Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sorry I was not aware the dead gay forums were actually a prison bbs except for some of those loving rad front page articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

So move on. Find someone else, who can talk about this stuff like an adult. You won't die if your dick stays dry for a night. You'll probably save yourself further trouble down the road by not having a clearly immature or neurotic sexual partner.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've done. We're just pointing out that the uncertainty in cultural expectations, as everything changes fairly rapidly, is making things difficult. Somewhere, the woman who wants to be swept off her feet and thinks talking about explicit consent is a mood killer is going to be wondering why no one finds her attractive, or whatever.

We can accept that the shift in culture around sexual behaviour was fully necessary and largely beneficial, while accepting at the same time that it's created some problems of its own that we have to work through as a society.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As a single straight white dude actively dating, it's not loving hard. Learn how to have empathy and read body language and just don't be a loving goony autist, jesus christ.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Millions of millennials swipe right for consent, canpol can’t seem to figure out what body language signals show interest before whipping your dicks out.

That's actually a great policy. Never take your own dick out and you're pretty well covered.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I do wonder what the current climate means for someone entering politics in say 10 years in their 40s who did stupid stuff in the 20s. How will they approach it? I’m not just talking borderline sexual harassment behaviour, but stuff like sending nude pics or posting dumb poo poo on the internet. Being really into Ayn Rand at 17, which isn’t exceptional except now your posting history is there for everyone to see. Is there going to be a mea culpa moment where you just let it all out right at the start?

It's part of why I feel like the movement from usernames to real names on the internet was a horrible idea.

People do stupid poo poo, that's a fact of life. What's going to be important is the determination of where the line is between something stupid and forgivable and where something is absolutely abominable (I think the line will wind up more severe than it probably should be when all is said and done).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I do wonder what the current climate means for someone entering politics in say 10 years in their 40s who did stupid stuff in the 20s. How will they approach it? I’m not just talking borderline sexual harassment behaviour, but stuff like sending nude pics or posting dumb poo poo on the internet. Being really into Ayn Rand at 17, which isn’t exceptional except now your posting history is there for everyone to see. Is there going to be a mea culpa moment where you just let it all out right at the start?

To be honest the whole "I sent nude pics when I was younger" (in the consensual, to-a-romantic-partner kind of way) has already caused problems for people. Mostly for women because double standards/slut shaming/all that bullshit, but it's definitely already a thing that anything you have ever done will be used by political opponents against you at some point, and the existence of social media just makes their job a lot easier. Honestly I think the "mea culpa" approach might be the only way to deal with it - at some point the culture in general is just going to have to realize that younger people tend to do embarrassing/undignified things and that there's nothing morally wrong with that so just loving get over it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My hope is that it means we will have honest conversations about this stuff. Being open about how you hosed up and what the impact was (even if the only impact to you was that you feel horrible about it) is an opening to a conversation that might lead someone else to not loving up in that way.

Though I realize that isn’t what will actually happen.

e: i went to a men against violence against women thing in Ottawa a couple years ago and we had some really interesting conversations about the way we act, or used to act and it really made me reflect on my behaviour. The one thing that really stuck to me from that was talking about the poo poo I used to say or laugh at in the locker room. It’s good to see how far you’ve come but it’s sobering to realize that you were a part of the problem.

I also wonder about what I’m doing today that I’ll regret 10 years from now when mores have shifted slightly.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 27, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jordan7hm posted:

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Brown and Herh didn’t do this in heir twenties and now it’s coming back to bite them. This is an ongoing pattern of behaviour that can’t be put down to being young and stupid.

I don't think anyone in this thread has defended those fucks.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's actually a great policy. Never take your own dick out and you're pretty well covered.

Exactly. The pro level move is to just look at your crotch repeatedly and then they will fish it out.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 27, 2018

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I'd like too hope as a society we'd be able to go "yeah that was just clearly someone being X" vs "Yep gently caress that person, they're just a lovely human we need to ostracise them for this".

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

bub spank posted:

I'm 2 pages late on this, but on the prairies at least, goof is prison slang for child molester, and some people would get very pissed off if you said it to them.

Granted, I still call my kid a goof all the time, but there are certain contexts where you don't want to use the word.

Yeah, my mom, who was working in the crown prosecutor's office at the time (almost ten years ago, I believe), explicitly warned me one day, pretty much out of nowhere, not to call strangers a "goof", probably because she'd just seen a case pass through the office in the previous week of some guy stabbing another guy to death for calling him that, noting it had "serious negative connotations" that she didn't go into in depth at the time. I may have called the family cat a "goofball" at the time, because, well, he could act like one.

It's weird, but true.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

You're already starting to see this with Wab Kinew making some pretty offensive tweets as a young man and then running for Manitoba NDP leader. He apologized for it and while I remember it being a bit insincere I may be misremembering. I think it was a minor issue during the leadership campaign and the PCs will try to make it a big issue during a provincial election.

There will be a bit of an adjustment period but my guess is that in the future we'll see public figures acknowledge and apologize for previous morally questionable situations at the earliest possible opportunity. As long as the conduct wasn't illegal and the apology is sincere and accepted and recent behaviour has been upstanding, I think most people would be willing to look past a lot of things. To put it more cynically, apologizing ahead of time let's the man control the narrative while the headline grabbing allegations are basically an automatic firing.

Obviously this only works if the things you've done are relatively not too bad. There's no way somebody like, say, Weinstein could have gotten away with a preemptive apology.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Yeah, my mom, who was working in the crown prosecutor's office at the time (almost ten years ago, I believe), explicitly warned me one day, pretty much out of nowhere, not to call strangers a "goof", probably because she'd just seen a case pass through the office in the previous week of some guy stabbing another guy to death for calling him that, noting it had "serious negative connotations" that she didn't go into in depth at the time. I may have called the family cat a "goofball" at the time, because, well, he could act like one.

It's weird, but true.

To be honest, given that the context is mainly related to prison culture, it's probably something that's not too likely to happen accidentally anyway. Like I've never been to prison, but I imagine if I was there I probably wouldn't refer to my fellow prisoners with the same terms of endearment one might use to refer to a child or pet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have a tattoo that, as long as I never go to prison, isn’t a big thing. If I do go to prison though I’ve had a bunch of people tell me it could be a very bad thing to have (three leaf clover, not an AB thing but apparently close enough). Good incentive to not gently caress up.

The Wab Kinew thing is interesting because he didn’t anticipate that, he reacted to it. I don’t think we’ve seen a lot of people throw out their warts to get in front of them. Trudeau did a bit with the weed, but that’s pretty minor.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I've done. We're just pointing out that the uncertainty in cultural expectations, as everything changes fairly rapidly, is making things difficult. Somewhere, the woman who wants to be swept off her feet and thinks talking about explicit consent is a mood killer is going to be wondering why no one finds her attractive, or whatever.

We can accept that the shift in culture around sexual behaviour was fully necessary and largely beneficial, while accepting at the same time that it's created some problems of its own that we have to work through as a society.
I guess so. Half of why the sex ed programs need updating is so that people will be able to have these frank discussions with their partners without it being "embarrassing" or "ambiguous". Which, as someone else already mentioned, predators like PB thrive on that ambiguity, which results from their young victims' embarrassment about something they don't properly understand because they were never taught.

I mean, it's not like anything good would be lost if "I just want a big strong man to come sweep me off my feet but I don't want to have to vocalize this desire" went out of style. I've always found it annoying and *~;;problematic;;~*

It's pretty common in the gay scene too, for more or less the same reason

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/WendyMesleyCBC/status/956990503337172992

Turn away CBC, turn awaaaaaay.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Finally the left and right can come together to agree it's time to abolish the CBC.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I'm going to post this now every time I see a post with that douche in it

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/891670167394164736

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
After hearing this I can never not envision him as Kermit the Frog spouting word salad with a dressing of philosophy terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4EIVgEe5U

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

I've never heard of CAFE before but they can officially go gently caress themselves

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2018/01/25/critic-of-feminism-to-speak-at-red-pill-screening

Fun fact: Grande Prairie has one of the highest child prostitution rates in all of Canada!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Fuuuuuuck you CI

quote:

Ottawa poised to help newspapers in coming federal budget

OTTAWA — The federal government is signalling that the country's newspaper industry is set to get financial help, with the minister in charge of the file vowing of measures in this year's budget and officials ready to meet with publishers to talk details.

The exact value and details of the financing will be laid out in the budget that has been delivered in late March each of the past two years.

Expectations are high that the Liberals will allocate more money and change the rules around the Canada Periodical Fund to provide funding beyond print magazines, non-daily newspapers and digital periodicals as the industry looks for a viable business model in the digital age.

Heritage Minister Melanie Joly discussed the matter during a meeting Thursday with representatives of the Federation nationale des communications, a Quebec union that represents 6,000 people who work in culture and communications.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there a conflict of interest here?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a conflict of interest here?

Yeah really. Who among us is not cheering the death of big player print media?

If they are getting handouts, it's just another nail in the coffin.

They've been making poo poo worse for everyone for decades.

A few glimpses of light here and there but overall it's just loving garbage pitting common people against each other.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No.44 posted:

I've never heard of CAFE before but they can officially go gently caress themselves

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2018/01/25/critic-of-feminism-to-speak-at-red-pill-screening

Fun fact: Grande Prairie has one of the highest child prostitution rates in all of Canada!

Both CAFE and Karen Straughan are complete trash

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I keep seeing Jordan Peterson come up now on FB and it’s loving weird. His poo poo is infecting people.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I keep seeing Jordan Peterson come up now on FB and it’s loving weird. His poo poo is infecting people.

He has come up in 2 of the other pol threads here in the last couple days.

We are spreading a horrible disease to the world. :ohdear:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Maybe we should throw more money and attention at him to see if that makes him go away.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Butcher posted:

Maybe we should throw more money and attention at him to see if that makes him go away.

The Conrad Black Tactic

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Risky Bisquick posted:

We need some names

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/957040625655930880

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it's true what they say, ignorant is Bliss

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
The Manitoba Party will save the province!

https://twitter.com/garymbparty/status/957140799027806209

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If you look at all the replies, it's really superb. He starts arguing with multiple women about the finer points of menstruation. Why? Why would you do that? What possible train of thought leads any man to the point where he thinks "it would be a good idea to argue with women about their periods?"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

If you look at all the replies, it's really superb. He starts arguing with multiple women about the finer points of menstruation. Why? Why would you do that? What possible train of thought leads any man to the point where he thinks "it would be a good idea to argue with women about their periods?"

This is good.

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/957079665159450624

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/957131196424634368

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 27, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how he thinks women spend $5-$10/year on tampons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

He’s saying they spend that much in tax. Which is still low probably but that’s like 100-300$ (I don’t know what the tax rate is in Manitoba).

I think we had this come up last time this was proposed, but I think it’s a bad way to spend money. Directed money to low income women, good. Tax cut that benefits women who spend more, bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

I think (hope) he means women spend that in GST on tampons, so $105-210/year total, and he just phrased it like an idiot because he is, in fact, a giant dumb idiot.

That still doesn't address the issue of why he thinks it's any of his loving business, of course. Although "giant dumb idiot" explains that rather succinctly too, I suppose.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I think we had this come up last time this was proposed, but I think it’s a bad way to spend money. Directed money to low income women, good. Tax cut that benefits women who spend more, bad.

You could say that about any GST-exempt item, though?

The idea is that essential goods do not have sales tax applied, and feminine hygiene products are essential under any definition of that word I can possibly conceive of.

Arguing that tampons should be taxed is, without a doubt, the absolute loving dumbest hill to fight and die on.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fringe politicians are my favourite because they haven't learned how to play the game yet. They act like any other person on social media but they're totally unprepared for the scrutiny that comes with identifying themselves as potential government leaders.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
@moebius_strip is a canpol pro-follow in general btw

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/956034786996441088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

@moebius_strip is a canpol pro-follow in general btw

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/956034786996441088

Provided you ignore her pro-Israel nonsense, which can become a little tiresome. She's no Bibi, but she has an unfortunate habit of conflating criticism of Israel with anti-semitism.