight rather than obese, and if you think people who are 15 pounds overweight or w/e are "bloated hambeasts" or objectively ugly or w/e you're in no position to hold a discussion about what is or used to be or should be "normal"

I'm talking about America (and some corners of the First World), and if you want any evidence of this, I mean look around. I see a lot of really obese people, and children too. It's kind of a problem, I think, a big problem. And I don't think that the best solution to that is to tell people it's okay to be unhealthy. Obviously Americans take poo poo way too far and you have extreme obesity and extreme fitness, but even across the middle of the spectrum, we're a pretty thick populace, you can basically use your eyes to confirm that.

As usual you project a lot onto my posts, No, there's no reason to be mean to anyone over their appearance (though are you, on the Something Awful forums which has :btroll: expressing umbrage that I used a crude term for fat people? holy poo poo) but I'm not advocating for bullying -- I'm simply saying that I don't think the larger problem of our society is that people are trying too hard to be healthy, I think people may want to be healthful, but are saddled with addictions to high fructose corn syrup, processed sugars, and salt, and so consume unhealthy quantities of unhealthy food. There's HFCS in apple sauce for crying out loud.

Mega64 posted:

Look at Steiner. He's pretty drat large in stature yet he's the best character in the entire series.

Steiner is all muscle and rust

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wizard on a water slide posted:

i think he's talkin more about the shift in perception. in the 80s, chunk on the goonies was "fat." today, you see unhealthily overweight contestants on wheel of fortune but people call them skinny or normal-sized. as the average weight of people in first world countries gradually rises, the baseline perception of what constitutes fat, and what constitutes a healthy size, shifts in a direction that isn't good for anyone at all. me, i'm fit but still a little chubby, and people see me and think i'm super healthy. i'm not! i could lose ten, even fifteen pounds of extra fat right where i stand!

8 bit scholar is extreme in his wording, but the trend they're describing, i also think it's not so good.

otoh, in the kingdom of two chins, the man with one has a super easy time dating :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Heck, I'd dress in any of these outfits

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

He also wears steel slippers with no socks and probably some kind of eyeliner. He's a grade A dork.

And he ends up with possibly one of the best ladies in the series.

I replayed FFIX recently and I totally forgot they hooked up. It was a very sweet surprise :shobon:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

The best part about this glorious outfit is the random Jalapeño pepper belt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoenin posted:

The best part about this glorious outfit is the random Jalapeño pepper belt

He's spicy. Nothing random about it.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
True, but I would've imagined he'd opt for a habanero pepper belt

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not gay but if Bartz asked I'd have to say yes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Watching a friend replay through ffx on the remastered version and I forgot just how loving lovely Wakka is.

(also 2B's outfit is excellent)

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 27, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

I'm not gay but if Bartz asked I'd have to say yes.

Please. Don't be crude. His name is Butz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Distant Worlds St Petersburg report: First post-30th Anniversary concert, excellent content. Tsuyoshi Sekito unexpectedly showed up with Nobuo Uematsu, both of whom sat with everyone else in the orchestra pit for the concert. Extremely heavy on the FF7 content, which explains Sekito's presence (he's recomposing Uematsu's work for the FF7 remake). The 7 stuff was counterbalanced with a bunch of stuff from the vault that hasn't been played in a while.

Also, FF13 was absent. Not seeing a problem here.

Setlist:

Distant Worlds Battle Medley (Prelude. FF5 Battle on the Big Bridge, FF10 Battle with Seymour, FF7 Those who Fight, Victory Fanfare)
FF4 Battle With the Four Fiends
FF12 Flash of Steel
FF5 Dear Friends (classical guitar soloist)
FF9 Vamo' alla Flamenco (classical guitar soloist)
FF7 Aerith's Theme
FF15 Apocalypsis Noctis
FF10 Swing de Chocobo
FF8 The Man with the Machine Gun

Intermission

FF7 Opening ~ Bombing Run
FF14 Heavensward (vocal soloist)
FF6 Searching for Friends
FF11 Ronfaure
FF7 JENOVA Complete
FF8 The Oath
FF10 To Zanarkand
FF9 Festival of the Hunt
FF1 Main Theme
Encore: FF7 One Winged Angel (singalong)

Only thing I would have liked to hear was Revenge Twofold, but that isn't a Distant Worlds composition (yet). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqzSqeDqmIs

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 27, 2018