Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In the mediocre animated Beowulf film the monsters (Grendal and the Sea Hag) speak old English. It's a cool way to age them while still allowing them to communicate with the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6eA9MMHp3c

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Saint Freak posted:

She's in a shell. I think it is just a turtle joke.

Goddess in a half shell. Vestal power!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I've been watching a bit of Wallace and Gromit lately, and there are some cool callbacks to previous films.

In A Matter of Loaf and Death, at the beginning, there is a sign on the front of the Zoo saying that the penguin from The Wrong Trousers has escaped. When Gromit looks up in his Electronics for Dogs book to build his metal detector, the first page he opens to has a picture of the Techno Trousers from The Wrong Trousers., The cardboard box that Fluffy sleeps in is box of the same brand of dog food that Gromit hides in to watch the penguin plan his heist in The Wrong Trousers. Also, the photo of the two together that Gromit looks at when he is about to run away in The Wrong Trousers is the photo they took on the spaceship in A Grand Day Out. Another one is in The Wrong Trousers, in the background of their house there is a framed giant marrow, which is teh vegetable that Gromit is growing in his greenhouse in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Something else I noticed is taht all the human characters have 5 fingers and 5 toes, but Gromit has 4. Also none of the animal characters ever speak, (the rabbit in Curse of the Were-Rabbit notwithstanding, but that is because it got mind melded with Wallace), instead communicating with their eyebrows/body language.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Jan 26, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The water didn't kill the aliens it was the chemicals in the water. The little girls says constantly that there's chemicals in water. It's just War of the Worlds with tainted tap water instead of the common cold.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

The water didn't kill the aliens it was the chemicals in the water. The little girls says constantly that there's chemicals in water. It's just War of the Worlds with tainted tap water instead of the common cold.

Earth ironically saved by fracking! THAT'S the Shyamalan Twist!

But I think both the "It's demons" and "It's contaminated" theories are trying to bend over backwards to rescue an otherwise good movie from a stupid fridge premise. Demons moreso than contamination.

I still like it a lot because Greys are what creep me out, going back to when I was a kid watching Close Encounters, and it's fun being spooked by things that scare you when they don't actually exist, and it's more fun watching Joaquin Phoenix haul off and smoke one with a baseball bat.

(I also liked The Fourth Kind and Dark Skies.)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like Signs because it's a genuinely suspenseful thriller about a small group of well-sketched characters, but that's just me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mel Gibson is a poo poo human but he turns in an amazing performance in that movie.

Signs honestly isn't that bad, and I don't mind the """twist""" in itself, but Night ruins it by doing flashback after flashback with dramatic music and making you sit there starting at this lovely cg alien and going "get it? Do you get it? Huh? It's what his wife said. Did you get it? See?"

That movie needs a good editor to chop that scene and the one where he gets his little speech after trapping the alien in his kitchen.

The other thing in that movie that bugs me that Shyamalan does a few times is slightly slow down part of a performance in post. Like, someone will stand up and I guess he thought they should have stood up slightly slower because the framerate week drip just for a second and it's jarring as poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Mel Gibson’s best role is PayBack probably because he got to play a poo poo person.

He’s my guilty pleasure. Like I just can’t stay angry at the guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mel Gibson’s best role is PayBack probably because he got to play a poo poo person.

He’s my guilty pleasure. Like I just can’t stay angry at the guy.

Get The Gringo is a really fun watch as well.

He’s not really as much of a trash person as his reputation suggests, either. I read an article about how he’s done a lot to make amends for the lovely things he’s said, but has publicized none of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo Mel Gibson is great in the first Lethal Weapon when he still speaks Australian as gently caress and he is supposed to be Californian. It's good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It really slips through the most whenever he says "Rog"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron von Eevl posted:

It really slips through the most whenever he says "Rog"

Yea his Rs are obvious, but lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v38MMDYEMw

its heavily ADR'd but even still "cigaret" is in Australian

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The vowel sound is a very distinctly Aussie one too. edit: it's like there's a little bit of an au sound to it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Diphthong it's called I think, when a vowel curves towards another.

Ozzies love thongs tho ay? :haw:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Krankenstyle posted:

Ozzies love thongs tho ay? :haw:

I bought a new pair today because my old ones were so worn they kept slipping like crazy every time it was wet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:downsrim:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

for those who worry that they missed some of the above Australianisms, fear thee not:

Just listen to Korean Billy whose small helpers to all dialects English will show you the path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7ikFh7fXw

PS: The scottish ones are recommended

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iajanus posted:

I bought a new pair today because my old ones were so worn they kept slipping like crazy every time it was wet.

I've never liked the rubber they use for thongs, I have some that have soft leather instead for that bit, it works really well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Someone once told me that the longer Mel Gibson's hair is, the better the movie you're currently watching.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Memento posted:

I've never liked the rubber they use for thongs, I have some that have soft leather instead for that bit, it works really well.

Yeah, my old ones were the cheap ones made out of z-grade rubber. The soles were almost worn completely smooth on sections

The new ones almost made me fall over within ten minutes, so bizarre was it to actually have grip

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Someone once told me that the longer Mel Gibson's hair is, the better the movie you're currently watching.

Road Warrior say's that's bullshit, but I guess Beyond Thunerdome helps balance things out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's easier to just make a cutoff at say 1995.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep mixing up Mel Gibson and Russel Crowe in my head.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Inescapable Duck posted:

I keep mixing up Mel Gibson and Russel Crowe in my head.

pro tip: Crowe is fat as hell, Gibson looks like bin Laden

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pneub posted:

Road Warrior say's that's bullshit, but I guess Beyond Thunerdome helps balance things out.

Road Warrior is an odd movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Road Warrior is an odd movie.

They made it on a budget of about $7.45 and they weren't able to close off the public roads they did their stunts on. It's :australia: as gently caress.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like my thongs to lift and separate... OH, I totally misunderstood the conversation :shobon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, to get back on topic, I bought my Dad a movie called Franklyn a few years ago and we watched it together - it had a lot of aspects ripped off of Alan Moore stories, like the title character being practically Rorscarch in appearence but with a plainer mask, but it also had enough of it's own identity through the main characters delusions (it takes place in the real world but Franklyn sees it as a bizarre distopia with the police all being stovepipe-hat and white mask wearing weirdos, and it keeps flashing between reality and fantasy). The subtle thing is that it all builds to the 4 main characters gathering (although they barely know each other and sometimes just don't interact) at a diner to recreate the famous painting, Nighthawks. That was a nice visual.

This is the painting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf was it really Nighthawks? I guess I was more worried about other parts of the plot lol

I watched that movie when it first came on DVD, it's got a great aesthetic iirc, very like that game Dishonored.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, to get back on topic, I bought my Dad a movie called Franklyn a few years ago and we watched it together - it had a lot of aspects ripped off of Alan Moore stories, like the title character being practically Rorscarch in appearence but with a plainer mask, but it also had enough of it's own identity through the main characters delusions (it takes place in the real world but Franklyn sees it as a bizarre distopia with the police all being stovepipe-hat and white mask wearing weirdos, and it keeps flashing between reality and fantasy). The subtle thing is that it all builds to the 4 main characters gathering (although they barely know each other and sometimes just don't interact) at a diner to recreate the famous painting, Nighthawks. That was a nice visual.

This is the painting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawks

Franklyn really wound me up, because the absolutely amazing trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nj6a8U2uk) spliced together two lines into "The girl I was supposed to save...is running out of time" and all the editing flicking back and forth between the different worlds (like the top-hat dude punching cutting to the window shattering) suggested that the movie was going to have loads of time-fuckery, and I spent the whole movie waiting for it to happen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Franklyn is mondo disappointing because they advertised it as some kind of steampunk fantasy vigilante action thriller or something, turns out it’s actually a boring drama about PTSD

e: beaten with video

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trailers are always on that balance between lying about the film and giving you all of the plot. This one manages both lol

It's a pretty good film all in all imo, and Bernard Hill is one of those "hey, it's that guy!" actors who're never anything less but great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Me and my dad both enjoyed it, although he was having fun playing "Spot the Reference" :P

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Trailers are always on that balance between lying about the film and giving you all of the plot. This one manages both lol

It's a pretty good film all in all imo, and Bernard Hill is one of those "hey, it's that guy!" actors who're never anything less but great.

I get irritated when the trailer promises a better movie. Why not just make that one instead? :bahgawd:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tunicate posted:

I get irritated when the trailer promises a better movie. Why not just make that one instead? :bahgawd:

Terminator:Salvation is always the definition for me of an amazing trailer and an absolutely poo poo movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

They made it on a budget of about $7.45 and they weren't able to close off the public roads they did their stunts on. It's :australia: as gently caress.

Also they dubbed everyone's voices back before America's brief love affair with Australia.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also they dubbed everyone's voices back before America's brief love affair with Australia.

The Road Warrior had a dub? I knew Mad Max did, but I never knew that Road Warrior did.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

As someone who has only ever seen Fury Road and Beyond Thunderdome, is Mad Max worth watching or should I just skip ahead to The Road Warrior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've only seen the second half of the first Mad Max (walked in while my brother was watching it) and when the villain is defeated I didn't even notice what was meant to have happened, it's like the movie just stopped. Apparently he was supposed to have been ran over by a truck but I didn't see that happen at all. Of course this means that my only real exposure to the franchise was the PS4 game :v: