Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Despera posted:

This might shock you but many adults consume alcoholic beverages and still retain the ability to drive
As far as I’m concerned humans can’t drive safely enough even without alcohol and widespread private use of motor vehicles was a mistake from the beginning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

The only coherent argument I could find is as follows:
Drunk driving laws criminalize a specific BAC. However, it is practically impossible for someone to know what their current BAC is. Rough calculations and guesses work reasonably well, but still leave a fuzzy area. As such, under the current law it is impossible to know if you are breaking the law or not while driving, if you have been drinking at all. Furthermore, the law is targeting a specific state of being, the contents of your blood rather than the consequences of your actions. Therefore, drunk driving laws should be abolished, in favor of A)harsh punishments for actually causing an accident and B)penalties for reckless/impaired driving based on external factors rather than a binary check of blood alchocol.

There's no reason not to play it safe when it comes to human lives. Driving with alcohol in your blood is by definition reckless behaviour. Even if you feel fine your reaction and judgement is impaired and driving a car is in itself a privilege. There's no reason what so ever why someone should *need* to drive with alcohol in the blood. It's a choice you make and for all the wrong reasons.

Where I live the limit is 0.02% and people are not really having a problem with that. Just don't drive the day after you drink. Unless you only had one or two beers then you should be fine.

All cops have breathalysers and all drivers are tested as a matter of routine when stopped by the police.

Police set up checkpoints on Saturday and Sunday mornings where they pull in all cars on a major road and give all drivers breathalyser tests and check their license.

If you do get caught above 0,02% then you get fined based on your income (About 1 months wage, -10% per child or +12% if your total wealth is over $150k) your license is suspended for a year. You may get it back sooner if you have an alcohol lock installed in your car.

If your level is 0,1% or higher your license is suspended for 2 years. Instead of getting it back you have to take a new license from scratch like when you first earned it. You get fined (About 3-4 monthly wages) The minimum sentencing for this is prison but the prison sentence will be converted to community service if it's your first conviction for drunk driving.

If you're unsure of your BAC just don't drive. Or don't drink if you know you need to drive the day after.

Katt fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 27, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Katt posted:

Or don't drink if you know you need to drive the day after.
I don't drink at all, but that sounds dumb as gently caress.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Xander77 posted:

In whole countries this is considered common sense. You can drive the day after a few beers but if you went to the bar on Friday night then you take a cab or bus home and don't drive at all on Saturday.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Xander77 posted:

The RBTs in Australia (that stands for Roadside Breath Testing) pick up a lot of people the morning after a holiday because they're still hungover and therefore over the limit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

#FursuitFriday ain't no secret, son.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All of your friends are loving lame Zelda.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Never thought I'd see Payne endorse electric cars and mass transit.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

You can buy vegan quorn! :eng101:

A hardcore vegan probably wouldn't eat fake meat anyway though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A hardcore vegan should be eaten for his meat.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Katt posted:

In whole countries this is considered common sense. You can drive the day after a few beers but if you went to the bar on Friday night then you take a cab or bus home and don't drive at all on Saturday.

Welp I now have zero understanding on how being drunk words. Thought the day after drinking you have some sort of hangover and you aren't impaired anymore. Like it has seriously been what is taught (kinda) in the States. You don't drive after you drink but once you sleep it off you're good.

Mantis42 posted:

All of your friends are loving lame Zelda.

Being such a vegan that you would potentially put stress on a friend who wants to cook you dinner seems like a real dick move.

I have nothing but sympathy for whoever is Gluten intolerant, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ularg posted:

Welp I now have zero understanding on how being drunk words. Thought the day after drinking you have some sort of hangover and you aren't impaired anymore. Like it has seriously been what is taught (kinda) in the States. You don't drive after you drink but once you sleep it off you're good.

You need to give your body time to process the alcohol out of your system, and that varies depending on how much you have and your persona metabolism. It's possible to drink so much/metabolize alcohol so slowly that you still wake up drunk after a full nights sleep. More commonly you have a bunch of people who stopped drinking only a few hours before, caught a little sleep, and then get busted for a DUI in the morning because they're still pissed.

Katt must come from some place with some intense drinkers if waking up drunk is normal enough to make 'don't drive a whole day after drinking a lot' common wisdom.

(P.S. don't' drive with a bad hangover either)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can't wait for robotic cars to become reliable so that I don't have to listen to the how-much-is-too-much-alcohol-limit arguments.
the reduction in drunk accidents would also be good.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I can't wait for robotic cars to become reliable so that I don't have to listen to the how-much-is-too-much-alcohol-limit arguments.
the reduction in drunk accidents would also be good.

They will continue to bust people as long as you're sitting in the drivers seat. Like how there are times where you can get a DUI from sleeping in the drivers seat of your car after drinking, even when you are parked and have no intention to drive until you're sober tomorrow.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So the pro advice is sleep it off in the backseat? Good to know.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A hardcore vegan should be eaten for his meat.

Well, Zeldas in a relationship, and I think two of them are lesbians....

Pants Donkey posted:

Choice nuggets from the Garrison AMA

quote:

What do you think is the biggest thing we can do (both as individuals and The New Right movement) to ensure success in the 2018 midterm elections?

quote:

We need to educate people that we are a REPUBLIC and not a democracy. Hillary, Obama and their ilk keep saying 'our democracy this' and 'our democracy that.' It drives me nuts, but that's what the tyrants want--a democracy where they and their media meld the minds of the mob to vote for bigger government largesse and the erosion of individual rights. Once people understand the insidious nature of 'democracy' they'll be less inclined to vote away their liberty. We are a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

Leaving aside that it takes two seconds for Garrison to go full fascist, yet still insist that taking voting away from everyone is the only way to ensure our rights, what the gently caress does his answer have to do with the question? So his only solution to Republicans facing consequences for what they do and say, is to just tell people that their voting is stupid and you shouldn't do it?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

there wolf posted:

You need to give your body time to process the alcohol out of your system, and that varies depending on how much you have and your persona metabolism. It's possible to drink so much/metabolize alcohol so slowly that you still wake up drunk after a full nights sleep. More commonly you have a bunch of people who stopped drinking only a few hours before, caught a little sleep, and then get busted for a DUI in the morning because they're still pissed.

Katt must come from some place with some intense drinkers if waking up drunk is normal enough to make 'don't drive a whole day after drinking a lot' common wisdom.

(P.S. don't' drive with a bad hangover either)

It's not about people waking up drunk. It's about people waking up and feeling fine but with enough alcohol left to impair judgement and reaction time in traffic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Leaving aside that it takes two seconds for Garrison to go full fascist, yet still insist that taking voting away from everyone is the only way to ensure our rights, what the gently caress does his answer have to do with the question? So his only solution to Republicans facing consequences for what they do and say, is to just tell people that their voting is stupid and you shouldn't do it?

I think it's just that republic = republicans, democracy = democrats, therefore republic good, democracy bad.

Like it's Garrison, don't over think this stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ramos posted:

I think it's just that republic = republicans, democracy = democrats, therefore republic good, democracy bad.

Like it's Garrison, don't over think this stuff.

This is some Basil Marceaux poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

Garrison believes "democracy" means "big brainwashing gubmint with mob rules" while "republic" means the libertarian freedom to do whatever you want (to minorities).

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Katt posted:

If you're unsure of your BAC just don't drive. Or don't drink if you know you need to drive the day after.

This is way over the top. :psyduck:

Then again, i really like drinking sooo...I am probably not the best person to ask.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"Why would any take objection to drunk driving laws?"

"Also it's totally fine when the Mormon church, proud sponsors of the Zion Wall are able to force through a law even MADD doesn't support."

"Also don't drive for 36 hours after drinking."

"Also ignore the race and class issues inherent in our entire justice system, how this plays out for the 'privilege' of transportation."

Like, I get it. I've lost friends to driving under the influence. American drinking culture is insane, and interacts with our abysmal transportation infrastructure in tragic ways.

But a BAC of .05% IS arbitrary. The risk of accidents increase the higher you go, there is no magic threshold, it's a question of how much risk we as a society are willing to take on. You draw the line somewhere, unless you want to take PA's underage drinking laws and apply them to everyone.

Hint hint, as mentioned above, didn't fix the problem. In practice it would become a prohibition on DWBs, and we already got our insane drug laws to fill that role.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Also, like, we tried the Prohibition. It didn't work. We treat it as glamorous now, but a lot of people died, a lot of people were ruined, and maybe that's why people aren't super keen on it despite "drunk driving is bad" being something everyone claims to agree on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What about crunk driving?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
loving vegans

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

loving vegans

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So the pro advice is sleep it off in the backseat? Good to know.

If you can reach the wheel then you're in control of the vehicle, and drunk driving is being in control of a vehicle while impaired. It's basically to stop people from drinking more when pulled over and going "No, I wasn't. I am now though, so can you take me home officer!" Which I'm not sure is a real problem but that's how law enforcement explained it to us during briefing #1028934729429 on drunk driving while in the military.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

loving vegans

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

It already doesn't mean anything to the artist.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I supposed to care about any of these weirdos or is this just a soft gently caress you to any kind of person the artist meets?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Around here, we have graduated licencing, with an extra, limited driver's license you get after your learner's permit. The only legal blood alcohol level you can have with that license is 0. One beer? You can get a DUI if you're pulled over. Typically people have that one for a few years before they can take a test for their full licence.

You also have to have a sign on the back of your car, an "N" for "New Driver," and there's some limitations about how many passengers you can have.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Zelda got thighs for days.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Retromancer posted:

Zelda got thighs for days.

for real

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This does speak to me when I think about the number of smokers who lecture me on the hazards of eating pasta and any food that contains "e markings"

You would think that smokers would be permanently banned from lecturing people on unhealthy habits. But so many people are smokers that by consensus they collectively decided that smoking doesn't count. So they will admit to one another that they could do with eating less carbs and to sneaking the occasional sugary snack which they feel guilty about. But smoking is not to be mentioned.

It's as if the adverse health effects of canned tuna, refined sugar and GMOs is obvious. But smoking is more a matter of opinion.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
1 :lol:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Holy poo poo Lester, what an aggressively dumb take.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting "president corrupt, so what" as a defense.