Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Alikchi posted:

This is very much a wip and you'd need to backdate your EU4 version to work but I'm working on updating it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303749032&searchtext=

Awesome! I didn't think you'd ever update it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Gotta love endless warring with Great Britain and France (and sometimes Portugal gets pulled in) as a pagan in South America because..they decided a single province in the middle of my country along the coast is worth the giant gobs of attrition and slowly ticking warscore against them. France has a CN in Columbia that I keep plundering for provinces which would be reasonable to push me out of (but don't ever start wars over them for some reason). However, GB has the Caribbean to itself and seems to be more focused on North America so their declaration, especially when I'm rivals to their rivals, seems oddly misplaced. Their last war with me was just blockades from Cuba until they suddenly showed up with transports while France had declared for about half a year.

Of course now that France accepted my Concede Defeat they are bleeding men because they foolishly marched a ~50 stack into their CN which is totally surrounded by my country. They're locked inside the steaming jungle without enough space to spread out.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Mountaineer posted:

Awesome! I didn't think you'd ever update it.

Lol yeah well. I keep circling back to it every couple of years. The constant dlc and patching makes it hard to stay updated, but on the plus side Paradox keeps adding game systems that are way more elegant than the event- and decision-based kludges I'd been using to do what I want to do. Always more to be done! :sun:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't think i've had a europe dow me as an american since the colonial nation changes. but i've only done a few since then and i was pretty hefty by the time they showed up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

If I was gonna complain about an age's objectives/abilities I'd go with the reformation. It's just... so so reformation based, with NOTHING as a replacement for anyone outside it.

You're joking, right? The only ability that's specific to the reformation is the state edict. All the other ones are generally useful, unless you're completely landlocked, don't use mercs, and are surrounded by members of your religion. There's also only one objective that's specific to the reformation.

The -25% warscore cost vs. other religions is loving amazing, probably one of the best age abilities in there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think he means the objectives which are a bit hard to get outside of europe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's still just the one for joining the reformation though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Getting all your cultural group can be a bit tricky, but finishing religious or humanist ideas is incredibly easy since you want to take one of those around this time anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also you get credit for converting provinces and force converting countries even before the age starts. It's pretty easy to start the age of reformation with 3 objectives complete.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm having trouble finding a blank current-version world map I can color in Paint. Does anyone have a link, or is there a better way to do that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fister Roboto posted:

Also you get credit for converting provinces and force converting countries even before the age starts. It's pretty easy to start the age of reformation with 3 objectives complete.

:drat:

This is going to be a good age for me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"oh a call to arms from Austria? Wait they're at war with Russia? Guess it was bound to happen at some point .... WAIT WHAT?!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I'm having trouble finding a blank current-version world map I can color in Paint. Does anyone have a link, or is there a better way to do that?
http://d-maps.com/index.php?lang=en

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Hmm I see you found a way to get rid of the most annoying features of EU4 while keeping the core gameplay.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

Hmm I see you found a way to get rid of the most annoying features of EU4 while keeping the core gameplay.

he's an ISIL map maker I think

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

If you have photoshop it's simple to make one. Open provinces.bmp, in the filter gallery find glowing edges, crank the sliders so it gives 1 pixel-wide borders:

with magic wand select the black background and put it on a layer behind, then fill it as white, and then set the lines you left on the other layer to black.

and then you're done:

I would have just given you the image, but this way you can make one yourself if you wanna base it off any mod's map too, like mine, for instance:

no I'm totally not just self promoting. Unrelatedly, holy gently caress is province modding tedious.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Great, Poland PU'd Lithuania and Sweden so, rip this iron man game I guess.

Poland can fight off Austria, Spain, the Ottomans and myself all at once. Rip.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Great, Poland PU'd Lithuania and Sweden so, rip this iron man game I guess.

Poland can fight off Austria, Spain, the Ottomans and myself all at once. Rip.

They get an event to PU Lithuania don’t be tilted by that. Sweden is mostly strong from their ideas and events so if Poland really is that strong just wait til they integrate Sweden and get paradoxically much weaker.

That said, there’s no way that’s true. PLC is always a paper tiger

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alexandria isnt a CoT anymore?

Also why the gently caress do I only get generals with 5+ Fire pips and zero Shock pips in the first year of any game I start?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Continuing to mod, ran into a problem. Modding Savoy, when I run the game, it shows up as having "nogovernment" as its form of government. Game still runs okay. This is what the history/country file on Savoy says;
#Savoy
government = feudal_monarchy
government_rank = 1
primary_culture = piedmontese
add_accepted_culture = swiss
religion = catholic
technology_group = western
capital = 205 # chambery

1421.1.25 = {
monarch = {
name = "Matthias"
birth_date = 1421.1.20
dynasty = "von Bremen"
adm = 5
dip = 4
mil = 0
}
}

1426.6.23 = {
heir = {
name = "Karl"
monarch_name = "Karl II"
dynasty = "von Bremen"
birth_date = 1442.6.23
death_date = 1496.4.16
claim = 95
adm = 2
dip = 2
mil = 1
}
}

No other country has this problem. Any ideas what the issue is? I am really stumped on this one.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 27, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Koramei posted:

If you have photoshop it's simple to make one. Open provinces.bmp, in the filter gallery find glowing edges, crank the sliders so it gives 1 pixel-wide borders:

with magic wand select the black background and put it on a layer behind, then fill it as white, and then set the lines you left on the other layer to black.

and then you're done:

I would have just given you the image, but this way you can make one yourself if you wanna base it off any mod's map too, like mine, for instance:

no I'm totally not just self promoting. Unrelatedly, holy gently caress is province modding tedious.

Huh, thanks for that, this actually looks pretty cool and should be good for doing placement with Thyrork when we actually do it :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Inca did not survive multiple hell wars with Great Britain, France, Spain and Portugal all DoWing one after another after another after another until there was significant overlap and I did not have the military to fight a two-front war. Did pretty well but I think I needed to work harder to secure one side completely so the enemy does not consider it a good spot to land troops. Portugal's Rio du Prata was one such place, allowing Spain and Portugal to drop in behind while I was concerned about the Columbia front with France, Spain and Portugal.

Ideas were Economic (figured multiple gold mines meant getting on top of inflation would be a good idea early on), Defensive, Exploration, Quantity and Admin. Stayed Pagan which probably made me isolated from any potential useful allies; even Aztecs weren't too keen if they ever knew of my existence. I used GB's coffers and inability to land troops to fund 10 heavies that did a wonderful job clearing the coastline..until GB surprised them once and utterly demolished them. Anything else I might have missed?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main thing you're missing is that you shouldn't fight the Europeans if you don't think you can easily win. Surrendering early and giving up a few token provinces is way better than fighting a long, bloody war. You can always take them back when you're in a better position to fight.

If you do have to fight, you don't have to defend everything. Keeping them off your capitol and the objective province is usually enough to keep your warscore positive.

Taking economic ideas just for the inflation reduction isn't a great choice, because at most it saves you 3.75 ADM a year. The rest of the ideas in the group are only OK. Quantity also isn't the be-all end-all it used to be. Personally I would have gone with admin, exploration, expansion, defensive, and offensive. Only take the +1 colonist from expansion. Once the Europeans arrive you can swap it out for something else. I would suggest religious, but diplomatic or innovative are also good choices, or get offensive earlier.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just cease territory until it becomes a colonial nation. Then declare war on the colonial nation as parent european nations aren't called into wars with colonial nations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Inca did not survive multiple hell wars with Great Britain, France, Spain and Portugal all DoWing one after another after another after another until there was significant overlap and I did not have the military to fight a two-front war. Did pretty well but I think I needed to work harder to secure one side completely so the enemy does not consider it a good spot to land troops. Portugal's Rio du Prata was one such place, allowing Spain and Portugal to drop in behind while I was concerned about the Columbia front with France, Spain and Portugal.

Ideas were Economic (figured multiple gold mines meant getting on top of inflation would be a good idea early on), Defensive, Exploration, Quantity and Admin. Stayed Pagan which probably made me isolated from any potential useful allies; even Aztecs weren't too keen if they ever knew of my existence. I used GB's coffers and inability to land troops to fund 10 heavies that did a wonderful job clearing the coastline..until GB surprised them once and utterly demolished them. Anything else I might have missed?

when i did a sungod invasion recently i took uh

exploration
economic
expansion
quantity
humanist (i'm thinking about it and i don't know why, probably just lack of anything other good thing to take given the situation)
quality

ditched exploration and expansion towards the end for defensive and innovative, then picked up offensive too but i stopped the campaign like two ideas in

colonial nations don't call in their overlords if you have your capital in a colonial region, so dow them and leave only a single province. that way any colonies the overlord adds to the region go to the cn and you can let them grow for you between truce cycles

e: forgot one

oddium fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 27, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's what I was doing or trying to do (though probably staying in the wars too long, admittedly) but the war cycles were eating more and more of the territory I'd cede to the CNs. And especially in the last war, Spain was basically demanding provinces smack dab in the middle of my country because they didn't have a CN where I had provinces. It didn't feel like I was making enough gains to continue the struggle. I will take the advice given, though, I'm not particularly strong in my idea choices.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do you have Cradle of Civilization, and if so are you drilling? American natives have a unique advantage in that once they have their region conquered, they can sit around drilling for decades and recruiting generals. It's not unfathomable that you can reach 100 professionalism before the Europeans arrive. In addition to the extra damage and siege ability, professionalism also serves as a manpower reserve - 100 professionalism is equivalent to four times your normal manpower cap.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, I lag behind on expansions until they hit a sale.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How hard is it to make China explode (with Mandate of Heaven)? Is it possible as Japan, or a large-ish country in Southeast Asia? I have a game where I started as one of the little one province states in the Philippines and I now own all of the Philippines and almost all of Borneo, and I can field about 26k troops and 40-ish boats. Would that be large enough, or do I need to be a lot bigger than that, if it's primarily going to be a naval war? If I just pump loads of money into sponsoring rebels in the country, will it just implode without me ever having to actually fight a war against it?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

How hard is it to make China explode (with Mandate of Heaven)? Is it possible as Japan, or a large-ish country in Southeast Asia? I have a game where I started as one of the little one province states in the Philippines and I now own all of the Philippines and almost all of Borneo, and I can field about 26k troops and 40-ish boats. Would that be large enough, or do I need to be a lot bigger than that, if it's primarily going to be a naval war? If I just pump loads of money into sponsoring rebels in the country, will it just implode without me ever having to actually fight a war against it?

I took Ming to 100 warscore, occupied almost all their provinces, and peace-out ~3 times and only managed to break off 2-3 new countries. Seems like 26k is not nearly enough without some trickery.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Red Bones posted:

How hard is it to make China explode (with Mandate of Heaven)?

Pretty hard, but definitely not impossible.

Red Bones posted:

Is it possible as Japan, or a large-ish country in Southeast Asia?

Yes; the latter is probably easier than the former because you will be obliged to be a tributary and therefore be able to get enormous by eating other tributaries. A united Japan can find it a bit trickier to expand into Asia without getting slammed. The easiest way to do it is probably as Russia.

Red Bones posted:

I have a game where I started as one of the little one province states in the Philippines and I now own all of the Philippines and almost all of Borneo, and I can field about 26k troops and 40-ish boats. Would that be large enough, or do I need to be a lot bigger than that, if it's primarily going to be a naval war?

You probably want to be bigger than that. To conduct a war against China as Japan or anywhere else where China can never get a land route, you need either 1) as many troops as they have transports, so that you can move quickly to any province where they are about to land and pick off their stacks as they come in -- they will probably have no general and get a -2 crossing penalty so you don't need to significantly outnumber the biggest stack they can send or 2) enough capital ships to crush any single fleet they can throw at you -- probably about 20 but maybe more. Either 1 or 2 will work for a successful defense, but 2 will allow you to take the offensive as well. However, to do that, you want wayyyyyy more than 26k soldiers. 260k would be more ideal.

Red Bones posted:

If I just pump loads of money into sponsoring rebels in the country, will it just implode without me ever having to actually fight a war against it?

No. You can only ever support one rebel group at a time, and it's virtually certain that Ming will be able to field at least 5x (probably more like 10x) as many troops as any rebels you can support. One rebel group may win a victory or two and siege down some provinces, but successfully declare independence? No way, not unless Ming is dealing with way worse problems.

These way worse problems, unfortunately, you're going to have to cause yourself. Ming will virtually never run into serious trouble without your violent interference. Even if an aggressive Russia gets a border with them and drains away all their mandate, they are still too big to fail on their own. It will probably take multiple wars with them to break them down to a point where you can take the Mandate yourself, which will give them serious penalties which make them highly likely to explode. In general, become tributary, try to expand at the expense of every other tributary, get a serious military tactics advantage on Ming if you can, and declare war when they've just passed a reform and have low mandate. If you can drive their mandate down to 0, their military will be so lovely that you can win wars even at seemingly suicidal number disadvantage. Keep doing this a couple times, be sure to take some Chinese territory so that you can accept 2 Chinese-group cultures, and then after a couple of victorious wars seize the Mandate.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

By the time Russia shows up hasn't most of the cores decayed away?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A lot of the cores never decay because they’re cultural primary nations

e: though tbh for Russia there’s not a whole lot of point in breaking Ming up because you can’t take the Mandate anyway. Just knock them down to 0 mandate and keep them around to shake down for money every few years, they can’t do poo poo to you.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 27, 2018

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Thanks for the pointers. It's mostly because I started a Japan game and I can't pick up the Ryuku Islands and other overseas territory as they are now Ming tributaries, but also because the whole vassal system is kind of annoying and I think breaking it and seeing what happens to the Asian region when the Ming collapses would make the game more interesting for me. How hard would it be to break away as a tributary, if I didn't want to collapse Ming? I'm a tributary in my Philippines game, how big should I get before I break away from them?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you should be a tributary until you don't need to take any other tributary's land

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ming is still really loving stupid even after the recent changes. That It’s basically a requirement for a determined player to take them down, rather than naturally falling to pieces after a hundred years really loving sucks. I’d rather Ming be like the timurids and have it be hard to keep them together rather than hard to break it apart.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I had multiple wars of Bharat + Russia just crush the Ming, they never collapsed entirely. In a way Ming won in the end since I got bored of doing the same war over and over and quit.

Red Bones posted:

How hard would it be to break away as a tributary, if I didn't want to collapse Ming? I'm a tributary in my Philippines game, how big should I get before I break away from them?

Trying to collapse them or not, you'll still have to win a war. You could probably win the "War for Philippines Tribute" if you've got a bigger navy, don't share a land border, and can win by ticking warscore. But Ming will just demand tribute again later.

As far as troops go, probably something like 100k at least, with a tanked mandate. Less if you just have to defend an island against X number of Ming transports.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I only had one war against Ming before it apparently broke.

And that was me beating up their silly tributaries for land in the Phillip Ines.

Straight after bengal declared on them and are now occupying half the nation.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm how? Like the Ming broke into dozens of states? They can easily be 100% occupied and lose a war but not suffer negative effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I had a japan game recently (that i unfortunately hosed up in other ways) where ming just... exploded all on its own as far as I can tell. I looked over around 1480 and all but 1 of the potential revolters had broken off.