Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Being a medic is like a combo of fixer, priest, and belligerent rear end in a top hat parent to lovely unruly children. Oh, and therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And professional shammer.

"Time to paint every rock."

"They need me at the TMC."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If I’m with bunch of grunts, I never dodge any of the bullshit task. I’ll sit with them to infinity doing spme gay army bullshit, so they know I’m cool.

But often I naturally tend to avoid. We don’t have ”permament” line medics in our battalion, we just have a paper medical platoon that gets assigned to clinic, platoons, compnies, and coverages, and other poo poo, and we rotate tasks often, since we can’t afford to keep a medic with the sapper, engineer or recce or commo guys if there is just downtime, so during recovery times, after rotations, etc etc I work at a clinic, or I might be teaching people to shoot at the EST at our indoor range. I got a nice cert to teach people to shoot, so it’s cool. I love it, and secretly my favorites are the soldiers who qualify every 2 years and are in need of Jesus the most with the zero rounds at 30+ cm groupings. It’s like a real life rubik’s cube.

Sometimes I’m assisting with running the VBS lab too because I got that cert for the lulz.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A guy I deployed with got busted for murdering some people over drugs several months ago. The news reports say it was one person, but he has confessed to several other murders.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-army-vet-samuel-shultz-arrested-20171206-story.html

The reason I am posting about this now is because he was also on a Judge Judy episode and I haven't been able to find it... until tonight!! Found it and reuploaded it to the tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSraWqhQ58

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Which one is he??

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the very first guy you see when the video starts in the episode preview who is like "i'll crush you i'll crush you" or whatever

he was also the very first person to pop hot on a piss test after we got back and he never got clean. i don't think he passed a single piss test after deployment.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i knew it was that guy the second i saw his face

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

i knew it was that guy the second i saw his face

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Lmao, drivers training books aren’t 100% straight so right now during a major training exercise nobody can drive a military vehicle

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
On the driver topic, if you can drive a manual SHUT THE gently caress UP on a deployment. This is apparently a rare skill or something so I got to be the bongo bitch in Afghanistan. I was never angry about it because he didn't do it to gently caress me over or out of anger and he was a cool guy, but my SL did me dirty on that one. All chatting me up about cars and asking me what I owned.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

On the driver topic, if you can drive a manual SHUT THE gently caress UP on a deployment. This is apparently a rare skill or something so I got to be the bongo bitch in Afghanistan. I was never angry about it because he didn't do it to gently caress me over or out of anger and he was a cool guy, but my SL did me dirty on that one. All chatting me up about cars and asking me what I owned.

I intended to learn and never got the chance on my last deployment. :gay:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

Lmao, drivers training books aren’t 100% straight so right now during a major training exercise nobody can drive a military vehicle

GCSS army is really the loving worst and has been pushed so hard in my state since a guardsman flipped a military vehicle on public roads completely solo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

I intended to learn and never got the chance on my last deployment. :gay:

:same:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bird food bathtub posted:

The exception to this is Korea.

Well, time to sham out of everything stupid because every thing is stick shift and people got appointments all over the drat place.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I ended up working at the WLC/KATUSA Camp (Camp Jackson) and was the only e4 (out of like 4) on the camp that could drive a stick so I spent every day it felt like driving my NCOIC down to Yongsan to "get supplies" which was just usually code for us going and playing slot machines all day lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Drove a ton on deployment, also due to knowing stick. Those vehicles were death traps and aren’t permitted in the US. Saw several of them wreck over deployment with locals or TCNs inside, with a very high proportion of passengers dead, almost always including the driver.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 26, 2018

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
No one in my detachment could drive a manual transmission so anytime they went out with NTV I would drive. It got me away from my desk or the scif a few times a month, but gently caress driving in downtown Kabul.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Drove a ton on deployment, also due to knowing stick. Those vehicles were death traps and aren’t permitted in the US. Saw several of them wreck over deployment with locals or TCNs inside, with a very high proportion of passengers dead, almost always including the driver.

loving around in the mud in a Hilex on my construction sites was always pretty fun. I wouldn't have wanted to drive most of the vehicles there on an actual road, though.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

So, what are the options for a cell phone and/or internet while deployed to Kuwait?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr_Ruckus posted:

So, what are the options for a cell phone and/or internet while deployed to Kuwait?

I never bothered with a cellphone there, but internet will be available in your room.

If you want to do a little research (on phone kiosks in kuwait), I use this phone pretty much all over the world. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O5EU7TQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just find a phone kiosk (usually right at the airport) and buy a pre-paid sim card in whatever country I'm in.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

When I was there you had to go to MWR to use computers.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
If you want to spend some coin and have a smartphone, get an old Nexus or Pixel and sign up for Google Fi. Service is cheap and it works drat near everywhere on earth.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Just got out of the box. Apache crashed, 2 guys dead. We saw the flash. Leadership didn't even let us know. We just saw the flash and heard "fallen angel" on another troops net we were doing a recon handover with

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ashmole posted:

Just got out of the box. Apache crashed, 2 guys dead. We saw the flash. Leadership didn't even let us know. We just saw the flash and heard "fallen angel" on another troops net we were doing a recon handover with

I mentioned something. That was you guys?!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Soulex posted:

I mentioned something. That was you guys?!

One of the other troops was in John Wayne right where it happened. We we're a few clicks west by bike lake when it happened. Our Squadron and Brigade never even sent a message being like "hey guys, fyi this happened" it was just business as usual.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Depends on where you're at and what sim cards are sold on post. On Arifjan back in 2014-2015 you could only get Ooredoo and at times it was almost useless due to the cellular network being totally saturated. Otherwise Zain seemed to work pretty well when I had it. Bring an unlocked LTE phone and you should be good to go to use it as a hotspot. God help you if you're at Camp Buehring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ashmole posted:

Someone lost another pistol!

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

God help you if you're at Camp Buehring.

That's where I'll be. gently caress. :suicide:

Also, what are the living quarters like there?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A hive of scum and villainy...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Not bad. A trailer divided into 3 sections. Living quarters on either end, and a shared bathroom in the middle.

For a 20 year old it's hell there. For a 30+ year old, who's willing to go to school and exercise, you can leave with a degree and in the best shape of your life.

Get set up for school now at the education center on your base.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 27, 2018

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Ashmole posted:

Flash? All the attack guys I work with are saying its rumored to have been a transmission failure.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Triggs posted:

Flash? All the attack guys I work with are saying its rumored to have been a transmission failure.

Like flash when it crashed. I didn't see it personally, but was on the radio with that other troop when fallen angel was called. I think it crashed on the north wall of John Wayne foothills

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/957271004690214912

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/955884282509234182

we are never ever leaving

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are we a year away from having a Soldier go fight there who wasn't born when it started?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Like flash when it crashed. I didn't see it personally, but was on the radio with that other troop when fallen angel was called. I think it crashed on the north wall of John Wayne foothills

Sucks. I think about two-thirds of fatal apache crashes in the last few years have been materiel or maintenance issues.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Are we a year away from having a Soldier go fight there who wasn't born when it started?

Can't you join at 17 with a parental waiver? Someone born on 12 Sept 2001 could enlist this year if that's an option

:stonklol:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Can't you join at 17 with a parental waiver? Someone born on 12 Sept 2001 could enlist this year if that's an option

:stonklol:

"I go to fight the war my father started." - Some idiot private

I personally know people who've had generations of their family fight in the GWOT. Kids, parents, and grandparents.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

"I go to fight the war my father started." - Some idiot president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My dad did OIF, I did OEF, so yeah.