Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Some high end restaurants have an open kitchens for all of those reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, we stopped doing service for that group because they racked up like $50,000 worth of bills that they just decided to go "nah" on.

Get all your boys together, go there, order all of the most expensive food items they have, leave without touching them (because gently caress eating that poo poo if the kitchen is like that) and when they ask you about the bill just go "nah" and walk.

I used to work next to a Chinese restaurant that was inspected by the council. They had a dog tied up in the kitchen, the fridge was full of rotten meat, the kitchen was basically open air and they had a "severe cockroach infestation". They were shut down, then opened up 3 weeks later, having taken no action. A camera crew and reporter from one of those "current affairs" programs came in to interview the owner, and as he was telling them to leave, the cameraman stepped into a spot in the dining room floor where there was just carpet over a hole in the floorboards. and hosed his ankle up.

I'm sure it was a complete coincidence when the owner moved back to China a week later and then a stolen car was driven through the front of the restaurant at high speed.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I worked in the kitchen of a mid/high end chain steakhouse. The kitchens are very much dependant on the chef. This dude was Red Seal and didn't gently caress around. If you had any down time he had you moving anything and everything and cleaning behind/over/under. We even turned off the fans in the coolers and cleaned in there. Never seen another operation like that one.

I get a lot of calls for failed batteries in emergency light units. Who'd have thought mounting the loving things where the batteries get way too loving hot was a bad idea? Restaurants are great though because they'll put off regular hours service but they'll call us down after hours on weekends when the issue is bothering customers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I knew a dude that did fire inspections for a while, he said after he took that job up he stopped eating at all the restaurants near his fire house.

One case he mentioned that stuck in my mine was a place that rinsed their noodles in the same sink they washed dishes. :barf:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I worked with a guy who worked at this one Chinese place and he swears up and down that uneaten rice (came in a bowl as a side with every meal) went back in the steam kettle.

Saw a bunch of guys get fired. One guy came from Perkins or Applebees and tried to loving microwave a steak because he was awful at grilling. Another guy got let go same day he was hired because he knocked himself unconscious with the latch for the dumpster fence. Third guy made it past probation and as a celebration did a fuckton of xanax or something and came in to work so completely hosed out of his gourd that he could not identify basic kitchen implements.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Breakfast Feud posted:

I worked in the kitchen of a mid/high end chain steakhouse. The kitchens are very much dependant on the chef. This dude was Red Seal and didn't gently caress around. If you had any down time he had you moving anything and everything and cleaning behind/over/under. We even turned off the fans in the coolers and cleaned in there. Never seen another operation like that one.

I get a lot of calls for failed batteries in emergency light units. Who'd have thought mounting the loving things where the batteries get way too loving hot was a bad idea? Restaurants are great though because they'll put off regular hours service but they'll call us down after hours on weekends when the issue is bothering customers.

It's very weird the way some places are. Like some places you'd expect to be nasty grease pits, say for example, Taco Bell, actually have very, very high standards for how things are to be run and maintained. Like we got subcontracted to do a few PMs for them, and they had a big checklist, only wanted you to use Fluke temp probes, wanted the serial numbers off everything, including the tstats. It was all older equipment, but it was in very good shape.

And then on the flipside you've got horror shows like the aforementioned steakhouse. Kitchens are weird man.

That being said, under no circumstances should anyone ever eat at Dennys.
NEVER EVER.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Um yeah. Had a good time eating at a Denny's and they'd serve wine coolers to you when you were 16 after hours.

Are most of these places in Florida or out west that you are describing?

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
The first job I ever had was washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant, and they sure as hell wanted me to put any uneaten rice back in the steamer. Never did though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Colostomy Bag posted:

Um yeah. Had a good time eating at a Denny's and they'd serve wine coolers to you when you were 16 after hours.

Are most of these places in Florida or out west that you are describing?
They're all in FL.

Dennys was the worst any place we serviced. Each store was different, but they all had pretty similar setups.
All the refrigeration equipment was custom built in place. I actually worked with the guy who installed some of the stuff, and it was all installed like 30 years ago. So of course now you've got this mish-mash of ancient rack equipment that's been hacked up, reworked, and nothing's labeled. All the stuff in the kitchen is coated in grease, and you pretty much had to shovel a mountain of rotten crap out of the cases if you wanted to work on anything there. Like literal piles of stuff that used to be french fries, veggies, eggshells, etc. And bugs a plenty of course.

It wasn't uncommon to see them leave meats out for hours at a time. Or to leave all the drawers/doors open on the line. The boxes were always running warm there.

The most mind boggling thing I saw there though was on a set of freezer drawers. They had one on each side of the kitchen. One had gone down. So I pulled everything out, and I'm greeted by a an explosion of wires coming out of a J-box in the back. I found an extension cord wired in there. Traced it out, and it ran out of that box, across the kitchen, into another box, out of that one, into the freezer on the other side, to power up the fans and heaters in there :psyduck:

And when I told the manager about it, his response was basically: "So what's the issue?" :psypop:
We ended up getting the quote approved to redo it all. Added a proper covered J-box, liquidtite runs, a proper temp controller. When we re-did the refrigeration lines we found that there were three solenoids on the liquid line, all independently controlled. We cut all that out, added 1 controller and and one solenoid. Then after we finished everything else, got it looking nice and pretty, the compressor crapped out. :negative:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Sometimes you find an install just hanging on by a thread or maybe held together by some unholy spirit the installer had summoned and when you get it all good and proper it just can't handle the change.

Ask me about moped ignitions...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol. Yeah, guessed it was FL just based on the previous explanation.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Sometimes you find an install just hanging on by a thread or maybe held together by some unholy spirit the installer had summoned and when you get it all good and proper it just can't handle the change.

I can't guess how many times a new customer would show up, I'd take their car for a drive, stop in the parking lot without leaving it, and ask them how often they added brake fluid.

Every day.... They all dumped more brake fluid in it every day.

Replace a caliper, a line blows. Replace the line, another part starts to weep. Rust is like a fuse for pressure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ExplodingSims posted:

It's very weird the way some places are. Like some places you'd expect to be nasty grease pits, say for example, Taco Bell, actually have very, very high standards for how things are to be run and maintained.

Because if they gently caress around, they will get poo poo on by Corporate. Yum! Brands doesn't want to see "Taco Bell in Tampa Florida was technically constructed out of human feces" in the news. Whereas the pho place that gets 38 violations including not having any hot water will just open up a few weeks later without caring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleanliness issues at restaurants is actually a testament to our body's capacity to save us from a universe that really wants us dead.

Way to go, white blood cells.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

I can't guess how many times a new customer would show up, I'd take their car for a drive, stop in the parking lot without leaving it, and ask them how often they added brake fluid.

Replace a caliper, a line blows. Replace the line, another part starts to weep. Rust is like a fuse for pressure.

Y'know...at least they were diligent, right?

If municipal health violations have taught me anything it's never go into the public hot tubs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

I think it is some miracle from above when and how the lines fail. It is quite an unsettling feeling when it hits.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Friend of mine made me promise to never eat at a restaurant in an airport that was on the other side of Immigration Control.

His reasoning was that as the location was legally outside of the country, it wasn't subject to food standard laws.

I wasn't sure if that was correct or not, but he had enough anecdotes involving raw sewage that I decided to act as if it were.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Breakfast Feud posted:

Initially read this as Mopar ignitions. Made complete sense.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Mopar is a mental illness.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The restaurant industry runs on loving insanely thin margins because nobody wants to pay for labor or for living wages for service employees.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

It's very weird the way some places are. Like some places you'd expect to be nasty grease pits, say for example, Taco Bell, actually have very, very high standards for how things are to be run and maintained. Like we got subcontracted to do a few PMs for them, and they had a big checklist, only wanted you to use Fluke temp probes, wanted the serial numbers off everything, including the tstats. It was all older equipment, but it was in very good shape.

Depends on if it's a franchise or corporate store, and even then, depends on the owner or area manager.

The Pizza Huts I worked in were loving DISGUSTING, and were owned by one of the larger franchisees. Somehow their corporate inspections went fine, except we'd get dinged for poo poo like "STR not wearing his nametag or uniform" (because we're not open yet and I'm still doing prep, and it's already 120 loving degrees because you fucks won't fix the ac), instead of the 6 week old burnt black grease in the fryers and the fryer that shoots a nice puff of fire out of the back every time it ignites. We got dinged because I brought in a box fan and had it positioned to blow on me while I was doing dishes (20 ft away from the dishwasher, but still on a GFCI); of the 3 RTUs, 1 had a working compressor (cooled the front lobby only, had a cracked heat exchanger), 1 had a working furnace (heated the kitchen, compressor would occasionally kick on), 3rd was totally dead (fan would run, that's it). The thermostats usually showed "99", because they only had 2 digit displays.

The Papa John's I worked in were generally spotless, but we scrubbed those floors every single night with a brush. If you do it daily or every other day, it adds 5-10 minutes to closing (assuming 1 person doing the entire store), as you're just loosening what the mop itself can't pick up instead of trying to loosen months of grime. If you put it off for months like Pizza Hut did, it adds hours to closing.

The equipment was similarly treated between the two. The GM of the last Pizza Hut I worked at didn't know you were supposed to drain the water out of the hot box (which also controlled humidity) every day... nope, just top it off when it starts beeping and flashing the low water warning. :barf: Even pulled it out of the ops manual for him, there was a floor drain right in front of the drat thing too. "Nah, too much trouble"

PJ's equipment was generally maintained decently - not great, but it did get taken care of. I saw the make tables at PH showing 80+ degrees too many times, and it'd get ignored until too many people complained of getting sick.

i did work in a similarly hot PJ's at one point.. until we got a corporate visit. Corp suit guy walks in, demands to know why the AC isn't on. GM says "both of them are on, they can't keep up with the oven" (this is back when PJ's used "finger vents" instead of full hoods, so you lost a ton of oven heat into the room). 2 weeks later, we got a 3rd RTU, and that store went from an oven to decent. Once they installed a proper hood, that store became a freezer.

It's all about the franchisee, really. Or the chef in a nice place.

I've worked in some indie places too... I have a list of places I will never, ever eat at in DFW. I know BBQ places in particular tend to be pretty dirty, but there's one that was just horrifying (cooks smoking in the kitchen and ashing everywhere, back doors wide open with no screen or blower, flies galore, no hats or hairnets, etc).

Cojawfee posted:

Because if they gently caress around, they will get poo poo on by Corporate. Yum! Brands doesn't want to see "Taco Bell in Tampa Florida was technically constructed out of human feces" in the news. Whereas the pho place that gets 38 violations including not having any hot water will just open up a few weeks later without caring.

The Pizza Huts I worked at were all within 20 miles of the Yum! brands TX HQ. The franchisee I worked for was one of their larger ones though (not in DFW, but he owns a lot of smaller markets in TX, in many brands, and recently bought franchising rights for a BBQ place I liked [until I found out he has the franchise rights]).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 27, 2018

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

spog posted:

Friend of mine made me promise to never eat at a restaurant in an airport that was on the other side of Immigration Control.

His reasoning was that as the location was legally outside of the country, it wasn't subject to food standard laws.

I wasn't sure if that was correct or not, but he had enough anecdotes involving raw sewage that I decided to act as if it were.

This is also why you shouldn't go on cruises: people get murdered all the time, and the authorities can't touch 'em because it's international waters.

Seriously though, it's not "legally outside the country." Immigration and border control are not, by themselves, borders. People who work on the other side (eg. restaurant staff) don't have to show their passports to go to work.

And anyway do you even need to go through immigration on your way out? I guess some Asian countries do it, but I've never done it in Canada or the US. On the way in it's usually your first stop and there are no restaurants prior to it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Worldwide it's far more common to get your passport stamped on the way out than not. The US and Canada are unusually permissive, and I'm surprised they haven't started doing it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > Horrible Mechanical Failures: Don't eat at Denny's

I used to work at a Denny's. It wasn't that bad. Mostly. Every 4-6 months we'd have some guy from corporate come inspect us, in addition to the regular health department random checks. The Corporate guy was quite thorough TBH, things like crumbs in the folds of the weather stripping around the fridge, prepped foods that were more than X hours/days old and whatnot, steam table and cold table temperatures etc.

gently caress do I have some stories about that place though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

"It's a feature. Keeps the car warm in winter. And the surrounding firefighters"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

wesleywillis posted:

Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > Horrible Mechanical Failures: Don't eat at Denny's

gently caress do I have some stories about that place though.

:justpost:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Check out Mr Cool Parking

E: wrong Bad Car Stuff thread, whatever. His brain is the mechanical failure.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 28, 2018

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

The Door Frame posted:

"It's a feature. Keeps the car warm in winter. And the surrounding firefighters"

CE Lancer?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I started a thread in (I think) A/T several years ago, different account obv. I got called an rear end in a top hat, it got poo poo on and gassed within a few days.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
How much would you pay for a vintage s10? 2 grand? What if I told you it was an electric conversion using a whole bunch of 6 volt lead acid batteries? Does 6 grand sound okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TZzZD7fDQ

These dudes did just that, but then sank something like 34k Canadian into the loving thing by using lithium cells and custom fabricating a whole pile of poo poo for it. 34 grand spent on an otherwise bone stock s10 and there isn't even regenerative braking.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy poo poo am i glad that the health inspectors here in Australia actually have some teeth... There was a deli here in Adelaide that was selling expired food and copped a $20K fine for their efforts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wesleywillis posted:

I started a thread in (I think) A/T several years ago, different account obv. I got called an rear end in a top hat, it got poo poo on and gassed within a few days.

gently caress it, man. Throw some stories in the chat thread.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Holy poo poo am i glad that the health inspectors here in Australia actually have some teeth... There was a deli here in Adelaide that was selling expired food and copped a $20K fine for their efforts.

It gets better when you check a place on the name and shame list and they rack up like $10k in fines. They don’t tend to hand them out unless you gently caress up repeatedly and don’t fix what they tell you to fix. Having come from kitchens health inspectors are pretty easy to deal with as long as you keep your kitchen clean. Same can’t be said for the fridge that managed to degas itself every fortnight for close to two years. It’d only happen when we were shut Monday Tuesday and you’d come into a fridge sitting at 20c filled with chicken and other meat that didn’t get served.
The horrible failure was the fridge mechanic just regassing the system when it crapped out rather than chasing the leak. It ended up not being in the 100 mts of gas line that ran to the compressor and back but in the fridge itself. It would have cost the owners a fairly large chunk of cash not just in lost stock but the re-gas that cost $300 a go every fortnight for 2 years.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Ferremit posted:

There was a Brumbies bakery here in Brisbane that was on the name and shame list for like 5 years running. I think their last fines totalled about 90k or something ridiculous.

I used to deliver to a store just up from it and no matter what time I was there there was always the same lady chainsmoking in the back section.

One place I deliver to now used to defrost chicken in the rear sink by just running cold water over it. Had the biggest roaches I've ever seen in my life as well.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You know how every 'how to burp your cooling system' article and video says to 'elevate the front of the car? I learned this weekend why

I had the miata on stands, so it was level. I wanted to burp the cooling system and all that and check for leaks. I idled it for a while, goosed the throttle a few times, and waited with the rad cap off. I knew the exact moment the thermostat opened because a thick green geyser erupted out of the opening. Ah, now I know why you elevate the front of the car, to put the top of the radiator above the thermostat neck. And knowing is half the battle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ferremit posted:

Nandos are constantly fined in WA

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BloodBag posted:

You know how every 'how to burp your cooling system' article and video says to 'elevate the front of the car? I learned this weekend why

I had the miata on stands, so it was level. I wanted to burp the cooling system and all that and check for leaks. I idled it for a while, goosed the throttle a few times, and waited with the rad cap off. I knew the exact moment the thermostat opened because a thick green geyser erupted out of the opening. Ah, now I know why you elevate the front of the car, to put the top of the radiator above the thermostat neck. And knowing is half the battle.

I bought a v6 99 camaro in Guam for 600 bucks, because it kept overheating and 3 separate owners and a shop couldn't fix it.

After I put the t stat back in, and put the car on ramps to burp it, I sold it on again for 1800. Car never had another issue. The rad on those cars is like 4" lower than the block, it'll never loving bleed properly if level.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My old Fiat 124 was the same, don’t open the radiator cap if you’re parked on level ground.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bitch we talking about lovely cooling systems and having to use ramps for bleeding let me tell you about Ford's 4.0 SOHC.

The heater core top loop is about 10 inches above the radiator fill, and a 90's Explorer is still a Very Big Vehicle to Tilt :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BloodBag posted:

Have you never shotgunned a beer?