Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you were wondering what happened to TrueCrypt...

This is part of a whole series about this guy. Quite a ride.

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

this is some Kaiser Soze poo poo, except he's briefly disguising himself as Bruce Schneider instead of Verbal Kent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
All this spectre/meltdown stuff, what's the actual risk to the kind of end-user who only uses their unpatched device for loving around on social media? A malicious JS somehow runs for days and eventually pulls a cached password out of memory?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

All this spectre/meltdown stuff, what's the actual risk to the kind of end-user who only uses their unpatched device for loving around on social media? A malicious JS somehow runs for days and eventually pulls a cached password out of memory?
If your browser doesn't have the right mitigations, it might be more like minutes. And we have to hope they didn't miss any subtle ways for JS to accurately measure time.

But yes passwords, or any files you've opened recently.

Not many other paths to get in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Malicious JS runs for seconds and pulls current passwords out of memory as you type them.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Cheers. For this hypothetical home user, how important is a microcode update if the OS and browser are patched?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nothing matters.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you were wondering what happened to TrueCrypt...

This is part of a whole series about this guy. Quite a ride.

I am on Episode 6. BEWARE! This rabbit hole is loving DEEP!

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know the answer is wipe and reinstall if you think there might be a virus, but if I can’t convince someone to do that, what’s the next best thing? I’m taking a look at my neighbor’s dad’s computer in exchange for a tow my neighbor gave me. He thinks there’s a virus.

He might have adware or just a PC full of random poo poo but the probability of a random user being able to actually detect a virus on their PC is near nonexistent. Why does he think he have a virus? There is probably something else wrong and you should focus on determining why he is concerned and tracking down whatever its root cause is, instead of focusing too much on his speculation of evil hacker viruses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm really hoping it's not a virus. The thing is that it's my neighbor's dad's, and his dad is halfway across the country (at a cancer treatment center), so all I've got to go on is second hand. It probably is just slow and full of bloat and ads. Is there anything else I should be running to search for poo poo, though?

If I find Bonzi Buddy somehow I'll make sure to let you all know.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
My general tidy-up flow for relatives etc is very simple. If there is something undesirable-but-not-outright-virus running on the PC, the crucial bit is that it has to run to do anything. This means that it either exists as its own process or as a plugin in some other process.

So I just go through all browser plugins, removing any that seem suspect, and then go through all running and autostarting processes, removing any that are suspect from disk and autostart. That's it - last time I encountered something that needed anything more in depth than this on a personal device was over 15 years ago.

Sysinternals procexp and autoruns are good tools for this. It does rather require you to have a good feel for what is expected and what is not, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My parents only use web pages and were already exclusively users of Gmail etc., so a Chromebox was the ideal thing for them. As long as it's plugged in it works.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ComboFix was always my go-to for bringing a malware'd box back to sanity when they REALLY didn't want to wipe and reinstall. Looks like it still exists and is still being updated, although I haven't used it in years and can't speak to how well it currently works.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bleeping computer in general is a pretty good resource for cleaning up personal computers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

EssOEss posted:

My general tidy-up flow for relatives etc is very simple. If there is something undesirable-but-not-outright-virus running on the PC, the crucial bit is that it has to run to do anything. This means that it either exists as its own process or as a plugin in some other process.

So I just go through all browser plugins, removing any that seem suspect, and then go through all running and autostarting processes, removing any that are suspect from disk and autostart. That's it - last time I encountered something that needed anything more in depth than this on a personal device was over 15 years ago.

Sysinternals procexp and autoruns are good tools for this. It does rather require you to have a good feel for what is expected and what is not, though.

I taught my mom to learn how to use noscript and i love she was able to reconize how much bullshit it blocks when you start blocking everything not five of her main websites she visits.

She even brags about it to while my uncles, aunt's, and cousin computers are constantly being infected by malware.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

ComboFix was always my go-to for bringing a malware'd box back to sanity when they REALLY didn't want to wipe and reinstall. Looks like it still exists and is still being updated, although I haven't used it in years and can't speak to how well it currently works.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Congrats on using an awful tool to address malware.

Read this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723583

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/957681287740968961

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That strava heat map is insane. I played with it last night and it’s stupid easy to find sensitive locations pretty much anywhere you want to look around.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

Congrats on using an awful tool to address malware.

Read this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723583

Is the Sophos bootable thing still the best way to go? And since it boots it’s own OS, there’s no risk of bringing something back on the USB drive when it goes into another computer, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ll download Malwarebytes

Scroll up like 10 posts.

E: in another thread :kiddo:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Scroll up like 10 posts.

E: in another thread :kiddo:

Does Malwarebyes suck now or always? We always used it at two jobs I had. What I found out shortly before leaving the last one was that we used it illegally because we used the free download version which has a line in the EULA forbidding business use.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It, like all anti viruses, can only detect a small number of attacks and cannot guarantee that you got everything. In exchange for this questionable value you increase the size of your computer’s attack surface.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I think I found this on SA but I can't remember where so here we go

Opsec

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/957317886112124928

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Were we having a hard time finding military bases before?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think it's less being able to find military bases and more being able to see patrol routes and traffic patterns.

Though, I question exactly how useful that is either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thermopyle posted:

I think it's less being able to find military bases and more being able to see patrol routes and traffic patterns.

People go to prison for collecting exactly this kind of information for the enemy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People go to prison for collecting exactly this kind of information for the enemy.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's terribly useful information either. People go to prison for lots of things that are silly.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's terribly useful information either. People go to prison for lots of things that are silly.

If you're planning an attack on a base it's this kind of information you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Though, probably useful is the wrong word.

What I really mean, is how likely it is that someone is going to use Strava to do something bad rather than getting their own data.

In other words, will there be an attack on a base because of this data that wouldn't happen otherwise.

I'm not convinced.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

orange sky posted:

I think I found this on SA but I can't remember where so here we go

Opsec

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/957317886112124928

Strava heatmap has been around for years, what’s new about this?

Jose Valasquez posted:

Were we having a hard time finding military bases before?

I know of 6 military bases in my state, all of them are visible on google maps.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Though, probably useful is the wrong word.

What I really mean, is how likely it is that someone is going to use Strava to do something bad rather than getting their own data.

In other words, will there be an attack on a base because of this data that wouldn't happen otherwise.

I'm not convinced.

you, an internet poster: "how is where our staff are jogging every single morning useful info??"
also you: "

"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Truga posted:

you, an internet poster: "how is where our staff are jogging every single morning useful info??"

"

Except I'm not saying "how is this useful information".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Truga posted:

"

In my experience gyms and pt routes are clearly marked on post.

Also, if you are not a felon, get a job as a pizza delivery driver in the town closest to the base in question and you will get more and more useful information than I’ve seen on these strava screenshots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Fool posted:

Also, if you are not a felon, get a job as a pizza delivery driver in the town closest to the base in question and you will get more and more useful information than I’ve seen on these strava screenshots.

Who is delivering pizza to FOBs in Afghanistan?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Fool posted:

Exactly.

The few I've looked at it's not even a big surprise. Oh, people jog around the main thoroughfares, what a surprise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you could go to the effort of doing all that poo poo, but on the other hand, you're an errorist in afghanistan, so you just go to strava.com and circumvent all that :effort:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Truga posted:

you could go to the effort of doing all that poo poo, but on the other hand, you're an errorist in afghanistan, so you just go to strava.com and circumvent all that :effort:

For much worse data, no?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Supposedly part of the leaked data set can include individuals' profiles. China could do some simple data mining against all those SF-86s they got from OPM and figure out where individuals are stationed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Who is delivering pizza to FOBs in Afghanistan?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/24/pizza-hut-re-opens-in-afghanistan-soldiers-satisfy-year-long-pepperoni-cravings/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't see how identifying even the tiniest military outpost's exact location, possibly several of their inhabitants real identities, and their actual real life physical movements could ever be meaningfully used against them by someone with bad intentions when all you have to do is get a pizza route in Mosul.