Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Coincheck, a major cryptocurrency trading exchange in Tokyo, has been hacked into and has lost about 58 billion yen ($534 million) worth of virtual money, national broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.

Coincheck posted on its website on Friday afternoon that it had suspended withdrawals of almost all cryptocurrencies.

The exchange has already reported the incident to the police and to Japan’s Financial Services Agency, NHK said.

In 2014, Tokyo-based Mt. Gox, which once handled 80 percent of the world’s bitcoin trades, filed for bankruptcy after losing some 850,000 bitcoins - then worth around half a billion U.S. dollars - and $28 million in cash from its bank accounts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-cryptocurrency/tokyo-based-cryptocurrency-exchange-hacked-losing-530-million-nhk-idUSKBN1FF29C

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

Coincheck, a major cryptocurrency trading exchange in Tokyo, has been hacked into and has lost about 58 billion yen ($534 million) worth of virtual money, national broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.

Coincheck posted on its website on Friday afternoon that it had suspended withdrawals of almost all cryptocurrencies.

The exchange has already reported the incident to the police and to Japan’s Financial Services Agency, NHK said.

In 2014, Tokyo-based Mt. Gox, which once handled 80 percent of the world’s bitcoin trades, filed for bankruptcy after losing some 850,000 bitcoins - then worth around half a billion U.S. dollars - and $28 million in cash from its bank accounts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-cryptocurrency/tokyo-based-cryptocurrency-exchange-hacked-losing-530-million-nhk-idUSKBN1FF29C

lol
Why is it referred to as Mt. Gox when it was literally the Magic the Gathering Online Exchange before the card website turned into a bitcoin exchange.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Whole lot of red on the tickers today :allears:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Khorne posted:

Why is it referred to as Mt. Gox when it was literally the Magic the Gathering Online Exchange before the card website turned into a bitcoin exchange.

It's an acronym Magic The Gathering online exchange

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i'm writing a novel about the future with a dyson spehere mining bitcoin and poverty nocoiners dying in a space war

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
wasn’t there some early buttcoiner who was going to become god through guitar and butts?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Khorne posted:

Because as with everything Bitcoin, most people have no idea how stupid the truth really is.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I regret I have but one account to FUD about Bitcoin

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha Mayo posted:

I regret I have but one account to FUD about Bitcoin

Lowtax can help you with that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

It's an acronym Magic The Gathering online exchange
I get that MTGOX is an acronym for it. I disagree with using Mt. Gox as the acronym, though. Calling it Mt. Gox is just giving some legitimacy to something that was like baby's first php website with more security flaws than my first attempt at making a php website when I was 13.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lime Tonics posted:

lol

Almost all withdrawals are stopped, I wonder who gets to withdrawal.

And why the gently caress does auntraceable non governmental libertarian currency contact the drat police?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Everything is valueless. We all assign value based off of supply and demand. I demand bitcoin a whole lot and have none, so it should be worth at least 1 girlfriend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghosTTy posted:

i'm writing a novel about the future with a dyson spehere mining bitcoin and poverty nocoiners dying in a space war
Why are you wasting that time which you could spend hodling and becoming richer in bitcoin?

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

joats posted:

I demand bitcoin a whole lot and have none, so it should be worth at least 1 girlfriend.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

let it mellow posted:

wasn’t there some early buttcoiner who was going to become god through guitar and butts?

yo dank had some other ideas too

https://bitcointalk.to/index.php?topic=325070.40

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

orange sky posted:

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/956998119866150912

I find this to be quite a scathing critique in the end. We also have open doors in our economy through which a few can get most of the value we create if they have no moral standards

On the other hand, lmfao it's gonna be funny when someone abuses this

It's actually the other way around. The machines are mining Bitcoin because they were easy to hack. Installing a miner is one of the most common malicious payloads.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Remember Alpha Mayo

The bitch who tried to mess with Bitcoin, and got cryptowned :boom:

Have you bought your Bitcoin yet, citizen?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

throughout the book keep that lack of detail about the war the nocoiners die in to subtly indicate that the lives and deaths of nocoiners are meaningless

99% about the great works of the hodlers. 1% about nocoiners maybe living but mostly probably dying. in some war apparently of concern to nocoiners... like animals

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
This guy who chills at my work been investing into bitcoin and just today he told me about how he just pumped a few grand into tron coins and they are 10 cent now and guaranteed to be worth at least 20k by 2020.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I feel like "never going to zero" is a really low bar. I mean I can take a shovel and grab a wheelbarrow of dirt and that will also have nonzero vale.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Khorne posted:

I get that MTGOX is an acronym for it. I disagree with using Mt. Gox as the acronym, though. Calling it Mt. Gox is just giving some legitimacy to something that was like baby's first php website with more security flaws than my first attempt at making a php website when I was 13.

if u think a website name has any bearing on legitimacy welp

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bip Roberts posted:

I feel like "never going to zero" is a really low bar. I mean I can take a shovel and grab a wheelbarrow of dirt and that will also have nonzero vale.

Tulips never went to zero. You can still buy them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

better add in a bit about how the block discovery time was extended to 30 minutes, since the sun is about 8 light-minutes away from Earth

if your story is going to include planets beyond that then lol your technical premise is hosed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallows posted:

This guy who chills at my work been investing into bitcoin and just today he told me about how he just pumped a few grand into tron coins and they are 10 cent now and guaranteed to be worth at least 20k by 2020.

Ask him if he considered taking out a personal loan to buy even more tron coins, and if not why not

I mean if they're guaranteed to increase by 200000% then that totally beats the interest rate on any loan and since it's guaranteed he'd be a fool to not talk to Jimmy the Loan Shark

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wanna live in a world where you have to pay a trash removal company to haul away your unwanted crypto currencies.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

better add in a bit about how the block discovery time was extended to 30 minutes, since the sun is about 8 light-minutes away from Earth

if your story is going to include planets beyond that then lol your technical premise is hosed

theres a chapter where we send all the nocoiners into the sun

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
please, it costs way less delta-v to shoot things out of the solar system than it does to shoot things into the sun.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

it's worth it because you don't want alien first impressions to be bitcoin. that's an existential risk right there

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

please, it costs way less delta-v to shoot things out of the solar system than it does to shoot things into the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvR1fRTW8g

Just in case someone wondered why.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ya but wasn’t there a thread where he was gonna play guitar and turn into god and also he’d never played guitar before

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghosTTy posted:

theres a chapter where we send all the nocoiners into the sun
"We"?

You mean you permit others to hold the Bitcoin that could be yours?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

joats posted:

Everything is valueless. We all assign value based off of supply and demand. I demand bitcoin a whole lot and have none, so it should be worth at least 1 girlfriend.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

save some for the hash browns

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ya if ur a real doll

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bip Roberts posted:

I wanna live in a world where you have to pay a trash removal company to haul away your unwanted crypto currencies.
you only get one wallet and all your crypto is in it so you have to pay to get rid of the embarrassing uncool ones

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

"We"?

You mean you permit others to hold the Bitcoin that could be yours?

the hodl we

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

thanks for this!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wouldn't the amount you'd need to decelerate be far less than what's needed for a "straight" dive at the sun?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Wouldn't the amount you'd need to decelerate be far less than what's needed for a "straight" dive at the sun?

Anything shy of a straight dive is just a very oval orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

if the sun had an atmosphere that reached just almost to the earth then you yeah you would only have to decelerate a little to get into that and then you would inevitably get sucked down into the sun (youre thinking about how things work on earth)
but instead there is a vacuum and you just orbit on whatever elliptical path you start on