Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

fatman1683 posted:

Are the regionals actually hiring 1000-hour R-ATP pilots these days? I'm debating on whether it's worth investing in a degree program (I already have one Bachelor's degree) to save 500 hours of flight instructing.

They absolutely are hiring R-ATP grads, and there are some that are doing various kinds of tuition assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Yup, regionals are hiring with an ATP and a pulse, buy that's not true for all regionals anymore. Endeavor, for example, has classes filled for months and is actually turning down qualified applicants. The pay raises worked.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Nice, ok. I'm still not sure the extra time/expense of the R-ATP will put me in a better position than instructing for 1500, but it's good to know it's not pointless.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Do the pilot mills like all atps qualify for the r-atp stuff? Had a dad ask me if his daughter should go to my alma mater and I told him to steer his kid to anything but an aviation degree.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Do the pilot mills like all atps qualify for the r-atp stuff? Had a dad ask me if his daughter should go to my alma mater and I told him to steer his kid to anything but an aviation degree.

Usually not. The FAR states that you have to have a Bachelor's with 60 hours of related coursework to get the 1000-hour ATP, or an Associate's and 30 hours for the 1250. Commercial and instrument ratings have to be done at the school or at an affiliated flight school, and I don't think ATP The Flight School is affiliated with any colleges.

Here's a handy list of the approved R-ATP degree programs:
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/media/Institutional_Authority_List.pdf

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arson Daily posted:

fatman1683 posted:

Usually not. The FAR states that you have to have a Bachelor's with 60 hours of related coursework to get the 1000-hour ATP, or an Associate's and 30 hours for the 1250. Commercial and instrument ratings have to be done at the school or at an affiliated flight school, and I don't think ATP The Flight School is affiliated with any colleges.

Here's a handy list of the approved R-ATP degree programs:
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/media/Institutional_Authority_List.pdf

Additionally, the college issuing the degree has to have some sort of ownership stake in the partner flight school if it's not "their" program, so if it's "outsourced" and they don't have some legal ties to the 141 certificate, there's no R-ATP eligibility.

Some of the pilot mills take part in the incentive schemes, though. Delta Connection Academy Aerosim L3 Academy is part of PSA's Cadet Program.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got up at 5am for a flight this morning that went well, time to sit back and relax in the lounge for a couple hours.

Oh no wait NetJets is here, here’s to several hours of loud as poo poo Fox and Friends.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Got up at 5am for a flight this morning that went well, time to sit back and relax in the lounge for a couple hours.

Oh no wait NetJets is here, here’s to several hours of loud as poo poo Fox and Friends.

How do pilots from other countries react to this stuff when they're flying through the US?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Rolo posted:

Just wait for them to fall asleep and loudly snore then grab the remote. Or tell them you saw someone walking off with their crew meals.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whenever a Vision Jet checks in, I have resolved myself to refer to it as “Cirrus Two Four One Bravo Juliet,” instead of “Vision Jet Two Four One Bravo Juliet.”

I am a petty motherfucker, but that’s what you get for making me vector King Airs around you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any time I get told about cirrus traffic I say I’m looking for the chute.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rolo posted:

Any time I get told about cirrus traffic I say I’m looking for the chute.

:golfclap: Seriously though is the performance pretty limited on cirrus jets?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

The mention of it made me look it up... https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/pilot/cirrus-vision-jet

Vmo 250kias, Mmo 0.53. :crossarms:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butt Reactor posted:

Ceiling is 28,000ft, though I’m not sure if that’s the actual service ceiling, or if they just don’t plan to get them RVSM certified.

They’re slower and climb worse than an Eclipse, which is saying something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Perhaps unfair of me to say, I have no idea what the purchasing considerations might be, but why on God’s green earth would you buy one of these over a used King Air 90 unless you hate your money?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a longstanding theory that rich dumb people think props are bad no matter what.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I have a longstanding theory that rich dumb people think props are bad no matter what.

I really think the vision jet is the pinnacle of doctor killing technology.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone here interacted with a Hondajet enough to have opinions about them?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Has anyone here interacted with a Hondajet enough to have opinions about them?

It’s a lightish jet; Kinda slow in the climb, but speeds up at cruise and climbs well. They seem to be a nice airplane.

The flight test guys would fly them around my airspace quite a bit before deliveries started. They were cool dudes.

Also cool dudes; Gulfstream’s test department. They came out to the facility and passed out Gulftest patches. :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

It’s a lightish jet; Kinda slow in the climb, but speeds up at cruise and climbs well. They seem to be a nice airplane.

The flight test guys would fly them around my airspace quite a bit before deliveries started. They were cool dudes.

Also cool dudes; Gulfstream’s test department. They came out to the facility and passed out Gulftest patches. :)

I love Gulfstream because every time I visited them as a mechanic they loaded me up with so much free stuff.

Wearing my G650 long sleeve shirt to Food Lion like that’s fuckin right.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

I love Gulfstream because every time I visited them as a mechanic they loaded me up with so much free stuff.

Wearing my G650 long sleeve shirt to Food Lion like that’s fuckin right.

There was a brand-new G550 on the ramp with the Gulfstream sales team and stuff. We walked over and asked to look at the mechanicals. They let us traipse around the plane, poking at servicing ports and panels and whatnot. Good dudes.

That thing doesn't have a hellhole, it's got an aft equipment lounge. It's pure luxury, even for maintainers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There was a brand-new G550 on the ramp with the Gulfstream sales team and stuff. We walked over and asked to look at the mechanicals. They let us traipse around the plane, poking at servicing ports and panels and whatnot. Good dudes.

That thing doesn't have a hellhole, it's got an aft equipment lounge. It's pure luxury, even for maintainers.

The standard mechanic package includes a beanbag chair and lava lamp.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

Ceiling is 28,000ft, though I’m not sure if that’s the actual service ceiling, or if they just don’t plan to get them RVSM certified.

They’re slower and climb worse than an Eclipse, which is saying something.

Somebody designed an aircraft that gives the CRJ-200 a run for its money. :allears:

Plus, King Airs blow the hell out of that thing in the sexy category.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody designed an aircraft that gives the CRJ-200 a run for its money. :allears:

Plus, King Airs blow the hell out of that thing in the sexy category.

I’ll give you my 500fpm climb at whatever speed that gives me and you’re going to like it. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I really think the vision jet is the pinnacle of doctor killing technology.

My thoughts exactly. It’ll kill rich folk at a rate of at least 3.5 Bonanzas!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

Perhaps unfair of me to say, I have no idea what the purchasing considerations might be, but why on God’s green earth would you buy one of these over a used King Air 90 unless you hate your money?

You could get a couple King Air 200s for the price of one of those Cirrus jets on Trade-A-Plane if you did it right.

...or, if you really wanted to be eccentric, Skyway's Dornier 328 cabin trainer apparently: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Turboprop&make=DORNIER&model=328-100&listing_id=2304447&s-type=aircraft

Might make a cool conversation piece.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can’t get over that Mmo of 0.53. How is it that slow? :psyduck:

Honda jet is a real jet - Mmo of 0.72, service ceiling FL430.
https://www.hondajet.com/Content/pdf/RedefinesLightJetCategory.pdf

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 27, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

How do pilots from other countries react to this stuff when they're flying through the US?

I tell them, "no, we get our news from the government here in Canada", then flick my newspaper and try not to laugh my rear end off as everyone else in the pilot lounge smirks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

There’s a CRJ200 that comes off VRB or FPR every day going somewhere up north, and every day, the low side flashes it to us, hoping that somehow, this day is different. Every day, we point and laugh, saying “look at this poo poo, Coastal is flashing us that Mainer CRJ again.” And every day, that loving thing is just barely clearing FL230 (the bottom of high altitude airspace for us,) thirty miles past our northern boundary in Jacksonville center’s airspace.

They are AGGRESSIVELY poor climbers. :v:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
CRJ 200 pilots complaining like they have to pedal it up there...

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My crj-200 buddy used to say that the only way that airplane would get to 36000 feet is if he was dropped from a much larger airplane at 38000 feet. :cool:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I don't spend much time in pilot lounges any more, but every time I do there are NetJets pilots sitting in all the chairs in front of the computers talking to each other while some internet bitch board screen refreshes occasionally. Or one is talking loudly into a bluetooth headset in the snooze room. I nap on the plane these days, no matter how horrible the weather is outside.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

I don't spend much time in pilot lounges any more, but every time I do there are NetJets pilots sitting in all the chairs in front of the computers talking to each other while some internet bitch board screen refreshes occasionally. Or one is talking loudly into a bluetooth headset in the snooze room. I nap on the plane these days, no matter how horrible the weather is outside.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with them and phones? If they’re not on a headset the phones on speaker and they’re holding it a foot away from their face.

Go outside you dumb rear end in a top hat, I’m five feet from you and I’m obviously trying to read.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Does NetJets hire assholes, or does working for NetJets turn people into assholes? The philosophical question of our time.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

Does NetJets hire assholes, or does working for NetJets turn people into assholes? The philosophical question of our time.

It's a corporate climate of assholes.

The shareowners are assholes, and make sure their management reps are assholes, so the HR people that can actually deal with all these assholes are assholes, so the rear end in a top hat HR people hire rear end in a top hat pilots.

If you manage to sneak in, you soon conform or quit. This from an ex-netjets pilot (total time: one month).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I will never understand corporate pilots. A good friend of mine is one and he frequently touts his QoL over regionals, then proceeds to get called in on his days off seemingly every month at least once.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

I will never understand corporate pilots. A good friend of mine is one and he frequently touts his QoL over regionals, then proceeds to get called in on his days off seemingly every month at least once.

QoL really comes and goes depending on the employer. I’m part 91 and while my QoL is good because I’m single with no kids and I work an average of 5-10 days a month, I don’t technically get time off outside of my vacation time. Every single time I bring it up:

[A]
“So I don’t actually get real time off?”

“Yeah just ask for it a couple weeks out and we’ll contract a guy.”

“What if you don’t find anyone to cover?”

“Then we need you to come in.”
[Go To A]

It’s never a big deal because my company tries to work with me and it almost always works out, but some places just don’t give a poo poo about your life and it shows quickly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

CRJ 200 pilots complaining like they have to pedal it up there...

A couple of years ago when Skywest had a “less than optimal airspeed” incident on a CRJ-200, the FAA slapped them with a maximum altitude of FL280 until they could get their poo poo together.

When that first started, there were some very confused controllers wondering why Skywest couldn’t accept higher altitudes, and some very sad sounding pilots explaining that the FAA said they had to stay down there.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I remember when that started, did it ever get lifted or did it become the new norm?

I'm at the airline that's the descendant of the airline with the "let's 410 it dude" accident. They dropped us down to 370 and that's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

QoL really comes and goes depending on the employer. I’m part 91 and while my QoL is good because I’m single with no kids and I work an average of 5-10 days a month, I don’t technically get time off outside of my vacation time. Every single time I bring it up:

[A]
“So I don’t actually get real time off?”

“Yeah just ask for it a couple weeks out and we’ll contract a guy.”

“What if you don’t find anyone to cover?”

“Then we need you to come in.”
[Go To A]

It’s never a big deal because my company tries to work with me and it almost always works out, but some places just don’t give a poo poo about your life and it shows quickly.

One of my friends left Colgan for a home-based corporate flying job but he didn't have health insurance until he confronted his boss, who reluctantly gave in.